Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jusupov posted:

grover maja not in much better condition on the inside, builder ran out of money somehow

What a shame. He ran out of money before he could insulate the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How will the runners stay straight without some drywall to help hold them up?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
On the plus side, it's haunted by Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shifty Pony posted:

Reminds me of these things which have been going up in my neighborhood :

Three types of panelling, two types of roofing, not an ounce of aesthetic style. It could possibly look decent with board and batten on the bottom half and cedar shingles on the top half, but the overall shape and "juttiness" of the house irks me.

Accretionist posted:

Would this count as brutalist or would it be 'modern' or what?

Either way, that is/would be the perfect amount of green-gray balance for brutalism.

This place, while not offensive looking on the outside, still screams "commercial sprawl" to me. If you've ever driven into Toronto along the 400, about half of the offices along the highway look very similar to this.

Also this is pretty much the only location (West coast rainforest) where you can get away with that kind of window arrangement and not be totally paranoid that someone is always watching you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has there ever been an analysis of why people like glass and metal boxes inside a forest setting?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Want a modern, stylish house in the Bay Area? Look no further than an Eichler.

http://www.eichlernetwork.com/article/wonderful-world-eichler-homes

When we were home shopping, people were bidding furiously for Eichlers.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Shifty Pony posted:

Reminds me of these things which have been going up in my neighborhood :

the home builder in the sims is not a valid architectural drafting system dammit

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I was in Macau last month and this monstrosity looms over the city:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Cacator posted:

Jesus. How terrifying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cacator posted:

So... this is the fabled super saiyan level 6. A whole city's worth of power-levels...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheerfullydrab posted:

Has there ever been an analysis of why people like glass and metal boxes inside a forest setting?

They like to look at the forest

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm pretty sure the glass part is easy to figure out.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cacator posted:

I've seen that before

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Default Settings posted:

Thought I'd just drop this link here: http://www.sosbrutalism.org
Great link by the way.

This is the interior of the brutalist Basilica of St Pius X.

There's something so unnerving about the walls or the lighting or maybe the shape of the room.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Great link by the way.

There's something so unnerving about the walls or the lighting or maybe the shape of the room.

It's like the hanger in some super villain's mountain lair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flosofl posted:

It's like the hanger in some super villain's mountain lair.

I was thinking “extraterrestrial base”, but agreed on the hangar part.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Washington Post has a write up about Facebook's offices

quote:

The desk is a white slab, 5-feet long, no drawers. The top has room for her laptop, computer monitor and a few knickknacks. Russell, a brand strategist, also has an office chair and small file cabinet. That’s it. No coat rack. No office phone. Her just-delivered dry cleaning, handled by Facebook, hangs by its metal hangers from the desk’s lip. There are no cubicle walls. No partitions. Her desk sits cheek to jowl in a pod with five other desks, a scene repeated across the cavernous Frank Gehry-designed space filled with 2,800 Facebook employees.

Even chief executive Mark Zuckerberg sits out in the open at one of those simple white desks. An office is not one of perks to being the billionaire founder of one of Silicon Valley's most important companies.

Need privacy? Small meeting rooms are scattered all over. Or slip on headphones.

“That’s the hack for not having office doors,” Russell, 31, said.

What Facebook implemented goes a step further and, for now, remains rare: No walls inside an entire building engineered to facilitate a new way of doing work. Other major Silicon Valley firms such as Apple and Google are planning futuristic workplaces, too.

The design reflects Facebook’s emphasis on openness and transparency. It is set up to encourage collaboration and speed. Natural light pours in through skylights and massive windows as if to point out the passing of time. Building 20’s unfinished look – exposed steel girders, concrete floors and wires dangling from the soaring ceiling to desks below -- recalls a fledgling startup instead of the world’s largest online social network, with 1.5 billion monthly active users worldwide.

“It’s intended to be a symbol of what we believe at Facebook, which is that our work is unfinished,” said Lori Goler, vice president of people.

The lack of offices for Zuckerberg and the rest of his management team is seen by many Facebook employees as proof of the company's openness. They don't even occupy the best office real estate, such as near the soaring windows with stunning views of nearby salt marshes.

But navigating a single room that stretches 1,500 feet long and includes thousands of coworkers can be a challenge. So Facebook installed Wayfinders, touch screens running in-house software that allows you to find any desk.

Oh good job Gehry, you designed an office space so lovely the client had to hack together a mapping program to find desks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Most brutalism I'm not that fond of, but man, it really works for the inside of chapels and such when done right. Wonderfully oppressive.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lt. Tanaka posted:

That would be pretty cool as a garage or an aircraft hangar. As a church, not so much.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Blistex posted:

This place, while not offensive looking on the outside, still screams "commercial sprawl" to me. If you've ever driven into Toronto along the 400, about half of the offices along the highway look very similar to this.

Oh wow, all I can see is a dentist's office now

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
That's very clearly one of the secret maps in the original Quake. Watch out for the pentagram of power up top.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Blistex posted:

Three types of panelling, two types of roofing, not an ounce of aesthetic style. It could possibly look decent with board and batten on the bottom half and cedar shingles on the top half, but the overall shape and "juttiness" of the house irks me.

I chalk it up to mid century modern being extremely in vogue around here but a combination of land price, impermeable cover restrictions, penny-pinching/profit-maximizing developers, and a strange McMansion ordinance results in whatever you call that house.

Basically they want to build a boxy two story house to maximize square footage and stay under the 40% building coverage and 45% impermeable cover limits but also want the $50-100k premium they can get by putting "modern!" on the listing. So they use a bunch of windows, odd roof outcrops, and different materials to hide the box.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lt. Tanaka posted:

Great link by the way.

