Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I actually felt kind of bad for Darren, as he was faced with the fact that life was just plain better for his family without him around. But nope! Just a dumb chav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Speaking of spite, *this* is spite.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

I also re-read Fire Inside yesterday and I'm appalled I had forgotten completely that the old lady commits suicide at the end. That's a goddamn allegory on how we treat old folks: forgotten or mostly an after-thought. Just made me realize I haven't talked with my grandfather in several months.

All this time I thought she was another Selkie and was finally going back to the ocean :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I actually felt kind of bad for Darren, as he was faced with the fact that life was just plain better for his family without him around. But nope! Just a dumb chav.

Except the reaction to something like this is very often to internalize the realization and cope with it by fulfilling the role that has been cast for you. He is someone who has no control over their life (prison, then loan shark) and has just discovered he was betrayed by the people closest to him. This reaction is pretty terrible but it could have been a lot worse.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess it's possible that this isn't Darren, you know. It could be the loan shark, or the neighbour with the weird beard (if he's a werewolf).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fangz posted:

I guess it's possible that this isn't Darren, you know. It could be the loan shark, or the neighbour with the weird beard (if he's a werewolf).

Considering "snitch" is written on the wall that seems unlikely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Considering "snitch" is written on the wall that seems unlikely.

Yeah, it is really more like Lottie to snitch on a werewolf.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
can we not find out that darren is just some sort of worthless loser and that the lesson is shauna was *right* and *a good person* for sending him to jail and theres no reason for her to question herself even slightly

dude felt so real at times

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spectres of autism posted:

can we not find out that darren is just some sort of worthless loser and that the lesson is shauna was *right* and *a good person* for sending him to jail and theres no reason for her to question herself even slightly

I doubt that's going to happen. Darren was built up too much to just be dismissed as a worthless punk in the end.

Also his actions at the moment are partially explained by him being drunk as poo poo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Have we figured out what the missing piece is or what the supernatural element in this chapter is yet?

I think the chapter titles usually refer to multiple things , like an overall theme of the chapter, so it might be all the little secrets that are coming out

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 3, 2015

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jackard posted:

Have we figured out what the missing piece is or what the supernatural element in this chapter is yet?

I think the chapter titles usually refer to multiple things , like an overall theme of the chapter, so it might be all the little secrets that are coming out

I think they are getting older so poo poo is becoming a bit less supernatural.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Age isn't really a factor, remember that SGF mostly starred characters who were technically adults.

Blossom sassed Ol' Knotty into a coma earlier, so that qualifies as supernatural. But I predict this wedding isn't the climax of this chapter and it still has a turn or two on the way. We have to resolve Darren's debt, we're probably going to follow Blossom and Shauna's relationship a few more steps, and I want the new head of discipline to be relevant somehow. I'm guessing that something's going to pull this story 45 degrees soon. We're missing a piece of it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd suggest it's the link between the main action and the time travelling subplot.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'd suggest it's the link between the main action and the time travelling subplot.

You mean Destroy History? That's a separate, unrelated story.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I assumed they'd come together at some point. Oh well.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

spectres of autism posted:

I wonder if the 'twist' here is going to be that Shauna didn't send Darren to jail - her mum did, or he was already about to be arrested, but she understandably remembers herself as the centre of the universe...

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I figure a twist is that Dan came from circumstances too and helps bring the kid back to the family in the end.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I wonder if the 'twist' here is going to be that Shauna didn't send Darren to jail - her mum did, or he was already about to be arrested, but she understandably remembers herself as the centre of the universe...

Well, he hid the pot he was selling where a ten-year-old could find it, so I feel like he was on the road to jail anyway. That doesn't really make a difference as far as their personal feelings about it go.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Spotted Giant Days #1 in the new arrivals of the graphic novels section of Barnes and Noble and picked it up immediately; most impulsey impulse-buy I've ever made.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Of course the British would have a National Fight Board.

Leroy Dennui posted:

Spotted Giant Days #1 in the new arrivals of the graphic novels section of Barnes and Noble and picked it up immediately; most impulsey impulse-buy I've ever made.

Good choice.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saoshyant posted:

Of course the British would have a National Fight Board.

Like the British Ladder Council, they're some of the unsung heroes of British society. :britain:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
At least Darren's looking ashamed there.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Like the British Ladder Council, they're some of the unsung heroes of British society. :britain:

The British Ladder Manufacturer's Association is an entirely real institution, founded in 1947.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It does seem to be a regrettable mixture of drunkenness and anger (however justified) that led to the room destroying.

If I may make a prediction, though, the alienation Daz is getting from his family over this incident combined with his desperation that may lead up to him firing (or rather, rob) this Chekov's Gun:

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20150818

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

BLINTON. Not up for debate. Ahaha.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I can't decide if Scared Linton or Shocked Sonny is the more adorable

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm not looking forward to the excruciating scene where Linton explains to Blossom that he's not really interested in her.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm not looking forward to the excruciating scene where Linton explains to Blossom that he's not really interested in her.

Don't be silly, it's true wuv.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fangz posted:

Don't be silly, it's true wuv.

Honestly, I think both of them are going to see it as a mistake.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sonny's chill status: off the charts.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I don't want to know the answer to the mystery Lottie is investigating. :stonk:

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Man, the actual implications behind Lottie's question were completely lost on me when I first read the strip last night :downs:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man, they really have grown up a bunch, haven't they? They must be getting close to the age of Esther, the Boy, et. al when they made their debut in Scary Go Round, back in the day.

I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Aw I'm re-reading the first few pages of BM now, the baby mystery kids are so adorable.

e: Man, remember how Ryan dates Lottie's sister? Seems messed up in retrospect.

Totally forgot about the subplot in the first case where Dan tries to get Shauna's stolen coat back without her mum finding out. Dude's a class act.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 12, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Roach Warehouse posted:

e: Man, remember how Ryan dates Lottie's sister? Seems messed up in retrospect.

It was pretty messed up in real time, too.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

It was pretty messed up in real time, too.

Yes, but I was just a naive schoolkid at the time, unfamiliar with the sophisticated adult world and too innocent for the intricacies of storytelling themes like "Isn't it hosed up that this guy in his mid 20s is dating a highschooler?"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Totally forgot about the subplot in the first case where Dan tries to get Shauna's stolen coat back without her mum finding out. Dude's a class act.

He is, totally is. He may have some weird ideas how to express love for his kids via tattoos, but otherwise he's a great father.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roach Warehouse posted:

Yes, but I was just a naive schoolkid at the time, unfamiliar with the sophisticated adult world and too innocent for the intricacies of storytelling themes like "Isn't it hosed up that this guy in his mid 20s is dating a highschooler?"

Yeah, but they pointed out in-story it was hosed up, just like they did with Scott Pilgrim.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
This comic always delivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Linton had this whole picture in his head that his life was ruined FOREVER because he pashed a bad lady. Turns out all he had to do was let her be herself.

Yes,

Jackard posted:

This comic always delivers

• Locked thread