Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Some guy on Reddit claims that he is able to make Play Store payments partially with Play credit and the rest with credit card / bank. Could be bullshit, could be Google is finally rolling out what we should have had all along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hEi_DZMbMQ

It might not be BS? Who knows... if it's real, it's probably something that's turned on server-side and the majority of people won't see it until months from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Astrotrain posted:

Doesn't using digital output for headphones necessitate a DAC to be integrated into the headphones? That seems lovely
Someone beat me to it but the reason I specifically said USB-C is because, as far as I understand, it can output an analog audio signal.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

n.. posted:

No. USB-C supports analog audio out.

Well gently caress. Then it doesn't matter. I'll pony up the $15 or whatever for the adapter, just like the rest of us, and forget it was ever anything else.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

Well gently caress. Then it doesn't matter. I'll pony up the $15 or whatever for the adapter, just like the rest of us, and forget it was ever anything else.

Basically every phone post-jellybean supports USB Audio DACs over USB-OTG already. You can get pretty tiny ones for super cheap. I don't think losing the 3.5mm audio output on a phone would be a big deal.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Basically every phone post-jellybean supports USB Audio DACs over USB-OTG already. You can get pretty tiny ones for super cheap. I don't think losing the 3.5mm audio output on a phone would be a big deal.

While you're right about the 3.5mm going away not being a big deal, I'd still rather keep the DAC on the phone. I can't hear a difference between FLAC and 320k MP3, but I'd imagine that I'd still be able to tell the difference between an onboard DAC and a cheap external one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SwissCM posted:

Having to carry around another device that you have to pay for separately from your phone may not be a big deal to you, but it will be to some people. I mean, part of the big push to get better DACs on phones was so that people could replace separate MP3 players with their phone. Why are people suddenly clamoring to get rid of that?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My Nexus 6P sometimes just doesn't play sounds. There's no rhyme or reason to it: When the phone is sleeping, when the text message window in question has focus and the screen is on, when I'm using the phone but in another app, etc. How hard is it to just play the sounds, phone? :(

Edit: Factory reset the loving thing, and it seems to work now!

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 3, 2015

Deadlink
Aug 18, 2003
Va Va Voom bought me this account, what a fine gentlemen he is

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I would feel really bad for your girlfriend tbh. I have a 2014 Moto G now and it's the biggest piece of poo poo android phone I've ever used. Can't use google maps and music together because they kick each other out of memory constantly. Can't stream music over bluetooth because it constantly sutters, pops, pauses and unpauses itself. Performance is abysmal.

E: seriously don't give your gf that phone or she'll probably leave you

she knows the phone, she has seen me using it for almost a year now and she likes it, partly because I haven't seen any of those issues you had (granted, I never stream music over bluetooth). I still think the 2014 Moto G is a perfectly fine phone and I was tempted to just get her a 2014 to replace her breaking Samsung ... but then I wouldn't get a new electronic device to play around with myself and that would've made me sad :(

anyway, sorry your Moto G was utter poo poo, but I am confident that it will not ruin my relationship. ;)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The girlfriend has a problem with her nexus 5. Sometimes (though basically every time she uses the camera) the phone will just turn off. When rebooted it shows 3% battery when before it was at like 70%. The battery will then sometimes slightly recover without charging.

This might have been happening before marshmallow though we're not sure. We already flashed a fresh marshmallow image and it didn't go away so I'm guessing it's the battery itself.

Here's a picture from when it happened on Tuesday. Notice that the phone wasn't charging when it regains battery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

The girlfriend has a problem with her nexus 5. Sometimes (though basically every time she uses the camera) the phone will just turn off. When rebooted it shows 3% battery when before it was at like 70%. The battery will then sometimes slightly recover without charging.

This might have been happening before marshmallow though we're not sure. We already flashed a fresh marshmallow image and it didn't go away so I'm guessing it's the battery itself.

Here's a picture from when it happened on Tuesday. Notice that the phone wasn't charging when it regains battery.

Replacing the battery seems like a no-brainer but I have to wonder if you're still having the same issue with the phone rebooting every time the camera is used even after reflashing the stock image? If so it might be time for a new device.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's 100% the battery

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Replacing the battery seems like a no-brainer but I have to wonder if you're still having the same issue with the phone rebooting every time the camera is used even after reflashing the stock image? If so it might be time for a new device.

Yeah basically. We bought it used on ebay, updated it from 5.1.1 to 6 when the OTA came and already tried flashing the marshmallow stock image.

