Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Are the lightsabre colours from Old Republic an actual thing? Like blue means your this kind of Jedi, yellow you're another kind?

Or was that just for the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sleepy.eyes posted:

Speaking to the whole fighting over poo poo when the galaxy is gently caress-off massive; does anyone ever actually mention how much of the galaxy is inhabited? I know there is the Outer Rim and all that, buy is the core of the galaxy supposed to be completely spoken for?

AFAIK most of the galaxy has been mapped out, except for when it's convenient for a "long-lost planet of X" (looking at you, KOTOR and Dark Empire) like the Deep Core. The Wookiepedia article on The Galaxy actually has some pretty decent maps.

IIRC they took pains to mention over and over again when a race was extragalactic in origin (Ssi-ruuk, Vong and Chiss off the top of my head, probably a bunch of others).

e: I mean at least the Deep Core thing is a remotely reasonable explanation, that region is centered around a supermassive black hole (much like our own galaxy) and therefore hyperspace travel in that region is nigh-impossible

The Maw is still dumb as gently caress though

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

drunk asian neighbor posted:

AFAIK most of the galaxy has been mapped out, except for when it's convenient for a "long-lost planet of X" (looking at you, KOTOR and Dark Empire) like the Deep Core. The Wookiepedia article on The Galaxy actually has some pretty decent maps.

IIRC they took pains to mention over and over again when a race was extragalactic in origin (Ssi-ruuk, Vong and Chiss off the top of my head, probably a bunch of others).

The little archipelagos of stars coming off the outer rim and a lot of the deep core still aren't map due to force or gravity well related shennanigans making them impassable for ships in hyperspace

Like the planet in KOTOR that was impossible to get to before Revan was because they had a giant gravity well set up around the Star Forge to keep former slaves of the Rataka from coming back and finishing the job

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unknown_Regions

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Yeah, I'm just saying that those two things are the favorite hand-waves to keep them explained in universe

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, I'm just saying that those two things are the favorite hand-waves to keep them explained in universe

Oh yeah, I got ya. Didn't post that link as a snarky response, just to elaborate on the question of "what part of the galaxy hasn't been explored yet"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
That was actually a pretty cool article, I'm just afraid of reading the books it's based off because they'll turn out to be really bad.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

can't wait for the trench run on the Sunsucker.

Too bad Spaceballs already did the suck to blow joke.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

ChogsEnhour posted:

Are the lightsabre colours from Old Republic an actual thing? Like blue means your this kind of Jedi, yellow you're another kind?

Yellow is for the Jedi who know how to party

Green is for people who have to fight against a blue sky

Blue is for people who do neither

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Oh yeah, I got ya. Didn't post that link as a snarky response, just to elaborate on the question of "what part of the galaxy hasn't been explored yet"

I feel ya, dude. Your Rollins AV just felt so judgy I had to explain myself I guess.

Also, the Rebels show is legit good and 90% of it is just a love letter to Ralph McQuarrie, from character designs based on concept art he did for the OT to them trying to make places look like his hometown of Gary Indiana. So it gets a ton of points for that alone

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Which means, THIS IS CANON https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mK7dzyUkM

Edit: It's only 34 seconds long and totally worth it.

That same little girl got interviewed for a fan website. She named Darth Talon as a personal role model and discussed her plans to kill Vader in the grand Sith tradition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xByYLtYAm5s
:3:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

her parents hosed up raising her.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm going to say no. I haven't played that game, but in Jedi Academy you can choose your lightsabre's colour and hilt design and it's purely cosmetic.

Dely Apple posted:

I'll follow this. My Jedi Academy character had a yellow sabre.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I'm going to say no. I haven't played that game, but in Jedi Academy you can choose your lightsabre's colour and hilt design and it's purely cosmetic.

yeah you could have whatever colour you wanted in Old Republic, but Not-Yoda gave an explination about how blue represents a Jedi-Sentinel who is more attuned to the force. Green is for the Jedi-Vanguard who is skilled at combat or some other such gubbins.

