Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
What the gently caress is Quorn. Just use actual veggies/whatever instead of imitation poo poo. The name doesn't even make sense, since corn is vegetarian, so is Quorn imitation corn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It's named after the place it was invented, which is tiny village in Leicestershire.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Quorn should sell their "chicken" as "Quornish hen." I'd eat it out of pun respect.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What the gently caress is Quorn. Just use actual veggies/whatever instead of imitation poo poo. The name doesn't even make sense, since corn is vegetarian, so is Quorn imitation corn?

It's a proprietary meat substitute based on a fungus. I usually use lentils but thought I'd give the Quorn mince a try. This was a mistake.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

It's a proprietary meat substitute based on a fungus. I usually use lentils but thought I'd give the Quorn mince a try. This was a mistake.

I'm assuming the lentils are for the texture. Do you spice it to taste like lamb somehow? I'd be curious to know what you'd use to do that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Marta Velasquez posted:

I'm assuming the lentils are for the texture. Do you spice it to taste like lamb somehow? I'd be curious to know what you'd use to do that.

The lentils form the body of the dish. It isn't really intended to be a meat substitute per se: it's just that's the closest analogue. I usually boil the lentils and diced carrots with stock, whole garlic cloves and bay leaves. Drain and mix with some smoked paprika, caramelised onions and herbs (oregano or herbs de Provence). Maybe add a bit of marmite for depth and umami. Top with mashed potato and cheese and bake until golden.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grabbed the wrong containers of stock out of the freezer earlier and managed to make a risotto with a pork bone, scallion / ginger and star anise stock I had saved for pho and other asian stuff.

It was pretty good in the end. The ginger and anise powered through a little bit but worked well with the mushroom, salami and peas I had in the risotto.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I used to do an "asian risotto" where I subbed everything for an Asian counterpart- sautéed ginger and shallot, calrose rice, deglaze with sake, dashi for stock and finish w coconut milk instead of cheese or butter. Really great with a piece of fish on top

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Coconut rice is loving delicious. Just toss in a big old splash of full-fat no-bullshit coconut milk with the cooking water. Simple as that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Marta Velasquez posted:

I've made vegetarian shepherd's pie multiple times and it can turn out pretty good! I made one with a bit of beer+lentils once, one with mushrooms and tofu, and one with just mushrooms. I found that nutritional yeast works to make it really taste like gravy. I hear nutritional yeast described as 'cheesy' but to me it's more of a gravy flavor. That plus onion and appropriate spices/herbs/salt and it tastes just right. I'm not sure if lentils+nutritional yeast would work, never tried it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pile of brown posted:

I used to do an "asian risotto" where I subbed everything for an Asian counterpart- sautéed ginger and shallot, calrose rice, deglaze with sake, dashi for stock and finish w coconut milk instead of cheese or butter. Really great with a piece of fish on top

That sounds great. I already had the other ingredients mise en place or I would have probably done something like this instead. I've got all this on hand so might try it out soon!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I hear nutritional yeast described as 'cheesy' but to me it's more of a gravy flavor.

Agreed! Very umami, but not all that cheesy.

Am I the only one that dislikes open-plan kitchens?

I feel like they are great for people who don't actually cook. I make a big mess when I cook, and I don't want to be shamed into cleaning while I cook.

Looks like I'm not the only one: (sorry for lovely clickbait link, I was just excited to find out that I wasn't the only one)
http://www.realtor.com/advice/home-improvement/open-plan-kitchens-are-bad/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I love this quote from a chef-turned-realtor that she spoke to

quote:

“People think they should love open-plan kitchens because they’ve been told to love them,” says Merson, who thinks galley-style kitchens are underrated. “They can be fine for low-impact prep like chopping, but real cooking is messy work and requires a great deal of concentration.”

lovely cook spotted, can't clean as he goes.

Open kitchens are great, closed kitchens are also great. I'd go for open because that's what I'm used to, and my dream home kitchen is literally a small commercial kitchen.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I like having a closed kitchen because it means I can escape there when I need a minute. "Oh I'm just gonna check on a thing."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I think my kitchen is only clean for a few hours of each week before it is immediately assaulted upon by whatever random thing I decide to make next.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Wherever I live the kitchen ends up the social center of my place as everyone just hangs out while I cook. So a breakfast bar with window into the kitchen is a good thing I like.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, our place is a big octagonal kitchen/living room combo and it rules. My dream kitchen is more or less this but better appliances and a huge three basin sink.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sextro posted:

Wherever I live the kitchen ends up the social center of my place as everyone just hangs out while I cook. So a breakfast bar with window into the kitchen is a good thing I like.

This exactly. If people are going to crowd in there and get in my way and see the mess anyhow, might as well make it comfortable for everyone.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

This exactly. If people are going to crowd in there and get in my way and see the mess anyhow, might as well make it comfortable for everyone.

Yeah. My wife really wanted a kitchen/diner so the cook isn't isolated. I like it, mostly.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Yeah. My wife really wanted a kitchen/diner so the cook isn't isolated. I like it, mostly.

Maybe this is more of an introvert/extrovert thing?

I think I'd rather be isolated while cooking. Keeps people out of my way.

dino. posted:

I like having a closed kitchen because it means I can escape there when I need a minute. "Oh I'm just gonna check on a thing."

I have my home office for that. "Oh hey, work needs me for a minute."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Force de Fappe posted:

Coconut rice is loving delicious. Just toss in a big old splash of full-fat no-bullshit coconut milk with the cooking water. Simple as that.