Are there any recommendations for a special vendor/supplier we should buy from? Or should we just buy one of the :airquote: OEM :airquote: batteries on amazon and hope it doesn't explode

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You might need a new SIM. It could be old enough that it's not provisioned for LTE.

This was the problem. Went by the AT&T store, got a new SIM and LTE works fine now :)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Yeah basically. We bought it used on ebay, updated it from 5.1.1 to 6 when the OTA came and already tried flashing the marshmallow stock image.

Are there any recommendations for a special vendor/supplier we should buy from? Or should we just buy one of the :airquote: OEM :airquote: batteries on amazon and hope it doesn't explode

eTrade Supply is known for being reputable.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

maltesh posted:

So, picked up a 6P two weeks ago, as an upgrade from my Nexus 5.

Wireless charging on the Nexus 5 was an excellent feature. Many a night when I came home exhausted, I'd just slap the thing onto my Tylt Vu charger, secure in the knowledge that it would be fully charged when I woke in the morning, no dexterity required.

I don't miss it on the 6P. Battery life, quick-charging, and Doze means that my typical regimen is, instead, to quickcharge the phone for about an hour at the late night if I think I might want to, and leave the phone unplugged on the bedside all night, secure in the knowledge that it'll be ready to take on the day the next morning, and can top it up to full if I feel like it in about 15 minutes.

At this point, I'm pretty much used to the size. It won't sit in my shirt pockets without sticking out, which is a bit of an annoyance, but I'll deal with that.

I'm with you. I thought I would really miss Qi but as it turns out the reason I liked it so much is because the loving phone always needed a trickle charge throughout the day the way I used it and with the 6p/Android 6.0 it doesn't. I do the same thing you do.

They really did a good job with this. I much prefer a daily short quick-charge over leaving the phone plugged in on the nightstand all night and sticking it on my Tylt stand when I'm not using it during the day.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

eTrade Supply is known for being reputable.

While that may be, and the 12€ price for the battery seems ok, shipping to Europe appears to be almost 65€. At that point I might as well buy a broken N5 on ebay and use it's battery instead.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Mooktastical posted:

While you're right about the 3.5mm going away not being a big deal, I'd still rather keep the DAC on the phone. I can't hear a difference between FLAC and 320k MP3, but I'd imagine that I'd still be able to tell the difference between an onboard DAC and a cheap external one.

What I'm saying is that the DAC will still be on the phone. USB-C can handle analog audio. Everything will be the same, your headphones will just use a different jack. And presumably it could be a pass-through type connector so you could still charge your phone as well.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Sereri posted:

While that may be, and the 12€ price for the battery seems ok, shipping to Europe appears to be almost 65€. At that point I might as well buy a broken N5 on ebay and use it's battery instead.

I don't know if you're in Germany, but take a look here: http://www.meintrendyhandy.de/shop/lg-nexus-5-225776c1.html

I've used the danish version of the store, ,and they're quite good, haven't had any troubles with them before.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

n.. posted:

What I'm saying is that the DAC will still be on the phone. USB-C can handle analog audio. Everything will be the same, your headphones will just use a different jack. And presumably it could be a pass-through type connector so you could still charge your phone as well.
And thus 2 billion new adapters shall be sold. Wonder why this change is being pushed on comsumers?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Syrinxx posted:

And thus 2 billion new adapters shall be sold. Wonder why this change is being pushed on comsumers?

lol, what specific organization would benefit from this move?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Until it actually happens, this change hasn't been pushed on consumers.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Do we know if the 5x are going to be in Verizon stores anytime soon? Move around for work, sometimes without much warning so I don't want to try and order one online to a specific spot unless I have to, but the local store I went to didn't have them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, it won't.

Google did not partner with ANY carriers for this round, so the two phones will not be in any carrier stores.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Kidney Stone posted:

I don't know if you're in Germany, but take a look here: http://www.meintrendyhandy.de/shop/lg-nexus-5-225776c1.html

I've used the danish version of the store, ,and they're quite good, haven't had any troubles with them before.

Thanks, giving this a try. :)

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

bull3964 posted:

No, it won't.

Google did not partner with ANY carriers for this round, so the two phones will not be in any carrier stores.

Womp, ok thanks.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

bull3964 posted:

No, it won't.

