Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Duo posted:

So I picked this game up during the sale and have been having some fun with it. I have a question though, why are they releasing a full priced expansion for an unfinished game?

They are developing an expansion and working on the base game simultaneously, as evidenced by the beta they just had for a major update to the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
got this as a gift. Read the op. One question, do I just tool about single player till I make some credits or is there somewhere I should be heading in the poopcraft v1 in multiplayer. Seems like most all I can get around the starting area is mining missions that I can't do with my equipment or bounty hunter stuff that directs me to empty space. Occasionally I get a space trucker mission that pays a whopping 6-12k bit that's about it.

Oh and the bounty stuff seemed to work better in solo mode since there were actual ships to shoot in the places they sent me, pay was still poopy though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I am "IN" to missles you guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX3_-84Ut5w

http://gfycat.com/SpryGrippingElephant

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 3, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

From what I can see, class impacts the number of SRV's you can carry -- class 4 can carry two, but there's also a G ahd H rating and the only difference between them is that the H rating weighs twice as much.
Also, the class 6 holds four.

If you want to give up a class 6 slot for a fleet of 5,000 cr dune buggies, that is.

xyigx posted:

got this as a gift. Read the op. One question, do I just tool about single player till I make some credits or is there somewhere I should be heading in the poopcraft v1 in multiplayer. Seems like most all I can get around the starting area is mining missions that I can't do with my equipment or bounty hunter stuff that directs me to empty space. Occasionally I get a space trucker mission that pays a whopping 6-12k bit that's about it.

Oh and the bounty stuff seemed to work better in solo mode since there were actual ships to shoot in the places they sent me, pay was still poopy though.
Missions are going to be pretty weak early on, especially if you get stuck in a starter system like LHS 3447. If you want to shoot stuff, you can park yourself at a combat zone/resource extraction site/nav beacon and target ships to see if they are wanted criminals you can shoot on sight. A Kill Warrant Scanner will also find bounties outside of your local system. Bounty missions will help get cash, but they're more of a supplement than the main course.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not so much it was a secret but it was full of this shadowy cabal that sucked all fun out of the game.

Kinda reflects your long-standing biases against the game, bruh :shrug:

Frontier posted:

"...Our initial proposal for in-system fast travel raised almost universal concern from the DDF. As developers, we of course make the calls and live with the consequences, but it's fair to say that even in such a small, fanatical (in a good way!) demographic, the response was clear enough to make us step back and take another look at what we were trying to achieve..."

They listened to those few quite a lot it sounds like. Although to be fair, the post-design council stuff still had in-system fast travel with microjumps (with an auto-pilot to align and jump automatically if you plotted the multi-jump route first) and a way to slingshot with gravity assists. It was just Frontier that dropped that part for no alternative.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 3, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Highlights from the latest beta patch:

- The "rejoin ship" option on the insurance screen now only returns to your last port if you deployed the SRV from a settlement; if you deployed straight from a landed ship, your ship respawns in orbit around the planet you were on

- Stop all hostile ships in conflict zones targeting the player and friendly ships do not assist

- Added 50% more fuel for the SRV

Full notes: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=206477

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Space Skeleton posted:

- Added 50% more fuel for the SRV
In other words, "we realise we really hosed this one up, but we have to keep it in to manage the expectations of the grognards".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I really don't think it's so bad given how quickly you start swimming in the materials to make more fuel. It's unnecessary busywork for a few seconds in the cargo panel, but there's so much sulphur and whatever the other one is that I can't see anyone having to grind.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

No, it's not so bad. That's hardly a stellar justification though.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Missions are going to be pretty weak early on, especially if you get stuck in a starter system like LHS 3447. If you want to shoot stuff, you can park yourself at a combat zone/resource extraction site/nav beacon and target ships to see if they are wanted criminals you can shoot on sight. A Kill Warrant Scanner will also find bounties outside of your local system. Bounty missions will help get cash, but they're more of a supplement than the main course.

That seems to be working so well, thank you. I am making money faster now, well as long as the cops show up and help before my sidey gets murked Lol. Might have to save for a better fighter. Or maybe a space bus to haul cargo and give trading a shot.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Eagle is a straight upgrade to the Sidewinder, and it's pretty cheap.

Faster, more agile, stronger shields, 50% more firepower and can carry just as much cargo. If you downgrade the shields to Class 2, it can even carry more cargo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That SRV fuel thread is maddening. All those fucks claiming that having a hydrogen fuel-powered buggy is "unrealistic." They're either 12 year olds or grognards still living in 1984, completely unaware that hydrogen fuel-powered cars already exist.