Found what I'm having for supper!

err kinda. I guess I can't just eat a big fuckoff bowl of rice.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like the Kitchen/Great Room concept. In fact, I have plans in the works for a house that's mostly kitchen (granted, it's a tiny house).

However, I also like the really old-school concept of the kitchen being an entirely different structure, outdoors and connected by a small walkway. Old Florida Cracker houses had this design. You would have the main structure, which was the main room with maybe a small side-room or two, then the kitchen out back, which was more open to the elements. This also helped prevent you from loosing the entire house when the kitchen would catch fire (as it routinely would back then). Keeps the main structure cool in summer, and smells of cooking/processing out of your stuff.

\/\/\/\/

bunnielab posted:

My dream house is like 70% open kitchen/living room, 25% huge bathroom, and like a small cube to sleep/gently caress in.

I also really want an outdoor kitchen, but less outdoor and more "sun room with windows I can open".

I wonder what kind of interesting code violations it would be to put gas lines and a range hood in a screened-in patio

CommonShore posted:

Found what I'm having for supper!

err kinda. I guess I can't just eat a big fuckoff bowl of rice.

Hell yes you can, capitalist pig-dog. Good rice is a joy to eat.

(I call you pig-dog with only the greatest respect, of course)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 4, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My dream house is like 70% open kitchen/living room, 25% huge bathroom, and like a small cube to sleep/gently caress in.

I also really want an outdoor kitchen, but less outdoor and more "sun room with windows I can open".

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like my open kitchen. I don't feel isolated when I'm cooking. I kick out anyone that tries to stand around in it while I'm cooking. But to say you need a galley kitchen so you can concentrate seems awfully spergy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like my open kitchen. I don't feel isolated when I'm cooking. I kick out anyone that tries to stand around in it while I'm cooking. But to say you need a galley kitchen so you can concentrate seems awfully spergy.

And apparently a lovely cook because they don't clean as they go as per chefy chef.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My giant mess lets my guests know I didn't Sandra Lee this poo poo and throw a frozen Stouffers lasagna in a pan with some preshredded moz.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My roommates started three fires in my kitchen because they dawdled off and watched tv while something was cooking. I guess an open plan would make it easier to see something was burning.

Also, we should have a kitchen thread

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I don't want an open kitchen because I don't want to let people see me tasting food as I cook it with the same utensil I'm using to stir/cook poo poo with, and not industrially decontaminating the thing in between tastes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The first guest catches an errant knife and the rest of them are then careful and I can use the kitchen as intended.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I remember my open plan kitchen with great fondness. My current flat has a galley kitchen and it sucks.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have found most open kitchens I have cooked in to be way too open. or not segregated enough. Like, for instance a fridge will be near a stove or something, where a guest would intuitively think it's alright to enter The Cooking Area, which is sort of a problem. my current kitchen isn't open, so everyone just crowds in the kitchen during dinner parties and I just nudge people out of the way, but that sucks.

If I were to design an Entertaining Kitchen, it would have a stove, a sink, a prep area, and a fridge all within a very clearly demarcated "please don't enter this space unless you're cooking' area - with plenty of open counter space and places for people to sit or stand around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So this is what you want

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
too many cooks

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

this is more like what I have in mind

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My ideal would be an open-style kitchen onto living room, both of which open out onto a patio with a hard-piped grill. I want industrial sinks and dishwasher for my home kitchen.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The last house I live in had a pretty sweet kitchen setup, the kitchen was a square in the corner of a square room, and the 2 sides in the room were both bars with stools and countertops, so you could talk to anyone and they didn't feel the need to be in the kitchen while you were working

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Speaking of kitchens. It took me the LONGEST time to get used to the concept of "help yourself" in someone else's house. As a kid it was absolutely terrifying. I'd be at a friend's house, and they'd be all "I'm hungry. Let's go raid the fridge." That'd be OK. However, sometimes it'd be like "You hungry? OK, just go get whatever from the fridge. I'm good. Maybe just grab me a soda." And I'd be all "Oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo what do I doooooooo?"

Now, because I cook so much, my friends more or less expect me to raid the fridge, because they know I'll want to make something. I'm still pretty careful to check if there's any plans for ______ in the fridge or pantry before commandeering it. It still feels weird as hell though. Hell, it took me three or four visits to my own brother's house before I felt comfortable enough to go help myself.

Is this a weird cultural thing, or does anyone else know what I'm on about?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Fridges can be personal spaces. They can hide terrible things, like yogurts that are gaining sentience, left over frozen pizzas, long opened kimchi, limp carrots and not enough beer. If you wouldn't want your fridge inspected, you probably won't want to go through anothers.

Once had a kitchen that had a huge hatch leading to the dining room. You'd open it and hey presto - a breakfast bar. Would have liked the kitchen for that, but for some reason the stove was at the end of a narrow, 7 meter long hallway off the kitchen proper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cavenagh posted:

Fridges can be personal spaces. They can hide terrible things, like yogurts that are gaining sentience, left over frozen pizzas, long opened kimchi, limp carrots and not enough beer. If you wouldn't want your fridge inspected, you probably won't want to go through anothers.

Once had a kitchen that had a huge hatch leading to the dining room. You'd open it and hey presto - a breakfast bar. Would have liked the kitchen for that, but for some reason the stove was at the end of a narrow, 7 meter long hallway off the kitchen proper.

What in the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What I'm getting at is that I still feel hella weird going through other peoples' fridge. I'll do it for sure, but it'll take me a while to feel free to open someone else's fridge. My mum was horrified when she had one of my sister's friends come over for a sleep over. She wandered into the kitchen, pulled out the milk, poured herself a glass, and then put the glass in the sink. Thank gods the phone rang, or that could've ended badly.