Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I currently work from home two days per week. My supervisor asked if I thought we could do our job 100% work from home. It's not up to her, but that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

flosofl posted:

The south isn't immune. My brother works in Raleigh and bitches about his commute all the time, and I hear Atlanta is a special joy as well.

Realistically working in or around any large metro area is going to have traffic issues. Charlotte is worse than Raleigh by a large margin because of the absurd urban sprawl. Problem is southern cities have barely, if any, good public transportation to get you into the city without a car.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I used to do Arlington VA (inside the DC beltway) from Annapolis MD. I was lucky if it only took my 1:45 each way (37 miles).

Now I only drive 26 miles each way, and it's almost all back roads. Aside from randomly getting stuck behind farm equipment in the summer, it's 25 minutes. I'm falling behind on podcasts...

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dark Helmut posted:

All this talk of ridiculous commutes reaffirms my decision to live in the south.

Spoken like someone who definitely does not live in DFW. I mean, it's possible to live near your employer, but holy poo poo the sprawl. And yep, crappy public transportation.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Spoken like someone who definitely does not live in DFW. I mean, it's possible to live near your employer, but holy poo poo the sprawl. And yep, crappy public transportation.

After further review, I'm amending my statement to say "All this talk of ridiculous commutes reaffirms my decision to live in a medium-sized Virginia city that is not in DC hell"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would never live or work in a big city without good public transportation. gently caress that poo poo.

Also don't move or change jobs with a big commute before reading this - http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10/06/the-true-cost-of-commuting/

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I have coworkers in the area who keep getting screwed by this. The VPs act like any location in the area is as good as another, ignoring the impact it has when you live in Richardson and the office moves to Addison. Feh.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

After further review, I'm amending my statement to say "All this talk of ridiculous commutes reaffirms my decision to live in a medium-sized Virginia city that is not in DC hell"

Visiting our office in your city reaffirmed my decision to work at the office in my city :)

edit: especially since I walk to work.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

flosofl posted:

The south isn't immune. My brother works in Raleigh and bitches about his commute all the time, and I hear Atlanta is a special joy as well.

Dallas loving blows. Thank God I don't live there.

Oh wait... http://wtop.com/local/2015/11/interstate-66-worst-drat-freeway-america/

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Erwin posted:

Visiting our office in your city reaffirmed my decision to work at the office in my city :)

edit: especially since I walk to work.

Hahaha, I didn't know you all had a real office here. Next time let me know and I'll take you to lunch/HH.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Dallas loving blows. Thank God I don't live there.

Oh wait... http://wtop.com/local/2015/11/interstate-66-worst-drat-freeway-america/

I am SHOCKED that 90/94 is not on that list for Chicago. We just took the crown of the worst stretch of congestion with 12(!!) miles between downtown and the 90/94 spur to the north.

http://wgntv.com/2015/11/23/the-worst-traffic-bottleneck-is-in-chicago-study-says/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You guys know nothing compared to Vancouver

http://www.businessinsider.com/20-north-american-cities-with-the-worst-traffic-2013-1?op=1

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

Hahaha, I didn't know you all had a real office here. Next time let me know and I'll take you to lunch/HH.

We did (it was even our billing address until recently), but it's down to 1 person plus another small office out near Charlottesville, so I haven't visited in a while. If I do I'll hit you up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
That report is taken from TomTom data.
Who the gently caress uses Tom Tom's? We have cellphone coverage here.

My 20 mile, half hour commute quadruples during rush hour (which is actually 3-5 hours long). Both ways.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 3, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That report is taken from TomTom data.
Who the gently caress uses Tom Tom's? We have cellphone coverage here.

It's pretty common here for built-in car systems, and they use partner's data too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mayodreams posted:

I am SHOCKED that 90/94 is not on that list for Chicago. We just took the crown of the worst stretch of congestion with 12(!!) miles between downtown and the 90/94 spur to the north.

http://wgntv.com/2015/11/23/the-worst-traffic-bottleneck-is-in-chicago-study-says/

The real injustice is the Illinois tolls. You'd think paying a couple bucks every day to fight through 20 mph stop and go stress-inducing traffic would deter some people and alleviate traffic.

