Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
wait wait wait, when the thermite part starts cutting, you can just shoot it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Keket posted:

wait wait wait, when the thermite part starts cutting, you can just shoot it?

If it's not reinforced, yeah

You shouldn't use thermite against non-reinforced walls, ever

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
You can shoot regular breach charges too but they're not so obvious. I've gotten a few from listening to sound cues, though.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Is there any way to do a standard hunt on the university map without all the yellow fog? I like the layout of the map but hate that you cant see 5 feet in front of you.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I gotta play with some Goons. It's so infuriating to set up a good line of sight, and have pubbies wiggle side-to-side in front of you.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Plan Z posted:

I gotta play with some Goons. It's so infuriating to set up a good line of sight, and have pubbies wiggle side-to-side in front of you.

Goons do this too, a lot

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Brasseye posted:

Is there any way to do a standard hunt on the university map without all the yellow fog? I like the layout of the map but hate that you cant see 5 feet in front of you.

Nope. Isn't it just the bank map with some slight alterations anyway?

Plan Z posted:

I like when they do this while I'm firing bursts down a hallway and then complain about friendly fire.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thermite is a bad un-barred wall breacher anyways because the long cutting animation is a huge giveaway that you are coming in from that direction.

That being said, Thermite with additional breaching charges is great for anyone that wants a direct, linear path to the objective

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That being said, Thermite with additional breaching charges is great for anyone that wants a direct, linear path to the objective

Please don't ever do this. Thermite is one of only 2 operators with frag grenades - use them.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

OctaMurk posted:

Goons do this too, a lot

I am so guilty of this

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dezztroy posted:

Please don't ever do this. Thermite is one of only 2 operators with frag grenades - use them.

Of course I'm joking, plowing your way through six walls is the best way to announce exactly where you are coming from.

I do wish that you could pick hostage or bomb mode rather than having it playlisted; you have to approach hostage way differently than bomb

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

You can. Also Sledge is the way to go for making a path to the objective, and he still gets frags.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Dezztroy posted:

Please don't ever do this. Thermite is one of only 2 operators with frag grenades - don't throw them at the hostage.

Fixed

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Another word of warning: Despite what you may think, putting a cluster charge directly on top of the hostage will not make the grenades go "everywhere but on top of the hostage because it shoots them out to the sides".

You know who you are.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Liberatore posted:

You can. Also Sledge is the way to go for making a path to the objective, and he still gets frags.

I may be biased because of always picking Sledge, but I think Sledge may be the most underrated attacker.

There is always a Mute on defense, so he's great for breaching. You get frag grenades, and two of the best weapons in the L85 and the Mac-11, which are both headshot machines.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I saw in the news that putin is calling for a broad unified international cooperative against terrorism. If that's not the perfect setup for the coolest Rainbow 6 campaign story ever, I don't know what is.

It's just too bad Ubisoft killed this franchise after Raven Shield.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

OctaMurk posted:

Still thinking about buying this or Squad but I haven't been able to decide yet especially since I have finals and poo poo for the next two weeks. Evolve died really fast, so far do you guys see longevity in this game, like do you think any of you will be playing it two months from now?

This game isn't really like Squad at all in terms of the core gameplay. Get whichever one interests you more, large open engagements with mixed units, or a small, tight team shooter. Either of these games could be dead two months after release. For Siege, I haven't really seen evidence that Ubisoft has good anti-cheat technology in place, and that's often the death of otherwise solid shooters that don't have private servers. For Squad, it's just entering early access with a development team that's mostly former BF2 modders, projects like these stall out or implode often and easily.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Kaddion posted:

You get frag grenades, and two of the best weapons in the L85 and the Mac-11, which are both headshot machines.

I've ranted at length about this to you guys I've been playing with, but for the thread: the SMG-11 is absolutely insane, use it. It shits out rounds incredibly fast and drops people even faster, with so little recoil it's, as Kadd says, a headshot machine. I treat it as my primary when I play anyone SAS.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Wakko posted:

This game isn't really like Squad at all in terms of the core gameplay. Get whichever one interests you more, large open engagements with mixed units, or a small, tight team shooter. Either of these games could be dead two months after release. For Siege, I haven't really seen evidence that Ubisoft has good anti-cheat technology in place, and that's often the death of otherwise solid shooters that don't have private servers. For Squad, it's just entering early access with a development team that's mostly former BF2 modders, projects like these stall out or implode often and easily.

