Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Is the Cove really that bad? Haven't tried it at higher levels yet but it seems roughly balanced at apprentice level. It's got some decent treasure plus free negative quirk removal too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Is the Cove really that bad? Haven't tried it at higher levels yet but it seems roughly balanced at apprentice level. It's got some decent treasure plus free negative quirk removal too.

The enemies do more damage, especially those spear fish things, and the trap debuff goes for a super long period of time. For me it was harder at apprentice than at higher levels.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Definitely going to hop back in and play some with the abomination tonight. I've been cautiously staying away from this game so as not to burn out too much before its finished as I have on some early access games, but there's a bunch of new stuff now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Iron Chitlin posted:

Virtue chance is currently hidden even when looking in the game files, I suspect we may have to wait for mod tools to see what the odds actually are, much less change them.

Yeah I couldn't find a sniff of it yesterday, came to post this was not disappointed

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Has Red Hook made any comments about if anything can be done to fix the trinkets GUI crash issue if you mod the roster size up? This last big update seems to have made it crash always as opposed to some of the time.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Canopus250 posted:

Has Red Hook made any comments about if anything can be done to fix the trinkets GUI crash issue if you mod the roster size up? This last big update seems to have made it crash always as opposed to some of the time.

I'm finding that as long as I equip trinkets in town instead of in the embark screen, I don't crash as much.

Staying below 30 also seems to help, if I'm below 30 I seem to be able to equip even in the embark screen. I only modded up to 30 myself, but I've read that if you went into the 40s you really need to consider reducing your roster.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I did some "datamining" and I can confirm that virtue chance is 50% for all heroes until you have your first hero go virtuous, and after that virtue chance is 0% forever and ever and ever and ever. :mad:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey I heard this game is good, are they ever going to bring it out of early access? I see their original goal for that was 1st half 2015.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey I heard this game is good, are they ever going to bring it out of early access? I see their original goal for that was 1st half 2015.

Yes when its feature complete and not before. And its not there yet but it inches closer and closer every month. There have been several continuous updates.

Almost all kickstarter games massively massively under-budget on time. Like, I'm struggling to think of a single kickstarter game that delivered anywhere close to on-schedule. Better to be good than to be on-schedule. Software in general is extremely difficult to manage and schedule and games are even harder because you don't know how much you'll have to iterate on and change before it becomes "fun".

The game is definitely fun as it is if you wanna hop into early access, there's a lot more content than there was when it was first released to EA. But I'm also trying not to burn out too much before its "done" so if you wanna wait that's cool too.

Its a fairly simple but also deep RPG with some very unique mechanics and an exceptionally good setting and themes.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I thought they said end of January for release

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah twitter says January 19th 2016. So not far off now.

I mean with the completion of the backer-designed class all they need now to be feature complete is the darkest dungeon itself.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Cool, I'll check back in January.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

paradoxGentleman posted:

All traps have different effect, but the one in the Cove is by far the nastiest, especially since the enemies there generally stronger.

This is a balancing problem on their part, not a planned thing, right? It's not like the Cove gives particularly hefty rewards.

it used to be worse. the fishmen used to give you 3 bleed over 3 turns from their swords

it is a balancing issue. it is slightly mitigated by the fact that there are better curios there, if you are lucky; healing coral is great to cure your twitching drink-addled clumsy limpwristed heroes, and is not rare

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What's a good strategy to take down the siren?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Cool, I'll check back in January.

Why do people stringently refuse to buy games until they're out of EA? I don't understand the point, other than 'refusal to support devs.'

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

packetmantis posted:

Why do people stringently refuse to buy games until they're out of EA? I don't understand the point, other than 'refusal to support devs.'

Because burning out on incomplete games is very much a thing. Buying an EA game and playing it into the ground before full release can leave people with an overall negative impression of something they would have otherwise enjoyed. I feel like the general shift in sentiment towards Darkest Dungeon is a pretty good example of this.

I buy EA games but I honestly have little interest in playing them until they're complete. I had Invisible Inc in EA and played it for all of two hours. Once it released I sank 70 into it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

packetmantis posted:

One runs the risk of burning themself out on the game before the whole thing is even available.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

it used to be worse. the fishmen used to give you 3 bleed over 3 turns from their swords

it is a balancing issue. it is slightly mitigated by the fact that there are better curios there, if you are lucky; healing coral is great to cure your twitching drink-addled clumsy limpwristed heroes, and is not rare

Dayumn. I am not sorry I missed that.

