Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008
Hey guys, I'm seeing a lot of article opportunities on Upwork but they are all just offering 80 cents per 100 words. Is this a huge ripoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

That's godawful. My make-work filler job is writing 200 word pieces for like $7.50 a pop; I used to work for Demand at 500 words for $25.00 until they dried up. Four bucks for a 500 word article is insanely low.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

thegoonofaudio posted:

Hey guys, I'm seeing a lot of article opportunities on Upwork but they are all just offering 80 cents per 100 words. Is this a huge ripoff?

As Kaz said that's a pretty atrocious rate. WritersDomain, as an example, offers $15/$18 (depending on your score) for 400 words. My general rule of thumb is I don't want to do anything for less than about five cents a word, and even that is kind of low (but hey, beggers can't be choosers)

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
I got signed up and approved for textbroker way faster than I expected; took like four days. Tried to take that proofreading test, but only got 70%. Dang man that stuff is strict.

I'm noticing that a lot of the ads are incredibly vague, like some just ask for "tips for online gamers." It's pretty clearly just asking me to work in some SEO type bullshit, but it's still incredibly vague. Anyone have experience with stuff like that, know what sort of thing they want? Or is it wiser to just skip it and wait for a better worded assignment?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Lemma posted:

I got signed up and approved for textbroker way faster than I expected; took like four days. Tried to take that proofreading test, but only got 70%. Dang man that stuff is strict.

I'm noticing that a lot of the ads are incredibly vague, like some just ask for "tips for online gamers." It's pretty clearly just asking me to work in some SEO type bullshit, but it's still incredibly vague. Anyone have experience with stuff like that, know what sort of thing they want? Or is it wiser to just skip it and wait for a better worded assignment?

When you're first starting out it's easy to accidentally nuke your ranking and get hosed, so I'd be selective with what you pick up. Either that or be ready to drop at the first revision if you think the client might reject your post.

I was picky as hell with what I did when I was still stuck on the platform.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Nighthand posted:

When you're first starting out it's easy to accidentally nuke your ranking and get hosed, so I'd be selective with what you pick up. Either that or be ready to drop at the first revision if you think the client might reject your post.

I was picky as hell with what I did when I was still stuck on the platform.

OK, good to know. I'm actually having some fun with this, already turned in 3 things, one of which has been approved, so. Looking good so far. I just got paid to describe a batman shirt. From this day forward I am literally a hack writer, neat.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Learn to enjoy the monkey-bang-on-keyboard level stuff, because being a freelancer throws all kinds of weird poo poo at you. Sure, I've written shitbox movie reviews for Yahoo, transcribed a dude taking a piss on a dating show, and recorded a mother's tale of having her three-year-old pageant daughter spray-tanned at her husband's auto detailing shop. But I've also gotten to spend a particularly intense pre-dawn hearing a man break down over trying to explain why he and his comrades shot children at My Lai, heard Sidney Poitier talk with his goddaughter about life and death and philosophy, and gotten to practice reading microexpressions on actual murderers desperately pleading their alibis. And occasionally I get paid an astonishing amount of money to watch TV shows that I would watch anyway. :)

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone else's Daily Transcription test taking a long time to get reviewed? I completed it on Saturday and I know it wasn't fail-worthy for them since I worked there before.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Anyone else's Daily Transcription test taking a long time to get reviewed? I completed it on Saturday and I know it wasn't fail-worthy for them since I worked there before.

I had to email HR before I finally got an answer. I think they say to wait two weeks, then bug them if you haven't gotten a reply yet.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

Jake Snake posted:

I had to email HR before I finally got an answer. I think they say to wait two weeks, then bug them if you haven't gotten a reply yet.

They must be reading this thread because I just got the "we're busy, lots of tests" email the minute I made the above post.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

They must be reading this thread because I just got the "we're busy, lots of tests" email the minute I made the above post.

Oh god was a terrifying thought.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Well then, Amy cut it out with the color coded emails. It just adds a step for us to do.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Closed now thanks!

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 5, 2016

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have a few Facebook friends I'm probably sending your way, I'm telling them to say Nighthand referred them. Thanks for the opportunity, I've been keeping an eye out for fresh freelancing stuff outside of transcription and writing for these folks.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hey transcribers, if anyone is looking for work, one of my clients is desperate for new bodies. Anyone with some experience please drop me a line, slightlyusedcake at gmail.com and I'll give you the contact info, thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and also anyone with voice work experience as well. I know they pay well for transcription and translation services. I don't know on the voice side of things.

