Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I did not know Lisa Frank was left handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It's nice to see Lisa Frank developing a camera for left handed ravers.

E: gently caress. Didn't see there was a new page. Aw poo poo, my throwaway joke! :negative:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

reddit posted:

Please don't edit my work without written consent. It's copyrighted, and by retouching it, you're in violation of that copyright. I'm not trying to be an rear end here, it's just a bit disrespectful to take other peoples' work and work on it without asking them first.

As for why it's so flat, I wanted to maintain the midtones as much as possible, to get a full dynamic range. In my edit, I have one white spot, and one black spot, but it's not overwhelming on either side. Your edit hits the whites hard and the darks hard. Sure the extra contrast is nice, but it's not maintaining tonal detail.

reddit posted:

I'm not trying to be rude here, I just have work to protect. I'd think that if any place would be supportive of the work of others, it's be a subreddit populated by photographers. Either way, I'm happy to abide by your speculations on it.

Because the copyright of the image is new (created this morning), I'm unable to provide the actual certificate of copyright for the image. However, you can file an inquiry for the image at your local copyright office. The Claim number is 1-2905925101, filed at 9:43am PT on 11/24/2015.

Frankly, I've had images stolen from me a year or so ago, and decided it'd be best to autocopyright anything I publish. Doing this has netted be over $9K over the last year in copyright infringements. This is advice I'd suggest you all take to protect your work from theft. Unfortunately, we live in a culture now that doesn't think to credit artist or respect their work, so copyright infringement is rampant.

However, my intentions aren't to sue the living poo poo out of people on reddit. My purpose of gaining copyright on my images is to protect my work from publications and other commercial outlets. Does it bother me that people are taking my image and editing it without asking me? Yeah, a little...but purely because of the latter portion.

As for my image being flat, my monitor self calibrated itself this morning, and has a contrast ratio of 1000:1. It also covers 99% of AdobeRGB color space, and 100% of sRGB. My monitor indicates exactly how I wanted the image to look, which was contrast while maintaining detail.

reddit posted:

I appreciate your input on the topic, but let me further reiterate my point once again. As I've stated multiple times since my original comment, I have no intentions of suing anyone for their actions here. I am fully aware and fully understand the repercussions of sharing images on the internet. However, I've never visited a forum before where this kind of behavior is allowed. Often, many of them (POTN, DPReview, and others for example) have a setting in your profile where you can allow others to edit your images or not.

I'm an editor of two very large publications on photography and have been a writer and/or editor for the majority of publications on the field of photography over the last five years. So after having an incredibly large amount of my images stolen, misused, and mishandled in the past, I've learned to take this topic very seriously. I even went as far to mention this to other colleagues in the industry, to check if I was being irrational. Quite literally everyone I've spoken to agreed that this is a very bizarre rule to have. The people I questioned about this were all professionals in the field of photography, writing, or retouching. The rule itself seems really odd and disrespectful to the work of others. That said, I'm not the rule maker here, and I'm perfectly content with sharing my work elsewhere if that is what I need to do.

reddit posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree, and will refrain from posting here in the future.

All in response to this edited example based on a suggestion another poster made about the photo not being so flat:

after this original photo was posted in an image critiquing thread by the photographer:

Due to the Streisand effect, this wound up happening:
http://i.imgur.com/TJhE1pR.gifv

Doggles fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 25, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is why the internet is awesome.

Terrible things become amazing.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
the flat one looks better

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You got the reddit link?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dren posted:

the flat one looks better

Nah

bobmarleysghost posted:

You got the reddit link?

https://www.reddit.com/r/itookapicture/comments/3u4far/itap_of_an_old_friend_while_hiking_together/

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
you can post a picture of anything(except girls)

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Nice job cutting off that elbow, Mr. editor of two very large publications on photography

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Does a photograph cease to function with a cropped elbow?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

KinkyJohn posted:

Nice job cutting off that elbow, Mr. editor of two very large publications on photography

He got her relevent pair of assets in frame and thats all that matters.

the editor and telling his colleagues about someone editing his photo are stdh

E: It might just be me but in the flat photo my eyes are drawn to her tattoo but in the edit I'm drawn to her face so the edited one is 100% better,

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He opened himself up to nitpicking details when he went ballistic about his copyright and started blabbing about his professional career as if it gives his opinion more merit than anyone else's.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Also apparently his top rated comment is one where he edited someone else's photo without their consent.
What a hypocrite.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Thanks for posting that. I've spent the last 20 minutes at work enjoying his hypocritical salty baby tears.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I edit two huge photography publications as well:
"lovely Portraits Monthly" & "Whiny Babies Who Need to Shut the gently caress Up Quarterly"

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

try it with a lime posted:

Does a photograph cease to function with a cropped elbow?

