Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Jared592 posted:

Those rotor-to-hub screws are fun, eh? I broke an HF impact driver on the last job I dealt with them on, then was able to chisel one out going at it sideways, then had to drill out the other.

The ones you linked would be even better with a hex shank for you to stick a box-end on to do your own slight rotation when hitting on them.

IIRC mine actually have a hex shank.

They suck, but if you get em hot with a mini MAPP torch and then hammer a demo driver into them with a BFH (only 1-2 swings with a 3lb were needed) they spin right out. The heat detempers the metal and the hammer actually stretches the head, releasing the preload on the threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

IIRC mine actually have a hex shank.

They suck, but if you get em hot with a mini MAPP torch and then hammer a demo driver into them with a BFH (only 1-2 swings with a 3lb were needed) they spin right out. The heat detempers the metal and the hammer actually stretches the head, releasing the preload on the threads.

I would expect better of you young man, 3lb is small-to-medium FH :colbert:

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

SouthsideSaint posted:

Basically is it as well built as the rest?
Yes

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone know about Allen brand tools, not their hex wrenches, like ratchets and stuff-- any good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthsideSaint posted:

How do you like the top box? I have the lower and locker at work and they are great. I have my old craftsman top piece on it and it only covers the half which gives a nice small writing /work surface. But with how many tools I have in really debating on getting it. Basically is it as well built as the rest?

Every bit as much. To be honest half the upper drawers go to waste, I have one that's just full of pens, pencils and markers, another full of flashlights. I guess in retrospect I didn't really need it, I just wanted it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Every bit as much. To be honest half the upper drawers go to waste, I have one that's just full of pens, pencils and markers, another full of flashlights. I guess in retrospect I didn't really need it, I just wanted it.

Awesome I need it because most of my drawers are stuffed already. And I feel like it's better looking when the full top is on there. The locker was a wise choice but I often wish I'd have gotten the side drawers just for more storage. But at the same time I like being able to keep my jacket close at work.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
When I encounter rotor retaining screws, I don't even bother with a screwdriver. I get my air hammer and a chisel tip and spin it out like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQk7Pz_vfc

Skip ahead to 3:39.

Works every time.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

PBCrunch posted:

When I encounter rotor retaining screws, I don't even bother with a screwdriver. I get my air hammer and a chisel tip and spin it out like so:

Works every time.
for the lazy who don't want to seek to 3:39.

I like this tip and will be using it when I have to. One look at the retaining screw on my rotors and I thought "well that's gonna fuckin suck."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

I would expect better of you young man, 3lb is small-to-medium FH :colbert:

I call anything bigger than a framing hammer a BFH, basically. So far that covers the range from my 3lb babbys first BFH all the way to the 8lb sawed off sledge. I'm not in good enough shape to one-arm a 16 pounder yet unfortunately.

e: I'm very reluctant to use an air chisel or hammer on anything on the rotating side of a wheel bearing - great way to flatten the rollers and end up doing the wheel bearings 5k miles later. I'd rather give it a few swings with a 3lb than a few hundred strikes with an air chisel.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 3, 2015

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Okay, that sounds good. So where can I find a wooden-handled 16lb sledge? 10 is the best the local shops carry; I'd've preferred a 12.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

wormil posted:

Anyone know about Allen brand tools, not their hex wrenches, like ratchets and stuff-- any good?

I don't know how its supposed to rate, the places we've bought their stuff from aren't known for carrying high quality things.

That said, the flare nut wrenches we bought didn't give us any trouble, and the one inch drive ratchet and breaker bar set is still doing its thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Okay, that sounds good. So where can I find a wooden-handled 16lb sledge? 10 is the best the local shops carry; I'd've preferred a 12.

I've got no idea about a wooden handled one but Home Depot has a fiberglass and plastic handled one.

So far I haven't actually ever needed 16, even 8 will pop a rusted in place tie rod end taper on a 20+ year old dodge fullsize truck out of the knuckle with a single swing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

Come over. :redhammer:

Or keep an eye on craigslist. I haven't seen a wood handle in Home Depot or Lowes in forever.

