Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I want a Radical Islam Pro Skater where I get multipliers from Extreme Jihad with my 180 McOllie Kickflips as I do infinite grinds on circular railings, but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the administration doesn't need to take any action, domestically, to protect americans from islamic terrorism because it's so rare

the fact that most americans are more scared of muslims than white people with guns just demonstrates how the the fears of many are just a bigoted farce

Even though I agree with this reasoning, it completely misses the point of why the public is scared. This incident is a perfect example of why people are scared shitless.

When a white dude with a gun shoots up an elementary school, a black church or a Planned Parenthood, the subsequent investigation almost always leads to the cause as being, that dude was loving crazy. But here, you have a seemingly sane and stable young man and his wife, with a newborn child, slaughtering innocent people and the only explanation that law enforcement can put forward is, they might have been radicalized. I mean come on, I said yesterday that the most plausible explanation for this was going to be the redneck, duck dynasty Bubba refrain of "fuckin muslims, am I right". And here we are and that's the only explanation that's coming out of this. People are scared of muslim terrorism because they can't explain it, they don't understand it, and there is no way to explain it in a soundbite.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why is people snapping for seemingly no reason somehow more comforting that religious extremism?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

radical meme posted:

When a white dude with a gun shoots up an elementary school, a black church or a Planned Parenthood, the subsequent investigation almost always leads to the cause as being, that dude was loving crazy.

Mass murdering a bunch of innocent people requires a person be "loving crazy".

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Less people died in all the mass shooting between 1999-2013 than all the victims of 9/11

On US soil, maybe? In Iraq, the real victims of 9/11, not even close.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NippleFloss posted:

I think it's funny to see people claim that literal constant bombardment with bombs and missiles is "doing nothing" but saying the words "radical Islam" is a bold and brave stand that is sure to cow our enemies into submission.

If only Obama was brave enough to speak the magical incantation, all of this terrorism would just go away!

It feels like doing nothing because Obama is fighting a WW1-like war of attrition without blockading ISIL's food supply, while the opposition promises to win the war on ISIL as if they were the Japanese in 1945.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Radbot posted:

Why is people snapping for seemingly no reason somehow more comforting that religious extremism?

Because true acceptance of the former may lead to meaningful reform that improves the lives on millions, but the latter will result in xenophobic nativist pogroms

v v v yes v v v

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Unzip and Attack posted:

So by that logic the Bush administration is "loving crazy"?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yes?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's not the same. People understand crazy. They don't understand religious radicalization that would cause people to slaughter innocent people.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

Gee, I wonder what reasons a Pakistani immigrant without appropriate vetting may have for operating an IED factory on the homeland.

I also wonder how long these individuals has been operation, and how many other potential IED's they potentially distributed before their terrorist attack.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

radical meme posted:

It's not the same. People understand crazy. They don't understand religious radicalization that would cause people to slaughter innocent people.

That last part is still a comment about Bush, right?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

radical meme posted:

So people understand the craziness that makes people murder dozens of innocents? What's this assertion based on?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

No.

The Bush admin was loving crazy for the same reason as the Adams' administration: NEVER SELECT A VEEP WHOSE POWERBASE CAN AND WILL OPERATE INDEPENDENT OF YOUR ADMINISTRATION'S AGENDA

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

A Winner is Jew posted:

If you start reaching for the Biblical story of Gog and Magog for thinking your invasion of Babylon Iraq is preordained, then yes.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

radical meme posted:

The distinction you're trying to make isn't convincing. The dude that shot up PP is no less scary because he's white. Normal, peaceful Muslims look at yesterday's shooters and think "those people are crazy" and they are 100% right.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

State action is slightly different than individual psyches.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

So people understand the craziness that makes people murder dozens of innocents? What's this assertion based on?

Common sense. Reality. Take your choice.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Unzip and Attack posted:

The distinction you're trying to make isn't convincing. The dude that shot up PP is no less scary because he's white. Normal, peaceful Muslims look at yesterday's shooters and think "those people are crazy" and they are 100% right.

I agree. But, the vast majority of the U.S. population doesn't agree with you.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

State action is slightly different than individual psyches.

