Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Do not Twiddle kids,
It's no good Twiddlin' kids...

Anyway, I posited a question in the Eternal thread that might be better off here in the main thread: we all know the Power 9, but what do you think would be included in the B-list Power 9? What are the next nine most powerful cards in the game (assuming that Timetwister is as good as the rest of the Power 9)? We were thinking stuff like Sol Ring, Time Vault, Demonic Tutor, Yawgmoth's Will, maybe Tinker, etc.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

Anyway, I posited a question in the Eternal thread that might be better off here in the main thread: we all know the Power 9, but what do you think would be included in the B-list Power 9? What are the next nine most powerful cards in the game (assuming that Timetwister is as good as the rest of the Power 9)? We were thinking stuff like Sol Ring, Time Vault, Demonic Tutor, Yawgmoth's Will, maybe Tinker, etc.

Sol Ring, Demonic Tutor, Yawg Will, Tinker, Force of Will, Sensei's Top, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Counterbalance, Jitte?

I dunno I just looked at what's placed in Miracles and then some other inherently broken cards.

:shrug:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

C-Euro posted:

Do not Twiddle kids,
It's no good Twiddlin' kids...

It starts here, for sure...

Sol Ring
Tolarian Academy
Mishra's Workshop
Library of Alexandria
Bazaar of Baghdad
Yawgmoth's Will

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
A lot of bellyaching on Reddit about the mythic rarity level, all asserting what it "should" be and how it's awful powerful cards get printed there. Or weak cards.

It got me thinking about the chances of getting a given Mythic in a pack. In a large set I figure it's a 1/8 to get a mythic at all and then 1/15 for a given mythic, so 1/120.

For the chance of a given rare, firstly it's 7/8 of not getting a mythic, then 1/52 or 7/371 of a given rare, giving 7/2968 or 1/424.

I must have a made a mistake, right? What have I missed, or are you actually more likely to open Gideon than Prism Array?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Sol Ring, Demonic Tutor, Yawg Will, Tinker, Force of Will, Sensei's Top, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Counterbalance, Jitte?

I dunno I just looked at what's placed in Miracles and then some other inherently broken cards.

:shrug:

Sol Ring, Demonic Tutor, Time Vault, Tinker, Will, Necro (or Grizz), Jace... And I'm missing two. Top and BBE?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It starts here, for sure...

Sol Ring
Tolarian Academy
Mishra's Workshop
Library of Alexandria
Bazaar of Baghdad
Yawgmoth's Will

To this I'd add

Necropotence
Grizzlebrand
Jace, the Mind Sculptor

and be pretty happy with the entire list. Power 9 aren't necessarily cards that are just "good", it's cards that, when resolved, up your win chance by like 50%. I don't think that demonic tutor does that on its own, and neither does tinker - if that was the case, crop rotation would also be on there.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Serperoth posted:

Someone posted this on Tumblr yesterday.

It isn't perfect, but dang, I wish I'd done this first.

owns

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Are we being nerds about lines of texts now?

Obviously this guy needs a reprint.

(I actually have him in my Peasant cube. Along with Stop That)

little munchkin posted:

Processing the two abilities, the thing the card actually does, the 4 possible mana costs, and the different effect you get from each mode is a lot of mental energy to spend on a single card. After all that you still need to put it all together and evaluate whether the card is good or not. Doing that 14 times seems exhausting. I agree the design is great though.

I never really understood the whole problem with complexity until someone I was drafting with said to me "do you ever just not play a card because it's got too many words and can't figure out what it does?". I asked what card it was and said I could probably explain it to them. She showed me Abbot of Keral Keep and I was like oh that card is a bomb you should definitely play it.
Experienced players really underestimate how complex this game is to someone just learning it. Experienced players have a tendency to look at a single card in isolation and say "Well it's not hard to figure out what that does if you just read it", but they forget the context of having to do that for every card in the pack at once, which can be overwhelming

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

I think that if Sol Ring hadn't be reprinted in Revised, either we'd be calling it the Power 10 now, or Sol Ring would take the place of Timetwister.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

BizarroAzrael posted:

A lot of bellyaching on Reddit about the mythic rarity level, all asserting what it "should" be and how it's awful powerful cards get printed there. Or weak cards.

It got me thinking about the chances of getting a given Mythic in a pack. In a large set I figure it's a 1/8 to get a mythic at all and then 1/15 for a given mythic, so 1/120.

For the chance of a given rare, firstly it's 7/8 of not getting a mythic, then 1/52 or 7/371 of a given rare, giving 7/2968 or 1/424.

I must have a made a mistake, right? What have I missed, or are you actually more likely to open Gideon than Prism Array?

Mythics dont replace rares, they replace commons.

Also 52 * 7 = 364

Also 7/8 * 7/371 = 49/2968

It's basically just 1/120 vs 1/52

Edit: 7/8 * 1 / 52 = 7 / 416 about 1/60.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 3, 2015

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Molybdenum posted:

Wat

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Molybdenum posted:

Also 52 * 7 = 364

Also 7/8 * 7/371 = 49/2968

It's basically just 1/120 vs 1/52

Mythics replace the rare.

It's foils that replace a common.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

I think that if Sol Ring hadn't be reprinted in Revised, either we'd be calling it the Power 10 now, or Sol Ring would take the place of Timetwister.

