Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Sizone posted:

The Grimlock in the set is the voyager Grimlock. Leader Grimlock is, if you can get over his oddly elongated dino mode, a much, much better figure.

Wrong. Leader Grimlock is a light, flimsy-feeling ugly mess. Voyager Grimlock is excellent and solid and has good arms that definitely don't have stupid wrong-location pegs for his wrists. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Sockser posted:

Bought Menasor for $70. He's okay, I guess. How do I make him cooler? There's some weird manner of transforming his shoulders, isn't there?

E:
Also, how cool is Offroad? The set I bought came with Brakeneck, which is cool, but goddamnit I hate the reused molds in CW, and Offroad only exists elsewhere as Ironhide, right?

Offroad is rad and has an awesome headsculpt. Easily the coolest of the deluxe Stunticons if you don't have a bad case of the Nostalgia Blinders. NB is a serious condition and can lead to Backwards-Leggitis if left unchecked.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sockser posted:

Bought Menasor for $70. He's okay, I guess. How do I make him cooler? There's some weird manner of transforming his shoulders, isn't there?

E:
Also, how cool is Offroad? The set I bought came with Brakeneck, which is cool, but goddamnit I hate the reused molds in CW, and Offroad only exists elsewhere as Ironhide, right?

Okay so there's a couple ways to make Menasor cooler.

Step one is to invest in the Nonnef Productions hip ratchets and shoulder locks. Using the shoulder locks to secure the configuration, you can rotate Menasor's "shoulder blocks" 90 degrees "upwards" so that Motormaster's forearms rest above MM's shoulders, creating a sunken-head silhouette that mitigates the short-torso issues Menasor suffers from. Check my post history for some pics of this and other configurations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't like the raised shoulders configuration, but I do mistransform his hips a bit so they're less spread apart. Of the three CW combiners I have assembled I think Menasor is still my fave. Thankfully mine pegs securely enough that I haven't needed the shoulder locks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

See? This used the Perfect Effect feet and hands and the Nonnef hips, along with an alternative Blackjack transformation, though the shoulder locks aren't yet installled in this pic.

Blackheart posted:

I don't like the raised shoulders configuration, but I do mistransform his hips a bit so they're less spread apart. Of the three CW combiners I have assembled I think Menasor is still my fave. Thankfully mine pegs securely enough that I haven't needed the shoulder locks.

Raised Shoulders looks so much better I can't even begin to articulate it. It completely reconfigures Menasor's proportions and redistributes mass to create a positively hulking behemoth rather than a stoop-shouldered weirdo.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 2, 2015

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

DoctorWhat posted:

Okay so there's a couple ways to make Menasor cooler.

Step one is to invest in the Nonnef Productions hip ratchets and shoulder locks. Using the shoulder locks to secure the configuration, you can rotate Menasor's "shoulder blocks" 90 degrees "upwards" so that Motormaster's forearms rest above MM's shoulders, creating a sunken-head silhouette that mitigates the short-torso issues Menasor suffers from. Check my post history for some pics of this and other configurations.

Isn't Nonnef dead or something? Every time I try to buy something from him it's out of stock and he's incommunicado.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Isn't Nonnef dead or something? Every time I try to buy something from him it's out of stock and he's incommunicado.

His workshop got flooded and he got hit with mono or something but his shop's still being manned and customer service is still happening, it's just development that has stopped/slowed afaik.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Daimchoc has been posting some new KO improved Evasion Prime pics. This bot looks seriously impressive.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I agree with Dr. What, the raised shoulders and Nonnef stuff is a good, fairly inexpensive way to go about things. Nonnef's a good guy.

If you want to spend a little more money because you love Menasor, you should get the Perfect Effect hand/feet upgrade(they also turn into cool guns) and the Perfect Effect head/torso upgrade for Motormaster.

There's a pic of mine standing on my dirty fridge with all of the upgrades applied. Definitely go with Dr. What's suggestions to start.

