Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

I never have made it to ToA. I guess it's 2 hours away from you but have you ever been to the Adventurer's Guild in Harrisburg? There is also a new shop that opened a couple months ago in Leymone/Camp Hill called Savepoint but I guess that's a hike for you. We're on opposite ends.

I have been to Adventurer's Guild. A good friend of mine Sean lives out that way. I went out not long after i got back into Magic for the Theros pre-release. I played in FNM that night, fun story. I won it, playing Naya humans. Their meta was very control heavy and a aggro deck that could poo poo out uncountable dudes did quite well. I understand Adventurer's Guild moved to a new location in the same plaza?

I also make it out to Tales now and then, another friend lives between Allentown and Philly so Tales is a short hop from his place.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Well, if you've got a fair mixture of foils and non-foils in your deck then its not cheating just to show you can cut to a foil. In my standard deck, my basic lands are foil, 2 of my 4 windswept heaths , all 4 wasteland stranglers, 2 of the 4 disdainful strokes, the 1 negate and 2 ultimate prices are foil probably a few other cards as well. I couldn't get any advantage by being able to cut to a foil, since they cover the whole spectrum of cards I could draw. But I could still use my deck to demonstrate being able to cut to a foil consistently. If his opponent had only one foil, or only his removal in foil, or only certain bombs in foil he could potentially use it to get to what he needed when he wanted, I guess, except you don't get to cut your own deck after your opponent randomizes it. I have a feeling Gerard's suspension had more to do with getting a really bad attitude with judges than slipping up and demonstrating that he had been a foil cutting cheater all along.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I don't know about the composition of Fabianos deck, but I was told his opponent had a foiled out series of lands, and only the lands, which is a no no.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah knowing whether your top card is a land can be a large advantage when it comes to mulligan decisions.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Shovelmint posted:

Well, if you've got a fair mixture of foils and non-foils in your deck then its not cheating just to show you can cut to a foil. In my standard deck, my basic lands are foil, 2 of my 4 windswept heaths , all 4 wasteland stranglers, 2 of the 4 disdainful strokes, the 1 negate and 2 ultimate prices are foil probably a few other cards as well. I couldn't get any advantage by being able to cut to a foil, since they cover the whole spectrum of cards I could draw. But I could still use my deck to demonstrate being able to cut to a foil consistently. If his opponent had only one foil, or only his removal in foil, or only certain bombs in foil he could potentially use it to get to what he needed when he wanted, I guess, except you don't get to cut your own deck after your opponent randomizes it. I have a feeling Gerard's suspension had more to do with getting a really bad attitude with judges than slipping up and demonstrating that he had been a foil cutting cheater all along.

Sure, but it is beyond stupid to prove your opponent is cheating by showing a judge how you can do it with your own deck. I really get nervous about mixing foil and non-foils. You can easily make a case that if you need a certain card, and know it is / is not a foil in your deck, that say fetching to change the top card of your deck is perfectly doable.

I was at an event I overheard two judges talking about a random deck check they did. Guy had 4 foil cryptic commands in his deck, the only foils. They took turns trying to cut to a cryptic, were able to do so consistently, so they issued some penalty. I can't recall what it was. I had a set of foil bolts and foil promo scoozes in my jund deck, I replaced them with all non-foils before GP Pitt because why take the risk?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jassi007 posted:

Sure, but it is beyond stupid to prove your opponent is cheating by showing a judge how you can do it with your own deck. I really get nervous about mixing foil and non-foils. You can easily make a case that if you need a certain card, and know it is / is not a foil in your deck, that say fetching to change the top card of your deck is perfectly doable.

I was at an event I overheard two judges talking about a random deck check they did. Guy had 4 foil cryptic commands in his deck, the only foils. They took turns trying to cut to a cryptic, were able to do so consistently, so they issued some penalty. I can't recall what it was. I had a set of foil bolts and foil promo scoozes in my jund deck, I replaced them with all non-foils before GP Pitt because why take the risk?

Was this ever confirmed to be true or are we all parroting a reddit comment?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I've asked a series of judges and players who enjoy using foil cards, and a couple basics always seem to rise to the top. If you want to play foil cards, have above 25% of your deck foiled. Don't only have foils of a specific type of card, and above all, double sleeve. I'm told the reason Fabiano's opponent did not receive a punishment for his foil lands is because they were properly double sleeved, which negates much of the differences between foil and non foil cards.

