Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Its blue seed, as was said. The omake are all pretty great and ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
is it always that heavily 4th wall leaning or is there other types of comedy in it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The main show is a straight action/comedy/ecchi thing that doesn't do any fourth wall breaking (that I can remember), those are from what would now be DVD extra shorts.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Blue seed is pretty serious in the main show, sorta standard mildly dark mid 90s action fare. Shorts are silly, sd characters and what not, that one short is the most wall breaky of them (i feel like there was a follow up but i haven't watched em for like a decade)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't remember that scene but my gut tells me you should try googling the Ghost Stories English dub.

EDIT: Did some poking around and it seems that particular joke is from Blue Seed. It's only included as an omake though so I've no idea how it reflects on the rest of the show.

Sweet, thanks for the help!

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika: OK this one isn't on the wiki yet for some dumb reason but gently caress it it's so so so great. Autobiogrpahical story about a Josei manga author as she goes from High School to a being an author, focusing particularly on the relationship between herself and her teacher. Very brutal emotionally at times, especially when you realize it's non-fiction.

I watched her episode of that Urasawa documentary a few weeks ago, so to find out about Kakukaku Shikajika is pretty exciting. Her speed in that documentary was incredible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo! I saw a promising series based on the summary, which brought back memories of a horrible old wii game called Escape From Bug Island that was gloriously dumb, and was hoping for more of that.

Nope, just giant rape bugs, thanks japan :negative:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo! I saw a promising series based on the summary, which brought back memories of a horrible old wii game called Escape From Bug Island that was gloriously dumb, and was hoping for more of that.

Nope, just giant rape bugs, thanks japan :negative:

i don't know what you expected when the tags were Ecchi Horror Tragedy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Like half the poo poo on kissmanga has the ecchi tag even if it's not really fanservicey.

Also I don't think people being sodomized by butterfly proboscises or rape maggots are really just "ecchi"

I guess I saw a new series in the recently updated list and hoped it wouldn't be poo poo, shame on me!

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Dungeon Meshi is real good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i don't know what you expected when the tags were Ecchi Horror Tragedy

Something sexy

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Namtab posted:

Something sexy

stupid sexy rape bugs

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Namtab posted:

Something sexy

They just got to the sexy apparently, if by sexy you mean outright loving.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Can anyone recommend me a good thriller manga in the vein of Monster or Death Note? Bonus points if it also incorporates elements of hard SF and/or I can read it for free online.

coathat
May 21, 2007

You should read Soil

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

coathat posted:

You should read Soil

Thanks, this looks pretty cool.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The rear end Stooge posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good thriller manga in the vein of Monster or Death Note? Bonus points if it also incorporates elements of hard SF and/or I can read it for free online.
You should really read I Am Missing. It's about a dude who, initially, seems to be just a manga artist failure working at a pizza place, but quickly descends into a hunt for a serial child murderer. It's a supernatural murder mystery that spans quite a long period of time, it's not finished yet but is continuing to be updated. It's one of the most gut-punching series I've been reading, too, it's just brutal and unflinching.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Captain Invictus posted:

You should really read I Am Missing. It's about a dude who, initially, seems to be just a manga artist failure working at a pizza place, but quickly descends into a hunt for a serial child murderer. It's a supernatural murder mystery that spans quite a long period of time, it's not finished yet but is continuing to be updated. It's one of the most gut-punching series I've been reading, too, it's just brutal and unflinching.

I just read this and it's rediculously good and I want more :(

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

If you haven't read it, 20th Century Boys is by the same guy as Monster and is great.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

PlutoPlutoPlutoPluto
Seriously, Pluto is a murder mystery that is the author/artist as Monster adapting an Astroboy story and it's my favorite work by him. It's so loving good.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Thanks y'all. This should give me plenty to do over the holiday break.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Eyeshield 21: Manga, anime, or both?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Manga definitely. It's one of a few series I'll re-read from time to time because it's full of burning spirit. The anime maybe.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The anime is kinda fun but doesn't do a lot special to justify it over the manga. For one, the anime ends before the manga I think.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Should I watch Rose of Versailles? I have enjoyed both Utena and Le Chevalier D'Eon and I know both are heavily influenced by this show, but I know relatively little about it other than that it's A. Gorgeous and B. Focuses on crossdressing swordfighters in Ancien Regime France.