Careful, Euphronius--- I've continued to make that argument, and get called a gimmick when I bring it up. Unfortunately, some individuals fail to understand that institutions are empowered with additional rights and responsibilities which they may neither enjoy nor deserve.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's funny because we literally declared a coming crusade and killed millions of Iraqis but THEY'RE the religion of violence and atrocity

George 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq' Dubbya Bush's legacy still going strong.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

It's funny because we literally declared a coming crusade and killed millions of Iraqis but THEY'RE the religion of violence and atrocity

George 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq' Dubbya Bush's legacy still going strong.

We went to war in Iraq to stop Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, not to kill millions of Iraqis in a crusade, you moonbat.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

I can't even. What the hell is going on here?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

My Imaginary GF posted:

We went to war in Iraq to stop Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, not to kill millions of Iraqis in a crusade, you moonbat.

:psyduck: Huh???

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's some loving revisionist history right there. I'd like to see a source that says we invaded Iraq to stop Iran.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I can't even. What the hell is going on here?

Look to the left of the middle image

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 3, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah, the killing of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and calling it a crusade was a side effect.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

radical meme posted:

Common sense. Reality. Take your choice.

Haha, OK Gramps.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I think he was being sarcastic. I think.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

No we went to war because Iraq had nuclear and chemical weapons, only they didn't and we knew it. Then when it obviously came out that none existed the looted the place like it was a 19th century African colony, socialized the cost while privatizing the rewards, passed the buck to a new guy and booked it hoping everybody would just ignore the whole thing because it was just so ugly

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Artificer posted:

I think he was being sarcastic. I think.

I expect people are being taken for a ride.

Successfully.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

the_paradigm_shift posted:

C'mon, you're better than this. He can tap into the GOP nativist id all he wants, translating that level of crazy to the general without ending up with a bunch of spite votes against you no matter who the opponent is not happening.

Republicans had Fear Of A Black President to drive the normally apathetic to the polls, and look where that got them. Fear Of A Yooge President may not work as well with the disaffected left, but with the current demographics it doesn't have to.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

On the Grassley amendment, the motion is not agreed to 53-46, the amendment fails.

We move on to the Manchin-Toomey amendment.

Manchin-Toomey failed 47-50. As did the Bennet (D-CO) amendment (something about VA construction) 47-52.

Now we move to the Paul (R-GG) amendment, which bans issuing visas to ~30 countries that he doesn't like. Senator Leahy rises to oppose it, calling it a "bumper sticker amendment".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Moktaro posted:

Republicans had Fear Of A Black President to drive the normally apathetic to the polls, and look where that got them. Fear Of A Yooge President may not work as well with the disaffected left, but with the current demographics it doesn't have to.

Also, Trump and the rest of the clown show puts a huge gaping hole into the republican talking point of "we're sane again, we promise" as to why they should hold the presidency again.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

My Imaginary GF posted:

In your storied career of being stupid and wrong, this must rank among the stupidest and most wrong things you've ever posted.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Y'all so busy tilting at trolls that you missed this new wrinkle from Trump.

Trump irks Jewish donors with comments on Mideast peace

quote:

The party’s 2016 front-runner openly questioned Israel’s commitment to the Mideast peace process in his remarks to the Republican Jewish Coalition, echoing comments he made the night before in an interview with The Associated Press. He drew boos after refusing to endorse Jerusalem as the nation’s undivided capital. And he suggested to the influential group simply wanted to install a puppet in the White House.

“You’re not going to support me even though you know I’m the best thing that could happen to Israel,” Trump said. “I know why you’re not going to support me — because I don’t want your money. You want to control your own politician.”

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

USPOL: it's been (x) days since the last mass shooting.

(adjust x as required)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

My Imaginary GF posted:

No.

The Bush admin was loving crazy for the same reason as the Adams' administration: NEVER SELECT A VEEP WHOSE POWERBASE CAN AND WILL OPERATE INDEPENDENT OF YOUR ADMINISTRATION'S AGENDA

Adams didn't select Jefferson, that was before the 12th amendment, and the very reason for the 12th

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There was some confusion on the floor as a deal was reached to increase the threshold for Paul's amendment to 60 votes, I presume because people want to be on record supporting it, but don't want it to pass.

Reminder: none of these are being signed into law because the underlying bill is a repeal of Obamacare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Adams didn't select Jefferson, that was before the 12th amendment, and the very reason for the 12th

Which goes to show how loving crazy Bush the younger was.

• Locked thread