Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mackieman posted:

If you need help with those, let me know. I have an award booking to SCL coming up soon. :cool:

Chile is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hey, picking seats on Emirates is just a best effort thing for when it comes time to check in. Really cool stuff.

Thankfully we made it on the flight. As much as I'd like a "free ticket anywhere" connecting via 15hr45min to Dubai isn't really a good thing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Thanks, man, that's very interesting!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
For those familiar with MCO. Is it possible to cross terminals and gates without going back through security? I've got a JB flight in and out, but I'd like to stop at the UA Lounge for the few hour layover. The map tells me the airline gates are across the map and separate terminals from each-other, but doesn't make mention if you have to go through security and TSA for the specific terminals like they do at some airports. The connection out is an international, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Untagged posted:

For those familiar with MCO. Is it possible to cross terminals and gates without going back through security? I've got a JB flight in and out, but I'd like to stop at the UA Lounge for the few hour layover. The map tells me the airline gates are across the map and separate terminals from each-other, but doesn't make mention if you have to go through security and TSA for the specific terminals like they do at some airports. The connection out is an international, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

They're not all connected air side, so you'd have to re-clear.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Has anyone here flown Etihad Business? If so, is there a huge difference between their A380 and B777 seats? I had a google around but I would rather get the opinion of someone who isn't an autistic points blogger.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Speaking of miles and not hording them...

I have 103k UA miles, plus 127k Chase points that I can transfer. I don't travel much for work, usually just personal trips so the bulk of my earning is normal daily spend. I want to get two first class tickets to Asia or Australia, which according to the chart would go for 160k each/320k total. My fiancee is convinced that in the two years it'll take me to get the rest of the miles, there will be more devaluations and I'll never actually get the right amount (I already have the CSP and United MileagePlus so no more cards for me). Is she right? Should I burn the miles for something less crazy?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It feels like you're quite short, but people here generate those kind of miles in a year easily.

How much do you fly/spend per year?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You could easily cut 60k from the number required if you flew business class instead of first, is first class worth ~$1000 and another year of accumulation? You could also apply for the business version of the United Mileage Explorer or the Amex SPG for the signup offers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pretty sure he means J not F but it's a good point if he did not.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
A quick google search shows me that the program changes and miles go through devaluation every 24-36 months.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Quick trip to Hong Kong for next week. 30 hours of flying for 72 hours in country, roughly. But hey, it'll pop me over for Plat on AA for next year.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Quick trip to Hong Kong for next week. 30 hours of flying for 72 hours in country, roughly. But hey, it'll pop me over for Plat on AA for next year.

I recommend checking out the Temple Street night markets if you want some retail therapy.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Devian666 posted:

I recommend checking out the Temple Street night markets if you want some retail therapy.

followed by the massage parlours in TST for a little sexual healing la

I've been shuttling between Hong Kong and Taipei for a couple of months now and have accrued about 8,000 Marco Polo miles. Pretty crummy for what amounts to a 5 hour door to door twice weekly trip. You domestic guys don't know how good you have it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sink the biz posted:

followed by the massage parlours in TST for a little sexual healing la

I've been shuttling between Hong Kong and Taipei for a couple of months now and have accrued about 8,000 Marco Polo miles. Pretty crummy for what amounts to a 5 hour door to door twice weekly trip. You domestic guys don't know how good you have it.

Most of my domestic trips are 5 hours in the air, let alone picking up a rental car and driving another hour or so.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
And did you know? Thanks to the magic of time zones and flying east-west, its possible to day trip.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

FunOne posted:

I know at least 5 people who are making runs like this across the next two weeks. Tis the season.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Blinkman987 posted:

I know at least 5 people who are making runs like this across the next two weeks. Tis the season.

Not a mileage run technically, but a short trip to our manufacturer to verify production specs on a new order and meet with some regulatory people.

HKG is the transit. The bulk of the trip will be in beautiful Shunde.

EDIT: I've never done a miles + Cash upgrade on AA. Do I pay upfront or just if it clears? If I pay upfront and it doesn't clear do I keep my cash balance for my next flight or upgrade request?

FunOne fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 2, 2015

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Omne posted:

Speaking of miles and not hording them...

I have 103k UA miles, plus 127k Chase points that I can transfer. I don't travel much for work, usually just personal trips so the bulk of my earning is normal daily spend. I want to get two first class tickets to Asia or Australia, which according to the chart would go for 160k each/320k total. My fiancee is convinced that in the two years it'll take me to get the rest of the miles, there will be more devaluations and I'll never actually get the right amount (I already have the CSP and United MileagePlus so no more cards for me). Is she right? Should I burn the miles for something less crazy?

