Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

forkbucket posted:

Ok, slightly edited mine and I'm officially very happy with how it came out. Thanks for the help Libluini, and sorry for the HUD derail.

Here's the color scheme for anyone interested:
code:
<MatrixRed> 1.25, 1.25, 2 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 1, 0.15, -2 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1.25, 0.7, -2 </MatrixBlue>

Don't worry, this just means lots of new color schemes for people to add to their collection. :v:

Of course I'm yanking yours now, to add to my collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Oh man I had no idea you could go over 1 or under 0. This changes everything.

I have a pretty purple one but I'll have to see if I can lighten it up now.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

LCL-Dead posted:

My reaction lately hasn't been to juggle the throttle. I'll drop it just a pinch when I hear the engine pitch change as the engine pitch always signals the eventual overshoot but instead of zeroing out I just bee-line for the planet and pass over it, using the gravity well to drop my speed faster as I angle back towards the station.

Lately I've gone back to just sitting at 75% until ready to disengage and it's been working out fine, are you flying near planets/anything else that might be slowing down the ship? Sometimes if the ship gets slowed down by gravity (or tries to brake to drop at a signal source nearby for no apparent reason) it'll accelerate to try to catch back up to what it "should" be at but overshoots because when it's accelerating it's not, well, decelerating.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

honda whisperer posted:

I think it would be cool if you could plan a route in system like manuver nodes in kerbal. Throttle up and head for the target, flip halfway if you stayed in the gas the whole time, and brake to rendezvous.

That is basically what the original (much better than what the design council, aka grogs who plopped down absurd money for the kickstarter, forced into it's place) method of jumps was. You'd use the galaxy map to plot a multi-system jump, adjusting your course to swing around suns like gravity assists to make you more fuel efficient. The more accurate your jump plot the closer you come out near your target (and if it's way off you might end up who the gently caress knows where). They even had the Wing integration worked out - you'd be able to use jump data from your wingmen so you could let whoever your best navigator was plot the jumps for the whole group (and I think there was also a plan to make squadron jumps more fuel efficient too).

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

DatonKallandor posted:

That is basically what the original (much better than what the design council, aka grogs who plopped down absurd money for the kickstarter, forced into it's place) method of jumps was. You'd use the galaxy map to plot a multi-system jump, adjusting your course to swing around suns like gravity assists to make you more fuel efficient. The more accurate your jump plot the closer you come out near your target (and if it's way off you might end up who the gently caress knows where). They even had the Wing integration worked out - you'd be able to use jump data from your wingmen so you could let whoever your best navigator was plot the jumps for the whole group (and I think there was also a plan to make squadron jumps more fuel efficient too).

Why the gently caress would anyone not think that was cool as hell?

So this is what we get instead? Getting launched into the sun every single jump unless I remember to hold throttle down after the countdown starts, and pointing myself at a circle and pressing a button to do the whole thing over again? :rolleyes:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dessert Rose posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone not think that was cool as hell?

So this is what we get instead? Getting launched into the sun every single jump unless I remember to hold throttle down after the countdown starts, and pointing myself at a circle and pressing a button to do the whole thing over again? :rolleyes:

To be fair, this idea sounds good, but it would probably make people go mad if they want to go some place far away. I sure as hell would rather stop playing then trying to efficiently adjust thousands of suns for my multi-jump. The best I could hope for under this insane system is just lazily plotting a course to the edge of the galaxy or whatever and then letting my multisystem-jump fling me into Andromeda instead, which would rule. But also make me lost in space forever.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So hey guys.

You know Horizons, right? It's cool and you get an SRV to drive around on planet surfaces! Neat! Ready to go jump out in the black with your Asp and your SRV and get ready to explore away? You should know something first.

Your SRV does not run on hydrogen like every ship in the game, it runs on phosphorous and sulfur.
"But KakerMix" you ask, "so what? I'll just load up a few tons of the fuel and be on my way, refueling from the ship is ez"

You can't.
You can not refuel your SRV from your ship, you can only refuel it one of two ways. One, you drive around on a planet surface and look for rock pinatas that explode in the exact same way that fukkin' asteroids do without a prospector drone (you see 'a rock' and you shoot it to see what pops out :negative: ). Two, you dock at a space station and refuel there. That's it. You can not buy extra SRV fuel even though the station has it sitting there because :frontear: and goddamn is this not the most infuriating thing. Originally the SRV wasn't meant to use fuel at all. Now it does but not on hydrogen and you can't refuel from your ship. You either make it aboard your SRV or you fly back to a space station.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=205480

Please help Frontier see that this is dumb as heck if you agree thanks~

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 3, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man, it's been forever since we've heard about the secret design forum cabal that ruined the game :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 3, 2015

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

YellerBill posted:

Lately I've gone back to just sitting at 75% until ready to disengage and it's been working out fine, are you flying near planets/anything else that might be slowing down the ship? Sometimes if the ship gets slowed down by gravity (or tries to brake to drop at a signal source nearby for no apparent reason) it'll accelerate to try to catch back up to what it "should" be at but overshoots because when it's accelerating it's not, well, decelerating.