I have the utmost confidence in Squad succeeding. The people who love PR, really love PR, me included.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Siege uses FairFight, so basically the same as BF4 and such. PB is a joke and so is VAC 3, the only things that keep cheating in check on a large scale are systems like FairFight and CS:GO's Overwatch.

Also, it's obviously not something you see publicized but there's already been a fairly big number of bans in Siege. Mainly through FairFight screenshots, but still.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 3, 2015

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Liberatore posted:

Also, it's obviously not something you see publicized but there's already been a fairly big number of bans in Siege. Mainly through FairFight screenshots, but still.

What is the fairfight screenshot button? I want this prick who keeps taking down my barricaded doors to face justice

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jerkface posted:

What is the fairfight screenshot button? I want this prick who keeps taking down my barricaded doors to face justice

Stop putting your doors between bomb rooms it makes no sense

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Never!!!!!!!!

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

So only one person in a party has to be level 20 for the entire party to be able to play ranked.

Regardless, nobody is loving playing it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jesus this, if they breach A they aren't going to move on and try to attack B and vice-versa. Putting a door there just slows down your own team and no one else.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Some guy on twitch was throwing a fit he got fairfight banned for using pulse to shoot people through walls

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Dead Like Rev posted:

Some guy on twitch was throwing a fit he got fairfight banned for using pulse to shoot people through walls

He posted about it on reddit, a ubi employee came in and said he was verified cheating some other way and had nothing to do with Pulse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3v3vvt/psa_playing_pulse_gets_you_banned_by_fairfight/

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

This, please. The only time it's acceptable is if you shoot out parts of the adjoining wall so you can shoot in.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
I can't help but think of Margaret Thatcher when I see that operator.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

He posted about it on reddit, a ubi employee came in and said he was verified cheating some other way and had nothing to do with Pulse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/3v3vvt/psa_playing_pulse_gets_you_banned_by_fairfight/

He has 5 or 6 VAC banned accounts on Steam and looking the name up in Google results in multiple videos with him blatantly cheating in various games (seems like a couple from the CoD franchise anyway).

But no, guys, he wasn't hacking, just playing the game like it was meant.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 3, 2015

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

This is hilarious.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

BUT GUYS I WASNT HACKING

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Okay, working my way through the Situations and, surprise surprise, I am very bad at this game. Got through the first two on Realistic, but then I had to bump it down to Normal for the next two. Not even going to attempt online yet. Kinda regretting unlocking Glaz since "long range" isn't really a big thing in this game. Also because I'm still bad.

Still having fun though. Just gotta adjust those twitch shooter instincts some more.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Static Rook posted:

Okay, working my way through the Situations and, surprise surprise, I am very bad at this game. Got through the first two on Realistic, but then I had to bump it down to Normal for the next two. Not even going to attempt online yet. Kinda regretting unlocking Glaz since "long range" isn't really a big thing in this game. Also because I'm still bad.

Still having fun though. Just gotta adjust those twitch shooter instincts some more.

The GlazGun is still really great at medium-range if you have the magnifier off. It's a two-hit kill. And at close range it has a high enough ROF that you can still hipfire and hope for the best.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Two more people need to get in mumble!

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Apparently you can throw back grenades and the reason I know this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3uqInuYfFs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Static Rook posted:

Beating anything on Realistic puts you above half of the playerbase, don't sweat it.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Liberatore posted:

Apparently you can throw back grenades and the reason I know this is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3uqInuYfFs

That is a national treasure. Priceless.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Glaz's gun is super good and being able to accurately pop a guy inside a room from outside it at range is useful more often than I expected. I've taken to mainly playing him on attack except on a few maps.

I love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

On the airplane map I had a match where glaz sat outside all game and forced us all to crawl everywhere, and 4 minutes in I figured he must have gotten bored of sitting out there and stood up and got instantly shot in the head. It was pretty effective I guess?

• Locked thread