Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I think the shop that ordered me my fuel pump has entirely forgotten that they didn't bill me. :iiam:

Liquid Communism posted:

They've learned to start making their position known early and often, because sitting quietly got them the laws that the SCOTUS has been very publicly striking down for the last few years. When the gun control side of things is very, very open about their strategy being incrementalism towards total bans, there's really not much other option than to argue.

100% this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
PSA for those who haven't seen the latest Batman V Superman trailer: don't watch it if you 1.) plan on seeing the movie and 2.) don't want ~5 major points spoiled.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

scuz posted:

PSA for those who haven't seen the latest Batman V Superman trailer: don't watch it if you 1.) plan on seeing the movie and 2.) don't want ~5 major points spoiled.

Thanks for the tip! I can't believe I hadn't gotten around to watching it but I'm definitely going to skip it now.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

No poo poo. I don't know who cut that loving thing, but they need to be sat down in a room and forced to watch all the new Star Wars trailers. Once they're done, ask the person "Ok, what's the plot of that movie? Can't tell me? EXACTLY."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

scuz posted:

gently caress. Too late for me. Wish I saw this.

Also, I will creep on Zilvia.net for a little things here and there. But I want to get some interior parts for my 240, so I'm actually posting on Zilvia for the first time. Forums culture shock is a real thing you guys. I've bought poo poo for years off SA Mart and I got used to how things were handled here. Put up a want to buy thread and I got all these people saying, "text me" with no mention of what they got, no pics. I'm a loving goon, I don't want to be texting these people, I don't know them like that. Do none of these people know how to use imgur? I asked one guy for pictures and his reply was, "you got a number I can send them to". I realize that I'm the fish out of water in this case but still, drat.

literally a fish posted:

I remember from last year :v: i'm a big fan of this one:

Oh god, this is my first time seeing this and its so accurate holy gently caress.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I plan on seeing BvS and I thought the new trailer was fine. What could the plot have been other than "B and S don't like each other, trade quips, stuff happens, a new threat emerges and they have to work together"

The new villain reveal just makes me more pumped.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Coredump posted:

Forums culture shock is a real thing you guys.
I keep finding things on various E30 forums I want to buy then try to get in contact with the people via PM/Email/Text and they never respond or update their thread once the poo poo is sold. I want to give you money, the least you could do is reply and tell me it's sold :argh: I hate other forums.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

I plan on seeing BvS and I thought the new trailer was fine. What could the plot have been other than "B and S don't like each other, trade quips, stuff happens, a new threat emerges and they have to work together"

The new villain reveal just makes me more pumped.
There's just so much in the trailer that spoiled things for me. Proper use of the spoiler tag below:

Revealing Doomsday (or whoever)? Was that even hinted anywhere before this trailer? That robbed me and so many others of the whole "HOLY poo poo IT'S DOOMSDAY" moment in the theaters. In the span of about 10 seconds they not only ruined the WW reveal, but also how Batman survives the first attack, AND THAT THEY ALL KISS AND MAKE UP AT THE END CUZ THEY'RE STANDING RIGHT THERE ALL AVENGERS AND poo poo. Really, Zac Snyder? gently caress.

"Visionary Director Zac Snyder." The first time someone mentioned that, I had to look up "visionary" because I had thought I knew what it meant.

a dictionary posted:

visionary adjective
1. (especially of a person) thinking about or planning the future with imagination or wisdom.
Phew! It is THEM who are wrong.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dunno I think it just spoiled that it will be a good movie.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Tide posted:

Any Atlanta goons mind checking out a car for me? Will gladly PayPal some gas money or whatever. Looks to be northwest Atlanta-ish...between Marietta and Cumming.

Since I FINALLY bought plat yesterday, PM me. If its Cumming, I'll go across the bridge and take a look. If its Alpharetta/Mariettahahahahahahahaha

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

I keep finding things on various E30 forums I want to buy then try to get in contact with the people via PM/Email/Text and they never respond or update their thread once the poo poo is sold. I want to give you money, the least you could do is reply and tell me it's sold :argh: I hate other forums.