I just full throttle keeping my target in the top quarter of my screen, throttle back to 75% on overshoot while turning around using gravity to slow me down. I feel this is much faster but maybe I'm just impatient and need something to do.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KakerMix posted:

So hey guys.

You know Horizons, right? It's cool and you get an SRV to drive around on planet surfaces! Neat! Ready to go jump out in the black with your Asp and your SRV and get ready to explore away? You should know something first.

Your SRV does not run on hydrogen like every ship in the game, it runs on phosphorous and sulfur.
"But KakerMix" you ask, "so what? I'll just load up a few tons of the fuel and be on my way, refueling from the ship is ez"

You can't.
You can not refuel your SRV from your ship, you can only refuel it one of two ways. One, you drive around on a planet surface and look for rock pinatas that explode in the exact same way that fukkin' asteroids do without a prospector drone (you see 'a rock' and you shoot it to see what pops out :negative: ). Two, you dock at a space station and refuel there. That's it. You can not buy extra SRV fuel even though the station has it sitting there because :frontear: and goddamn is this not the most infuriating thing. Originally the SRV wasn't meant to use fuel at all. Now it does but not on hydrogen and you can't refuel from your ship. You either make it aboard your SRV or you fly back to a space station.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=205846

During one of the livestreams they said "driving is fun and cool and worrying about fuel is for squares".

I was puzzled by the reversal frankly, because it was an extremely popular design choice pretty much everywhere. Hopefully they can be persuaded to see sense.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 3, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

tooterfish posted:

During one of the livestreams they said "driving is fun and cool and worrying about fuel is for squares".

I was puzzled by the reversal frankly, because it was an extremely popular design choice pretty much everywhere. Hopefully they can be persuaded to see sense.

Yeah hopefully.

Also I linked the wrong thread, this is the hot topic one.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Man, it's been forever since we've heard about the secret design forum cabal that ruined the game :allears:

The Kickstarter tier was a secret?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

The Kickstarter tier was a secret?

Not so much it was a secret but it was full of this shadowy cabal that sucked all fun out of the game.

Kinda reflects your long-standing biases against the game, bruh :shrug:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Frontier Forums posted:

gently caress you mu himursion.

This is exactly what I was expecting but it still pisses me off.

Why am I not allowed to just "have fun"? why does there always have to be a bunch of goddamn preparatory legwork to me having fun?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Well that killed any enthusiasm I had about exploring in the SRV outside of the bubble. Hopefully they see how dumb it is by the time it's out of beta :ohdear:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

I saw that the second to last post has an anime signature and starts out with "Speaking as someone who played survival Minecraft for years," and immediately closed the tab. If this is who you're disagreeing with, godspeed and I hope you win for all our sakes.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well that killed any enthusiasm I had about exploring in the SRV outside of the bubble. Hopefully they see how dumb it is by the time it's out of beta :ohdear:

Actually exploring outside of the bubble is pretty much the only time you will ever reliably come up with surplus SRV fuel. The problem comes in when you try to do "fun" stuff inside the bubble.

I tried to do a race across a crater yesterday and ended up giving up because the guys I was playing with spent 2 hours just trying to get enough fuel to even attempt to go that far.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Astroniomix posted:

Actually exploring outside of the bubble is pretty much the only time you will ever reliably come up with surplus SRV fuel. The problem comes in when you try to do "fun" stuff inside the bubble.

I tried to do a race across a crater yesterday and ended up giving up because the guys I was playing with spent 2 hours just trying to get enough fuel to even attempt to go that far.

Well that's seven kinds of dumb.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well for what it's worth, I've been idly shooting space rocks as I come across them and have enough materials to refuel 10 times so it isn't like the reagents are super rare.

That said, fuel for the SRV is a silly constraint.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KakerMix posted:

So hey guys.

You can't.

I didn't notice the thing needed fuel, period, so I was out driving and having a grand old time and then suddenly I was suffocating.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Well for what it's worth, I've been idly shooting space rocks as I come across them and have enough materials to refuel 10 times so it isn't like the reagents are super rare.

That said, fuel for the SRV is a silly constraint.

Yea it's not super rare once you know to look for it, but it's an annoying grind that serves no purpose.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

Yea it's not super rare once you know to look for it, but it's an annoying grind that serves no purpose.

Not disagreeing.

