Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks easy enough to DIY it. 1 hr and 10 bucks worth of hand tools and grease.

http://artisanbreadbaking.com/ka_greasing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Hey folks!

Just tried the Serious Eats double-fried chicken wing recipe a couple of days ago and while delicious, I've got some serious concerns before I try it again. I overcooked them a little and lost a couple of wings to the dutch oven during the first fry - that's okay, I just need to be better about keeping them moving and willing to get them out sooner - and the real issue was that after an hour rest at room temperature, the wings that went into the non-stick wok very quickly clumped together and stuck something fierce. Trying to lower them down and keep them separated with the spider didn't work because they instead fused to the metal. Getting them separated took a lot of time, irreparably destroyed some of the skin and meat and also caused me quite a few shallow burns. Any suggestions on how to keep chicken wings from fusing up would be appreciated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm baking pies. Should I use foil or get a pie shield

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
How often do you bake? If it's less than two times a year, use foil. If you're a pie fiend, like my mom, buy a couple of cheap but serviceable pie shields.

Source: we used (and reused) foil for the tarts we used to make at the bakery I was at and it was a bitch to keep them on after more than several uses.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This is my first pie of my entire life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't own a knife block but if this existed for real I would.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^ Awesome.

Steve Yun posted:

This is my first pie of my entire life.

Foil.

Also, don't be afraid to use lard in your pastry, it's loving delicious.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Are silicone food keepers worth it or are they just a silly gimmick?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
They look pretty silly to me. Their 'hug' is better performed by cling film, vacuum sealing or bags. Or under water.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've never had to use foil or a shield for pies.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Casu Marzu posted:

I've never had to use foil or a shield for pies.

Neither have I.

Seconding lard. I did half lard, half Kerry Gold for my thanksgiving pies and they were so loving awesome.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I could use some ideas, goons. Office potluck for 10-12 in a week, no fish allowed and vegetarian would be a bonus. These people are very 'meat and potatoes' in terms of adventurous eating. I'm thinking of doing a big lasagna since I have a good recipe and people can serve their own portions.

I'd also like to have a backup item since last time we did this there was Not Enough Food and it basically sucked rear end. What are other cool, fun potluck ideas you've used in the past? Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spring rolls/egg rolls/lumpia/little tiny chimichangas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

At my office potlucks, at least three people chuck frozen cocktail meatballs into their slow cookers and dump some sort of sauce on it. Literally zero effort but god drat if those aren't the first things to go, on a regular basis.

I'd recommend this as a backup to your main dish, of course.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Spring rolls/egg rolls/lumpia/little tiny chimichangas.

I've been meaning to learn how to make egg rolls, and a week's worth of failures for lunch sounds pretty okay!

The Midniter posted:

At my office potlucks, at least three people chuck frozen cocktail meatballs into their slow cookers and dump some sort of sauce on it. Literally zero effort but god drat if those aren't the first things to go, on a regular basis.

These are a secret shameful joy.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Midniter posted:

I'm genuinely surprised it's not lil smokies in ketchup & grape jelly.

I would do something easy and cold like layered feta, pesto, pine nuts, and sun-dried tomatoes with crostini to spread (midwestern plebs go nuts for this poo poo). Or if you want hot, something even easier like crockpot nacho cheese and bring chips and accessories. If they aren't adventurous, why try to impress them? Just feed them cheese.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Midniter posted:

or little smokies in bbq sauce.

Pipboy 3000
Oct 16, 2008

Designed to put that "good feeling" in you.
Hi, I was wondering if there are any good cheap ways to make a sour powder candy, like fun dip but sour like Warheads. I assume citric acid is the primary ingredient involved but is there a particular recipe I need to use to dull the acid?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pipboy 3000 posted:

Hi, I was wondering if there are any good cheap ways to make a sour powder candy, like fun dip but sour like Warheads. I assume citric acid is the primary ingredient involved but is there a particular recipe I need to use to dull the acid?

The super sour stuff uses malic acid, and I'm not sure where you'd get that. Citric acid also tends to be in there along with ascorbic acid which I think is just vitamin c.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
I need a new candy thermometer, and I'd really like a probe thermometer for the oven - Is there anything I can get that's safe to use for both purposes? It'd be nice to have one thermometer and be done with it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The super sour stuff uses malic acid, and I'm not sure where you'd get that. Citric acid also tends to be in there along with ascorbic acid which I think is just vitamin c.

Amazon has malic acid, $20/lb.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Correnth posted:

I need a new candy thermometer, and I'd really like a probe thermometer for the oven - Is there anything I can get that's safe to use for both purposes? It'd be nice to have one thermometer and be done with it.