And the bonus effect of collecting enough money to perpetually keep the highways under construction, further causing traffic problems that people still pay to enjoy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The real injustice is the Illinois tolls. You'd think paying a couple bucks every day to fight through 20 mph stop and go stress-inducing traffic would deter some people and alleviate traffic.

And the bonus effect of collecting enough money to perpetually keep the highways under construction, further causing traffic problems that people still pay to enjoy.

Could be worse. Could be like some of the states out west where they put up a permanent sign on the Interstate and major surface roads that warns "Road Damage Ahead".

Not a temporary one because they're waiting for funds to fix the issue, just a sign telling you "guess what the road's hosed ahead and you're going to have to deal with that indefinitely".

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

That's measuring the ratio of rush hour to non-rush hour, which just means Vancouver has light traffic sometimes. Some cities never have light traffic, certainly not on a daily basis.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The heaviest traffic areas are not toll roads for the most part. The worst toll road is 294 and that is because is the only real way to get from Indiana to Wisconsin without the clusterfuck of downtown.
  • Almost all roads into the city proper are not tolls: 94, 55, 57, 190 (O'Hare extension), and 290 are not tolled at all.
  • 90 is tolled into the city on the Skyway and out of it west of 294/IL53.
  • I294/I94 (north of Lake Cook to Wisconsin), I88, and I355 are the western connectors that entirely tolled, and while there is rush hour traffic, it is generally not stop and go unless there is an accident.
The most frustrating thing about Chicago traffic is the loving names of the expressways and intersections that even a lot of people here dont know, but they exclusively use on the radio/web reports.

Map for reference. Just took this screen shot from Google maps with traffic. Generally rush hour is considered to start at 3pm and this is an hour earlier, and the Kennedy (90/94 north of downtown) is already hosed inbound and at the 94 spur. For reference in commute chat, I live in Northbrook on the northside (clever!), which is about 22 miles from the Loop.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I drive from Wisconsin to the south suburbs of Chicago to visit family and gently caress all those roads. The construction is poo poo. Glad we moved the gently caress out 25 years ago.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Posting on the cloud

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mayodreams posted:

The heaviest traffic areas are not toll roads for the most part. The worst toll road is 294 and that is because is the only real way to get from Indiana to Wisconsin without the clusterfuck of downtown.
  • Almost all roads into the city proper are not tolls: 94, 55, 57, 190 (O'Hare extension), and 290 are not tolled at all.
  • 90 is tolled into the city on the Skyway and out of it west of 294/IL53.
  • I294/I94 (north of Lake Cook to Wisconsin), I88, and I355 are the western connectors that entirely tolled, and while there is rush hour traffic, it is generally not stop and go unless there is an accident.
The most frustrating thing about Chicago traffic is the loving names of the expressways and intersections that even a lot of people here dont know, but they exclusively use on the radio/web reports.

Map for reference. Just took this screen shot from Google maps with traffic. Generally rush hour is considered to start at 3pm and this is an hour earlier, and the Kennedy (90/94 north of downtown) is already hosed inbound and at the 94 spur. For reference in commute chat, I live in Northbrook on the northside (clever!), which is about 22 miles from the Loop.

Right now driving down Roselle by the new I90 construction feels like a thrilling feat of survival. :gonk:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

Posting on my butt

you always do

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Kashuno posted:

Posting on the cloud

I thought it was funny lowtax bought the domain theforumsaredown.com

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

I thought it was funny lowtax bought the domain theforumsaredown.com
and then put up a really slow WordPress blog on it instead of a static page on an S3 bucket somewhere

e: gently caress, I forgot all about your resume, I need to get back on that

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about working at zulily? I'm interviewing there for a help desk position and I'm just curious.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 4, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Killer Queen posted:

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about working at zulily? I'm interviewing there for a help desk position and I'm just curious.
Glassdoor gives them a 2.6/5 with lots of people complaining about overwork for low pay with little opportunity for growth.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Vulture Culture posted:

Glassdoor gives them a 2.6/5 with lots of people complaining about overwork for low pay with little opportunity for growth.

