Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Byolante posted:

I don't understand how not using an american bank will save you from a dude firing a rocket at you from a parachute.

While this might be possible down under, sovereign states kinda do it differently.

(Never without announcing the sponsors)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The arrested include the presidents of CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, who would have thought that those guys could be involved in any wrongdoing?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/report-fifa-officials-subject-pre-dawn-raids-35547603

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

is fifa nothing but presidents

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just disband FIFA and start again.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

All the candidates are corrupt and fail

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

atomic gog posted:

I hope the 8 extra spots go to uefa

That's where they should go. Or maybe one to conmebol and 7 to UEFA.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
If I was in charge I'd keep it at 32 teams but have loads more playoffs everyone loves a playoff. Keep the ratio of places the same but have 16 teams auto qualify and a further 32 teams compete in unseeded, ungeographically separated playoffs, just all the teams drawn out of a big ole pot.

If anything the current system is unfair on 3rd tier UEFA teams who never get to qualify despite being better than various teams that swan through to every world cup by virtue of being in a continent full of duff teams.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
My other idea is random wildcard confederation transfers every qualification cycle, a couple of teams drawn from each confederation would have to compete in another continents qualifiers that time round. USA forced to play in UEFA while Ireland knock 10 past caribbean teams, Serbia rocking up in sub saharan Africa and so on.

Vote for me as FIFA president.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Organize every team in the entire world into one big football pyramid. Have regionally separated leagues at the very bottom for the tiny teams with no money to travel, but everyone else can go anywhere. Have promotion and relegation. Every four years, the top 16 teams automatically qualify for the World Cup regardless of their geographic origin and the next 32 teams have seeded playoffs to decide the other 16 spots. FIFA's massive amounts of money will be used to subsidize teams' increased travel expenses.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Blue Star Error posted:

If I was in charge I'd keep it at 32 teams but have loads more playoffs everyone loves a playoff. Keep the ratio of places the same but have 16 teams auto qualify and a further 32 teams compete in unseeded, ungeographically separated playoffs, just all the teams drawn out of a big ole pot.

If anything the current system is unfair on 3rd tier UEFA teams who never get to qualify despite being better than various teams that swan through to every world cup by virtue of being in a continent full of duff teams.

I do think there is value of guaranteeing a decent sized representation from all the continents. I do think the goal of giving more resources and prominence to places which don't have the clout and resources of UEFA is laudable.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Munin posted:

I do think there is value of guaranteeing a decent sized representation from all the continents. I do think the goal of giving more resources and prominence to places which don't have the clout and resources of UEFA is laudable.

I agree but at the same time it would be ridiculous to see teams that would struggle to come 4th in UEFA groups get to the World Cup and get spanked 5 nil in every game. My hypothetical playoff system gives continents a chance to increase their representation but they have to do it by winning football matches rather than whining to Daddy Sepp.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just disband FIFA and start again.

Every time there's a new round of arrests I wonder how many people actually work in FIFA and the various confederations. At the rate executives are getting arrested it feels like they're going to have trouble operating at some point.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Blue Star Error posted:

My other idea is random wildcard confederation transfers every qualification cycle, a couple of teams drawn from each confederation would have to compete in another continents qualifiers that time round. USA forced to play in UEFA while Ireland knock 10 past caribbean teams, Serbia rocking up in sub saharan Africa and so on.

Vote for me as FIFA president.

Will you keep the job longer than you did as moderator of this forum?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Suqit posted:

lol probably not. Although the pay would be better.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"Fifa is not corrupt, and neither am I, insists acting president Issa Hayatou ". I didn't think Bagdadbobing it will work Issa. Also it sounds like a confession.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
Fifa did nothing wrong, these arrests are unnecessary. let's enjoy these sick as gently caress world cups in *checks google* qatar and russia?!

ho boy *begins tugging nervously on collar as sweat beads on forehead*

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that hotel should start offering some kind of deal to football execs lol

to think, they could probably escape the feds by just considering staying at a four-star hotel on expenses

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blue Star Error posted:

I agree but at the same time it would be ridiculous to see teams that would struggle to come 4th in UEFA groups get to the World Cup and get spanked 5 nil in every game.

gently caress you, Scotland need all the help they can get

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I like having confederation qualifications. Don't want to see Europe v South America every four years. Plus it's not like Sweden or Ireland or Colombia are gonna win the thing anyway so from the audiences perspective I like the way it works now.

Edit: no more than 32 team though God

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

world cup should be a 128 team unseeded single elimination knockout tournament

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Azerban posted:

world cup should be a 128 team unseeded single elimination knockout tournament

Canada will still lose to Guam in the qualifiers.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Canada will still lose to Guam in the qualifiers.

so what

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Why not go all the way and make the World Cup a 209-team tournament? The current format is clearly discriminatory against nations of less wealth and skill and should be done away with. So what if the groups will have 26 teams each? Every nation deserves a chance to go toe-to-toe with the World Champions, even ones that have no chance to win like Mauritania or Brazil. And just think of how much they could charge for TV rights to blockbuster matches like Seychelles vs Maldives! The possibilities are truly endless.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Abolish club football, continental tournaments and international friendlies. Create a World League with 200 participants, where one season lasts 8 years. Regularly watch games like Spain vs Vanuatu.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

vyelkin posted:

Organize every team in the entire world into one big football pyramid.

I think the problem is that it's been a pyramid scheme for quite some time now...

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shoren posted:

Why not go all the way and make the World Cup a 209-team tournament? The current format is clearly discriminatory against nations of less wealth and skill and should be done away with. So what if the groups will have 26 teams each? Every nation deserves a chance to go toe-to-toe with the World Champions, even ones that have no chance to win like Mauritania or Brazil. And just think of how much they could charge for TV rights to blockbuster matches like Seychelles vs Maldives! The possibilities are truly endless.

So you'd like the current system to stand then?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

They released the names of all the arrested people and they are all small time third world nobodies, fail rear end feds if you ask me

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Suqit posted:

*BSE takes one look at the FIFA Exco message board*

I'm oot.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Simone Poodoin posted:

They released the names of all the arrested people and they are all small time third world nobodies, fail rear end feds if you ask me

I'm sure it's because these guys are the dumb criminals they are hoping will roll on the smart ones, or as we all know them, UEFA.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Byolante posted:

I don't understand how not using an american bank will save you from a dude firing a rocket at you from a parachute.

I got this reference and I appreciate it.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Simone Poodoin posted:

ESPN says they arrested the heads of CONMEBOL and CONCACAF

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

ayb posted:

ESPN says they arrested the heads of CONMEBOL and CONCACAF

Yes, the racist feds targeting only hispanics and other minorities :911:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Honj Steak posted:

Hidden escape tunnels?

discount on service to shred all the documents in their room that the police didn't seize, and to pack their leftover belongings into a fedex bin and ship it home

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Lutha Mahtin posted:

discount on service to shred all the documents in their room that the police didn't seize, and to pack their leftover belongings into a fedex bin and ship it home

At th very least they can ensure the sheets they hold up to block identities are the finest 10,000 thread count Egyptian cotton

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FIFA's acting president has this poo poo under control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaUn2VBXtzs

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Congratulations to Fat Lowtax, the new AFA president.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/sports/soccer/judge-in-fifa-scandal-arrested-when-cruise-ship-docks-in-florida.html

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This case is story of the year, god drat.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dude looks like Carlo Ancelotti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Funny thing about the judge is that two things had to happen to arrest a foreign government official.

Either the US talked to the Guatamalan government and they said "go ahead." Or Loretta Lynch (or more likely Obama) said, "gently caress it, bring him in."

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 4, 2015