Maybe a ChefAlarm? You can get the clip in the accessories tab for attaching it to the edge of a pot for candy and it also works for roasts and such. You can even buy replacement probes separately if/when the old one dies.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
So there was a flood upstairs. I no longer have a kitchen for at least a month. I have a mini fridge hooked up and am going to hit up goodwill for a cheap microwave. I also have a gas grill but of course it's December. Anybody been through something like this? Any idea's? Insurance covers eating out but that got old real fast.

Also what's the best way to dress up cheap bar takeout pizza?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

indoflaven posted:

So there was a flood upstairs. I no longer have a kitchen for at least a month. I have a mini fridge hooked up and am going to hit up goodwill for a cheap microwave. I also have a gas grill but of course it's December. Anybody been through something like this? Any idea's? Insurance covers eating out but that got old real fast.

Maybe a portable induction burner? If you have some steel or cast iron cookware that will work.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Do you still have a working sink there? If you'd be rinsing pots out in the bathroom, cooking starts to seem like a losing cause.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

indoflaven posted:

Sriracha!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Pie plates... glass or metal?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

I have one of these:

http://www.cake-stuff.com/equipment-c7/other-bakeware-c174/flan-pie-tins-c204/masterclass-large-12-flan-quiche-tin-loose-base-p3820

The bottom is separate from the sides, so it's easy to take the pie out of the tin without it breaking. The downside is that my pies end up with fluted edges, which I don't mind, though you can get smooth edges ones.

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
My order from an online spice/herb shop arrived and it came with an unlabeled dried pepper:

I think it's a ghost pepper, since I ordered a bottle of hot sauce for my brother that has ghost pepper in it.

What would be a good way to use this?

I like spicy food up to a degree, but I'm worried this might be too much for me. If I can't handle it I'll just send your recommendations over to my brother :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Reharakhti posted:

"Eating a mystery dried pepper" sounds like it could go reasonably big on youtube.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Gerblyn posted:

I have one of these:

http://www.cake-stuff.com/equipment-c7/other-bakeware-c174/flan-pie-tins-c204/masterclass-large-12-flan-quiche-tin-loose-base-p3820

The bottom is separate from the sides, so it's easy to take the pie out of the tin without it breaking. The downside is that my pies end up with fluted edges, which I don't mind, though you can get smooth edges ones.

Well I guess what I'm asking is if people have had better experiences baking with metal over glass. It seems like baking a pie in glass takes loving forever.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Well I guess what I'm asking is if people have had better experiences baking with metal over glass. It seems like baking a pie in glass takes loving forever.

I think baking pies in general takes a while! I normally make a 10" round chicken and mushroom pie, with shortcrust pastry making up the whole case, and all the recipes I checked said it should bake in about 30minutes. I found that you needed ~60 minutes at 400F though, otherwise the bottom of the pie would still be raw.

Metal should certainly be faster than glass, but I'm afraid I don't know if the difference would be enough to make a difference to you.

You can always blind bake the base of the pie, put in the filling and cap it with raw pastry. The blind bake will take ~15 mins, and then the second bake another 20 or so.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It does, but I find glass/ceramic to be more utilitarian for transporting the pie, keeping the leftovers, etc. And I pretty much only bake pies for the holidays, so the transportation thing is important.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Reharakhti posted:

I think it's a ghost pepper, since I ordered a bottle of hot sauce for my brother that has ghost pepper in it.

Make some kickin rad chili powder or rehydrate it to use the liquid + pepper in some sauce/soup. Ghost peppers have a real nice smoky flavor.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Steve Yun posted:

I prefer pyrex and I'm not entirely sure why. I have both, but I seem to exclusively use the pyrex one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pie wrecks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Uhh, this is weird.

I baked a persimmon pie, and it barely tastes like persimmon. Does persimmon just lose its flavor if you cook it? It's really weird.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Steve Yun posted:

Uhh, this is weird.

I baked a persimmon pie, and it barely tastes like persimmon. Does persimmon just lose its flavor if you cook it? It's really weird.

That is really weird. I made a persimmon upside-down cake and it tasted like persimmon. What variety did you use or did you buy puree (EDIT: or did you use fuyus like an apple pie?)? What else was in there, like spices or buttermilk?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The only time I've ever had persimmon was sample at the grocery store. It tasted like a weird pulpy sweet tomato and I had to spit it out. Did I just get a bad persimmon, or is this just an acquired taste?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Brawnfire posted:

The only time I've ever had persimmon was sample at the grocery store. It tasted like a weird pulpy sweet tomato and I had to spit it out. Did I just get a bad persimmon, or is this just an acquired taste?

You probably got an unripe fuyu. They are not that great.