There are some interesting ideas in that thread however, specifically refueling the SRV from the ship, solar cells as an alternative energy source, and the idea that hand-crafted fuel should be give bonuses, like fuel efficiency or a speed boost or some poo poo.

Edit: it's heartbreaking to see you argue with these idiots tooterfish (edit 2: and the rest of you), but hell if I could stand to wade through the brown sea. Godspeed.

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 3, 2015

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

...Wait, people are seriously complaining that a hydrogen fueled buggy is unrealistic? In this game where spaceships are powered by fusion reactors and FTL travel is commonplace? gently caress off.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I'm still waiting for them to tell me what they think the actual benefits of the mechanic are, instead of telling me the drawbacks aren't that big. They don't appear to be able to think of any though.

I get the strange feeling if Frontier had decided to stick to their guns and give SRVs infinite fuel and there was a thread whining about that, they'd be advocating just as hard and just as uselessly in the other direction. They're loving morons.

edit: ^^Thanks, but I think I'm done. I don't mind being wrong on the internet, or out argued (I'm not exactly Socrates), and I accept that a lot of this poo poo is subjective even. It really wears me out over there though, they're not even trying to see my point of view^^^

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 3, 2015

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

tooterfish posted:

I'm still waiting for them to tell me what they think the actual benefits of the mechanic are, instead of telling me the drawbacks aren't that big. They don't appear to be able to think of any though.

laughing at that guy who whined "umm actually you're not wasting 16% of your time, you're wasting 4% :downsbravo: "

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I refuse to sail those brown seas but please tell me at least one person is arguing that if you run out of fuel your SRV detonates and you wake up on your ship

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I just picked up this game for 15 bucks. Been playing for two days. Saying this game is unforgiving and has a learning curve is quite an understatement. I like how the tutorial Youtube videos don't actually mention what the gently caress to press.

I've figured out the basics...I think. I just learned a long, hard lesson to not open cargo scoop unless you want to lose everything you just spent 2 hours finding somewhere in the middle of space.

Reading some posts, is there really some part of space Goons hang out in? Will you guys, or anyone, gift me a ship or some creds. I'm liking how chill space is, but pulling my own hair out at the time sucks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ugh, after some heavy poop-touching I think I'm done with FD forums for awhile. Pls people don't stop, keep posting good and correct opinions - if these ridiculous sperglords manage to push such blatantly bad and unfun elements into the game, we can definitely get FD to make something good with some effort.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Reading some posts, is there really some part of space Goons hang out in? Will you guys, or anyone, gift me a ship or some creds. I'm liking how chill space is, but pulling my own hair out at the time sucks.
Yes to both questions, check the PGS thread. The IRC channel listed in the OP there is pretty active and people there are generally pretty happy to help out newbies in various ways.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

LCL-Dead posted:

I dunno man.. A Viper to Sag A is dangerously close to surpassing your madness.

Do I really need to log in and finish my galactic circumnavigation?

Edit: You know what, I have two weeks to kill and a whole lot of booze, so out of spite I think I will. Then we will see who is space mad!

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 3, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

Do I really need to log in and finish my galactic circumnavigation?

Edit: You know what, I have two weeks to kill and a whole lot of booze, so out of spite I think I will. Then we will see who is space mad!

Depending how quick you get there you could demolish the current exploration CG.
https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/566019999657ba4f5210d8c3

Sadly, someone just finished a circumnavigation and went down as the first recorded to do so I guess? :(
https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/565c3a709657baca51303c41

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Space Skeleton posted:

Depending how quick you get there you could demolish the current exploration CG.

Sadly, someone just finished a circumnavigation and went down as the first recorded to do so I guess? :(
https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/565c3a709657baca51303c41

It was never about doing it first, it was about showing people you were completely nuts.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
What are people's impressions of the new missions in 1.5?

That was by far what bounced me off this at release.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A Tartan Tory posted:

It was never about doing it first, it was about showing people you were completely nuts.

We miss you over in PGS. Come back to us.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Space Skeleton posted:

Fantastic timing, I finally got off my rear end and headed towards the lagoon nebula, exploring along the way! :toot:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
So I logged into the beta, flew towards a planet, then it had huge texture problems, then I tried to land at an outpost, then my game crashed.

Is this just some stupid AMD thing and I need to kajigger the right drivers?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Bushiz posted:

So I logged into the beta, flew towards a planet, then it had huge texture problems, then I tried to land at an outpost, then my game crashed.