Sickening posted:

Closest reference I have was a friend of a friend who was observing a match at the same table who confirmed this was what happened. Whether it was that or something else that happened during the investigation that actually caused the DQ and suspension is something I don't think we will ever get a definitive answer on.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 3, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Never has Gerrard's Verdict been stronger in legacy

I remember reading a story years ago about a guy taking down a big event with 4c Zoo or something in Extended where this card played a key role in some crucial round. Event coverage asks the guy why he was running such an obscure card, and he says it's because his name is Gerrard. I wish I could find the article, it was on the mothership and it always stuck with me as such an awesome reason for a deckbuilding decision. It may have been Fabiano, I can't remember.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 3, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Neither Gerard or the DCI has made any statement.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jassi007 posted:

I have been to Adventurer's Guild. A good friend of mine Sean lives out that way. I went out not long after i got back into Magic for the Theros pre-release. I played in FNM that night, fun story. I won it, playing Naya humans. Their meta was very control heavy and a aggro deck that could poo poo out uncountable dudes did quite well. I understand Adventurer's Guild moved to a new location in the same plaza?

I also make it out to Tales now and then, another friend lives between Allentown and Philly so Tales is a short hop from his place.

Nobody ever comes to Pittsburgh. :sigh:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

suicidesteve posted:

It's like the worst part of the state! Harrisburg is ftw, friend

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

I do. Well, I don't travel a lot in general, but I've been to Mr. Nice Guys, and New Dimensions in Pittsburgh Mills. One of my friends in Altoona has a college buddy Jon that manages ND in Mills Mall. I'm married and have 2 small kids so my wife tolerates about 3-6 weekends away a year. Playing cards and traveling for a Saturday or a weekend is a big deal at this time in our lives.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

I will continue going there for large X wang tournaments for as long as Roy keeps hosting them. Love that guy. MNGG has a great inventory of board games too. :3:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Next power nine is fun but top sure as hell isnt on it.

Mishras Workshop
Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoths Will
Necropotence
Tolarian Academy
Mana Crypt
Tinker
Balance

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Chill la Chill posted:

I will continue going there for large X wang tournaments for as long as Roy keeps hosting them. Love that guy. MNGG has a great inventory of board games too. :3:

Ron. And agreed. I tried X-Wing a while ago but eh, it's just not my thing. Geometry was the only math I was never very good at.

jassi007 posted:

I do. Well, I don't travel a lot in general, but I've been to Mr. Nice Guys, and New Dimensions in Pittsburgh Mills. One of my friends in Altoona has a college buddy Jon that manages ND in Mills Mall. I'm married and have 2 small kids so my wife tolerates about 3-6 weekends away a year. Playing cards and traveling for a Saturday or a weekend is a big deal at this time in our lives.

Yeah Jon is a good guy even if NDC kinda sucks for Magic. It's definitely a comic store that happens to have some gaming stuff. I'm in the same boat as you with family stuff. It's been several months since I got out to play vintage and I don't think I've played legacy outside of FNM since like July. I think we might have talked about this a while ago but I was up in Altoona at this place called Snake Eyes, I think, for a GPT for Jersey. It was a pretty nice place even if none of the regulars had real legacy decks. Every now and then we make the trip up there to go to Friendly's too.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
lmao

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
As long as we're playing 'find other goons at your store', does anyone else here go to Mead Hall in Minneapolis? I started going not too long ago and man that's a great store.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Mishras Workshop
Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoths Will
Necropotence
Tolarian Academy
Mana Crypt
Tinker
Balance

This list is pretty good, but I'd probably take Vampiric Tutor over Balance and I'd be leery of omitting Force of Will even if its a lot more fair in reality than the other cards on the list simply because its function is too important.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Alright, Saffron Olive is my new favorite Magic content creator.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

As long as we're playing 'find other goons at your store', does anyone else here go to Mead Hall in Minneapolis? I started going not too long ago and man that's a great store.

Place is great! I'm there just about every Wednesday for legacy and some Mondays/Saturdays for modern.

Edit: the legacy crowd is great and super chill. I will say that I've come across a couple of grinders in the modern group that get really god drat salty about losing.

Trilas fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 3, 2015

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've been looking to find a new store for FNM and events since the FFG Game Center turned out to have really lackluster turnouts. How's the crowd there?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't go there only because I've heard some rather disparaging things about a handful of people who play there (and primarily because it's a bit of a hike). Debating popping down there to draft tomorrow, though.

Also apparently We Got Game over on 25th(ish) and Hennepin is trying to get some kind of magic thing going, either FNM or casual play or the like. The guy who runs it is a decent chap.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

Ron. And agreed. I tried X-Wing a while ago but eh, it's just not my thing. Geometry was the only math I was never very good at.

Yeah Jon is a good guy even if NDC kinda sucks for Magic. It's definitely a comic store that happens to have some gaming stuff. I'm in the same boat as you with family stuff. It's been several months since I got out to play vintage and I don't think I've played legacy outside of FNM since like July. I think we might have talked about this a while ago but I was up in Altoona at this place called Snake Eyes, I think, for a GPT for Jersey. It was a pretty nice place even if none of the regulars had real legacy decks. Every now and then we make the trip up there to go to Friendly's too.