Offroad-talk: he and Dragstrip have the least amount of torso chafing when they are Menasor's arms. Offroad is tied with Alpha Bravo as my top combiner limb, excellent in both modes and both limbs, just edging out the otherwise excellent Deadend (shoulder chafing and weird shirtsleeve effect as an arm) and Rook (huge out of proportion pillar leg.) The First Aid remold is also quite good. The Ironhide and Trailbreaker remolds... I think those characters should be beefier. That mold makes great arms though, as I said.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Strangehamster, I found the Devastator in question. He's 8 inches tall(I thought he was revoltech-sized) and 150 bucks, pricy, but looks really drat nice and has a ridiculous amount of detail and articulation points for a bot that size(20, not including fingers!), plus 7 light-up spots and other stuff.
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=KLG10070&mode=retail

Also, apparently Nonnef CW feet are produced and shipping. I'm a bit pissed it's taken this long, like I know they were preorders but it's been half a year since I placed the order and there's been very little word up until now about progress on them. And the hands haven't even been produced yet apparently, which is great.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 2, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
peaugh just reviewed war in pocket hulkie
who is small and poseable like devs above but also has a perfect transformation.
Articulation has some flaws but yknow... perfect transformation.

this is the first third party thing I have been tempted by, but it's 160$... but at the same time the transformation is insanely clever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Acne Rain posted:

who is small and poseable like devs above but also has a perfect transformation.

this is the first third party thing I have been tempted by, but it's 160$... but at the same time the transformation is insanely clever.
Ehhhhhhhh. I mean for a tiny transforming Devs it's good, but it depends on what you're after. Just a chibi combined mode, which most people will have on display for the entirety of the toy's existence, and one with rad paint and electronics too, or one to fiddle with all the time? Different uses for each. Hulkie does look good, for sure, but it also looks pretty plain. And for $160 there's some fairly glaring constructicon bits and joints visible.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Acne Rain posted:

I skipped forward a bunch because, y'know, peaugh, and was just in time to see him putting not-Hook into combined mode. If I could ever justify buying a $160 toy (which would probably run me somewhere near C$240 so not on your goddamn life) I'd buy this in a heartbeat. Like holy hell, head, chestplate, and hands AREN'T extra bits I have to stick somewhere else and try not to lose when he's in non-combined mode, and at the same time somehow manage to not look like poo poo? Rad as gently caress.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I watched the video and... I'm not disappointed or anything, but it is a lil' bit plain. I loved the transformation and a little Devastator is charming but I'm not loving it as much as I liked the first proto pics.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hulkie is a goddamn masterpiece I can't comprehend how anyone could be underwhelmed by it. The chestplate transformation! That's brilliant! That's a goddamn dopamine rush right there just watching a video of it!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isn't it a little weird to name your knockoff transformer line "War in Pocket"? That sort of bypasses hasbro and starts infringing on another toy company's trademarks.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

That's how long the development and production process takes

Hey I just realized...now that the poll is over, can you clue us in on the broad strokes for Tryp? Like pretty G1-y, or some kind of insane "keep the Trex but make him turn into a robot", or more like his WFC design? Just curious where all this hoopla is headed.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Sockser posted:

E:

Offroad is also Ironhide, First Aid, Trailbreaker, and Ruckus. And probably Ratchet eventually, too. If you're trying to avoid molds that have been used a lot, CW is probably not your line.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DoctorWhat posted:

Hulkie is a goddamn masterpiece I can't comprehend how anyone could be underwhelmed by it. The chestplate transformation! That's brilliant! That's a goddamn dopamine rush right there just watching a video of it!

Yeah I'm willing to forgive a lot for scale and transformation quality, it's far more impressive than giant toys I can't store that are full of invented details and pointless complexity.

I'd drop the 160$ but can I really do that when I have no idea what christmas presents to get anyone

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So my guess wasn't quite right, Blackrock is a pun named Transformer done up terminator style with a fleshy covering who was sent by Onyx to recover the Enigma but appears to be kinda derp about the whole thing

Sweet pun though. Issue was kinda about a dog and a drone, and that sort of ties back to what Blackrock actually is, given he's a drone or a minicon or something.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Hey I just realized...now that the poll is over, can you clue us in on the broad strokes for Tryp? Like pretty G1-y, or some kind of insane "keep the Trex but make him turn into a robot", or more like his WFC design? Just curious where all this hoopla is headed.