Check Ace Hardware, they're usually pretty good.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PBCrunch posted:

Works every time.

I had to do this to two screws that had philips heads broken off in them, but the two hammer trick at 1:40 is what got the other 6 screws loosened up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQk7Pz_vfc&t=100s for the lazy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What i need is probably a 40 pound sledge. I've often picked up a large water bottle and thought "if i could get this swinging on the end of a stick, i wouldn't need 30 fuckin blows. "

Right now i'm putting together a 8 lb straight pein on a fiberglass handle. I tried a handle epoxy kit and and wedge but it flew apart on the first test hit against soft wood. This time i've got a softer set epoxy, and i've given the wedge a little more of a tooth with a grinder.

I don't have a name for her yet, but considering i'm now $15 into a "free" sledgehammer, it's probably going to be loving ugly.

like eugine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

thebigcow posted:

I don't know how its supposed to rate, the places we've bought their stuff from aren't known for carrying high quality things.

That said, the flare nut wrenches we bought didn't give us any trouble, and the one inch drive ratchet and breaker bar set is still doing its thing.

Guess I'll find out. My 1/4" ratchet disappeared so I bought an Allen because it is American made and inexpensive. I rarely use a 1/4", don't even have a full set of 1/4" sockets, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

What i need is probably a 40 pound sledge. I've often picked up a large water bottle and thought "if i could get this swinging on the end of a stick, i wouldn't need 30 fuckin blows. "

Right now i'm putting together a 8 lb straight pein on a fiberglass handle. I tried a handle epoxy kit and and wedge but it flew apart on the first test hit against soft wood. This time i've got a softer set epoxy, and i've given the wedge a little more of a tooth with a grinder.

I don't have a name for her yet, but considering i'm now $15 into a "free" sledgehammer, it's probably going to be loving ugly.

like eugine.

Careful with that hammer, Eugene.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
can anyone help me figure out who makes this angled socket? it's fixed at 45 degrees, but does it very well. the guy who showed it to me said this one was some kind of pre-production prototype, and that it was intended for aircraft maintenance work. same guys apparently also designed a 90 degree system as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1koMdJdg60

edit: there are no identifying markings and the part would have been designed/made in north america

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
For stuck set screws I use the hammer end on a air hammer smashing against the screw for a few moments then use a impact driver.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's everyone's favorite model number of cordless Dremel?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Cordless? The corded models are loving useless, I can't imagine how long it would take to cut something with a battery powered rotary "tool".

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

Frank Dillinger posted:

can anyone help me figure out who makes this angled socket? it's fixed at 45 degrees, but does it very well. the guy who showed it to me said this one was some kind of pre-production prototype, and that it was intended for aircraft maintenance work. same guys apparently also designed a 90 degree system as well.

edit: there are no identifying markings and the part would have been designed/made in north america
Looks like Cal Van tools makes them, they call them "Gearless Angle Drive"
http://www.cal-vantools.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=gearless

Also can be found on amazon.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Charlie, we're working on a forge. Gonna have all kinds of fuckin' weird hammers going on soon. :getin:

Powershift posted:

40lb hammer

You need a handle core of two or four pieces of rebar twisted together that run the whole length, come out the top, and are bent back over the sides of the head. Put whatever epoxy/leather/wood you want for a handle around the other end and Bob's your blunt force trauma victim uncle.

Man, now I want to try to make a 40lb cosh dead-blow hammer out of sole leather and lead shot. What the hell would make a good face material though? Banded hardwood or boiled rawhide maybe?

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Frank Dillinger posted:

def. looks like a shop knocked up tool, coulda been anybody with some barstock, a lathe and mill and a few spare hours. cool application of old school tech :3:

e:

Splizwarf posted:

Charlie, we're working on a forge
what size? gas/propane forge, i assume? blown or venturi burners? :getin:

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 4, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Wonderful free poo poo. 12 speed Beddings drill press. Yes the windey uppydowney table handle is a bolt. Yes the windey uppeydowney drill handle is a mess of bad and broken welds and floor anchors. Yes the start cap is hanging loose out back there. Everything else is good and tight and cost nothing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lathespin.gif posted:

def. looks like a shop knocked up tool, coulda been anybody with some barstock, a lathe and mill and a few spare hours. cool application of old school tech :3:

Though I understand the mechanics, it still looks like magic to me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Lathespin.gif posted:

what size? gas/propane forge, i assume? blown or venturi burners? :getin:

Look at all them high-tech words. Eventually coal as West Virginia's not too far away, and charcoal made in-house if I can get my hands on enough hardwood. The hearth is a freestanding treadle-blown dish, like one of those little DIY brake drum forges but bigger. It needs a belt, so right now it's mostly cold work and some oxy/acetylene or MAPP.

