Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xenomrph posted:

You mean planets that aren't just one huge biome? I think Ryloth kinda counts but it's defining characteristic is still it's extreme biomes.

Yeah, thats what I meant. I think Dathomir is also another one that has the one really well known biome (swamps) but also has others as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

RFC2324 posted:

Never happen. Everyone knows that planets can only support one biome.

Alderaan looked sort of Earth-like. Kashyyk is a tree world, but I recall it having mountains and poo poo so I'd give it a pass.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 3, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Naboo has forests and meadows and cliffs and oceans and a watery core, does that count?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

projecthalaxy posted:

Naboo has forests and meadows and cliffs and oceans and a watery core, does that count?

Not really. It's literally "Fantasy Kingdom Planet"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't really mind single-biome planets. They're just stand-ins for cities and regions like in other genres. It's a lot less confusing than trying to write them all in as different cities in different regions on different planets and IMO helps to make it seem that the galactic civilization is advanced enough that traveling to planets is easy, quick, and only really distinguishable by their dominant biome.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't really mind single-biome planets. They're just stand-ins for cities and regions like in other genres. It's a lot less confusing than trying to write them all in as different cities on different planets and IMO helps to make it seem that the galactic civilization is advanced enough that traveling to planets is easy, quick, and only really distinguishable by their dominant biome.

I agree with you, since Star Wars is just Lord of the Rings: Space Edition it makes sense to try and keep ideas streamlined and simplistic while painting a vibrant mental image int he reader/watchers mind as to what happens int he background. But we're being nerds in here and picking poo poo to death

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I agree with you, since Star Wars is just Lord of the Rings: Space Edition it makes sense to try and keep ideas streamlined and simplistic while painting a vibrant mental image int he reader/watchers mind as to what happens int he background. But we're being nerds in here and picking poo poo to death

I had a campaign set on a planet that was tidally locked to a blue star (same side always faces the sun), looked up what color chlorophyll would most likely be with that light, came up with navigation terminology based on shadeward, brightward and had a low melting temp silica on the sunward pole so there was a sea of molten glass there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can only imagine what a mess it would be trying to read how a "realistic" galactic space-faring civilization would be. I can only imagine it'd be like reading a history book using a single concurrent timeline instead of the easier way it's taught which is a single civilization or region is followed for X years.

You'd be trying to remember if two cities were in desert regions in two planets or if they were on the same planet or if it was only winter in one city or if it's in the frozen tundra of another planet next to another prominent city. Huge mess.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
One thing I love about Rebels is they are making GBS threads on the every species in teh same thing somewhere. I mean, we had a rodian middle manager IT guy, an Ithorian bartender, an aqualish farmer etc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ithorian bartender is one of the best parts of that show.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Face-off: Yak Face or Prune Face?

quote:

Saelt-Marae, known by many as Yak Face, was a long-lived Yarkora confidence trickster and information broker who lived for several centuries during the waning days of the Old Republic and the reign of Emperor Palpatine. Marae kept details surrounding himself secret, so little was known about his early life. He spent two hundred years courting his chosen mate, and she later bore at least one child of Marae's. Eventually he left her to continue in his life of crime, which was common among the Yarkora people.

And in this corner:

quote:

Orrimaarko, known to many as simply Prune Face, was a Dressellian resistance fighter and a key figure in the liberation of his homeworld, Dressel. He was xenophobic, particularly toward Humans, and when the Empire subjugated Dressel around 10 BBY, he and his fellows took up arms and fought back, becoming masters of guerrilla tactics. Aided by their allies, the more technologically sophisticated Bothans, who provided them with advanced weaponry and mercenary training, a Dressellian rebellion was formed with Orrimaarko at its helm, effectively fending off the Empire. They became embroiled in a war lasting over a decade, which mostly occurred at small engagements in the planet's dense forests.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Booblord Zagats posted:

Corellia and Dantooine I think are the only two exceptions in Star Wars

Ahem.

Wookiepedia posted:

The Fewoda Plains were a region on the forest moon of Endor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
when I go to endor I like to go to the fewoda plains and wear my favorite hat, a fedowa

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

when I go to endor I like to go to the fewoda plains and wear my favorite hat, a fedowa

I'm space groaning

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought dantooine was a desert planet too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Where is the wookiepedia article about the people that died on the capital ships during the battle of endor

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

projecthalaxy posted:

Maybe a variety of people telling a variety of tales in the great big galaxy is in fact good. It's a big tent out there, friendo, room for everybody.

