Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you can buy a usb numpad if you want to be cool as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Well this is the furthest I've ever gotten in DoomRL to date, made it to Inferno, still alive. Taking a break now because I'm tired after several hours of playing. This is the first time I try an ammochain build and for most of the early game I didn't get it, even after getting ammochain. All I did was use my shotgun because it was still way safer and reliable. Now I get it though, as I can kill everything before they can even react so the shotgun is only there for radar shooting and some corner shooting when I know the enemy will punch my face in after getting too close. I'm using a nano plasma shotgun however so the corner shooting doesn't always work out... kinda hosed up there I guess because I dropped my tactical shotgun thinking I wouldn't need it anymore. Now if I could just get my hands on an onyx mod pack for some lava boots and get that lava element I might actually finish this run :v:

So I read that my accuracy is pretty bad with a plasma rifle with this build, should I stick with the gatling gun? To be honest I couldn't really tell the difference as I seem to be killing everything in maximum 3 hits anyways.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Favorite roguelikes you say?

1. Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode, especially in light of the newest update, which lets me form bands and wander from tavern to tavern singing horribly. I don't know if it strictly counts without a win condition, but I think that having a lot of intricately interacting systems counts for a lot.

2. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. I was introduced to it a few years ago and it was described as being more fair than Nethack. As someone who's not very good at roguelikes at all, this seems true; compared to Nethack where I was constantly looking things up, DCSS seems much more straightforward. The sheer variety of player options has kept me interested for hundreds of hours.

3. Nethack. It's the first roguelike I ever played, and it still has a special place in my heart. It's also the roguelike I've gotten the farthest in; I was level 15, had some artifact weapons, lots of resistances, gray dragon scale armor, then I sacrificed a gray unicorn on a neutral altar. Good times.

4. Crypt of the Necrodancer. Rhythm games and roguelikes don't seem like they would mix well, but they absolutely nailed it. You move, attack, and use items all to the beat of the song, and the enemies do the same. There's a pretty good assortment of characters, including one who dies if he touches money and one who dies if she misses a beat. If you have a bad sense of rhythm, you can also play as a character who ignores the rhythm aspect. You can also use your own music in the game, but the soundtrack is so good that I've never bothered.

5. Hoplite. It's a fairly minimalist mobile roguelike on a hexagonal grid. It's pretty fun.

6. Sproggiwood. I'm not very good at it, but I've been playing it on and off for a while and it's quite deep. You get special abilities that you can upgrade as you level up. You also accumulate gold that you keep when you die, and you can use it to buy armor and weapons that you can choose to start with if you're having a hard time.

7. The Binding of Isaac (+ Rebirth). This is where I go into roguelites, but as I've played hundreds of hours of these games combined, I couldn't leave them off in good conscience. Twin stick shooters where you can pick up lots of upgrades that interact in amusing ways. Rebirth is better than the original in every way.

8. Dungeon of the Endless. It's pretty as hell, first of all. It's a mix of real time and turn based; you can choose to open a door at any time, and when you do, you can find monsters you have to fight, or resources to gather, or all sorts of things. You can build modules in lit rooms that generate resources or damage enemies, but you might not have the resources to light up all the rooms at once, and monsters spawn in darkened rooms every turn. You start each floor in a room with a crystal, and the overall goal is to find the portal to the next floor and take the crystal to it. It's really good and you should check it out. It also has multiplayer that I've never tried.

9. FTL. You probably know about it, you have a spaceship that you're fleeing the rebel fleet with and your ultimate goal is to defeat the rebel flagship. You upgrade your weapons, shields, and other systems and collect more crew members as you go. It's quite addictive and I'm still mad that they never made an android port.

10. Full Mojo Rampage. It's a nice looking twin-stick shooter. It's another game that carries through some things after death so you can upgrade your character gradually as you go.

Honorable mentions: Nuclear Throne, Teleglitch, One Way Heroics, Delver, One More Dungeon, Coin Crypt, NEO Scavenger, Magicite, Don't Starve, Rogue Legacy, Risk of Rain, Spelunky, Eldritch, and Super House of Dead Ninjas.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

alarumklok posted:

10. Nuclear Throne - the coffeebreakest roguelike that ever rogueliked. Only lower than Risk of Rain because it doesn't have co-op

Nuclear Throne does have co-op. Even has two co-op mutations specific for it. However, when a friend and I tried it we kept confusing our crosshairs, since they aren't distinguished.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

PleasingFungus posted:

The only roguelike I really like that others haven't already mentioned is 868-HACK, which is a tiny gem of a game. I love it so much. It and Hoplite...

Yeah, if you like small, very tightly designed roguelikes, these two are top of the crop alongside Dream Quest and Desktop Dungeons.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

DraconicImpulse posted:

Nuclear Throne does have co-op. Even has two co-op mutations specific for it. However, when a friend and I tried it we kept confusing our crosshairs, since they aren't distinguished.