Eh, we just went through a big adjustment and I don't think that there is another coming down with the direction of the company recovering from Smisek's war on employees and FFs. That said, she's right, miles never accumulate value, they only lose value. Personally I try to never carry more than a 500K or, what I could find to do something with in a year. Good news is that UA has been ultra communicative about the last devaluation and they gave us many many months to book tickets that landed past the deval dates. You'll probably have time to burn 'em if you follow the news about miles.

Do any of you guys have experience in Bangkok? I've only done an overnight there and I stayed in the Millennium Hilton which was ok but I didn't have a ton of time there just being an overnight. I'm going over christmas and I don't think I want to stay in the Millennium although the location/view on the river is nice.

There's a hilton in Sukhumvit and then there is the Conrad. I think this boils down to location as I don't hear horrible things about either. It's about 15 mins transit between the two, not a huge deal. Advise? Experience at either property would be appreciated. Punching my Conrad card might be fun, Conrads can be fun, they take care of diamonds, but I think location is more important this trip.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AgrippaNothing posted:

Do any of you guys have experience in Bangkok? I've only done an overnight there and I stayed in the Millennium Hilton which was ok but I didn't have a ton of time there just being an overnight. I'm going over christmas and I don't think I want to stay in the Millennium although the location/view on the river is nice.

There's a hilton in Sukhumvit and then there is the Conrad. I think this boils down to location as I don't hear horrible things about either. It's about 15 mins transit between the two, not a huge deal. Advise? Experience at either property would be appreciated. Punching my Conrad card might be fun, Conrads can be fun, they take care of diamonds, but I think location is more important this trip.

I was there for a few weeks over the summer. The Conrad is a bit closer to the luxury malls and other tourist things. The Hilton is farther to the east. Conrad has a better location.

If you aren't married to Hilton, the Centre Point and Muse, both on on Luang Suan, are good value.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Midjack posted:

I was there for a few weeks over the summer. The Conrad is a bit closer to the luxury malls and other tourist things. The Hilton is farther to the east. Conrad has a better location.

If you aren't married to Hilton, the Centre Point and Muse, both on on Luang Suan, are good value.

Pretty married to Hilton. I was going to cross over to Marriot this year but woops, lol, looks like I'm gonna make diamond another year. I thought I was going to miss by a diamond 12+ nights now all of a sudden, I'm gonna squeak in and then some.

Booked the Conrad. Looks like a lot of action to the south especially. Funny, i thought the more easterly hotel was the best bet.

Still open to advise. I pulled the trigger because it's christmas and i don't want miss out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AgrippaNothing posted:

Pretty married to Hilton. I was going to cross over to Marriot this year but woops, lol, looks like I'm gonna make diamond another year. I thought I was going to miss by a diamond 12+ nights now all of a sudden, I'm gonna squeak in and then some.

Booked the Conrad. Looks like a lot of action to the south especially. Funny, i thought the more easterly hotel was the best bet.

Still open to advise. I pulled the trigger because it's christmas and i don't want miss out.

I kind of felt like the area around the Hilton was into the lovely bar zone and sidewalks you couldn't walk down with all the hawkers (I know, "lol Bangkok" but you know what I mean) whereas the area around the Conrad had somewhat less of that bullshit. Thing that struck me most about Bangkok is there's no peace anywhere in that town - outside is filled with traffic noise; indoors will be loud rear end music and/or fans and air conditioning running at full bore. I like the place, but it gets old after a while.

Public transportation is the way to go - subway and skyway. Traffic is super terrible and it can take you an hour to go three blocks in the worst of it. Public transportation is very crowded at rush hour, though, so be ready for that.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Midjack posted:

I kind of felt like the area around the Hilton was into the lovely bar zone and sidewalks you couldn't walk down with all the hawkers (I know, "lol Bangkok" but you know what I mean) whereas the area around the Conrad had somewhat less of that bullshit. Thing that struck me most about Bangkok is there's no peace anywhere in that town - outside is filled with traffic noise; indoors will be loud rear end music and/or fans and air conditioning running at full bore. I like the place, but it gets old after a while.

Public transportation is the way to go - subway and skyway. Traffic is super terrible and it can take you an hour to go three blocks in the worst of it. Public transportation is very crowded at rush hour, though, so be ready for that.

Thanks for the tips. I know what you mean about the noise. Wandering Manila + Jetlag = Misery. If it's not the heat and constant noise it's the whiff sewer gas coming from the toliets.

Luckily I'll be in the Conrad, an oasis to escape. Any fun must sees with convenient transport? How's crime in the area? Uber worked back and forth to the airport but I guess I'll try and avoid that in the city.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

To be fair, the area around the Hilton/Doubletree on Sukhumvit is a cake walk compared to KSR :yayclod:

AgrippaNothing posted:

Thanks for the tips. I know what you mean about the noise. Wandering Manila + Jetlag = Misery. If it's not the heat and constant noise it's the whiff sewer gas coming from the toliets.

