Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

I hit my skill ceiling on that and stopped playing because it was relatively low.

time to play fighting games, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pomp posted:

time to play fighting games, friend

gently caress thaaaaaaat.

Real answer, I've been eternally fascinated by fighting games since I didn't have any good arcades growing up and in the last few years I've tried pretty hard to get into them, but the ratio of time invested to immediate fun is fairly out of reach for video games.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 3, 2015

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

i believe in you

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Orv posted:

Real answer, I've been eternally fascinated by fighting games since I didn't have any good arcades growing up and in the last few years I've tried pretty hard to get into them, but the ratio of time invested to immediate fun is fairly out of reach for video games.

It's like Starcraft 2. I wanna like it but drat the amonut of bullshit just to play simple multiplayer matches is extraordinary and it's not worth it.

Once I realized I was trying to learn build orders and doing certain things at X amount of time I was like gently caress this! I'm gonna play some simple dummy RTS.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Play Company of Heroes on low difficulty and have fun just watching things explode.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kairo posted:

Some people gave Rebel Galaxy poo poo for being on a 2D plane but those devs are so smart -- they made the right call on that and only focusing on your single capital ship for control. I'd rather do one or two things really well and gently caress everything else.

They could have eliminated any bitching entirely by calling their game Rebel Seas and putting it on the ocean.

poo poo I still want them to do that.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They could have eliminated any bitching entirely by calling their game Rebel Seas and putting it on the ocean.

Lead dev flat out told me the whole game is Assassin Creed 4 naval combat in space. It was the entire inspiration for the game play. So just go play AC4 or AC:Rogue

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Space ships > Sea ships :colbert:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Enemy Starfighter, more like Star Citizen

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I just hope after all this cutting and simplifying this doesn't end up like a (non-Nuclear Throne) Vlambeer game.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Orv posted:

I just need one of the really cool video game ideas to actually work out. :sigh:

Poor Orv, gonna explode from the games man.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eldragon posted:

Lead dev flat out told me the whole game is Assassin Creed 4 naval combat in space. It was the entire inspiration for the game play. So just go play AC4 or AC:Rogue

I know. I loved Rebel Galaxy specifically because it was AC4 naval combat. I'm saying I want even more of that, especially if it's AC naval combat without the rest of the AC bullshit.

Bernardo Orel posted:

Space ships > Sea ships :colbert:

I agree, but I also love me some Age of Sail.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I'm super excited for rebel galaxy. I can't wait to figure out why it keeps crashing during the 3rd tutorial mission so I can see what the game is like.

Let this be a warning to you all; don't buy AMD cards. They're not who they once were.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
II didn't mind the stuck on one plane parts of Rebel Galaxy except the occasions it hosed you over for very basic targeting.

A lot of stations were basically a series of struts, and your targeting point was an empty spot below anything that could be hit, so you had to fly in a circle till one leg of it was between you and your legal target.

Grell Dreadnaughts look cool, but 3/4 of them is empty space between struts and your targeting point is their front end. Dumbfire missiles would harmlessly pass through the 3/4 back end of them, and if you were attacking them from behind you might be slightly past the max range of some of your turret weaponry because it was targeting the very front of the ship while you were colliding with the back of it, etc.

I hear they patched that stations example. at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shine posted:

Play Company of Heroes on low difficulty and have fun just watching things explode.

Or World in Conflict on easy. Dropping napalm and cluster bombs all day.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I liked the really good Tug maps in the custom maps section of SC2. Desert war was my favorite.

Though people get pissy when you get in a map you've never played before and don't know the rules, and make a mistake or two.

But that's not the map's fault.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I liked the really good Tug maps in the custom maps section of SC2. Desert war was my favorite.

Though people get pissy when you get in a map you've never played before and don't know the rules, and make a mistake or two.

But that's not the map's fault.

It becomes the map's fault when they code in custom 'vote to kick' prompts.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Honestly that just combines elements of Werewolf with SC2! It's like the ultimate game! You have to play *and* convince people you're not a noob at the same time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Ancient Art of War at Sea has all of those games beat. :colbert:

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Any news on when we can start fighting enemy starfighters?

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

wjs5 posted:

Any news on when we can start fighting enemy starfighters?

No. Some new builds will be going out to my testers around the new year. In the meantime...

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kairo posted:

No. Some new builds will be going out to my testers around the new year. In the meantime...

No rush, have a great holiday

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Kairo posted:

:argh:

I'm still waiting to throw my wallet at you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:negative:

Kairo replied, Starfighter died delayed.

Have a good holiday and all that. :3:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i will pay for a dream kairo

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
So, here's what you do, Kairo. Release a demo that's just the title/menu screen, all nice and atmospheric. You can mess around with settings, read the credits, but every time you try to start the game it just dumps you to desktop.

You see, it's a statement on the futility of game devleopment or wh

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Copying Star Citizen is the last thing he should do!

Orv
May 4, 2011
:negative:x10^6

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 23, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Merry Christmas Kairo. Homeworld is a land-based RTS like supcom, now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

When can we expect Enemy Groundfighter?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Merry Christmas Kairo.

Enemy Santafighter

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Merry Christmas Kairo. Homeworld is a land-based RTS like supcom, now.

Not going to lie, Homeworld Land Aircraft Carrier edition actually looks really neat.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

When can we expect Enemy Groundfighter?

I too, am looking forward to Enemy Incoming!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Not going to lie, Homeworld Land Aircraft Carrier edition actually looks really neat.

The world needs more Ground Control and if Homeworld is the one to give it to me, I'm okay with that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kairo posted:

Oh good you're not dead. Carry on.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh good you're not dead. Carry on.

Don't be so presumptuous. This is all an elaborate suicide plot whereby Kairo planned to be the first person to kill himself from too much coding. He cleverly devised a script that would keep posted in this thread vague things so that no one knew that he had died deep in a bunker several months or even years ago.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Overwined posted:

Don't be so presumptuous. This is all an elaborate suicide plot whereby Kairo planned to be the first person to kill himself from too much coding. He cleverly devised a script that would keep posted in this thread vague things so that no one knew that he had died deep in a bunker several months or even years ago.

We both know that's impossible because there's no way Kairo would ever finish the script.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

We both know that's impossible because there's no way Kairo would ever finish the script.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Derek Smart plans to bring a lawsuit to try to get that picture in a timg.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Stop teasing me :( I want Early Access!

• Locked thread