Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh my loving god, that's real isn't it? Yeah, I'm really glad I stopped reading saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Red Mundus posted:

Oh my loving god, that's real isn't it? Yeah, I'm really glad I stopped reading saga.

This. :stare:

edit: Also, a shameful dragon

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I still like Saga v:shobon:v

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I can see the appeal. The premise is rock solid and has (had?) a great foundation to build from.

It's just that Shutter and the like have spoiled me a bit and I feel I can be a bit choosy. Especially in regards to Fluff the Magic Dragon over there.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I like saga but I only read it when new trades come out and don't think about it too much.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I think it has declined in quality and the artwork is far better than the writing is these days but I still enjoy it. I don't currently have plans to drop it but I can see why others don't read it anymore and yeah the dragon thing was loving weird in a bad way.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Black Magick is great.
Okay. Bye.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Teenage Fansub posted:

Black Magick is great.
Okay. Bye.

The art is loving gorgeous. Digging it so far.

Anyone else check out Ringside? I'll be sticking with it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Black Magick is great.
Okay. Bye.

This is how I feel and can't really contribute much beyond that. It's been ages since I found a book with black and white art that I really liked but Black Magick has easily filled that niche.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Norns posted:

The art is loving gorgeous. Digging it so far.

Anyone else check out Ringside? I'll be sticking with it.

I thought ringside was kind of meh, the art made it a little confusing and I felt like not a lot happened.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that the Dick Suckin' Dragon was responsible for a major character death.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
yeah but really at this point in saga what isn't?

i'm half-expecting Hazel to choke on a piece of toast by the end of this arc

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Speaking of comics set in space, does anyone know when Prophet is coming back? I really love that book.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Prophet earth war is January, also Saga is bad at space stuff and Prophet is a million times better.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

InnercityGriot posted:

Prophet earth war is January, also Saga is bad at space stuff and Prophet is a million times better.

Prophet is legit the best sci-fi comic I've ever read and one of my favorite sci-fi things ever, in general. I really like the way it modernizes the genre by presenting technology based more on biology than on physics. And the way it makes future advanced societies super disturbing and weird, so they actually feel like future advanced societies. And the way it turns the superhero stuff from the title's past into bizarre space mythology.

Prophet rocks.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Shutter is my favorite book where I completely forget what is going on every month. I mostly have no idea what's happening issue to issue but I still really enjoy it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Shutter is my favorite book where I completely forget what is going on every month. I mostly have no idea what's happening issue to issue but I still really enjoy it.

Same, I wasn't too hot on the lion society stuff but it turned out well. Poor alarm cat though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So I finally read the newest issue of Saga and my immediate reaction was that BKV read Sex Criminals and decided that a transgender storyline was something he could jump the gun on them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chairman Capone posted:

So I finally read the newest issue of Saga and my immediate reaction was that BKV read Sex Criminals and decided that a transgender storyline was something he could jump the gun on them.

He had a transgender storyline in Y the last man.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Same, I wasn't too hot on the lion society stuff but it turned out well. Poor alarm cat though.

It always makes much more sense to me reading the trades but somehow I still find the single issues really enjoyable.
RIP in pieces Cassius(Shutter spoiler)

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I just read The Astounding Wolfman by Robert Kirkman and Jason Howard. I've heard good things about it from friends when it was coming out and finally snagged the first TPB at work recently.

I found it incredibly disappointing, pacing was ridiculously fast, supporting characters were either dull or skewed eventually to unlikable and the main character himself was really bland. There was stuff to build on but it just never really seemed to happen in a way that made him stand out from being some sort of supermarket own brand no frills protagonist.
The Wolfman's design was pretty great but other wise the art, given the horror trappings and violence it was trying to show, stays in this odd limbo where the cartoon like designs take away any real impact that it may have had. Invincible is cartoonish but still managed to make its more violent moments leave an impression (though they do that a lil' too much there in my opinion) and since this is a world of Werewolfs and Vampires its impact being less hurts it. Not to say the art is bad, just that Howard was ill-suited for the tone.

Way too much exposition too as we stand on roof tops and chat about things that happened off screen. Heck theres even an explanation about 'Elder Brood' of werewolfs that probably could have been illustrated for a couple of panels showing them or at least giving an idea of their presence though out the ages with the dialouge instead of just the one talking head.

Theres stuff to like, like i said the design for the Wolfman is pretty neat and there's a secret base and cool car along with mystery sidekick/mentor but it just fails to really deliver anything other than an annoyance at how close this came to being really good vs just scraping OK. And I feel like 'OK' is being maybe generous.

Has anyone else read this? Does it get better? Should I have learned by now not to expect much from Kirkman any more?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Kirkman is a terrible, terrible writer and the only comics worth a poo poo from him are unpretentious splatfests like Battle Pope or Brit.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Kirkman is a terrible, terrible writer and the only comics worth a poo poo from him are unpretentious splatfests like Battle Pope or Brit.

I had Invincible on my sights because I like the premise and apparently it starts out really strong (I've heard that's his deal – starting a comic out strong, then dragging it out for 100+ issues). Should I not even bother? How long does it stay good for?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

:jerkbag:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

I had Invincible on my sights because I like the premise and apparently it starts out really strong (I've heard that's his deal – starting a comic out strong, then dragging it out for 100+ issues). Should I not even bother? How long does it stay good for?