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 23, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
gently caress everyone who records poo poo with a $5 microphone forever.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

Shima Honnou posted:

gently caress everyone who records poo poo with a $5 microphone forever.

Also that $5 microphone is placed in a room with three people all talking over each other.

Half way done. :suicide:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jake Snake posted:

Also that $5 microphone is placed in a room with three people all talking over each other.

Half way done. :suicide:
Uhmmhn, I, hmm, am forced to, hmuhmnnhn, to agree that that's an, err-uhhm-hhnnhhhphf, undesirable job.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Signed up for WriterAccess and grabbed a job that seemed interesting at 3 stars. Ended up realizing that the instructions were way too vague to actually write what they wanted. Put in a message to see if I could narrow it down and was met with a super bad grammar response telling me I just didn't get it.

Unreserve and move on I guess. Good first impression!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I checked the OP but didn't see anything - anyone use freelancer.com? I was initially interested based on the jobs that match my skillset in the list but the jury's kinda still out now that I have spent a bit of time on their site. Any comments on using them?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I checked the OP but didn't see anything - anyone use freelancer.com? I was initially interested based on the jobs that match my skillset in the list but the jury's kinda still out now that I have spent a bit of time on their site. Any comments on using them?

Unless I am getting my websites confused, freelancer is a problem because you have to compete with folks from India and Pakistan who are willing to work for like $4/hour

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's slightly less of an issue for the gigs I'm after (I hope) which are technical design things with (usually) physical deliverables - like electronic design and manufacture. I have still noticed like the same few Indian guys bidding on every single posting though :haw:

Jury's a bit out on them since their system doesn't seem geared to that kind of job. I mean step 1 is to bid on the job but for nearly every single one I'm like "Uh I have some very important and basic questions I need answered before I can make even a ballpark bid" but there's no apparent way to ask questions of the job poster. I'm either missing something or they're kind of half cocked :shrug:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
In case anyone cares the MO there is apparently to place a bid based only on the info in the posting. Then after that you can open a dialogue or w/e with the job poster for the nitty gritty and if a mutually agreeable solution escapes yall then you can just back out of the bid.

Seems like a way for job posters to get bids asap but not so much for not wasting anyone's time but I'll give it a shot maybe.

Btw anyone sell poo poo on Amazon? Did the math and selling a 20$ item + 6$ shipping on Amazon nets me like 4 bucks in the end unless I misunderstand their numbers :psyduck:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Btw anyone sell poo poo on Amazon? Did the math and selling a 20$ item + 6$ shipping on Amazon nets me like 4 bucks in the end unless I misunderstand their numbers :psyduck:

No, I keep up on the reddit.com/r/flipping forum though and think about doing it. I think there is also a subreddit just for FBA selling (where you send your stuff to Amazon's warehouse and they ship it out for you.)

Motivational Subwoofer
Jun 30, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Sinewave posted:

I sell used books and the occasional new item through FBA. Haven't put a ton of effort into it, but I'm on track to profit about $700 (after fees, shipping to Amazon, and cost of inventory) for the year. That isn't a ton of money, obviously, but since I enjoy browsing book sales and thrift stores and would be doing it anyway, it pretty much feels like free money.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Okay, I'm all set up to go with DT. Does anyone know how to force Express Scribe to use hh:mm:ss:tt format? I'm only seeing hh:mm:ss:t and I figure the former is a common enough timecode format for their not to be a fix for this.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
No, it doesn't do frames. Which is absurd but whatever.

What I do is set up an autohotkey macro to require input before filling out everything else.

So I would like.. press F1 to copy/past time code, wait for me to bang in the frames, then finish the ] if necessary and start a new line with a: or the persons name.

Oh yeah I started using autohotkey the other day after the macros built into my windows keyboard sucked. Made doing that loving weird formatted poker poo poo easy as anything else.

EDIT: Anybody else not got their DT paycheck this week? I have a feeling they took Thursday/Friday/Saturday off and didn't bother.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 3, 2015

Demon Allie
Dec 28, 2006
Space Jellyfish

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Okay, I'm all set up to go with DT. Does anyone know how to force Express Scribe to use hh:mm:ss:tt format? I'm only seeing hh:mm:ss:t and I figure the former is a common enough timecode format for their not to be a fix for this.