I've already looked. Glassdoor isn't some esoteric unknown secret. It also doesn't mean very much when 98% of the reviews are for non-IT jobs and most of the very few software engineer etc reviews are fairly positive. I'd rather hear from those with hands-on experience in tech at zulily, which is why I posted in this thread.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 4, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Killer Queen posted:

I've already looked. Glassdoor isn't some unknown secret. But it doesn't mean very much when 98% of the reviews are for non-IT jobs and most of the software engineer etc reviews are fairly positive. I'd rather hear from those with hands-on experience in tech at zulily, which is why I posted in this thread.

Ask question, get answer, be snarky in response, must be a goon.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MF_James posted:

Ask question, get answer, be snarky in response, must be a goon.

It's not my fault if Vulture Culture provided me with a literally worthless answer. Thanks though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Please if anyone is looking for work make sure you know how to do a resume or hire someone to make yours is nice I have gone through too many today that just feel unreadable or are 5 pages long

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Killer Queen posted:

It's not my fault if Vulture Culture provided me with a literally worthless answer. Thanks though.
if you're like this with the roles reversed you must be a real treat on the phone when someone else has a problem

If I were you I'd spend less time worrying about the company and more time worrying about what skills you'd need to develop to possibly be employable in a customer service role

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I was going to talk to you guys about flipping a database cluster but everyone's fighting. :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Glassdoor is not a very good source as it tends to be a place for disgruntled ex-employees to vent their personal issues, which may not necessarily reflect the company as a whole. I know I'm very satisfied with all aspects of my job and company, and I'm not writing glassdoor reviews.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Killer Queen posted:

You new around here?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I was going to talk to you guys about flipping a database cluster but everyone's fighting. :(

If the servers are 2U or larger I suggest wearing something to support your back. A fully loaded DL380 is pretty heavy to be flipping.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Glassdoor is not a very good source as it tends to be a place for disgruntled ex-employees to vent their personal issues, which may not necessarily reflect the company as a whole. I know I'm very satisfied with all aspects of my job and company, and I'm not writing glassdoor reviews.

True, but it can be useful for spotting trends. I didn't apply for a job at a local company because of multiple reviews on Glassdoor all saying the IT department was poorly run and an afterthought in the company instead of a valued business partner.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Killer Queen posted:

I've already looked. Glassdoor isn't some esoteric unknown secret. It also doesn't mean very much when 98% of the reviews are for non-IT jobs and most of the very few software engineer etc reviews are fairly positive. I'd rather hear from those with hands-on experience in tech at zulily, which is why I posted in this thread.

As a potentially helpful piece of advice, help desk and software engineering have basically nothing in common. A help desk grunt is probably gonna have more in common with all those angry customer service people giving them bad reviews than they are a software engineer.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Killer Queen posted:

:getout:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You still can

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

CLAM DOWN posted:

Beyond that, Glassdoor is also dubious because major companies often tell their employees to post positive reviews regularly to flood out the negatives. My current company does this, since we have a very fast-paced environment with questionable work-to-life balance demands, which brings in plenty of negative reviews. Though this doesn't really extend to IT and I really like my job. The only reason I'm looking is because I'm moving to a new city.

Conclusion: Glassdoor is pretty much pointless for most large companies.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skipdogg posted:

True, but it can be useful for spotting trends. I didn't apply for a job at a local company because of multiple reviews on Glassdoor all saying the IT department was poorly run and an afterthought in the company instead of a valued business partner.

I think Glassdoor rating numbers are pretty worthless, but if there are more than a handful, they're probably worth skimming to see if there are trends, like you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if you know everything why are you applying for help desk