I got super lucky and got some door mirrors for my Protege from a seller on Club Protege, they are perfect and there's no way I'd find them in a junk yard, and the guy selling them instantly responded and I had them within a week. Definitely not the norm for forum sellers so I'm happy it worked out. Also the local Miata forum has been really good for getting parts locally, I'm actually going to be picking up a free set of Miata steelies to put on the Protege :)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

scuz posted:

Really, Zac Snyder? gently caress.

Seriously, look at his work, he's made maybe 3 decent films and people expect him to pull glory out of his arse? C'mon now.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

88h88 posted:

he's made maybe 3 decent films

I forgot people actually liked 300, Watchmen, and Dawn of the Dead. Although, I feel that the imdb ratings are based on sperging nerds uniting like the 2nd and 3rd Nolan Batman movies and anything with the name Tolkien attached to it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

literally a fish posted:

They're all "autism spectrum disorders" now, which is a nicer way of saying "we discovered that autism isn't a binary thing, oops, sorry about that", and yes, assburgers is one of the disorders "on the spectrum"

Yeah, that. My daughter is one marker shy of full-bore Aspergers, not they it functionally makes a difference. We still have to have special needs procedures in place with her school, and argue with certain teachers that, no, you can't just treat her like any other child. And this is at a charter school with supposedly better everything. At least it's a STEM school.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

keykey posted:

I forgot people actually liked 300, Watchmen, and Dawn of the Dead.

If I hear there's a big movie coming out based on a book I haven't read I'll avoid the book until I see the movie so I can enjoy the movie on its own merits. I saw Watchmen, thought it was pretty good. Then I read the graphic novel and I just don't get all the hate the movie gets. It follows the source material so closely and I liked how they changed up the ending in the movie. Watchmen was good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Since I FINALLY bought plat yesterday, PM me. If its Cumming, I'll go across the bridge and take a look. If its Alpharetta/Mariettahahahahahahahaha

Eastern Atlanta dude :smith:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

scuz posted:

Why in the gently caress do they insist on doing that poo poo in trailers? Just show some cool poo poo, but not the coolest poo poo, and don't reveal anything major.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

keykey posted:

I forgot people actually liked 300, Watchmen, and Dawn of the Dead. Although, I feel that the imdb ratings are based on sperging nerds uniting like the 2nd and 3rd Nolan Batman movies and anything with the name Tolkien attached to it.

Dawn of the Dead was entertaining if a little poo poo, 300 was the same, Watchmen was 3 hours of torture for me. It's not often I want to switch films off but holy gently caress did that poo poo drag.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

Seriously, look at his work, he's made maybe 3 decent films and people expect him to pull glory out of his arse? C'mon now.
Oh, I don't expect him to do a single good thing ever. To me, Snyder is to directing what Damon Lindelof is to screenwriting.

keykey posted:

300 was okay, but it was pretty hard to gently caress up considering the source material. I did enjoy yelling "McNULTY, NOOOOO!!" in the theater when his character started being a twatastic butthole. Watchmen turned out about as wet-fart as I thought it was going to be, and zombies that run? God. Dammit.. Any stoner could come up with "hay man, ya know what would totally suck? fast zombies, dude! scary!"

Darchangel posted:

Why in the gently caress do they insist on doing that poo poo in trailers? Just show some cool poo poo, but not the coolest poo poo, and don't reveal anything major.
All they had to do to generate buzz was say "BATMAN'S FIGHTIN SUPERMAN!! IDK WHY, JUST COME LOOKIT!!!" and I would been "okay, show me what you got." Don't gotta see it now, it's all the trailer!

scuz fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 3, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

scuz posted:

Oh, I don't expect him to do a single good thing ever. To me, Snyder is to directing what Damon Lindelof is to screenwriting.

300 was okay, but it was pretty hard to gently caress up considering the source material. I did enjoy yelling "McNULTY, NOOOOO!!" in the theater when his character started being a twatastic butthole. Watchmen turned out about as wet-fart as I thought it was going to be, and zombies that run? God. Dammit.. Any stoner could come up with "hay man, ya know what would totally suck? fast zombies, dude! scary!"

All they had to do to generate buzz was say "BATMAN'S FIGHTIN SUPERMAN!! IDK WHY, JUST COME LOOKIT!!!" and I would been "okay, show me what you got." Don't gotta see it now, it's all the trailer!