If they actually told a 'variety' of tales it might be good. But they're the same 1-2 stories with the names changed.

Just on earth, in the 1950's, you could have Rebel Without a Cause, 12 Angry Men, North By Northwest, White Christmas, Some Like it Hot, Rear Window, A Streetcar Named Desire, Seven Samurai, etc.

Star Wars EU has never been 10% as diverse as that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.starwarsuncut.com/newhope

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I misread that URL and was a little disappointed with what I saw when I clicked

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Is it true the VHS versions are the only ones that are identical to the original theatrical release? Is it any specific VHS version? I had heard that the LaserDisc version was identical to theatrical as well. I bought an LD player for $5 at a garage sale this summer and it came with sealed copies of Space Jam and Robin Hood: Men in Tights on LD so that'd be pretty sweet if I could pick up the OT on LaserDisc and kick it old-school.

Even during the theatrical run there were some tweaks made, the voice of Aunt Beru for one.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Of all the bad special effects in the Special Editions, the ones I really like are around the Battle of Yavin. If I could get a version that keeps the great effects they did for the space battle but got rid of everything else I'd be happy.

They did look nice, but they also added a ton more ships too so it doesn't seem like the odds are so long.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 3, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

effectual posted:

Even during the theatrical run there were some tweaks made, the voice of Aunt Beru for one.

They did look nice, but they also added a ton more ships too so it doesn't seem like the odds are so long.

Not really anymore ships. There's only thirty.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My favorite thing about the Yuuzhan Vong War is that there were 365 trillion dead.
That doesn't even sound unreasonably high in the context of a galaxy-spanning civilization of millions of worlds.

The problem is Star Wars feels more like a small star cluster of a couple dozen systems than a galaxy-spanning civilization. That's what they should have gone with, based on how it feels in the films.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

on the other hand, its loving space, there's enough of everything for everyone. land, minerals, whores, its all there.

who is going to fight these wars when there's all this free poo poo everywhere in every possible variation, and with potentially so much insanely dangerous distance to seperate you from other people's poo poo? because one guy says so? how important could one guy be in the vastness of a galaxy that people think he's of any consequence? most people don't give a poo poo what is happening in Burma, why they care what's happening one hundred million light years away?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
star wars looks like an astronomy textbook next to the jj abrams start teek, if we wanna talk about galaxies feeling too small how about in that movie where a star going supernova threatens to destroy the entire galaxy, or how spock could see vulcan being destroyed in real time like it was the moon from a different solar system

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

chaosbreather posted:

on the other hand, its loving space, there's enough of everything for everyone. land, minerals, whores, its all there.

who is going to fight these wars when there's all this free poo poo everywhere in every possible variation, and with potentially so much insanely dangerous distance to seperate you from other people's poo poo? because one guy says so? how important could one guy be in the vastness of a galaxy that people think he's of any consequence? most people don't give a poo poo what is happening in Burma, why they care what's happening one hundred million light years away?
Because space ships firing lasers and people with laser swords and blasters going pew pew is really fun and awesome and exciting

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Elukka posted:

The problem is Star Wars feels more like a small star cluster of a couple dozen systems than a galaxy-spanning civilization. That's what they should have gone with, based on how it feels in the films.

I don't know, a bureaucrat casually destroying an inhabited planet suggests to me that there's more than a few to go around.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

chaosbreather posted:

This at least lends credibility to the fact that everyone forgot about Jedi and the force in like 30 years. Similar to segregation I guess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

chaosbreather posted:

you sound sick to death of these star wars, friend

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

i thought dantooine was a desert planet too.
Meant to respond to this, but I'm pretty sure Dantooine is all hills and rolling fields of tall grass, I'm pretty sure you visit it in one of the KOTOR games.

Like in the grand scheme of "choose a single-biome planet to retire to", Dantooine seemed like a solid choice. Not too hot, not too cold, not overcrowded, not a lot of dangerous wildlife, not a galactic hotspot or war zone, scenic hills... you can do a whole lot worse :effort:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Meant to respond to this, but I'm pretty sure Dantooine is all hills and rolling fields of tall grass, I'm pretty sure you visit it in one of the KOTOR games.