Dely Apple posted:

Ahhh, see? I must have misheard. Anyone who doesn't have a yellow laser sword can just get to hell then. :boom:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

That same little girl got interviewed for a fan website. She named Darth Talon as a personal role model and discussed her plans to kill Vader in the grand Sith tradition:

I'm the pink AT-AT.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ChogsEnhour posted:

yeah you could have whatever colour you wanted in Old Republic, but Not-Yoda gave an explination about how blue represents a Jedi-Sentinel who is more attuned to the force. Green is for the Jedi-Vanguard who is skilled at combat or some other such gubbins.

Ahhh, see? I must have misheard. Anyone who doesn't have a yellow laser sword can just get to hell then. :boom:

The worst light saber color was in Force Unleashed, there was a hidden crystal that was really hard to find that had a really cool icon for this rippling darkness. Instead it was a solid bar of black so it looked like you were censoring storm troopers.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

"You don't think Darth Vader's tough?"
"Well, he is, but... not as tough as me."

This kid rules.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Instead it was a solid bar of black so it looked like you were censoring storm troopers.

Truly the old republic has become corrupt and the jedi have lost their way...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Purple Sam Jackson Saber, best saber

PS Jedi are lame as gently caress except Shaft

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Booblord Zagats posted:

:agreed:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgmH9Vv2-I

poo poo owns, if you don't think it's badass when the 1 sith lights his saber and then all the other ones behind him activate theirs then I dunno what to tell you

Too bad the actual game seems p. terrible

e: nothing said in the thread specifically triggered this post I was just remembering some of my favorite Star Wars stuff

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 5, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I always go purple in Knights Of The Old Republic.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgmH9Vv2-I

poo poo owns, if you don't think it's badass when the 1 sith lights his saber and then all the other ones behind him activate theirs then I dunno what to tell you

Too bad the actual game seems p. terrible

e: nothing said in the thread specifically triggered this post I was just remembering some of my favorite Star Wars stuff

OKay that was pretty drat awesome. Can we get a movie about that?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah because that has stupid prequel-like dbz fighting poo poo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah because that has stupid prequel-like dbz fighting poo poo.

I mean I get that the OT lightsaber battles were way more tense and "realistic" and formal and such but how would you want a large-scale Jedi/Sith battle to look? Plus there are non-Jedi fighting too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't think there should ever be large scale fights with them. i always pictured it being a wandering monk type thing before the prequels came out (still how i picture it as i don't accept that fanon). i always figured the numbers were never that large and if so they weren't all gonna be in one place.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't think there should ever be large scale fights with them. i always pictured it being a wandering monk type thing before the prequels came out (still how i picture it as i don't accept that fanon). i always figured the numbers were never that large and if so they weren't all gonna be in one place.

Fair enough. I grew up reading the old Dark Horse Tales of the Jedi comics so those shaped my opinion pretty hard.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's their main temple. Even with wandering Buddhist monks there's still a bunch at their main temples.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fair enough. I grew up reading the old Dark Horse Tales of the Jedi comics so those shaped my opinion pretty hard.

The Tales of the Jedi comics are pretty great, been meaning to re-read those.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

It's their main temple. Even with wandering Buddhist monks there's still a bunch at their main temples.

it shouldn't be on the capital planet next to the senate considering less than a generation later people are calling it a hokey or ancient religion and talking about the force and jedi like they're myths. and i figured they didn't have a formal hierarchy or anything, it never struck me as an organized type religion.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
From the trailers to the new one it sounds like people have total cultural amnesia about what happened like 30 years ago again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that makes more sense considering there was only yoda, obi wan, luke, vader, and the emperor. and two of those nobody knows about apart from luke.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

it shouldn't be on the capital planet next to the senate considering less than a generation later people are calling it a hokey or ancient religion and talking about the force and jedi like they're myths. and i figured they didn't have a formal hierarchy or anything, it never struck me as an organized type religion.