The show would be the second-oldest anime I'd have seen (it came out in 1980, only the original Gundam is older of what I've seen). It will also be the first series I've tackled since LOGH so I am very ready for court politics. Does this series hold up? 40 Eps is a real commitment (maybe 3-4 months).

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's really good. You should read the manga too.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Should I watch Rose of Versailles? I have enjoyed both Utena and Le Chevalier D'Eon and I know both are heavily influenced by this show, but I know relatively little about it other than that it's A. Gorgeous and B. Focuses on crossdressing swordfighters in Ancien Regime France.

The show would be the second-oldest anime I'd have seen (it came out in 1980, only the original Gundam is older of what I've seen). It will also be the first series I've tackled since LOGH so I am very ready for court politics. Does this series hold up? 40 Eps is a real commitment (maybe 3-4 months).

Yes

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I read the manga and liked it

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
RoV is very good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been watching Patlabor, and I'm loving the poo poo out of it. Seeing how 'normal' the robots are, as opposed to being superweapons or even military-only vehicles, is something I never knew I'd find appealing. Any other mecha shows like this?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Been watching Patlabor, and I'm loving the poo poo out of it. Seeing how 'normal' the robots are, as opposed to being superweapons or even military-only vehicles, is something I never knew I'd find appealing. Any other mecha shows like this?

Patlabor's kind of one--of-a-kind in that sense, unfortunately.

However, it might interest you to know there's a Patlabor simulwatch planned for sometime next year.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Droyer posted:

Patlabor's kind of one--of-a-kind in that sense, unfortunately.

However, it might interest you to know there's a Patlabor simulwatch planned for sometime next year.

Huh, awesome. I might just try participate (never been in a simulwatch before). That said, kind of a bummer that nobody's tried to do what Patlabor did, bah.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Are you watching the Patlabor show, or the OVA + Movies? When you're done with whichever one you're watching, you should also watch the others.

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.
I finally watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes, it really was amazing.
But where do I go from here?

Someone recommend me something new- here are the precious Animes I love:

Kemonozume (My favorite ever.)
Tatami Galaxy
Mind Games
Ping Pong
Basically everything with Masaaki Yuasas name attached to it

Miyazaki Films
Hosoda Films

Mononoke
Kids on the Slope
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Death Note
Trigun
Cowboy BeBop
Space Dandy
Berserk
Flowers of Evil
Sword Art Online

I like good story, animation and artwork. Even if not's anime if you think it fits my interests go for it.

edit: I might try to find where I left off in Monster and finish that, but save me the trouble and just recommend me something new.

MSPaintClock fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 24, 2015

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MSPaintClock posted:

I like good story, animation and artwork. Even if not's anime if you think it fits my interests go for it.

Have you seen Evangelion? The animation quality can vary throughout the series from insanely good to blatant frame-saving and reused cells/shots, but there's a reason we still can't shut up about it nearly 20 years after it first aired.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

MSPaintClock posted:

Tatami Galaxy
Mind Games
Ping Pong

Miyazaki Films
Hosoda Films

Mononoke
Kids on the Slope
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Death Note
Trigun
Cowboy BeBop
Space Dandy
Berserk
Flowers of Evil
Sword Art Online

edit: I might try to find where I left off in Monster and finish that, but save me the trouble and just recommend me something new.

Anything (everything) by Satoshi Kon would be my first recommendation, as well as the non Miyazaki Ghibli films, specifically the ones from Takahata and Whisper of the Heart.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you want some more cool sci-fi, check out Banner/Crest of the Stars.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MSPaintClock posted:

Tatami Galaxy
Mind Games
Ping Pong

Miyazaki Films
Hosoda Films

Mononoke
Kids on the Slope
Ghost in the Shell
Samurai Champloo
FLCL
Death Note
Trigun
Cowboy BeBop
Space Dandy
Berserk
Flowers of Evil
Sword Art Online

SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2199

MSPaintClock
Dec 30, 2006

FF7 rules.
Nice suggestions, do you guys know anything like Kemonozume, Mind Games and Ping Pongs style of art? I've already seen Tekkon Kinkreet, I loved the art- thought the story was kind of 2deep4me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Kick-Heart if you haven't checked it out yet.