Is this just some stupid AMD thing and I need to kajigger the right drivers?

There is some serious issue with this game and AMD drivers, especially if you are in Win10. Has been going on for a while and keeps getting worse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3v9p0t/so_guys_can_you_help_me_spread_information_about/

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Space Skeleton posted:

There is some serious issue with this game and AMD drivers, especially if you are in Win10. Has been going on for a while and keeps getting worse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3v9p0t/so_guys_can_you_help_me_spread_information_about/

Yeah, I know, and I've grown used to the supercruise bullshit, but this is a level beyond that.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
"Next time come up off the extra $10 get nvidia."
:smug:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I have win7 and AMD and I haven't seen any egregious issues or crashes (yet)...

Space Skeleton posted:

quote:

The initial proposal was for AMD to look into and resolve this problem, and they've mentioned it in recent driver updates, but as of now there's been no progress from their side and the issue appears to be getting worse, so we have to take matters into our own hands.

*knuckles cracking*

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I really don't want to sound like an elitist or someshit but how do you guys even go about considering AMD cards given the amount of problems they have across dozens of new, shiny games every year?

I was running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI when I bought ED and was seriously considering moving up to like a 290/390 or something until I did some research on how well AMD as a whole performed.

It's cheaper, yeah, but that's just inviting way too many potential issues in.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

*knuckles cracking*
The devs just finished pushing an AMD hotfix for the beta, so they are indeed working on it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

radintorov posted:

The devs just finished pushing an AMD hotfix for the beta, so they are indeed working on it.

I was expecting something more violent, perhaps involving a duel of fisticuffs between David Braben and Lisa Su, but this works too

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

LCL-Dead posted:

I really don't want to sound like an elitist or someshit but how do you guys even go about considering AMD cards given the amount of problems they have across dozens of new, shiny games every year?

I was running 2x 560 Ti's in SLI when I bought ED and was seriously considering moving up to like a 290/390 or something until I did some research on how well AMD as a whole performed.

:agreed: there's a way it's meant to be played. :fistbump: :brofive:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

I've had an R9 270 for a couple years now, which I got because it was the best card I could buy in my price range, and because I had good experiences with AMD/ATI before. I'm running it with 8gb of RAM and an AMD Phenom II X4 945, which isn't the greatest system, but it's worked fine with all the games I play. It can run Elite at 40-60+ FPS at 1920x1080 on max settings (aside from supersampling, which I keep at 1.0 usually. 1.5 is playable but the FPS drops to the 20s at times). But I'm running windows 7, and it sounds like the problem with Elite is mainly for people running AMD cards on windows 10.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

If you think my R9 270 is too bad, just send me a lot of money and I buy a graphics card of your chosing. Deal?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

I've had an R9 270 for a couple years now, which I got because it was the best card I could buy in my price range, and because I had good experiences with AMD/ATI before. I'm running it with 8gb of RAM and an AMD Phenom II X4 945, which isn't the greatest system, but it's worked fine with all the games I play. It can run Elite at 40-60+ FPS at 1920x1080 on max settings (aside from supersampling, which I keep at 1.0 usually. 1.5 is playable but the FPS drops to the 20s at times). But I'm running windows 7, and it sounds like the problem with Elite is mainly for people running AMD cards on windows 10.

So many issues with Win10. I've just heard so many bad things about AMD/ATI over the years that I quickly gravitated towards Nvidia setups when I started to build my computer. All of my friends who built their own rigs around the same time, who used AMD setups, have also slowly converted over to intel/NVidia builds.

Libluini posted:

If you think my R9 270 is too bad, just send me a lot of money and I buy a graphics card of your chosing. Deal?

I don't think it's bad. I am Nvidia fanboy. I know it's bad. It's not that I like spending more money either. It took me 4 years to finally have enough set aside for a new gpu and a few other pieces.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I am disappointed that I miraculously scored a single hit on an npc with like a 25k bounty being killed by police plus 20k in vouchers immediately letting me leapfrog from my sidewinder to a viper only to find the stock viper comes with the same two flashlights equipped as my sidewinder did anyway.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Cowcaster posted:

I am disappointed that I miraculously scored a single hit on an npc with like a 25k bounty being killed by police plus 20k in vouchers immediately letting me leapfrog from my sidewinder to a viper only to find the stock viper comes with the same two flashlights equipped as my sidewinder did anyway.

All ships come with the most hilariously bad glowsticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
They should just let you buy it stripped beyond what's needed to let you take off and land.

• Locked thread