I am going to be way too generous and say that it is good for the first 75 issues if you can get a kick out of melodrama and comically gruesome violence, after that it is mostly tedious milking of the concepts and very ugly, shock-baiting twists.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Just because something isn't for you or in line with your taste doesn't make it poo poo.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

I am going to be way too generous and say that it is good for the first 75 issues if you can get a kick out of melodrama and comically gruesome violence, after that it is mostly tedious milking of the concepts and very ugly, shock-baiting twists.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Norns posted:

Just because something isn't for you or in line with your taste doesn't make it poo poo.

Many people disagree, but I firmly believe there is such thing as objectively poo poo. I can't speak for Kirkman, but to give an example, there are a couple of Mark Millar's works that are in line with my tastes and that I like (The Authority, and, for some reason, I'm a fan of Wanted), but I would never call the dude a good writer. The existence of stuff like Secret Service is just baffling.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I also have no filter and enjoy most of what I read.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

You are not going to get reasonable Kirkman opinions in this subforum, everyone here hates him.

But I just read the first 21 trades and while there are ups and downs I like it just fine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really enjoyed The Walking Dead up until the end of the prison storyline. After that I just felt like it was obvious he had no real ideas or ultimate goal and so just kept the wheel spinning in Alexandria for a few dozen issues while he thought of something. I stopped reading about the time the TV show began because nothing of any interest had happened since the prison.

Plus, this is nothing to do with Kirkman, but Charlie Adlard is a terrible artist and he kept getting worse as the series went on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Plus, this is nothing to do with Kirkman, but Charlie Adlard is a terrible artist and he kept getting worse as the series went on.

Ugh, agreed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

You are not going to get reasonable Kirkman opinions in this subforum, everyone here hates him.

But I just read the first 21 trades and while there are ups and downs I like it just fine.

Unlike your opinion, which is reasonable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Norns posted:

this is true. however, it is also true that Robert Kirkman is poo poo.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I liked so much of his stuff before, a good chunk of Invincible, and even walking dead until they got to Alexandria. His Marvel Team up was great fun and I liked his first Tech Jacket story and though it got old in the end with the forever happening mini's I remember enjoying Marvel Zombies.

But he obviously had his issues with marvel as many a writer has done before with one of the big two, complaining of events and tie-ins and variant issues. Which is fair enough and I even kind of agree with a bunch of it. which made it aggrivating as all hell when he clearly just shrugged and went 'well if you cant beat em, join em!' and everything got overly violent and shock-value-tastic. Walking dead 100 had so many different varients it just felt so dissapointing.

Can you blame the guy for selling out? I can't. You get a hit-tv show, critically acclaimed comic, piles of money coming your way from it. Few comic creators can claim that happened for them. The rub of it is just watching him kind of just coast ever since that happened.

To be fair I've not given him a fair chance with his latest fare, Thief of Theives and Outcast, are they any good?

I had thought Jason Howard would be better on an all-ages comic when reading Wolf-man and it seems he's the artist of Kirkman's Super-dinosaur, my boy is huge on dino-anything so I may give this a flip through, heck given that its still ongoing and not the kind of comic that gets variants or does hyper violence maybe this is one he actually thought about and tried to be fun right?

I'm almost certain this sounds like I'm nothing but negative but I really want to be positive about a writer I've enjoyed a lot in the past.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

My wife and I are both enjoying Outcast. 13th issue just came out. Haven't read any Thief of Theives.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I really enjoyed his Tech Jacket and Super Dinosaur. And I liked Invincible when I read it, but I apparently lost track of it before it went completely off the rails. Same with Walking Dead. Seems like maybe his lighter fare is a bit better than his dark hyper violent stuff.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Admittedly, my reading of Thief of Thieves was tainted by the perception that it was written to be optioned, but even so, I found it fairly boring (after reading the first two trades). So many portions of the script are begging to be punched up in the pie-in-the-sky AMC adaptation. It is a comic about thieves, with all the tropes that includes, and I jumped ship rather than expect it to get better.

Completely agreed with above posters that Kirkman is fun to read when he's handling fun characters; when he tries to write serious adults everything just turns sluggish and dull. The Walking Dead has been trudging through "someone please give us a deserving rear end in a top hat to murder" territory for a long while now.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Agent_grey posted:

Can you blame the guy for selling out? I can't. You get a hit-tv show, critically acclaimed comic, piles of money coming your way from it. Few comic creators can claim that happened for them. The rub of it is just watching him kind of just coast ever since that happened.

Owning all things that you write and retaining some creative control over adaptations is like the opposite of selling out.

I recommend everyone to check out the interview Kirkman did with Marc Maron - http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/episode-619-robert-kirkman-bob-fingerman - he talks about his start in publishing comics, difference between writing for comics and for TV and more.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
You're right, 'selling out' is not the right phrase, but it still rubbed me the wrong way how quick he was to put into practice things he had been so damning about previously. I guess it makes the money though and that's the aim of the game. I put up with the big two doing it so maybe it's hypocritical of me to bug me so much.

Thanks for the link, I'll read it on my lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cyphoderus posted:

There's a big collection that's like the first 60 or so issues and if you don't go beyond that you're still in the safe zone.

I think around issue 85 or so it goes loving stupid.

I've read the first trade of outcast and it seems interesting in a "nothing is happening but there might be potential here?"