Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just caught up on Adventure Zone. A bit on-rails like people were saying, but I've still really been enjoying it. I have a mechanics question that's I've been curious about for a little while though. The only exposure I have to DnD is old video games, which use DnD 2-3.5. In all of those, Wizards learn most of their spells by finding/buying scrolls. Is this different in 5.0 or whatever it is they're playing? Or is Taako just getting hosed because Griffin won't give him spell scrolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Here's the way I understand it. Keep in mind that I've never opiated DnD and this is purely based on what they say in the podcast.

So, everyone who uses magic has a list of spells they can use based on their class (i.e. Wizard or Cleric) and subclass (i.e. Transmutation or Nature) with more spells becoming available to them as they level up. They can use each spell as many times as they want, but the ones that aren't cantrips require the use of a spell slot, which are limited and can't be replenished without a good long sleep.

This is why Justin is a bit anal about making sure they get long rests; once he runs out of spell slots he's basically helpless to do anything. Clint on the other hand has plenty of cantrips and a big hammer.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
In order to prepare a spell to cast for the day, it must be in the Wizard's spellbook. When a wizard finds a scroll which contains spell they don't know, they can copy it into their spell book, but they also are assumed to be working on new spells all the time and get to add 2 free spells to their spellbook every time they level up. Every other class has a hard cap on the number of spells they can know or has access to their class's entire spell list and prepares a subset every day.

Wizards have a lot of legacy baggage.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com

Poopy Palpy posted:

In order to prepare a spell to cast for the day, it must be in the Wizard's spellbook. When a wizard finds a scroll which contains spell they don't know, they can copy it into their spell book, but they also are assumed to be working on new spells all the time and get to add 2 free spells to their spellbook every time they level up. Every other class has a hard cap on the number of spells they can know or has access to their class's entire spell list and prepares a subset every day.

Wizards have a lot of legacy baggage.

It's still easier than managing mana though, or "at will" & "daily" & "encounter" powers. I think the listener gets it when Takko sadly announces that he's spent his last spell, or the three argue over whether or not it's worth wasting a spell slot to save a gang members life.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

What happens when a character dies for real? I don't know D&D.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

myron cope posted:

The player generally hangs themselves screaming NOOO NOT BLACK LEAF

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

myron cope posted:

In a conventional tabletop game? There are spells that can bring someone back from the dead a bit weaker, or at full strength, or else reincarnate them. These are as "available" as the setting or more importantly the DM wants them to be. Ideally you might have an NPC that someone could assume control of, or have a way to integrate a new PC into the fold, or have a quest to appease a powerful enough NPC to do one of the above spells.

Importantly, sometimes people get sick of playing a fighter, or a druid, or whatever, and are fine with trying something new.

On a podcast like this? It's usually easier to impose a different restriction other than death as a "consequence" for "failure". As an example, have one of the guys lose the ability to speak for a session (scribbling out their statements on a chalkboard) or something more fun like that rather than the forced integration of a new character into the radio play.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
anybody else going to Candlenights 2015? I went last year and just got my ticket for this year! It was a blast and I'm sure it'll be again.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

In a conventional tabletop game? There are spells that can bring someone back from the dead a bit weaker, or at full strength, or else reincarnate them. These are as "available" as the setting or more importantly the DM wants them to be. Ideally you might have an NPC that someone could assume control of, or have a way to integrate a new PC into the fold, or have a quest to appease a powerful enough NPC to do one of the above spells.

Importantly, sometimes people get sick of playing a fighter, or a druid, or whatever, and are fine with trying something new.

On a podcast like this? It's usually easier to impose a different restriction other than death as a "consequence" for "failure". As an example, have one of the guys lose the ability to speak for a session (scribbling out their statements on a chalkboard) or something more fun like that rather than the forced integration of a new character into the radio play.

There's a really easy mechanism to replace the characters in the podcast. They would just roll a new dude of their choosing and have it be an agent of whatever the artifact destroyer people are called.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Drunkboxer posted:

There's a really easy mechanism to replace the characters in the podcast. They would just roll a new dude of their choosing and have it be an agent of whatever the artifact destroyer people are called.

Except for Taako. The true quest is to discover mexican cuisine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Except for Taako. The true quest is to discover mexican cuisine.

he can be replaced by his heretofore unmentioned brother, Barrido.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
We were really close (like maybe a round?) to seeing what happened when someone died during the first encounter with Sloane but I'm glad it was storylined away.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am so loving psyched that MSMSaM is coming this week.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Drunkboxer posted:

True, that's another way to skin a cat. Part of the thing is that each of the characters presumably has a fan base and it might cause some friction should say Merle or Taako be offed. But the "organization" is a pretty classic DM ploy.