Yeah, I should have specified it has some co-op, local, which isn't a plus for me. I usually play online stuff because it's 3 hours to my nearest gamerbuddy.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Highblood posted:

So I read that my accuracy is pretty bad with a plasma rifle with this build, should I stick with the gatling gun? To be honest I couldn't really tell the difference as I seem to be killing everything in maximum 3 hits anyways.

I use plasma after I find it just because it ignores half of the armor of whatever I'm fighting, so I don't have to think and can just shoot. The main reason I can think of wanting accuracy on a burst weapon user (ammo efficiency) means nothing when it's always just one ammo, since you roll so many times to hit that you probably won't notice the difference.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Hoplite is probably the best game I have played on a phone. It's so tightly designed and rewarding, and it does a perfect job of making the main goal accessibly difficult while also offering tons of challenges for the determined.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tagichatn posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask, but do you guys have any recommendations for mid-range laptops with numpads? Super low spec games are pretty much the only thing my current laptop can play but it's a pain in the rear end to play roguelikes without a numpad.

I recommend instead that you purchase a bluetooth or USB numpad, because laptops with numpads are often tire fires

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

This might be the wrong place to ask, but do you guys have any recommendations for mid-range laptops with numpads? Super low spec games are pretty much the only thing my current laptop can play but it's a pain in the rear end to play roguelikes without a numpad.
Learn to use vi-keys, numpads are for casuals.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
A few posts back there was talk about DoomRL and DoomRPG, how do i get RL to work on GZdoom?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

fishmech posted:

I recommend instead that you purchase a bluetooth or USB numpad, because laptops with numpads are often tire fires
Tyrefyre is the new connector cable spec for the iPhone 7. The more you know.

apokaladle posted:

Favorite roguelikes you say?
1 -10
Honorable mentions: Like 30 more games.
Now how does Dungeonmans not make a list of games that includes Super House of God drat Dead Ninjas :colbert:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

fishmech posted:

That sounds good, thanks. I didn't realize they were so cheap.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone who has Dredmor on their list and hasn't played Dungeonmans needs to play Dungeonmans.

Actually anyone who hasn't played Dungeonmans needs to play Dungeonmans.

Dungeonmans.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rrussom posted:

A few posts back there was talk about DoomRL and DoomRPG, how do i get RL to work on GZdoom?

DoomRL is a roguelike based on doom, not a mod. Although I think there is now a DoomRL-based mod for Doom proper as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rrussom posted:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=37044 It's just a set of 3 wads. DoomRLArsenal<version number>.wad is all the gameplay changes and weapons, DoomRLArsenalHUD.wad lets you see what the new poo poo does, and the optional DoomRLMonsters<versionnumber>.wad adds a bunch of new difficulty levels and monsters beefed up for your cool new gear. Play it with all your favorite maps. You'll need a dev version of GZDoom because DoomRLA tends to be an early adopter for new DECORATE features and there hasn't been an official (G)ZDoom release in years.

DoomRPG is a seperate thingo that happens to be compatible with DoomRLA. It's a bit more complicated to setup (there's a launcher but it's kind of a piece of poo poo) and requires over a dozen frequently used keybinds to play. I hear it's great if it clicks for you but there's just too much downtime for me.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

DoomRL is a roguelike based on doom, not a mod. Although I think there is now a DoomRL-based mod for Doom proper as well.

Aye, i realize, i was just talking about the wad.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

Now how does Dungeonmans not make a list of games that includes Super House of God drat Dead Ninjas :colbert:

Because I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I'm gathering that I should, though.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

madjackmcmad posted:

super house of dead ninjas is p.cool game tho. (dungeonmans is good, too, and it was on the list I sent in)

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Another vote for the massive first post. I'd not played rougelikes (except things like FTL and Don't Starve) before I found it and started reading out of curiosity and it's a great resource for what to try out. I'm doing a short voting list because I'm still fairly new to this, but these are the ones that've worked for me:

1. Sil - I got some help watching silstreamer on youtube, that general introduction and how-to basic tactics is the biggest impediment to me playing more of the older RLs. Best attempt so far has me dying a few hundred feet into the ascent.
2. CoQ
3. Crypt of the Necrodancer
4. The Curious Expedition
5. FTL

Honourable mentions:
Sproggiwood
Don't Starve - I don't have the patience to hoard resources but the new co-op with people who do is great.
Invisible Inc
DoomRL - It's impressive but I can't take it seriously enough to play properly
Heavy Bullets

Future list:
Brogue - I really want to play it more because it's pretty and the world mechanics seem so deep but I'm lost in terms of how to approach it.
Cogmind - I just haven't gotten around to buying it yet.
Dungeonmans - Same.
TGGW - I want to give it a shot but there's no mac client

