Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Eldragon posted:

WW2 knife fights was always the intention. Long range combat was never in the plan. Guns ranges top out at 3 km if I remember Correctly.

High velocity crashes will also probably be a common occurrence, if Arena Commander is anything to go by. Slow turrets and Multicrew however are not moot because the combat maneuver speed is incredibly slow by space standards, 300 ms or less. Plenty slow for manually aiming the guns on your craft. The more interesting discussion is "why would I never want to travel in anything other that cruise mode and just run away from everything." and skip combat altogether.

So whining about the particulars if there are still using 32 bit for camera relative positioning for rendering is moot, who cares. Its not worth the performance or memory hit to be able to precisely draw an object that the player will never see or interact with. Large Objects that you can actually see 10+ km away aren't player controlled and are stationary.

The only thing that remains to be proved is if it really is possible to manually fly from point A to point B at 1000 ms for 60+ hours. Which eventually someone will do when the game is more stable or someone does the private server hack.

Wait so you can have goons in shitboxes for ramming descend upon pubbies in slow combat mode. This game sounds pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"The Bad Boys from Boston are back, and we're here to restore hard rock to its rightful place!"

*Guitar riffs*

And the goal of the game is to help/harm other rock bands, while destroying pop and dubstep.

but... i like dubstep D:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, my bad. I didn't even look at the video because I already know that there are few which just poke fun at the project. I just assumed that it was one of those.

And yes, it happened twice. In Sep 2014 was a snafu on Steam's part when we first put it up on Early Access. And in 03/15 we made it free for a period of time as that was the only way for us to test the Steam account, login, entitlements etc.

I can dig it. Sorry for the inquisition, I was just curious.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The landing pads are already there if they just make people fly into their hangars (well at least the ones that aren't asteroid hangars, although you could just shrug and say gently caress YOUR IMMERSION). But yeah there's probably a lot of content that has to be generated before that's really viable.

That's true. It does seem like it's more of a content issue than a technical issue, at least for the landing parts. Which means it'll only take a couple more years for it to get put in. I gotta admit, even if they don't have the location fleshed out the way they want with pads and stuff, just having people fly into their hangars would be cool as poo poo.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I get a vibe closer to Fallout than "alien integrated space ship" but it definitely looks significantly improved.

Those are nice jpegs and it's for the ship I pledged for way back when. Almost makes me wish I didn't get a refund chargeback.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Eldragon posted:

High velocity crashes will also probably be a common occurrence, if Arena Commander is anything to go by. Slow turrets and Multicrew however are not moot because the combat maneuver speed is incredibly slow by space standards, 300 ms or less. Plenty slow for manually aiming the guns on your craft. The more interesting discussion is "why would I never want to travel in anything other that cruise mode and just run away from everything." and skip combat altogether.

So whining about the particulars if there are still using 32 bit for camera relative positioning for rendering is moot, who cares. Its not worth the performance or memory hit to be able to precisely draw an object that the player will never see or interact with. Large Objects that you can actually see 10+ km away aren't player controlled and are stationary.

Based on the video I linked earlier you can detect and lock onto ships that are 20+ kilometers away from you. You obviously can't fire at those ranges, but you can at least follow their movements without being force to engagement ranges. So there's at least some interaction beyond the weapon ranges.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

More to the point. It's now end of 2015. The large world promised, is still non-existent. They've release a section that's 1/100 of what they promised. And for a game he claims is coming out in 2016. In fact, May 2016 to be exact, if they don't change the ToS again in 2016.

And let's not even get into the features promised.

Yes, but they did promise a shitload of things, so it's kinda hard for them to keep track of the whole mess. Now, if the had promised a single thing -like a lawsuit- and obviously had the means -like lawyers on retainer- to do so but didn't then it would indeed be positively unacceptable.

But seriously Derek, it is fine if there is a reason you cannot go ahead with the lawsuit but at least say so, nobody would blame you for that since everybody knows that once the lawyers get involved things can get out of hand easily.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

revmoo posted:

That is a classic MS move right there "here you don't need this." Right along the lines of force-upgrading people's PCs to Win10 overnight and calling it an accident. They really think they just own the loving world.

I had a coworker get his Exchange account shutdown by MS earlier today. This is a corporate O365 account and Microsoft just waltzed in and shut his account down because he was sending "spam" aka test emails because he's a sysadmin.

Well, to be fair, some of this poo poo really DID break Windows 10 and caused it to fail to boot up.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

From "Around the Verse": Tom Johnson at Foundry 42

These don't sound like the actions of a company with a cash crisis.

As we weigh the credibility of various the allegations of anonymous employees and ex-employees (laundered through The Escapist and Derek's blog), I think the "there's only $8M left in the bank!" rumors of a couple of months ago need to be downgraded to "highly unlikely" status. I'm not inclined to be believe they were true when aired, even if "insiders" passed them along. They certainly are not true now.

The cash engine still works, even if not as efficiently as it once did, even if they had a bad summer. And it very well might get them, in the next 18 months, to the $150 million that Derek has repeatedly stated would be the minimum necessary to complete the game as sold.

