Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

baw posted:

that's because if the shooters are muslim there will be a backlash against muslims. no such problem if the shooters are white

Yeah exactly. it's really depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

greatn posted:

It's really hosed up that every time there's another mass shooting everyone in the thread and in the mainstream political media and thought is openly rooting for the shooters to have been under one political ideology or one race or another.

I always hope it's men from beyond the moon so that our planet can unite as a species. And for this, I apologize to you.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Would it be terribly surprising if trump just wanted to singlehandedly choose the president, so he puts himself in a situation that allows his resignation to be the only deciding factor and chooses his running mate?

On the other hand, I think he's just found the pain points of the Republican zeitgeist and is digging his thumbs into it just to stay a household name..

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still don't understand why Trump wants to be President. Does he really want to devote 4/8 years to being PoTUS and not just doing whatever the gently caress he wants? Maybe he never thought it would ever get this big and doesn't know how to quit now? Does he want to lose and then embolden his brand with a massive persecution complex and a rabid fanbase?

It's not a Producers scheme, he's been talking about running for President since the last 80s and the Central Park Five case. He almost did it in 2000, IIRC. I think his only reasoning is that he's an insane narcissist who believes he's entitled to it. He's been a successful businessman (never mind that he's basically a trust fund baby), he's totes super popular you guys, and he's seen that a lot of people will just follow him like Lemmings, without having any consequences to his actions. He's not going to quit when he's in 1st place, still getting an incredible amount of pageviews and media attention, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the nomination, loses the general, and contests those results.

Trump is obviously saying what the nativist Republican white male voter wants to hear, but is it because the current GOP pack is so miserably weak that Trump is truly excelling? If there were a stronger candidate, would Trump have received at least some blowback?

Kafka Esq. posted:

Would it be terribly surprising if trump just wanted to singlehandedly choose the president, so he puts himself in a situation that allows his resignation to be the only deciding factor and chooses his running mate?

He's not going to resign, but I want to non-ironically see who he would pick as a VP. The possibilities are endless. Ted Cruz? His wife? Gary Busey?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Riosan posted:

He's not going to resign, but I want to non-ironically see who he would pick as a VP. The possibilities are endless. Ted Cruz? His wife? Gary Busey?
I think you just figured out what his next reality show will be.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

baw posted:

that's because if the shooters are muslim there will be a backlash against muslims. no such problem if the shooters are white
Isn't this awfully reactive, though? Is it really impossible to establish a different dominant narrative instead?

Unrelated, in view of the shooters' general Muslim-ness, I find those early words by the chief of police, I think?, that it's not 'traditional terrorism', to be interesting. I mean, that person must have known the shooters' ethnicity at the point of making them. (Or am I wrong on that?) So these words start to sound like a way to hedge this backlash. Just a thought.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Masonic Youth posted:

I think you just figured out what his next reality show will be.

The GOP primary is already pretty much The Apprentice: Presidential Edition.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

meristem posted:

Isn't this awfully reactive, though? Is it really impossible to establish a different dominant narrative instead?

Unrelated, in view of the shooters' general Muslim-ness, I find those early words by the chief of police, I think?, that it's not 'traditional terrorism', to be interesting. I mean, that person must have known the shooters' ethnicity at the point of making them. (Or am I wrong on that?) So these words start to sound like a way to hedge this backlash. Just a thought.

Your logic is sound, but mass media doesn't run on logic. They stand to gain the bigger they hype this up as a terrorist attack, and the less scrupulous (Fox) would run with the terrorist Muslim angle just to stir the base up and score points off Obama.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

Yeah exactly. it's really depressing.

There have already been some small scale backlashes against individuals after the Paris thing, and even candidates calling for internment camps. Can't imagine a domestic incident would deescalate things.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

baw posted:

Why wait:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Still tame by Post standards.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gently caress these two. Not for what they did but for the inevitable ways in which the usual subhuman filth will use it as a sledgehammer against minorities and refugees.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

FAUXTON posted:

gently caress these two. Not for what they did but for the inevitable ways in which the usual subhuman filth will use it as a sledgehammer against minorities and refugees.
Also for what they did.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JT Jag posted:

Also for what they did.

Yeah -- like someone I know on the book messaged me smugly "you still outraged now that you can self-blame whites??" And it's like, yes?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, who cares that they killed 14 and wounded 20... Screw the other people who will use this to be racist!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trump really is Presidential candidate Lex Luthor from Justice League.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Are you loving kidding me?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

mcmagic posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

How are you in some wat shocked the NY Post would gin up hate and fear?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That is extra heinous, even for the NY Post...

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Please don't associate gin with this terrible tragedy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

That is extra heinous, even for the NY Post...

Brother if you like extra heinous opinions about Muslims you are gonna love the next couple of weeks.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Republicans posted:

In a way that leaves me felling kinda sad and gross it's almost comforting to know these kinds of events don't even make people bat a loving eye anymore and significant hay won't be made from this come election time because nobody cares.

I'm trying to imagine what would at this point.

I'm thinking something like a mass shooter on top of an SUV swinging a decapitated head at the end of steel chain like an around the world yo-yo, splattering blood on bystanders while hooping and hollering like Major Kong at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

zoux posted:

Brother if you like extra heinous opinions about Muslims you are gonna love the next couple of weeks.

Worse than the last few? I find that hard to believe. It might stay at that level though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Remember when I said we were going to have pogroms within a decade and you all laughed?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Thank you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

Remember when I said we were going to have pogroms within a decade and you all laughed?

Still laughing.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'm trying to imagine what would at this point.

I'm thinking something like a mass shooter on top of an SUV swinging a decapitated head at the end of steel chain like an around the world yo-yo, splattering blood on bystanders while hooping and hollering like Major Kong at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

Trump's inauguration party is going to be incredible.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Still laughing.

laughing all the way to the ovens, baby!

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

laughing all the way to the ovens, baby!

The Day the Clown Cried, only in real life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm still laughing about the fact that Fox had Mark Fuhrman on as an expert analysis to decry the PCness of the coverage of the attacks.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm still laughing about the fact that Fox had Mark Fuhrman on as an expert analysis to decry the PCness of the coverage of the attacks.

There are a large number of people who think that Jack Nicholson was the hero of "A Few Good Men."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well if we learned anything from the OJ Simpson trial it's that jumping to racist conclusions about suspects is the best way to build a strong case and an ironclad prosecution.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Ted Cruz on San Bernardino: "This is yet another manifestation of terrorism, radical Islamic terrorism here at home."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ron Jeremy posted:

There are a large number of people who think that Jack Nicholson was the hero of "A Few Good Men."
Robin Hood was a shiftless bandit who stole from proper job creators and gave the money to moochers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ted Cruz on San Bernardino: "This is yet another manifestation of terrorism, radical Islamic terrorism here at home."

The thing is that no amount of evidence or investigation is going to convince a sizable amount of the electorate otherwise.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What if Ahmed Lanza had done Sandy Hook, and not Adam?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Well if we learned anything from the OJ Simpson trial it's that jumping to racist conclusions about suspects is the best way to build a strong case and an ironclad prosecution.

Sometimes, when investigating a crime, you just need to shout the n-word a few dozen times, but oh no, the PC police won't have it!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

The thing is that no amount of evidence or investigation is going to convince a sizable amount of the electorate otherwise.

This is such a doubly sickening affair because not only are we going to get to see the Hottest of Gun Lobby Takes, we're also going to see the same people, at the same time, in the same breath, talk about restricting the rights of Muslim Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

• Locked thread