This is what forced me to switch to InqScribe (which I really don't like but it beats putting them in manually).

I got my check, thylacine, but no work...probably because I've blacklisted Guy Fieri.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I'm surprised more folks don't blacklist my shows. The exception would be the videos we do for that internet search company; just a handful of people tell me not to send 'em. But those housewives scattered across the country? Not a peep. Maybe I am paying too much! :shepspends:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I'm surprised more folks don't blacklist my shows. The exception would be the videos we do for that internet search company; just a handful of people tell me not to send 'em. But those housewives scattered across the country? Not a peep. Maybe I am paying too much! :shepspends:

It takes a lot for me to blackball a show. Gotta be real bad. But I'm sure there'll be more.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I got my check on Monday this week, but a few weeks ago it didn't show until Friday, which had never happened before.

The only show that is on my blacklist is comedians in cars still. I'm really hesitant of any of that .85/min phone interview bullshit too, since sometimes the interview barely speaks English and the interviewee not really at all, but that's not really a show.

I really miss that animal show from a few weeks ago, that production crew was amazingly chill, and every project from them was a rush project. They'd just like hang out with the interviewee and chat about what they should say for a few minutes of non interview, inbetween like every take.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I've got a few from JKL that I've blacklisted by e-mail, but honestly I doubt most of that is running anymore. Probably the biggest one is some racing circuit because something about the motors was loving with me mentally.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

A question for the folks who do writing as an online money maker. My wife is not a U.S. citizen, and has an interest in writing. She has native level English proficiency - in fact she speaks and writes better than most natives. Right now, we do not live in the United States, although I anticipate that in several months to a year, we will and she will have a green card. I noticed that Text Broker states one step is proving U.S. citizenship. I assume they mean work authorization, but I've asked to be sure. Writers Access states they only accept "U.S. based" writers. I've also asked them for clarification. I'm wondering if anyone else is able to do content writing as a non-U.S.-citizen living outside the U.S., and which sites you used for that.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Considering there's a whole load of competition with Indians, I'd imagine there are some places that do both text-based money making and accept anyone globally, just be aware that you'll be competing with people who will do an article for like 5 cents or whatever.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Lol well I'm not currently working but I'm still on focus forward's list and they just sent out an email asking for availability with 36 exclamation points...so that's a thing.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

marchantia posted:

Lol well I'm not currently working but I'm still on focus forward's list and they just sent out an email asking for availability with 36 exclamation points...so that's a thing.

hahahaha

Every exclamation point stands for a volume commitment they shouldn't have taken on. Or maybe each one stands for a new hire in the months leading up to this frantic moment.

VVVVV I think you're 100% right, actually :lol:

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 4, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Exclamation points are def. volume commitment.

Demon Allie
Dec 28, 2006
Space Jellyfish

It's the first time I've had to blacklist anything. For just a little more I would have suffered through it but the rate was bringing my average down and the content made me feel greasy. It was as if I had walked through the living room of middle America and been soaked in a mist of chauvinistic spittle expelled by a pompous hipster. Too many horrible people all at once. :gonk:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

A question for the folks who do writing as an online money maker. My wife is not a U.S. citizen, and has an interest in writing. She has native level English proficiency - in fact she speaks and writes better than most natives. Right now, we do not live in the United States, although I anticipate that in several months to a year, we will and she will have a green card. I noticed that Text Broker states one step is proving U.S. citizenship. I assume they mean work authorization, but I've asked to be sure. Writers Access states they only accept "U.S. based" writers. I've also asked them for clarification. I'm wondering if anyone else is able to do content writing as a non-U.S.-citizen living outside the U.S., and which sites you used for that.

I'm based in South Africa, and I've had a lot of success with Scripted. They have stricter criteria and require that you specialize in an area before you can write for them. The pay is pretty good, $28 for a 450 word blog post and it's great because you can pitch topics that you're interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Comedians in Cars. Never again.

I don't like those housewives as people, but it's really not the worst thing ever. I would also like every child on Child Genius to lose. I would like them to get to the finale and reveal that there is no prize and they all lose and I will savor their tears.