Then what's the different between the two classes of vehicle hangers you can buy? One weighs twice as much as the other one. I assumed that the heavier one would refuel/repair your SRV's but :effort:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Not disagreeing.

Then what's the different between the two classes of vehicle hangers you can buy? One weighs twice as much as the other one. I assumed that the heavier one would refuel/repair your SRV's but :effort:

I have found no difference. I've tested everything I can think of, their mass is the only difference I've been able to determine.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Shine posted:

I didn't notice the thing needed fuel, period, so I was out driving and having a grand old time and then suddenly I was suffocating.
Just roll the window down you fool!

You can carry more than one SRV.

Sp you can either bring a spare, or bring friends.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

tooterfish posted:

Just roll the window down you fool!
You can carry more than one SRV.

Sp you can either bring a spare, or bring friends.

From what I can see, class impacts the number of SRV's you can carry -- class 4 can carry two, but there's also a G ahd H rating and the only difference between them is that the H rating weighs twice as much.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oh sorry, misread.

No idea then. Maybe H rated is gold plated.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sard posted:

I saw that the second to last post has an anime signature and starts out with "Speaking as someone who played survival Minecraft for years," and immediately closed the tab. If this is who you're disagreeing with, godspeed and I hope you win for all our sakes.

Oh buddy I know Minecraft, don't you worry about that.

From what I can see, class impacts the number of SRV's you can carry -- class 4 can carry two, but there's also a G ahd H rating and the only difference between them is that the H rating weighs twice as much.

Pretty sure that's the only difference, weight.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Let's get to the bottom of this.

Signal boost or whatever.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=206269&p=3185268#post3185268

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
All I want to do is fly a ship and shoot guys and help DF but I've spent the last 10 minutes refreshing and logging if it gets stuck and I haven't even gotten one god drat DF mission, but I see a ton of anti pirate that require allied just waiting for me ugggh

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

All I want to do is fly a ship and shoot guys and help DF but I've spent the last 10 minutes refreshing and logging if it gets stuck and I haven't even gotten one god drat DF mission, but I see a ton of anti pirate that require allied just waiting for me ugggh

Check some of the other stations perhaps. Also can do non-combat missions to get your DF rep up.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
So I picked this game up during the sale and have been having some fun with it. I have a question though, why are they releasing a full priced expansion for an unfinished game?

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Pretty sure that's the only difference, weight.

Weight, power consumption(lol), and cost. That's it. You don't even get the benefit of a gold-plated autism chariot docking bay.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Zizi posted:

Weight, power consumption(lol), and cost. That's it. You don't even get the benefit of a gold-plated autism chariot docking bay.

It's probably a bug but you can deploy the SRV even if the module is turned off. Even if it gets fixed it's a non-issue because you can just keep it powered off until you land.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Touching the hell out of that poop. God i hate the "realism" argument so loving much.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Interesting find.

Thankfully the old ship parked nearby -- I would appreciate a way to transfer cargo from your SRV to the ship without having board it.

These large settlements are one of my favorite things in game. I enjoy the fantasy they create -- slipping in and out of the notches in the outer wall.1

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Didn't they add fuel to the SRVs due to the Fuel Rats bitching? And of course there's no way for the Rats to refuel your SRV anyways... :cripes:

These large settlements are one of my favorite things in game. I enjoy the fantasy they create -- slipping in and out of the notches in the outer wall.1

:yikes:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Tunnel Snakes Rule.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Duo posted:

So I picked this game up during the sale and have been having some fun with it. I have a question though, why are they releasing a full priced expansion for an unfinished game?

People will pay money for it :ms:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, this just means lots of new color schemes for people to add to their collection. :v:

:henget:

DatonKallandor posted:

Holy poo poo, this would've ruled. I love the galaxy map and I would've gone all over the place with this. Also, basically a 'formate' option, that would've been really nice.

Libluini posted:

To be fair, this idea sounds good, but it would probably make people go mad if they want to go some place far away. I sure as hell would rather stop playing then trying to efficiently adjust thousands of suns for my multi-jump. The best I could hope for under this insane system is just lazily plotting a course to the edge of the galaxy or whatever and then letting my multisystem-jump fling me into Andromeda instead, which would rule. But also make me lost in space forever.

Just make several shorter, more manageable multijumps? :shrug: I assume you'd have to drop out to refuel at some point anyway. Still way faster than doing every one by hand, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Cathair posted:

:henget:

Holy poo poo, this would've ruled. I love the galaxy map and I would've gone all over the place with this. Also, basically a 'formate' option, that would've been really nice.

Just make several shorter, more manageable multijumps? :shrug: I assume you'd have to drop out to refuel at some point anyway. Still way faster than doing every one by hand, too.

isnt that just integalactic Kerbal space Program?

• Locked thread