I get why Google didn't partner but they really should have provided some sort of non-Fi financing/trade-in offer like Apple. I considered a Nexus 6P but with the incentives Samsung was offering the pricing was basically the same (Actually slightly better after the account credit for making the upgrade difficult) on the S6 Edge+ and I'm not going to lie, a zero interest loan that doesn't ding your credit at all with a guaranteed trade back next year and I can lie to myself but I am honestly going to want to trade in after a year at slightly longer seemed like one hell of a deal to have to wait a little longer for Marshmellow. Especially when the specs of the S6 Edge + are better than the Nexus 6P depending on how much you have TouchWiz.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's the point of the Edge Plus?

At that point why not get the Note and not have to deal with the ugly screen gimmick.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

dissss posted:

What's the point of the Edge Plus?

At that point why not get the Note and not have to deal with the ugly screen gimmick.

It's slightly thinner and lighter and I have absolutely no use for a pen given that my handwriting is atrocious and I can normally type faster than I can write. I dunno, ugly is in the eye of the beholder, the most shocking thing about the screen is that it doesn't distort as you would expect it to and I think it gives it a cool effect. I mean why not, a pen I will never use vs a screen that does look kind of cool if arguably useless as well?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

No, it won't.

I didn't mind that carriers didn't stock it in their stores, but having to buy an expensive electronic device sight unseen was a hurdle for me. It worked out, but I still would have liked to see the phone in person, and no store carries it as far as I know - at least not at the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Most of the best buys in my area say that they will have 5x in stores on the 5th.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Syrinxx posted:

Uh, okay, so which company is pushing this change on consumers? There's been mention of a whole (1) model of phone from (1) manufacturer that ships without a headphone port. I'm sure there are a few more out there but that's hardly "being pushed on consumers".

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

I find myself in a similar situation as Three Olives where currently there's only a 10€ difference between the S6 Edge+ and the Nexus 6P. I'm not a big fan of Touchwiz, but after an S2 and an S4 I'm pretty much used to it and the phones are fairly similar in specs, so I'm a bit torn.

The Edge+ has wireless charging, no need to buy new cables, supposedly decent battery life (that's probably only going to get better once it gets Marshmallow), fingerprint scanner on the front and, subjectively, aesthetics.

The 6P has no Touchwiz, fast updates, already on Marshmallow, no bloatware, bigger battery, similar specs, better fingerprint scanner, no stupid gimmicks I'll never use and no Touchwiz.

When normally priced, I wouldn't even consider the Edge+ since there's no way it's worth 200€ more than a Nexus 6P, but that isn't currently the case. Are there any pros/cons that I should (re)consider?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If you're at all curious about VR. Gear VR is pretty cool, so that can help decidey.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Don't consider the cables. USB-C is a better standard and now that some devices have started using it chances are it's going to snowball. Your cables are going to be replaced sooner or later anyway, so ignore the cabling question and buy devices based on their other merits instead.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

n.. posted:

I know. Read the post I quoted.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

grack posted:

Uh, okay, so which company is pushing this change on consumers? There's been mention of a whole (1) model of phone from (1) manufacturer that ships without a headphone port. I'm sure there are a few more out there but that's hardly "being pushed on consumers".

The source of this whole stupid rear end argument is basically "I heard..." AFAIK

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

The source of this whole stupid rear end argument is basically "I heard..." AFAIK

Yeah, it started from a post that is an otherwise unverified iPhone rumor - something we won't have any real evidence of it happening until later next year.

GuyCastle
Jun 24, 2000

pun pundit posted:

Don't consider the cables. USB-C is a better standard and now that some devices have started using it chances are it's going to snowball. Your cables are going to be replaced sooner or later anyway, so ignore the cabling question and buy devices based on their other merits instead.

Oh, I know, it's definitely not a deciding factor, just something for me to consider when it comes to short-term costs. Those cables are still pricey and quality can be hit or miss.

As for the gear VR; I'd definitely file that under gimmicks/features I don't see myself using more than once. Same goes for the heartrate/O2 saturation sensor or samsung pay.

I'm leaning more and more to the Nexus 6P, only thing that really holding me back is no wireless charging, the fact that it's larger, and that I find it less aesthetically pleasing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of cables I just got my new Nexus and need to replace my old ones. I heard from Some Article Somewhere Online that some unofficial chargers/charging cables were unsafe. Or maybe a combination of official chargers and unofficial adaptors that were unsafe? Whatever.

Is this just fearmongering garbage and your average amazon product will be fine or is this a legit thing and I should get the Google Store overpriced stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The issue is legit, but there are sites out there to help you weed out the bad ones. Really though, just buy Anker and you'll be fine.

I did also just get a two pack of these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0151...6cFL&ref=plSrch

Initially they weren't compliant, but the Google engineer that exposed all of this worked with the manufacturer to fix then.