Luckily I'll be in the Conrad, an oasis to escape. Any fun must sees with convenient transport? How's crime in the area? Uber worked back and forth to the airport but I guess I'll try and avoid that in the city.

Take a cab from the airport so that you're not stressing about unfamiliar territory. Obviously ignore everyone offering you a ride. There's a stand where someone bilingual will write down your destination on a slip then hand it to the driver, that way there's no misunderstanding. Have small bills ready to go to pay for the tolls, meaning after you withdraw money, find a 7/11 and break a 1k thb bill by buying a bottle of water or something else cheap.

Uber is just fine in Bangkok if you know exactly where you're going and you don't want to deal with trying to give directions since just about every cab driver I talked to spoke zero English.

The BTS can take you to nearly every interesting thing to do in the city, but I'm not sure that you specified what you want to do? I did enjoy seeing the contrast at Siam Paragon between ultra posh bougie luxury goods and the cheap as hell food in the food court.

e: Plus I found the prices not to be hugely marked up compared to street food, yet your food's coming from a clean kitchen.

air- fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 3, 2015

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

air- posted:

To be fair, the area around the Hilton/Doubletree on Sukhumvit is a cake walk compared to KSR :yayclod:

Take a cab from the airport so that you're not stressing about unfamiliar territory. Obviously ignore everyone offering you a ride. There's a stand where someone bilingual will write down your destination on a slip then hand it to the driver, that way there's no misunderstanding. Have small bills ready to go to pay for the tolls, meaning after you withdraw money, find a 7/11 and break a 1k thb bill by buying a bottle of water or something else cheap.

Uber is just fine in Bangkok if you know exactly where you're going and you don't want to deal with trying to give directions since just about every cab driver I talked to spoke zero English.

The BTS can take you to nearly every interesting thing to do in the city, but I'm not sure that you specified what you want to do? I did enjoy seeing the contrast at Siam Paragon between ultra posh bougie luxury goods and the cheap as hell food in the food court.

e: Plus I found the prices not to be hugely marked up compared to street food, yet your food's coming from a clean kitchen.

Yeah, I overnighted there on the way from MNL to DPS, Uber worked just fine. I was more concerned about traffic snags so skyway subway is better?

Things to do? A river tour/dinner cruise? Temple? Someplace to pic up a nice piece of art memento (max 300-500USD). Gardens? Bonus if anyone knows a non seedy gay bar to meet locals and where I'm not going to get solicited exclusively. I'm handsome, just under forty, and as you know, I dress well. I can have fun without shelling out dollars.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

AgrippaNothing posted:

Yeah, I overnighted there on the way from MNL to DPS, Uber worked just fine. I was more concerned about traffic snags so skyway subway is better?

Things to do? A river tour/dinner cruise? Temple? Someplace to pic up a nice piece of art memento (max 300-500USD). Gardens? Bonus if anyone knows a non seedy gay bar to meet locals and where I'm not going to get solicited exclusively. I'm handsome, just under forty, and as you know, I dress well. I can have fun without shelling out dollars.

Wat Pho, Grand Palace. Google em.

Get a massage. Signs posted up front mean it's not a happy ending type place, but you'll know real fast if you run into one that is.

Chatuchak weekend market or anything else similar.

You'll totally love Siam Paragon. You should even go see a movie there.

Plenty of options for bars with a nice view if you're into that.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
I've asked at the bad travel forums but figure I should ask here. I have a 6 hour stay at the SIN transit hotel that is airside in T1. I fly into T1 from Delta at midnight and leave T1 on AirAsia at 7AM. I know if I leave customs I'm hosed because I can't check my bag in till a few hours before takeoff. Can I leave my bag for 4-5 hours before picking it up and re-checking it or am I asking for it to be lost and/or getting anal probed by the chewing gum police?

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Arzakon posted:

I've asked at the bad travel forums but figure I should ask here. I have a 6 hour stay at the SIN transit hotel that is airside in T1. I fly into T1 from Delta at midnight and leave T1 on AirAsia at 7AM. I know if I leave customs I'm hosed because I can't check my bag in till a few hours before takeoff. Can I leave my bag for 4-5 hours before picking it up and re-checking it or am I asking for it to be lost and/or getting anal probed by the chewing gum police?

Check your bag through to your final destination?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

air- posted:

Wat Pho, Grand Palace. Google em.

Get a massage. Signs posted up front mean it's not a happy ending type place, but you'll know real fast if you run into one that is.

Chatuchak weekend market or anything else similar.

You'll totally love Siam Paragon. You should even go see a movie there.

Plenty of options for bars with a nice view if you're into that.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe restart the loner christmas tradition of seeing a movie on Christmas day.