These are good opinions.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Coredump posted:

If I hear there's a big movie coming out based on a book I haven't read I'll avoid the book until I see the movie so I can enjoy the movie on its own merits. I saw Watchmen, thought it was pretty good. Then I read the graphic novel and I just don't get all the hate the movie gets. It follows the source material so closely and I liked how they changed up the ending in the movie. Watchmen was good.

If there is a book/comic book and there's a movie coming out, I'll typically skip the book portion and go straight to the movie since I have too much other stuff going on to do both. In which case I'm not the target audience anyway.

88h88 posted:

Watchmen was 3 hours of torture for me. It's not often I want to switch films off but holy gently caress did that poo poo drag.

I completely agree, I want those 3 hours of my life and more importantly the price of admission back. The only thing I remember about that movie was when the comedian raped the girl, I thought they were just into kinky stuff to begin with so I let out a slight chuckle.. Then I realized what was happening and in my own head went "ooohh.. she's getting raped.. yeah, that's not cool." By which time it was too late as my wife, her uncle and aunt looked at me and I had to explain that I read the play wrong. I still get poo poo for that, but whatever.. They're all comic book nerds and I was just expecting a fun romp through crime fighter-ville a la Marvel movies. I need to stick to Marvel movies.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 3, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SuperDucky posted:

You're awesome. Pm incoming

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

keykey posted:

dark knight was pretty good, dark knight rises was disappointing. DKR would have been if I could understand a single word bane says in the whole drat movie.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

dark knight was pretty good, dark knight rises was disappointing. DKR would have been if I could understand a single word bane says in the whole drat movie.
The BluRay release was amazing because you can turn on subtitles. DKR was such a loving let-down. If I had my way, it would have followed the Dark Knight Returns arc where everything's fast-forwarded long enough for the Joker to be out of the picture, get a woman to play Robin (I so had my hopes set on that), and have Bruce pass the torch somehow. Whatever, I don't write movies, I just complain about them v:shobon:v

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Zac Snyder is fine. He is what he is, and he makes amazing looking movies. People get all bent out of shape because they always expect him to be something he's not. I can think of far worse people who have been given the keys to the car

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

scuz posted:

The BluRay release was amazing because you can turn on subtitles. DKR was such a loving let-down. If I had my way, it would have followed the Dark Knight Returns arc where everything's fast-forwarded long enough for the Joker to be out of the picture, get a woman to play Robin (I so had my hopes set on that), and have Bruce pass the torch somehow. Whatever, I don't write movies, I just complain about them v:shobon:v

I didn't like DKR because it was kind of boring. Some cool poo poo happened and at first watching in the theater I liked it but I also knew it was one of those movies that I might only rewatch once or twice ever. He didn't really WANT to make that movie either at all or at the time, and you can definitely tell. I liked the Dark Knight but I don't think it was the masterpiece that a lot of people do and IMO the first one is the best of the three.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Zac Snyder is fine. He is what he is, and he makes amazing looking movies. People get all bent out of shape because they always expect him to be something he's not. I can think of far worse people who have been given the keys to the car

This is true, also a director really only as good as the script they've been given. If the script is poo poo, the movie will inevitably be poo poo no matter who the director is.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

I didn't like DKR because it was kind of boring. Some cool poo poo happened and at first watching in the theater I liked it but I also knew it was one of those movies that I might only rewatch once or twice ever. He didn't really WANT to make that movie either at all or at the time, and you can definitely tell. I liked the Dark Knight but I don't think it was the masterpiece that a lot of people do and IMO the first one is the best of the three.
DKR was a chore for everyone, something we all had to do to see what would happen after Heath Ledger's tragic passing. It was a chore when I bought my ticket, it felt like the chore was over when I left the theater. DKR and Inception were such cacophonous monstrosities that by the end my ears were ringing and my brain was exhausted. By contrast, Interstellar's climax had such an impact because it was done in near silence