Just looks like a normal sports book.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure the glass part is easy to figure out.

It's still a sickness. You could post a rendering of a 10x 10 metal and glass cube in a woodland setting on your Facebook right now, and it would get 50 likes. Even if you only have 10 friends. People just love that poo poo.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's still a sickness. You could post a rendering of a 10x 10 metal and glass cube in a woodland setting on your Facebook right now, and it would get 50 likes. Even if you only have 10 friends. People just love that poo poo.

That type of contrast triggers something in our ape brains

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

I like it. It's quite a nice thing really.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

I'm Crap posted:

zaha hadid is poo poo

See, I don't quite agree. Zaha Hadid's first building that actually got made is a fire station in the Vitra campus in Switzerland. As a building, it's fantastic. Sweeping curved concrete, amazing windows, wicked-cool pointy thing. But as a workplace—as a firestation—it's appalling. There's not a right angle in the building (literally). There's no real privacy between male and female showers. The dining table is at a special height to ensure the best view out the windows, which is too low. The countertops are too high. The stairs feel distinctly odd.

This is a hallmark of a great many of Hadid's buildings. Visually, they can be stunning, daring—even breathtaking, sometimes. But they are almost universally unfit for purpose.

Glasgow recently closed its Museum of Transport, and relocated to a new campus, the Riverside Museum. It cost £74m/$111.4m. It looks striking. It is awful to visit. There is little segregation of space; the layout is confusing; floor-space is limited, resulting in a display of some three or four dozen classic cars being stacked on a high vertical wall where they cannot be seen properly, the stairs are embedded in a huge central pillar in such a way that they are virtually impossible to find; the mezzanine space is practically non-Euclidian, and all-in-all I'm very glad it's free. Because it's a loving failure, in my eyes.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's a weird effort to balance a desire for privacy with the urge to show off their conspicuous consumer acumen, with the way a rich person wants to interpret the trendy concept of 'living green'.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh good job Gehry, you designed an office space so lovely the client had to hack together a mapping program to find desks.

I have complaints about the building, but we've had the wall-mounted wayfinder systems since long before we got into the Gehry one. (And a web app longer than the 4 years I've been there.)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jeherrin posted:

This is a hallmark of a great many of Hadid's buildings. Visually, they can be stunning, daring—even breathtaking, sometimes. But they are almost universally unfit for purpose.

If a building is not fit for the purpose it was commissioned for, the architect is poo poo and the building is a failure.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

GotLag posted:

If a building is not fit for the purpose it was commissioned for, the architect is poo poo and the building is a failure.

I'm not sure I agree wholly. Buildings can still have sculptural qualities aside from functional ones. It doesn't make Zaha Hadid an intrinsically poo poo architect, it just means that she is poo poo at providing workable solutions. The question, of course, is whether architecture as a practice can, ever, exist independently of the requirements of a building.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jeherrin posted:

I'm not sure I agree wholly. Buildings can still have sculptural qualities aside from functional ones. It doesn't make Zaha Hadid an intrinsically poo poo architect, it just means that she is poo poo at providing workable solutions. The question, of course, is whether architecture as a practice can, ever, exist independently of the requirements of a building.

Buildings intended for people to inhabit can have sculptural qualities, but they're not sculpture, and an architect who ignores the fact that people are supposed to live and work inside of buildings in favor of making a piece of sculpture is a poo poo architect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It looks like a life-size die-cast model display.

And why not have walkways along each level? There's looks to be room enough for that.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Agreed. You build the form around the function, not the function around the form. You can have incredible, beautiful, daring buildings that still have workable spaces. If a building can't be used as intended, it has fundamentally failed. The problem with many of the starchitects like Hadid and Gehry is they start with a concept, and then try to squeeze in the purpose, and it ends up looking great and being a nightmare to use.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

flosofl posted:

It looks like a life-size die-cast model display.

And why not have walkways along each level? There's looks to be room enough for that.

Something something interior space, probably.

It's loving idiotic.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
In my opinion, a good architect should also be a good engineer, good designer and good artist.
Not all of them are.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Lt. Tanaka posted:

I like it. It's quite a nice thing really.

Terrible to heat and cool and no closet space.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bonster posted:

The problem with many of the starchitects like Hadid and Gehry is they start with a concept, and then try to squeeze in the purpose, and it ends up looking great and being a nightmare to use.

Or more usually, looking like half-melted rear end and being a nightmare to use.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

What happened to the classical concepts of architecture? What happened to columns, arches, vaulted ceilings, domes, pillars, buttresses, statues, fancy doors and windows, and all the fine detail you get with it? Why is the modern idea of architecture just walls of glass/concrete or buildings that are made in unnatural, nonfunctional shapes. When did basic geometry become uncool? I thought people liked older styles of architecture, which is why people want to go and visit places like France and Italy.

Bonster posted:

The problem with many of the starchitects like Hadid and Gehry is they start with a concept, and then try to squeeze in the purpose, and it ends up looking great and being a nightmare to use.
I have yet to see a Ghery building that looks good. All of it looks like a crumpled up piece of paper, or like a melting turd. Ghery is a loving hack, and all he does is build atrocities because he has some sort of personal vendetta against geometry.

Ghery doesn't even bother with the purpose, his buildings are garbage (and shaped like garbage too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

What happened to the classical concepts of architecture?

Nothing "happened" to them, they're part of the toolset. Nothing "happened" to classical concepts of art, but the world of art encompasses more than just those things.

• Locked thread