Like in the grand scheme of "choose a single-biome planet to retire to", Dantooine seemed like a solid choice. Not too hot, not too cold, not overcrowded, not a lot of dangerous wildlife, not a galactic hotspot or war zone, scenic hills... you can do a whole lot worse :effort:

Dantooine was the setting for a few scenes in the Jedi Academy trilogy, and it sounded like a nice place. It was specifically chosen as a place for refugees from a hellish lava planet. Then Admiral Daala slaughtered the eighty or so unarmed refugees and treated it like a glorious military victory.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Star Tours at Disneyland is canon now because of the Star Wars Rebels cartoon.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Lemmi Caution posted:

I've read this sentence a few times now.

I know all of those are words but none of that makes any sense.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Otisburg posted:

There are a couple, but the convenience and cheapness of digital tend to far oughtweigh them.

Off the top of my head-

Digital "clipping" on overexposure/highlights: film mimics the way the human eye sees ranges of light, with really bright exposures fading naturally. Depennding on the CCD, a doing it digitally can give you weird harsh edges with unnatural colors and artifacting. ofc since you can review it instantly and reshoot for virtually nothing as far as film cost, I guess it's an easy fix if you're diligent with it.

Resolution: Film has effectively infinite resolution. If 20k resolution TVs become the norm, theoretically you can go back and remaster the film to match. If you shoot it digitally in 4k, it's 4k forever. It's why they were able to go back and do a HD remaster of Star Trek TNG, if I'm not mistaken- the episodes were shot on film. Of course 4k is pretty much approaching the range of where the human eye just doesn't give a poo poo about more pixels, so this is another really modest advantage at this point.

Shooting again because you don't know how the camera works isn't really an option when you're on a hundred million dollar+ shoot. No professional cameras (Red, Arri, etc) will have unnatural colors or artifacting, they have optical filters and complex 'color science' going for them.

Arri Alexa and Epic Dragon are digital cameras that I'm pretty confident can handle highlights almost as well as film. There's likely a few others but I haven't shot them. Today, on a professional film set with a competent camera department you will never see a problem with highlights.

Film has grain, which is its 'pixel' equivalent and it definitely has a resolution limit, which for every formula of 35mm is probably a lot less than 4k, although it's randomly distributed in each frame while digital's pixels do not move, making the resolution limit more apparent.

Most digital cameras can't resolve 4k with high MTF, in other words the file they make might be ~4,000 pixels wide but they can't resolve 2000 pairs of black and white alternating lines into black and white alternating pixels (instead, at best it'll be more like light grey-dark grey). Even the Epic Dragon's 6k resolves ~3.6k with high MTF, and I think that's currently the highest resolution sensor available to film makers.

The reason to shoot film is basically because the director wants to, both film and digital 'negative' are absurdly nice now-a-days. Digital is cheaper and faster and can be made to match any film stock in post anyway.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 3, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lemmi Caution posted:

I thought it always was?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The 25 dollar build your own lightsaber stand in the Star Tours gift shop is now canon.

There is a lightsaber attendant in a hideous top who helps you and all Jedi build your plastic weapon of destiny and he is as valid as Chewbacca.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Lemmi Caution posted:

Its also a fun ride now! I just rode it 2 months ago with the gf and her kid brother and we all enjoyed it. They're actually turning Tomorrow Land to be way more Star Warsy, which is a very smart move considering how much of a turd that George Clooney reimagining was.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Its also a fun ride now! I just rode it 2 months ago with the gf and her kid brother and we all enjoyed it. They're actually turning Tomorrow Land to be way more Star Warsy, which is a very smart move considering how much of a turd that George Clooney reimagining was.

On Nov 16 they started Season of the Force so now Tomorrowland has Star Wars music in all the common areas, projections of the Imperial and Rebel symbols, Storm Troopers walking around, a meet and greet with Darth Vader and Chewbacca, props from the new movie, Space Mountain is now Hyperspace Mountain where you're part of the Battle of Jakku, and a new Star Tours scenario set on Jakku. Disney is going all out.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dely Apple posted:

The 25 dollar build your own lightsaber stand in the Star Tours gift shop is now canon.

There is a lightsaber attendant in a hideous top who helps you and all Jedi build your plastic weapon of destiny and he is as valid as Chewbacca.

Which means, THIS IS CANON https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mK7dzyUkM

Edit: It's only 34 seconds long and totally worth it.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
hey guys is the black peoples planet still considered canon? if not how are they going to rectify there being black people in star wars now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Speaking to the whole fighting over poo poo when the galaxy is gently caress-off massive; does anyone ever actually mention how much of the galaxy is inhabited? I know there is the Outer Rim and all that, but is the core of the galaxy supposed to be completely spoken for?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 3, 2015

• Locked thread