The Plinkett reviews talked about the Star Wars movie endings with a multiplication effect on major events, and the Nolan Batman movies are a swell example of how it can get out of hand. First movie's ending had one focus (Death Star assault/microwaving Gotham), second movie had two (the Luke v Vader fight & Han getting Fett'd/Joker v Batman & Two-Face v Gordon), and the third movie had 3 (Luke v Vader-Emperor, Endor assault, & Death Star 2/Batman v Bane, Police v Banelings, & trying to stop a nuke). Too much poo poo going on at the end of the movie forces you to just hang on and maybe once the ride's over you can figure out what the gently caress just happened. More often than not in those cases, what the gently caress just happened turns out to be a titanic mess.

keykey posted:

This is true, also a director really only as good as the script they've been given. If the script is poo poo, the movie will inevitably be poo poo no matter who the director is.
Many directors are given veto power over scripts or the ability to chose their scripts/scriptwriters. While I agree that in certain cases, some directors are doomed from the words "my script is done," I also believe that a good director can take a script that's okay and make very different and important movies. My favorite example of this is the Drive movie. Put that script in the hands of like Michael Bay and it would be completely different than what Refn was able to do. Some people hate Drive, but a LOT of people love it. Pacing, tone, camera work, these are all very important things that a script can be bent to in order to make a movie make more sense.

scuz fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 3, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Inception is a great movie, how dare you lump it in with DKR

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

scuz posted:

"okay, show me what you got."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nodoze posted:

Yeah at the very least Inception was a ridiculous concept and an entertaining spectacle. DKR was just insultingly stupid in places and for the most part pretty tedious.

DISQUALIFIED!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol some of you guys analyze movies way too much

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

leica posted:

My analysis is pretty much: Did I enjoy that? If yes, film is good. If not, film is bad.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

Inception took a really big swing with a lot of practical effects and a fun idea, and I respect that. The movie was very enjoyable and I watched it a bunch more times, but at the end of the day, it's 2 and a half hours of people on screen explaining to people watching what the hell's going on.
I LIKE WHAT YOU GOHHHT

leica posted:

88h88 posted:

My analysis is pretty much: Did I enjoy that? If yes, film is good. If not, film is bad.
I just like movies and story-telling :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

scuz posted:

Inception took a really big swing with a lot of practical effects and a fun idea, and I respect that. The movie was very enjoyable and I watched it a bunch more times, but at the end of the day, it's 2 and a half hours of people on screen explaining to people watching what the hell's going on.

Because the average person is an idiot and can't understand things :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Am I in the wrong thread? We're talking about the loving BvS trailer in here too?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Am I in the wrong thread? We're talking about the loving BvS trailer in here too?

No Zak Snyder.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

leica posted:

I got super lucky and got some door mirrors for my Protege from a seller on Club Protege, they are perfect and there's no way I'd find them in a junk yard, and the guy selling them instantly responded and I had them within a week. Definitely not the norm for forum sellers so I'm happy it worked out. Also the local Miata forum has been really good for getting parts locally, I'm actually going to be picking up a free set of Miata steelies to put on the Protege :)
I did have really good luck buying parts on VWvortex of all places last year when I was piecing together the rear brakes for the 320i and some random Volvo forum for the fronts. Was able to find all the parts needed and have paypal sent within about 30 minutes for everything. Then everything showed up well packaged and exactly as described or better in the case of the Volvo calipers.

88h88 posted:

This is my feeling on movies. If I didn't hate it I'm probably happy with my purchase and don't mind the time spent. poo poo I got drug to the latest Hunger Games movie last week, sure it isn't a great movie by any means but it wasn't torture to watch so I didn't mind.

I feel like I'm really missing out by never seeing this show.

Was planning on going to a concert tonight then working from home tomorrow since the thing doesn't even start until 9pm. Suddenly the junk that's been sitting in storage since early October needs to be installed by the end of the week. Guess no concert for me.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

Was planning on going to a concert tonight then working from home tomorrow since the thing doesn't even start until 9pm. Suddenly the junk that's been sitting in storage since early October needs to be installed by the end of the week. Guess no concert for me.

Wait, I want to hear this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

I feel like I'm really missing out by never seeing this show.

Rick and Morty is a really good show, it pretty much runs the full gamut from stupid humour right through to some seriously dark, thought-provoking themes. If you don't like it then you don't like it but you should at least watch a few episodes to see.

• Locked thread