Yes it literally ceases to exist. All that you're seeing is the faint after image still imprinted on your brain.

What I meant was that an editor of Two Very Large Publications On Photography should know that in general amputating people's limbs is distracting.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

The internet is dark and full of terror, so we've fiercely watermarked/reduced quality! Your calendar images will be vastly different from the quality you see below!

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

I think we need a contest week based on Lisa Frank.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Her legs are glowing like one of those lamps that are shaped like legs.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The original video is gone but it reminds me of Hillixia
Sorry for the guy being funny in his room format, but it's really worth sitting through it for the sheer pedestrian insanity. Hillixia really is the best photographer's project.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2015/12/01/flickrs-top-25-photos-in-2015/

guys the 25 best photos of 2015 have been chosen!!!!! by the best photographers of course

The Game by Max Gor, on Flickr

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Mido posted:

guys the 25 best photos of 2015 have been chosen!!!!! by the best photographers of course

That man looks like he really has to take a poo poo.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I like how he's clearly shouting "PERSIA" but if I were the photographer I would've chosen a different font and maybe made it bigger with an exclamation point

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Good to see the bot favouriting power users so heavily represented amongst the makers of best photos.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mido posted:

Is that the photographer in the reflection in the window? Where did this idea come from that you have to be looking away from your camera and away from what you're shooting in order to make a great shot? lovely "amazing!!11!!!!1!" photos and making-of-lovely-amazing-photos series often seem to show this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Is that the photographer in the reflection in the window? Where did this idea come from that you have to be looking away from your camera and away from what you're shooting in order to make a great shot? lovely "amazing!!11!!!!1!" photos and making-of-lovely-amazing-photos series often seem to show this.

Don't think so, think that's someone inside the restaurant.

You can see the photographer's reflection though, he's wearing blue.

I want to know why that dude is so angry about a chess game that is apparently three moves old.

Also it's nice to have confirmation that the secret to getting onto "best of" lists is producing uninspired clones of poo poo that everyone else does.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ExecuDork posted:

To attract less attention when shooting strangers I guess ?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dunno what upsets me more, that crazy 'sitting cross legged while jamming my hand between the legs' position, or the maclaren buggy inside.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Don't think so, think that's someone inside the restaurant.

You can see the photographer's reflection though, he's wearing blue.

I want to know why that dude is so angry about a chess game that is apparently three moves old.

Also it's nice to have confirmation that the secret to getting onto "best of" lists is producing uninspired clones of poo poo that everyone else does.

He's not angry he's just cold (stuffing hands between legs for warmth) and yawning

it's a seriously awkward shot

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
It's just two bored retirees waiting for the sweet embrace of death.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

waiting for the sweet embrace of death.

same

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Those photos were picked by the flickr algo, it's based off of likes and comments and such.

quote:

The photos were scored by an algorithm that calculates a combination of social and interactive elements, including how often the photo had been faved and viewed, among numerous others.

It's still bad.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It's (likes + comments)/views + group engagement * offsite links - aspect ratio of the photo

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Sometimes flickr depresses me but then I remember that I'm going to die.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dren posted:

It's (likes + comments)/views + group engagement * offsite links - aspect ratio of the photo

You forgot the HDR quotient.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

try it with a lime posted:

Sometimes flickr depresses me but then I remember that I'm going to die.

when you'r feeling down just go to 500px and search "russia" and refill your male gaze goblet until it runneth over

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mido posted:

The guy who took this photo, Max Gor, favourited one of the photos I put up last night. It currently has 16 views.

:tinfoil: The Best Photographer is inside the thread!

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

ExecuDork posted:

The guy who took this photo, Max Gor, favourited one of the photos I put up last night. It currently has 16 views.

He also favorited this and this, which is possibly nsfw?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

He likes my boring pics every now and then too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I need to write a flickr script that gets my notoriety way up like this guy.