I mean them congregating in one large main temple doesn't necessarily mean they have a formal heirarchy beyond "we all kind of hang out here" and maybe jobs like Librarian or whatever. Like how monks in Europe live at their convent or abbey or whatever, but this one is the gardener, these guys brew the beer, etc. (I know monks usually have a head abbot or whatever, shut up).

Plus that game takes place like 3500 years before the OT so the ancient religion thing doesn't hold up so well.
Although I do agree 100% that the temple being next to the Senate on Coruscant was dumb in the context of the OT's general regard for the Jedi as long-gone, and I kind of wish they weren't running with that idea for Ep7.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also if that "Sunsucker" nickname for the new superweapon is actually a description of what it does that will be Sun Crusher levels of dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the jedi being long gone/mythical is the better of the two choices. i'm glad they seem to be avoiding the prequel-think as much as possible.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

the jedi being long gone/mythical is the better of the two choices. i'm glad they seem to be avoiding the prequel-think as much as possible.

On the one hand I agree but on the other hand it ups the ante from "how the gently caress did the whole galaxy forget about the Jedi in 30 years" to "how gently caress did the whole galaxy forget the Jedi in 30 years, witness a newly minted Jedi wreck the Empire, then forget about him in another 30 years"

I guess it does make more sense if you distance yourself from the prequel depictions of the Jedi. I think it would gel a lot better with the EU depictions of the Jedi as they were thousands of years ago (widespread badass warriors), and have them be an empty shell of their former glory in the prequels. That way they're diminished enough that it makes sense people have forgotten about them by the OT, but also their reputation for being total badasses 3000 years ago still lingers as legend or whatever.

e: I guess what I'm saying is Groovelord is correct and the prequel depictions of the Jedi totally mess up their depictions in the OT and potentially the upcoming movies. But I still maintain that 2-5,000 years ago the Jedi were Magical Crouching Tiger Hidden Space Wizards. When they fought the Mandalorians in the old comics it was cool as hell.

double edit: seriously though Tales of the Jedi was IMO the best Star Wars comic series ever and is also pretty high up on my EU list overall, if you haven't read it I highly recommend it

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 5, 2015

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

On the one hand I agree but on the other hand it ups the ante from "how the gently caress did the whole galaxy forget about the Jedi in 30 years" to "how gently caress did the whole galaxy forget the Jedi in 30 years, witness a newly minted Jedi wreck the Empire, then forget about him in another 30 years"

I don't think Luke publicly did anything that a normal human couldn't have.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I guess it does make more sense if you distance yourself from the prequel depictions of the Jedi. I think it would gel a lot better with the EU depictions of the Jedi as they were thousands of years ago (widespread badass warriors), and have them be an empty shell of their former glory in the prequels. That way they're diminished enough that it makes sense people have forgotten about them by the OT, but also their reputation for being total badasses 3000 years ago still lingers as legend or whatever.

Everyone who has seen Luke wield a lightsaber or do anything force-magicy is part of his immediate and extended family or dead. If he doesn't go around bragging it stays an urban legend at best.

That's another point in favor of Kylo Ren being someone who knows the main cast personally.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Everyone who has seen Luke wield a lightsaber or do anything force-magicy is part of his immediate and extended family or dead. If he doesn't go around bragging it stays an urban legend at best.

Agreed, but I feel like the general reaction from the Rebellion would be to publicize as much as possible "HAY GUYS REMEMBER ALL THOSE COOL JEDI WELL THERES A NEW ONE AND HE BLEW UP 2 DEATHSTARS AND KILLED THE EMPEROR AND DARTH VADER," regardless of if Luke wanted it known or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

before this new movie i would assume the same as i figured (as i think most did) that the empire would be totally gone and we'd have the republic restored (do not mention the loving terrible books and the imperial remnant and the 8 emperor clones and all that garbage) and not a battle between the "new order" and the "resistance".

• Locked thread