I can't say much without giving away things that are still up in the air
Don't expect anything that would be wildly off putting to most fans (like anything Taint Reaper may come up with)

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Don't expect anything that would be wildly off putting to most fans

That's enough for me, thanks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I can't say much without giving away things that are still up in the air

Trypticon confirmed to be an upscaled Alpha Bravo redeco

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Silhouette posted:

Trypticon confirmed to be an upscaled Alpha Bravo redeco

I think the head is going to come off and transform into a spaceship for legion guys. But yeah.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Have all of the revealed Titan's Return Voyagers and Leaders been triple-changers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DT confirms no Pretenders thank god.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Please put a giant robo dick on Trypticon thanks

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Going back to Menasor talk, the newer Motormasters have improved hip ratchets, so the Nonnef ratchets might not be worth the trouble. From the reviews I've read the Nonnef ratchets are still a bit better than the new Hasbro ones, but it's not as dramatic of a difference anymore. And I don't really like the shoulders-up configuration because I think it makes his torso look too scrawny, but of course that's just an aesthetic preference, to each their own.

Keldroc posted:

Offroad is also Ironhide, First Aid, Trailbreaker, and Ruckus. And probably Ratchet eventually, too. If you're trying to avoid molds that have been used a lot, CW is probably not your line.
To be fair First Aid is a pretty heavy remold, and I don't think I'd count an obscure fan club toy as a mold reuse. Offroad is probably the best use of the original mold, since it doesn't really work as Ironhide or Trailbreaker. I'd say he definitely fits in well with the other Stunticons if you don't want to duplicate molds on the same combiner.

Anyway please make the new Trypticon Chomp & Stomp Trypticon. Thanks.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
why didn't anyone tell me that the redemption comic was basically fury road with dinobots
That was a. fun comic.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Acne Rain posted:

why didn't anyone tell me that the redemption comic was basically fury road with dinobots
That was a. fun comic.
That would spoil your fun though.

I said it was great. Did you notice what the big black thing was?

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 3, 2015

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Knormal posted:

To be fair First Aid is a pretty heavy remold, and I don't think I'd count an obscure fan club toy as a mold reuse. Offroad is probably the best use of the original mold, since it doesn't really work as Ironhide or Trailbreaker. I'd say he definitely fits in well with the other Stunticons if you don't want to duplicate molds on the same combiner.

He's definitely the best use of the mold, but again, if duped molds are a problem for you you're probably not a combiner fan to begin with.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I need an extra First aid/Offroad axe. Has anyone had any luck getting replacement accessories from Hasbro?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Is D0C a reference to anything, because I keep getting T-Bob vibes from his design, even though they are actually quite different.

With the whole merging of Cybertronian and Human tech (and Hasbro owning the brand), I kept expecting things to go full MASK.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Sizone posted:

I need an extra First aid/Offroad axe. Has anyone had any luck getting replacement accessories from Hasbro?

I have a spare Offroad axe, however it would be coming from Iceland. Interested?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
NVM

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Iced Cocoa posted:

I have a spare Offroad axe, however it would be coming from Iceland. Interested?

It would be going to Hawaii, so sort of. Just for the fact that it would literally have to travel halfway across the world.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At least throw a Christmas card in the envelope too. Honorary Secret Santa.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Sizone posted:

It would be going to Hawaii, so sort of. Just for the fact that it would literally have to travel halfway across the world.

Send me your address to email sent. Just for Hawaii, I'll throw in tracking and volcanic ash from Eyjafjallajökull as well if you want. And a Christmas card.

Iced Cocoa fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 4, 2015

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Hey DT toy design question:

I was watching Thew's Megatron video and was wondering, how do you guys do voice clips in toys? Are they all synthed voices, clips from the shows, do you bring in the actors in to say things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Anora posted:

Hey DT toy design question:

I was watching Thew's Megatron video and was wondering, how do you guys do voice clips in toys? Are they all synthed voices, clips from the shows, do you bring in the actors in to say things?

It's always recorded, but the source can vary widely
Sometimes it's actually less expensive to get the actor in to record some lines than to license a snip from the show/movie