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tagichatn posted:

To echo what other people have said you'd be happier learning to use vi keys than having a numpad on the laptop. Most roguelikes do a really good job supporting it and most of the others are at least playable if not ideal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Don't starve seems super finicky to me, like there's tons of stuff you have to just do over and over forever. Presumably gets better but that ramp up seems killer. It feels like a game that's supposed to teach you to write scripts to automate annoying tasks and then they don't let you write scripts.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I can't get into Don't Starve because it's a roguelike that expects you to survive too long in a game about exploration and experimentation. I don't want to build a base and farm poo poo for like three hours only to try picking a fight with something I've never seen before and lose because I didn't know not to gently caress with it yet. Too much trial-and-error for a game where your characters last for hours, not minutes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Unlike in DCSS where your characters last only minutes during your first attempts at a 3 rune win.

Nice callouts for Hoplite. That game is definitely one of my favorites. I think so far all but one of my top 10 have been mentioned by others.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Don't starve seems super finicky to me, like there's tons of stuff you have to just do over and over forever. Presumably gets better but that ramp up seems killer. It feels like a game that's supposed to teach you to write scripts to automate annoying tasks and then they don't let you write scripts.

Yeah I was watching a Let's Play where a guy spend several hours continuously collecting logs and other crap, setting up and maintaining his camp, then on the 8th day or so a tentacle popped out of the ground and one-shotted him with maybe half a second to react. He was probably another good several hours away from actually having a good settlement setup too.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 3, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You understand it perfectly. The only interesting parts of Don't Starve are the aesthetic and the initial learning curve; it tests the poo poo out of knowledge and patience and next to nothing when it comes to skill / decision-making, and once you've got that down you're left with a better-looking Minecraft only you can't actually build poo poo.

It's cute, and bleak, and the music took longer for me to get tired of than it had any right to, and everything is puns. For those reasons I can't honestly say I hate it, and I've played it a lot, but it's super shallow.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah I was watching a Let's Play where a guy spend several hours continuously collecting logs and other crap, setting up and maintaining his camp, then on the 8th day or so a tentacle popped out of the ground and one-shotted him with maybe half a second to react. He was probably another good several hours away from actually having a good settlement setup too.

On the other hand this shouldn't really be taken as a fair impression of the game; it's really easy to avoid tentacles (they don't move and the warm-up animation of the attack is really long, so you can just keep walking and you'll be fine), and you'd only get one-shot if you were already hurt and not wearing armor. There are very few truly unfair mechanics in vanilla Don't Starve, although the expansion adds some serious bullshit. It's just that "fair" and "tedious" are not mutually exclusive.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 3, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The OP should identify each game by just describing a hilarious death.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

megane posted:

This would result in everyone playing IVAN.

I'm not saying whether this is a benefit or a drawback, mind.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

megane posted:

That or a gif, for sure.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Where is Vagante at completion wise?

And more people should play Towerclimb!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I tried Towerclimb and the tutorial was like 30 minutes of complex keyboard interactions so I gave up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

give me your copy of towerclimb then. its fine, ill wait for you to pull the 1s and 0s out of your computer

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Favorite Roguelikes eh?

I'm really bad at numbering Roguelikes so I'll just do my "top 10" without numbers

Armoured Commander - Not a traditional Roguelike (possibly more of a Roguelite) but this game where you play the commander of a Sherman tank in WW2 France is fun and challengingly brutal. Perhaps the one thing holding it back is combat gets pretty samey after a few games. I'm a little sad this isn't talked about around here that often, cause its a great game.

Doom Roguelike - Not very good at it, but it is amazing how a turn-based RL managed to perfectly capture the fast-paced action feel of Doom and just be an awesome RL in general.

Caves of Qud - Very little I could say that Angry Diplomat's quote in the CoQ thread OP doesn't say better.

Dungeonmans - A nice fun one, dig the soundtrack, humor is amusing without being annoying. Classes are interesting.

Cataclysm DDA - A fun sandbox RL, lots of crazy poo poo you can do in this game. Makes me wish there was a Mad Max-style RL similar to this.

Unreal World - Another amazing sandbox RL, and bonus points for being focused on something other than the usual combat-centric RPG adventure.

Brogue - Does some impressive stuff with its graphical style. I wish I was better at it.

Crypt of the Necrodancer - With an interesting gimmick, this RL is enjoyable, but oddly challenging for me, since I seem to have trouble holding the beat on certain songs.

Sub Commander - Similar to Armoured Commander, this game puts you in charge of one of several different submarines during a vague cold-war era period. You then go out and undertake certain missions but more often just try not to sink or melt your own nuclear reactors down.