Sol Ring was an uncommon

Fastbond should definitely be in there

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Thanks :3: was quite surprised to get one. Been a good month or so, what with this and making L2

My main issue is working out what the hell to do with 8 recognitions a wave now :psyduck:

Recognise me! :P

I also got one this wave, and have had a couple store owners tell me it's been well deserved.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
For real? My bad,I haven't opened a pack since khans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Attorney at Funk posted:

No great loss.

I've always found him to be a nice guy. It's unfortunate.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When I first got back into it I remember thinking Foils were an extra card in the pack.

In Innistrad and Dark Ascension, you could actually get 3 rares in a pack (or even 3 mythics), because the rare, foil and DFC slots could all be rare.

I remember at the pre-release I had a pack with Garruk, foil Curse of Death's Hold, and some other rare.
I'm sure someone somewhere opened like Lili, Foil Geist, Garruk Relentless in the same pack.

Maybe Time Spiral too with the extra timeshifted sheet? I wasn't playing then so I'm not sure how that one worked.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

To this I'd add

Necropotence
Grizzlebrand
Jace, the Mind Sculptor

and be pretty happy with the entire list. Power 9 aren't necessarily cards that are just "good", it's cards that, when resolved, up your win chance by like 50%. I don't think that demonic tutor does that on its own, and neither does tinker - if that was the case, crop rotation would also be on there.

I think

Necropotence
Time Vault

But not Griselbrand or Jace.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

I've always found him to be a nice guy. It's unfortunate.

Who are we talking about?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Who are we talking about?

Fabiano.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Fabiano.

Interesting. I've had several local friends play against him in GP's and at Tales of Adventure (SCG states) and they all said he's a scummy player. Mind that my one friend Mike has beat him twice (modern format both times) and said that he was a jerk. I'll try to get specifics from him, I can't remember exactly but Mike said at GP Charlotte he faced G.Fab like round 5-7 and something happened.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 3, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Interesting. I've had several local friends play against him in GP's and at Tales of Adventure (SCG states) and they all said he's a scummy player.

I've heard that too but I've played against him a bunch and he's always been nice to me. I'm sure he's been scummy to others though.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mcmagic posted:

Fabiano.

He is a huge backseat judge and every event I've ever judged with him in it has involved at least one instance of his "help" on a call that took place near his table. I believe the foil story 100%.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
maybe he needs to stop bullying the judges

in rap form

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

He is a huge backseat judge and every event I've ever judged with him in it has involved at least one instance of his "help" on a call that took place near his table. I believe the foil story 100%.

I believe it as well.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I think

Necropotence
Time Vault

But not Griselbrand or Jace.

Time Vault, depending on which ruling you're going on, has been between worthless and only good w/ key.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Is that the "Judge my opponent's card's are marked." "Here let me prove it; see how mine are marked his are exactly the same oh wait."

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

BizarroAzrael posted:

First, that's not how math works. Second, the easiest way to calculate it is to look at how they are printed on the sheet. You are twice as likely to get a given rare over a given mythic because each rare is on the sheet twice, and each mythic once.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

jassi007 posted:

Interesting. I've had several local friends play against him in GP's and at Tales of Adventure (SCG states) and they all said he's a scummy player. Mind that my one friend Mike has beat him twice (modern format both times) and said that he was a jerk. I'll try to get specifics from him, I can't remember exactly but Mike said at GP Charlotte he faced G.Fab like round 5-7 and something happened.

Do you live in Central PA?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

Time Vault, depending on which ruling you're going on, has been between worthless and only good w/ key.

I mean, there's only its current ruling. Nothing else matters.

And it's a staple of Vintage play for a reason.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Do you live in Central PA?

Yes. Altoona.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

jassi007 posted:

Yes. Altoona.

I never have made it to ToA. I guess it's 2 hours away from you but have you ever been to the Adventurer's Guild in Harrisburg? There is also a new shop that opened a couple months ago in Leymone/Camp Hill called Savepoint but I guess that's a hike for you. We're on opposite ends.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
They loving suspended Fabiano.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

always be closing posted:

I will riftsweeper him into the LIBRARY then you can HOUR OF NEED him.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Because he opened his big dumb mouth and tried to prove how his opponent may have been cheating by demonstrating the cheat with his own deck. It got him a DQ and presumably an investigation.

:bravo:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Never has Gerrard's Verdict been stronger in legacy

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Never has Gerrard's Verdict been stronger in legacy

Can anyone post the whole story? I just saw some discussion on twittah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Can anyone post the whole story? I just saw some discussion on twittah.

Gerrard brought up to a judge how one players foils in their deck could've been used to cheat by showing them his own foils in his deck at the tournament

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Dr. Stab posted:

First, that's not how math works. Second, the easiest way to calculate it is to look at how they are printed on the sheet. You are twice as likely to get a given rare over a given mythic because each rare is on the sheet twice, and each mythic once.

That's right. In Battle for Zendikar, there are 53 different rares and 15 mythics. The chance of getting a specific rare is 2/121, and the chance of getting a specific mythic is 1/121.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gerrard brought up to a judge how one players foils in their deck could've been used to cheat by showing them his own foils in his deck at the tournament

Did he actually say "Look, I can see where the foils are in my deck and intentionally cut to them"? That's pretty ridiculous.

• Locked thread