Just figured I'd through that out there.

I broke this news back in Oct that they were focusing all efforts in F42 due to SQ42 being the new cash cow target, that they were hiring and offering top dollar etc.

And if they're down-sizing here in the US, that makes a lot of sense. Nothing to do with being in a cash crisis.

And they don't have 18 months.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ok some initial reports from Line Of Defence

Still can't click menus
Fire bullets out of thumbs, no gun - looks like I am taking a bullet piss which is pretty cool

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

He invested in the initial Kickstarters so I presume that would be the case.

Nah. I have solid rules regarding PC game purchase : Buy 3 weeks after launch, No kickstarters, no early access for the first 3 months (to see the pace of progress and the % chance of it being complete some day), no founder packs or lifetime membership. If it has a season pass i will get it as a GOTY on next year STEAM sales, DLC only if on sale below 50% of original asked price. No Ubisoft or EA titles unless heavily discounted (Below 5$). Those rules saved me from most recent years debacles (Starbound, Archeage, the last Batman game to name a few)

I know i miss some fun and the "community" effect on many game but I'm down for 0$ in SC and wont be in for more untill its a real game that can be reviewed.

I'm mostly here because this is fascinating how you can raise 100M on promises alone and for the fun of the arguments while playing space enginners or Age of Wulin between thread pages. Seriously considering getting Elite if Horizon get good review and add enough content.. Also "From the depths" is a fun "Build lego and them have fights with them" kind of game.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 3, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Ok some initial reports from Line Of Defence

Still can't click menus
Fire bullets out of thumbs, no gun - looks like I am taking a bullet piss which is pretty cool

Can you comment on the FoV? seems kinda low based on the videos. Is there a Fov slider to ensure maximum player comfort.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

kikkelivelho posted:

Can you comment on the FoV? seems kinda low based on the videos. Is there a Fov slider to ensure maximum player comfort.

I will go look now

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

kikkelivelho posted:

Based on the video I linked earlier you can detect and lock onto ships that are 20+ kilometers away from you. You obviously can't fire at those ranges, but you can at least follow their movements without being force to engagement ranges. So there's at least some interaction beyond the weapon ranges.

Okay, 20km, that's still inside 32 bit floats (80 km with two digits for centimeters? I need to ponder that a bit), and way smaller than the ranges in use in the 64 bit world space. I just picked 10km because even a Constellation is a tiny dot for actual rendering at that range. Detection ranges probably do need to be a bit larger and closer to 20km, if the really big ships like the Idris or Javelin actually become playable. But the overall point is you hit a certain distance away from the camera and you are no longer trying to render the ship, and its range becomes moot.

Detecting the ship I suppose is interacting with it, but is a very passive experience.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Line of Defence update:

Fell over
Accidentally quit game instead of options menu

So far so good

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

aleksendr posted:

Nah. I have solid rules regarding PC game purchase : Buy 3 weeks after launch, No kickstarters, no early access for the first 3 months (to see the pace of progress and the % chance of it being complete some day), no founder packs or lifetime membership. If it has a season pass i will get it as a GOTY on next year STEAM sales, DLC only if on sale below 50% of original asked price. No Ubisoft or EA titles unless heavily discounted (Below 5$). Those rules saved me from most recent years debacles (Starbound, Archeage, the last Batman game to name a few)

I know i miss some fun and the "community" effect on many game but I'm down for 0$ in SC and wont be in for more untill its a real game that can be reviewed.

I'm mostly here because this is fascinating how you can raise 100M on promises alone and for the fun of the arguments while playing space enginners or Age of Wulin between thread pages. Seriously considering getting Elite if Horizon get good review and add enough content.. Also "From the depths" is a fun "Build lego and them have fights wiyh them" kind of game.
These are good rules.

Kerbal Space Program kinda lulled me on Early Access stuff, and I found myself eyeing all kinds of "promising" poo poo after experiencing the glory of its development. Luckily Starbound and Star Drive kicked me in the balls hard enough to cure me of that nonsense.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

kikkelivelho posted:

That's a negative

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nalin posted:

Well, to be fair, some of this poo poo really DID break Windows 10 and caused it to fail to boot up.

Sure, fine. Then you display a bigass dialog saying 'hey plz accept removal of this'

That's the whole issue with Microsoft, they have an opt-out (if you dare) mentality

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Line of Defence update:

Music is in D# and nice to play along to

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

aleksendr posted:

I'm mostly here because this is fascinating how you can raise 100M on promises alone and for the fun of the arguments while playing space enginners or Age of Wulin between thread pages. Seriously considering getting Elite if Horizon get good review and add enough content.. Also "From the depths" is a fun "Build lego and them have fights wiyh them" kind of game.

Sounds like someone bought the Star Trek Lifetime Subscription, bought into Peter Molynuex's recent game, and wasted money on other early kickstarters like Star citizen.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

tooterfish posted:

These are good rules.

Kerbal Space Program kinda lulled me on Early Access stuff, and I found myself eyeing all kinds of "promising" poo poo after experiencing the glory of its development. Luckily Starbound and Star Drive kicked me in the balls hard enough to cure me of that nonsense.