Anyway, death is just not as interesting as 90% of the alternatives in D&D, assuming some creativity in the mix. But if one of the players is bored of playing their dude it's usually a good idea to rotate out.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The obvious answer is that it would take a bunch of work to create and re-introduce a new character, especially if Clint dies and has to repick everything. It's a lot easier for Griffin to just come up with some deus ex machina or literal magical solution to something and just keep the story going. I mean at this point the podcast is first and foremost a story about their 3 specific characters and the adventure they're on. The fact that D&D's involved is a minor detail.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don't think it'd be much work at all really. Random death in dnd is funny y'all.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
If you die can you upgrade to like a level 1 ghost?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Wouldn't most campaigns left you re-roll a character that would be at least a similar, if not identical, level as the one just lost? I can't imagine it'd be too big of a hassle.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

kidcoelacanth posted:

I am so loving psyched that MSMSaM is coming this week.

It's in my Bonus Materials feed right now GOGOGOGOGO

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SpacePig posted:

Wouldn't most campaigns left you re-roll a character that would be at least a similar, if not identical, level as the one just lost? I can't imagine it'd be too big of a hassle.

5th edition brought back rules for even running a game where not everyone in the party is the same level, but you'd have to be a real dickbag of a DM to use them. Not to mention that it's extra work for you.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Keep in mind that even if something isn't a huge deal to do irl, any major changes to the campaign mean that Griffin has to 1) explain it to his brothers/dad, 2) hold their hands through it while they do it, 3) naturally work it into the story/current campaign, 4) edit it down to both include all the relevant info and still be interesting enough to listen to, and 5) fit it into the ~hour-ish episode format.

Certainly doable and maybe not even a big deal if the circumstances were right (the twin brother idea would be pretty funny and easy to do) but it's still something to consider so I don't blame Griffin for mostly avoiding actually dangerous situations and just treating it like an on-rails video game campaign instead.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I wasn't expecting Ma-slim-slam to dive straight into the deep end of yahoo answers but it did.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rachel's voice is exactly in the middle of Sydnee and Teresa's which makes it nearly impossible for me to tell who's talking sometimes.

Friggin' love this episode though.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah I was worried it wasn't gonna live up to the wait until they started talking about tail-loving Godzilla

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Which episode was the one that ended with 15 minutes of them talking like meek jazz musicians? That one was my favorite.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Ariong posted:

Which episode was the one that ended with 15 minutes of them talking like meek jazz musicians? That one was my favorite.

I want to say it was called "hey baby", but I could be wrong.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Meowjesty posted:

If you die can you upgrade to like a level 1 ghost?
I think this would actually be a great solution if death becomes unavoidable. I can see them having a lot of fun with a ghost or zombie party member.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

With only one possible avenue remaining to spice up his tasty central-american treats, Taako becomes a ghost in order to unlock the secrets of the legendary ghost pepper.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I want to say it was called "hey baby", but I could be wrong.

Nope, it was at the end of 123: contraband future dildos.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Oh god. Sydnee having an iguana called Jimmy Buffett is the most appropriate thing. We now know where Justin's love comes from

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

♫Guess what's back, it's Things I Bought At Sheetz!♫

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRFUfTXeESM

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

♫Guess what's back, it's Things I Bought At Sheetz!♫

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRFUfTXeESM

I can't believe sheetz refuses to celebrate our dark lord.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
How many times will Justin poo poo his pants?

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

How many times will Justin poo poo his pants?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWa0dZMHYeE

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I've been going through the MBMBaM archive since their guest Flophouse and it's quickly become my favorite comedy podcast. However, I think i'll go to my grave without being able to tell the difference between Travis and Justin.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

I am Reverend posted:

I've been going through the MBMBaM archive since their guest Flophouse and it's quickly become my favorite comedy podcast. However, I think i'll go to my grave without being able to tell the difference between Travis and Justin.

Nah it's easy, Travis has a beard.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

I am Reverend posted:

My fiancee has been listening with me off and on for years, as well as all of Sawbones and TAZ and she still can't tell the difference between Justin or Travis. I don't understand how, but apparently it is just that hard for some people.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Is MSMSaM donor only or is it just early release for donors?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I do believe it is donor only. There's no moneyzone segment in it which usually means it's a fun drive exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I am Reverend posted:

I thought that at first too, but over time they get easy to tell apart and then you'll wonder how you ever confused the two. I think part of it may be that Griffin is so awesome you know which one he is, and the other two are just random dudes at first.

• Locked thread