I love MAPP now. I got paid for some car work a while ago with a brand new MAPP rig that's a bottle carrier on a belt hook with a 5-foot flexible hose and a clicker tip plus a metal sleeve holster for the hot tip. Under a car, I can hang the bottle from an S-hook on the doorhandle or whatever, it's great. Couple months later and I still get excited about using it. :haw:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

blk posted:

I had a cordless one and it was awful. Could barely even cut some hard plastic to fit larger speakers in a car door. Switched to a corded dremel and it was done in a couple seconds. Stay far away from the cordless ones.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

None of them

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

blk posted:

Milwaukee M12 Rotary Tool

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Recommendations on work gloves? I've been burning through a pair of cheap work gloves every month, and looking for something comfortable and durable. I work in a tire shop, so resistance to thin sharp metal belts is a plus. Quick drying is nice, but I usually toss them under the radiant heater to dry quick every couple hours on wet days.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

PitViper posted:

Recommendations on work gloves? I've been burning through a pair of cheap work gloves every month, and looking for something comfortable and durable. I work in a tire shop, so resistance to thin sharp metal belts is a plus. Quick drying is nice, but I usually toss them under the radiant heater to dry quick every couple hours on wet days.

Actually just saw a good video about gloves this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jMPQh7DTs8

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk posted:

Maybe I should rephrase - I'm going to be cutting some struts soon and want to file down the rough edges without slaving over them with an actual file. What should I use?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

blk posted:

Maybe I should rephrase - I'm going to be cutting some struts soon and want to file down the rough edges without slaving over them with an actual file. What should I use?

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=LXDG01
This thing is boss for cleaning up strut with a burr. And making holes slightly larger because the piece of poo poo work hole saw wandered 1/8" off.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I went to HF to get the 5 drawer tool cart, and naturally I spent like $150 on impact sockets to go along with the ridiculous new 1/2" impact I just bought.

Now I want to go pick up the side drawers for the 44" box and set it on a frame next to the cart like this

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

I actually really like the lithium ion cordless dremel I bought six-seven years ago. Never had a problem with the battery or the unit itself, though it's admittedly only seen light to medium duty work. I see they don't sell that particular model anymore, so I guess it's largely a moot point anyways.

If I were to buy it over again, I'd definitely get the makita die grinder linked earlier since I'm so heavily invested in their ecosystem, and have yet to be disappointed in anything in the cordless line. Heck, most of their cordless is better than my older corded stuff.

Hypnolobster posted:

I went to HF to get the 5 drawer tool cart, and naturally I spent like $150 on impact sockets to go along with the ridiculous new 1/2" impact I just bought.

You also picked up their magnetic paper towel holder and a variety of their magnetic trays as well, right? They're one of those rare things that they do exceptionally well. So well, I swapped out the paper towel holder in the kitchen for one and schlepped it on the fridge

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Fact that cart is decent especially considering the price but I wish you woulda consulted us on the sockets so I could've told you to get Grey Pneumatic. Hf impact sockets are straight up dangerous. Look at yourr 21 mm half inch deep as an example. One side will be thicker than the other.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 5, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoa what? When did HF impacts become bad? They were the go to in this thread for a long time.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Whoa what? When did HF impacts become bad? They were the go to in this thread for a long time.

Ditto, I've always liked mine and been under the impression that was generally regarded as a better buy there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The non pro deep well impacts are garbage. The short pro ones are grey pneumatic level of good. They are also the same impact socket orielly sells. I've had multiple sockets explode. But only the deepwell non pro kind.