You take that back. Star Bound and Star Drive are.. games! They deserve respect of some kind! I dont know what kind, but its gotta be some kind!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

peter gabriel posted:

Line of Defence update: Music is in D# and nice to play along to

I only played LoD:Tactics (Demo) a bit. And it appeared to be a solid little game (think Jagged Alliance in space). Considering it's from an indie team and also targeted at mobile devices.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Line of Defence update VLOG - at end I wanted to exit menu not game plz fix Derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JptEHDxLNeY

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I only played LoD:Tactics (Demo) a bit. And it appeared to be a solid little game (think Jagged Alliance in space). Considering it's from an indie team and also targeted at mobile devices.

I need to play that I hear good things
Line of Defence is OK, pretty chill game. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If we can get a bunch of goons in LoD at once I will do it. I emailed Derek's people and they gave me goon access.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
No carebears allowed though

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

Sounds like someone bought the Star Trek Lifetime Subscription, bought into Peter Molynuex's recent game, and wasted money on other early kickstarters like Star citizen.

The only time i jumped my own guidelines was for Shadowrun Dragonfall since Harebrain managed to deliver pretty much what they had promised for Shadowrun Returns. I also backed Shadowrun Hongkong for the same reasons but i'm not backing the Battletech project since that licenced IP could be snatched away from them very easily. Also the last game that tried the same concept ended up as unreleased past beta putrid garbage (Fleecing all the backers and "founders" along the way).

I was at a time one click away from getting a LOTRO lifetime founder pack but my then (now wife) girlfriend talked me out of it.

She did also convince me to dress up as an Elf for a larp once.

Ah, the things we do for love..

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

DONT LEAVE YOUR WRAPPERS AROUND OUR DESK BEN

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

ZenMaster posted:

Why is the camera at a dutch angle?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ZenMaster posted:

Gravity sucking those paper balls in there

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Sarsapariller posted:

Counterpoint: it's pretty fun and will only get more fun please buy some ships with my referral code.

Seriously though, I've had my face pretty close to the bug-ridden mess for the last couple weeks, closer than most people in this thread, and I am just not feeling the pessimism about the technical side. Yeah the management is hilariously greedy and inept, no doubt, and a lot of the proposed mechanics are retarded, but the stuff that is actually in the game is pretty good. I truly do not give a poo poo if it is 64 or 32 bit- I can fly where I want in a big space sandbox and jump in and out of ships, and the rest is just semantics. They've made a decent foundation on which to build an actual game- the question on my mind is will they be able to deliver in the next year, or are they going to go dark after December and not pop up again until next Fall? I suspect, and this is really only a guess, that based on recent patches and communications we're out of whatever woods they were wandering in for most of 2015, and barring another bottom-up rewrite we'll probably be moving forward with content generation now.

More my problem is, I feel this should have been the point at which the game should have been at years ago. We've seen what can happen with more competent video game studios building nearly the same type of game and there's just more to show for it. I've poked around with this janky mess since the arena and I'm not really sold on the whole of it, especially given the pace of development and the dates they promised.

Sure, they've got a foundation, but a foundation four years in? This seems a bit late to the party.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
just posting in anticipation of lowtax and derek smart battling evil together

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ZenMaster posted:

Those were the receipts for Ben's breakfast and second breakfast.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
holey poo poo

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

theultimo posted:

The building leans a little to the Ben

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

theultimo posted:

It's probably the table made out of firewood and MiGs.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

FatherChristmas posted:

Sure, they've got a foundation, but a foundation four years in? This seems a bit late to the party.

90M$, 300 people (who know how many man-hours at this point ?), 10 webseries, 4 mocap studios, developpment across 3 countries with 4 offices.

Its like John Romero heading Duke Nukem Forever with the help of Peter Molyneux.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
So thanks to this thread I got into Space Engineers today. Just did a seamless planetary takeoff from the moon towards the earth. I'm not sure my dudes oxygen will last long enough to make it home though :ohdear:

Think I prefer it even to Kerbal as it's more survival/crafting and less orbital physics.

Bit janky though but usually in hilarious ways.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3BfpU6TH0k

At 5:30

"This week we've kicked off discussions on jump point travel....we have our Stanton system we're fleshing out...we're starting to think about with the Levksy landing zone coming out, how are we going to get to Nix...so we're toying around with some different ideas...we're starting to really dive down into how that's going to work functionally in game...we have a lot of cool artwork for how it's going to look...so were trying to figure out how to implement that...
so that's pretty interesting that we're now kicking that off..."

Does that just mean the two sectors aren't close and there is a bunch of stuff in between that won't be filled so they need a workaround to connect those two zones, or they literally don't know how to connect two large zones yet? Wasn't sure...

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
E: wrong threqd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

Line of Defence update VLOG - at end I wanted to exit menu not game plz fix Derek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JptEHDxLNeY

Did your ESC key break or something?

btw, I noticed a bug in that video. When you landed with that HAIS MK2 suit, there are two musical tracks playing on top of each other. That's new. Will research.

• Locked thread