I still don't think the Cove is that bad in its current state. The spear fish don't have super high accuracy or crit and can only use the more damaging sword attack from the front. Meanwhile, in exchange for their slightly higher average damage there don't seem to be as many effective stress attackers or DOTs.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

amuayse posted:

What's a good strategy to take down the siren?

shoot the sirendemon, until it dies

(masses of debuff resistance on everyone so your dudes don't join its side)

e:

Gabriel Pope posted:

I still don't think the Cove is that bad in its current state. The spear fish don't have super high accuracy or crit and can only use the more damaging sword attack from the front. Meanwhile, in exchange for their slightly higher average damage there don't seem to be as many effective stress attackers or DOTs.

*Arterially Pinches u*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Its nothing about refusal to support devs, devs still get your money for the final product.

It has to do with not burning out on a game before the game becomes as much fun as it can be, like I just got through explaining. I've done this with several EA games, you see so much of them while they're still wonky that when they finally come out they feel old and not fresh, you've already seen and done most everything there is to see and do. But now it would be more fun than it was before, they ironed out the kinks, except you've already done it. Maybe you replay it but maybe you don't want to, and even if you do its not the same as the first experience.

Why do people stringently refuse to read spoilers about books or shows they enjoy? Same thing.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

packetmantis posted:

In addition to what folks said about burnout, a good chunk of EA games are barely playable garbage, and at least a few I've heard of were declared complete before all the advertised features were put in and then abandoned. For a lot of games you're basically paying for beta access and gambling on the final product being worthwhile.

Darkest Dungeon isn't like that, but it's more an exception than the rule.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

*Arterially Pinches u*

Haven't gotten to the veteran missions yet. Just looked up what the big monster for the zone is and yeah lol I see what people are bitching about now.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I purposefully didn't burn out on DD when I first got it back in Jan, played a few hours and then I've checked in every time a big update has come out for a couple dungeon runs. When it properly comes out I'll probably start a new village and go all out to try and beat it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

*Arterially Pinches u*

Normally I do not use bandages: they need a stack for themselves and the cost stacks up if you are a piece of Radiant Light using scum and every coin counts.

But that? That got me to pony up the cash.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

packetmantis posted:

starbound

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

packetmantis posted:

poo poo has gone extremely poorly before.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Because burning out on incomplete games is very much a thing. Buying an EA game and playing it into the ground before full release can leave people with an overall negative impression of something they would have otherwise enjoyed. I feel like the general shift in sentiment towards Darkest Dungeon is a pretty good example of this.

I buy EA games but I honestly have little interest in playing them until they're complete. I had Invisible Inc in EA and played it for all of two hours. Once it released I sank 70 into it.

Invisible Inc. was also this game for me. bought it, hated it, uninstalled it, forgot I had it.

Came back months after launch and it turns out to be one of the best games I own. Almost didn't even give it another chance.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

:downs:

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 3, 2015

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Soothing Vapors posted:

Only 15 totally unnecessary steps and approximately 50 clicks to get that cosmic scenario you wanted! Thanks Mr. Gaz!

lol

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Only 15 totally unnecessary steps and approximately 50 (64? i am bad at math) clicks to get that cosmic scenario you wanted! Thanks Mr. Gaz!

I will never escape that goddamned thread

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Is... is this not the Marvel Heroes thread :ohdear:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

The human mind... fragile, like a robin’s egg.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is... is this not the Marvel Heroes thread :ohdear:

I was about to make a huge :confused: post

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Soothing Vapors hosed around with this message at Dec 3, 2015 around 22:04

Normality clarified in a single post!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
So what's happened to this game since august

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

IronicDongz posted:

So what's happened to this game since august

realistic nutsack hairs

in seriousness, there's a reason they have announcement streams on most games on steam, perhaps you should start there and then ask specific questions

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Iron Chitlin posted:

Virtue chance is currently hidden even when looking in the game files, I suspect we may have to wait for mod tools to see what the odds actually are, much less change them.

I bet the devs hide the virtue chance because they gently caress with it. Player cruising = more likely afflicted, player floundering = the opposite. Or maybe the darkest dungeon itself rigs the affliction chance to tilt one way or the other at certain times.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
they mentioned the estate? is the game is beatable now?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zombie Samurai posted:

I will never escape that goddamned thread

Just when we thought we were out, they keep pulling us back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

they mentioned the estate? is the game is beatable now?

Nope, "the estate" refers to the whole hamlet.

1.0 release with endgame content is slated for January 19.