Honorable Mention:

TOME - A Roguelike I bought a while back on steam and really want to get into more, but I always get intimidated by how massive and complex it seems and end up shelving it for something easier to wrap my head around.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honorable Mention:

TOME - A Roguelike I bought a while back on steam and really want to get into more, but I always get intimidated by how massive and complex it seems and end up shelving it for something easier to wrap my head around.

https://twitter.com/KirkSpaziani/status/647940518417170432

@KirkSpaziani posted:

Two rapid caves of qud deaths. Time to play @Dungeonmans so I don't have to think too hard.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
URW is a strange beautiful mystery of a game i love it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its simplicity is its strength Stremf. :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, I don't think I can do ten favourite roguelikes, but I can probably do five...

Top two are games I would unreservedly recommend, and I like both so much I can't even decide which one takes top billing.

1. DoomRL. It's fun as hell, has a pleasingly modern UI, and is accessible for newbies while still scaling up really well for veterans, thanks to a variety of difficulty levels, challenge modes, and optional conducts. It's not as polished as NecroDancer, but the fact that you can play it in a terminal, in short bursts, and without speakers counts for a lot. It's also a roguelike about shooting demons in the face with a plasma rifle, and there aren't enough of those. Best death: any of the times I went "yeah, I can totally take the Mortuary". Runner-up: that time I tried to punch out the Angel of Death.

1. Crypt of the NecroDancer. Holy gently caress, what can I say about this game that hasn't already been said and better? It's a great implementation of a great concept, and the soundtrack is goddamn fantastic. My partners and I between us have probably logged over 500 hours in this game and my 18-month-old son recognizes the splash screen and dances along to the music. If you're in this thread and you haven't played NecroDancer there's something wrong with you. Best death: walking into a shrine store and dropping a bomb on the shrines.

And now, the games that I love but can recommend only with reservations.

3. Caves of Qud. The UI needs work, it has some balance issues, and it's quite obviously unfinished. But it's also an awesomely over the top post-apocalyptic game where your two-headed crab man can get killed to death by its time-traveling evil twin's brain lasers. Best death: see above -- but there are a lot of strong contenders. Really, just read Angry Diplomat's post history.

4. Tales of Maj'Eyal. My main beef with this game is that it's way longer than it needs to be, and the further you get into the game, the more of a monotonous slog the dungeons get, even with autoexplore. That said, it is mechanically tight and its death-to-consumables design is something I wish other games would shamelessly copy in every respect learn from. Combine that with a wide variety of races and classes, and excellent class design that makes even traditionally boring fightery-type characters fun, and this is a solid choice even if it needs some fairly vicious editing. Best death: got a bit too good at keeping my Disruption Shield running as a mage, to the point that when it finally did overload and collapse, it vapourized everything in the room -- including me.

5. Dungeons of Dredmor. Between the inventory and crafting UIs, the lack of meaningful enemy variety, and the total non-support for modern high-res displays, I'm not sure I'd recommend this at all -- but on the other hand, I logged 170 hours in it, so it must be doing something right to make up for it. It's also the game that got my wife into roguelikes. It helps that it doesn't take itself at all seriously, and that its character creation system is fantastic -- and unique. The only other game I've seen attempting something even slightly similar is Dungeonmans, and the Dredmor approach is, IMO, much better. Best death: covering myself with gear and abilities that give me bonus attacks, then getting into melee with a boss that had a 100% counterattack rate and having all of my extra attacks proc at once, causing me to eat a huge pile of counterattacks.

Honourable Mention: Dungeonmans. Honestly, if I'd played this more, it might have displayed Dredmor from the #5 slot. It's funny, looks good, plays good, has a lot of Stuff, and supports a wide variety of character archetypes. It also has unlockable upgrades which persist across characters, something I really enjoy. The main reason I haven't is that it doesn't support Linux; while it works well in Wine, that adds just enough friction that I'm unlikely to choose it when playing a game on my laptop. But if you don't mind using Wine, or use Windows, it's definitely worth a look -- especially if, like me, you like Dredmor but find it hard to deal with the UI these days.
I'm also still not convinced that the "auto-identify items" upgrades have any value given that you also have a zero-cost "identify my entire inventory" button.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Has anyone played NecroDancer with a dance pad? That sounds like the most fun and frustrating thing ever.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
I haven't, but I've watched people playing on a dancepad at PAX East. It looked like it works pretty well, but it's kinda hard to say for sure when the people playing are novices at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Emergency posted:

Has anyone played NecroDancer with a dance pad? That sounds like the most fun and frustrating thing ever.

I have, it was fun but I was really bad at it for about one floor and then the toddler got wind of things and it was all over.

The biggest issue I have with it is that you basically have to remap everything when switching to/from dance pad controls, since it doesn't seem to automatically map it in any useful way.