I snagged a TG F ticket on the return BKK-NRT. Will be nice to have the Royal First ground experience, tho I know not to expect to much from TG in air dining or service. I'm sure it will be better than their soft product in biz but I was pretty unimpressed in my handful of TG J experiences. Otherwise it's ANA all the way in J.. mmmmm ANA biz service.

UA's new website continues to be a pain in all ways. The old website had some quirks now and then award booking was generally ok. Now they give you the Y J C catagories but they do dumb things like stick you in J on a full C catagory when that leg is available in C when booked separately. They've been launching this site for the last 2 years and it is so bad.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

ufsteph posted:

Check your bag through to your final destination?

Was going to ask Delta if they can, but didn't get the impression that was a thing.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arzakon posted:

Was going to ask Delta if they can, but didn't get the impression that was a thing.

Are you on separate tickets or all on the same itinerary? I don't believe Delta interlines to other carriers when you're on separate tickets, though reports of it working do exist. It's really up to the agent that you deal with upon check in. If you're on a single ticket, they should check it to your final destination.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Are you on separate tickets or all on the same itinerary? I don't believe Delta interlines to other carriers when you're on separate tickets, though reports of it working do exist. It's really up to the agent that you deal with upon check in. If you're on a single ticket, they should check it to your final destination.

I had to do two separate tickets for BKK-NRT-SEA with TG and NH. How likely is it that I get the feigned confusion (translation; I don't want to do this) from TG about interlining my bags through to SEA?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Would like to get some input regarding Intl ticket prices, specifically US to HKG. I was checking prices for vacation to HKG from 2/2 to 2/11 and they were holding steady at around $3800-3900 for a business class ticket. I thought there might be sales around black friday/cyber monday so I waited to see what would happen. This Tuesday, both United and American went up $800 to around $4600 for a rt ticket. Delta is way more. I know it is impossible to know, but is there any hope of these prices dropping back down? I would fly from TPA. I was not really considering UA unless the prices were way lower. I really wanted to go on the American flight since the 77W seems to be the best way to get there for me (time wise and I wanted to try a -300ER). Right now, there are only 12 of the 52 business class seats taken. Do you think there is any hope of prices falling or am I hosed?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I doubt prices will fall since yield is already getting up around 70%

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Mackieman posted:

Different airline. Going SEA-NRT-SIN on Delta but SIN-KUL is AirAsia.

I do see they supposedly put a policy in place for not doing it but that it might be not enforced. Here's hoping.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I never knew agents can actually hand wave your bags to your destination like that. Thought the bag receipt is tied to your e ticket?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

AgrippaNothing posted:

I had to do two separate tickets for BKK-NRT-SEA with TG and NH. How likely is it that I get the feigned confusion (translation; I don't want to do this) from TG about interlining my bags through to SEA?

I haven't done it with TG personally but both are in Star Alliance so they should take care of it. If you get gruff, I'd ask for a supervisor.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Radiohead71 posted:

Would like to get some input regarding Intl ticket prices, specifically US to HKG. I was checking prices for vacation to HKG from 2/2 to 2/11 and they were holding steady at around $3800-3900 for a business class ticket. I thought there might be sales around black friday/cyber monday so I waited to see what would happen. This Tuesday, both United and American went up $800 to around $4600 for a rt ticket. Delta is way more. I know it is impossible to know, but is there any hope of these prices dropping back down? I would fly from TPA. I was not really considering UA unless the prices were way lower. I really wanted to go on the American flight since the 77W seems to be the best way to get there for me (time wise and I wanted to try a -300ER). Right now, there are only 12 of the 52 business class seats taken. Do you think there is any hope of prices falling or am I hosed?

No mere mortal knows the dark art of revenue management.

I regularly see J fares to Asia in the $3000 range if you're booking far enough out (which you're not). Were I you, I'd look into secondary Asian gateways (HND, TPE, ICN, PEK, PVG, etc) and see if you can get a cheap asian LCC fare into HKG itself.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arzakon posted:

Different airline. Going SEA-NRT-SIN on Delta but SIN-KUL is AirAsia.

I do see they supposedly put a policy in place for not doing it but that it might be not enforced. Here's hoping.

Different airline doesn't necessarily mean different ticket. I have a ticket in January that is plated on 016 stock (United) but has Air China, Lufthansa, and TAP Portugal segments on it. If it's on the same ticket, chances are high that the baggage interline will work if you get a good agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

caberham posted:

I never knew agents can actually hand wave your bags to your destination like that. Thought the bag receipt is tied to your e ticket?

They add the segments from the other carrier(s) to your ticket with them so the system knows where to pass the bag. Baggage doesn't have a flight coupon attached so it's an easier thing to do.