Let me know when your coming to Altoona. Snake Eyes is my shop. Yeah almost nobody has legacy, but you can play plenty of modern or EDH.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Does anyone know why Painful Truths is in such high demand on Pucatrade?

It's been like this for like 2 weeks, and I can't figure out why...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

St0rmD posted:

Pat Chapin did something with it recently and has talked it up big time. I think something esper legacy? Also people are certain it has some place in modern. Its like everyone wants to get in on it before it becomes a $5-10 rare.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

St0rmD posted:

Cause it's good in both Legacy and Modern.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

ok, good to know, thanks.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't go there only because I've heard some rather disparaging things about a handful of people who play there (and primarily because it's a bit of a hike). Debating popping down there to draft tomorrow, though.

Also apparently We Got Game over on 25th(ish) and Hennepin is trying to get some kind of magic thing going, either FNM or casual play or the like. The guy who runs it is a decent chap.

I only really show up for drafts, and everyone I've met in that capacity has been great.

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I've been looking to find a new store for FNM and events since the FFG Game Center turned out to have really lackluster turnouts. How's the crowd there?

I'd definitely recommend it. Skill level is solid and there's something going on just about every night of the week, there's always plenty of people (well, the friday 10 PM Modern doesn't always fire, but I'm too busy drafting then to care too much about that).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I would if I lived on that side of PA! The only store here in Philadelphia that does more than EDH is on the opposite side of the city, and lol at trying to drive there at 6 on a weeknight. I finally have the money (and maybe even the time) to play this dumb game but no one with whom to play :sigh: Any other Philly Magic goons in this thread who can lend a hand?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Mishras Workshop
Sol Ring
Demonic Tutor
Yawgmoths Will
Necropotence
Tolarian Academy
Mana Crypt
Tinker
Balance Bazaar of Baghdad

Good list, except Balance. Bazaar of Baghdad is one of the pillars of Vintage, it belongs on any list of the "Second Power 9".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Painful Truths is a draw 3 for 3 and that's real good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

Good list, except Balance. Bazaar of Baghdad is one of the pillars of Vintage, it belongs on any list of the "Second Power 9".

It's also not splashy at all, unlike any of the power nine

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Who would have thought setting up shop and trade in the desert would result in a zombie apocalypse?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

BizarroAzrael posted:

A lot of bellyaching on Reddit about the mythic rarity level, all asserting what it "should" be and how it's awful powerful cards get printed there. Or weak cards.

It got me thinking about the chances of getting a given Mythic in a pack. In a large set I figure it's a 1/8 to get a mythic at all and then 1/15 for a given mythic, so 1/120.

For the chance of a given rare, firstly it's 7/8 of not getting a mythic, then 1/52 or 7/371 of a given rare, giving 7/2968 or 1/424.

I must have a made a mistake, right? What have I missed, or are you actually more likely to open Gideon than Prism Array?

I think it was SaffronOlive that kicked off the discussion on what Mythic Rares should be (as defined by WOTC) and comparing them to their status today in an article here: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-changing-definition-of-mythic-rare

I wasn't playing when they were first released in Alara block, but if what he's saying regarding Wizards public statements on how something is classified as a Mythic at the time are true then the current situation the game finds itself in is pretty hosed up.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

little munchkin posted:

I never really understood the whole problem with complexity until someone I was drafting with said to me "do you ever just not play a card because it's got too many words and can't figure out what it does?". I asked what card it was and said I could probably explain it to them. She showed me Abbot of Keral Keep and I was like oh that card is a bomb you should definitely play it.

A friend of mine passed me an Inferno Titan in M12 draft for that reason.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Serperoth posted:

Someone posted this on Tumblr yesterday.

It isn't perfect, but dang, I wish I'd done this first.

I don't get it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I don't get it.

Your loss.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I don't get it.

A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

It's a joke based on this infamous comic:

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I didn't get it either and "knows famous penny arcade panels" or whatever is a pretty niche prerequisite for a joke.

edit: also "asking the on-call nurse where a room is" isnt really the same as Opposition, and "doctor regretfully explaining what happened" isn't Browbeat. I give this a 1/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Terrible Horse posted:

I didn't get it either and "knows famous penny arcade panels" or whatever is a pretty niche prerequisite for a joke.

edit: also "asking the on-call nurse where a room is" isnt really the same as Opposition, and "doctor regretfully explaining what happened" isn't Browbeat. I give this a 1/10

Also, the fetus died, not the mother. 0/10

• Locked thread