Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

go away i'm master debating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Elth posted:

go away i'm master debating

New thread title?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hailthefish posted:

New thread title?

It has to be Dwarf Fortress 2015: The Wizard's Guide to Self Control.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hooman posted:

Put the image of that in the op

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Don't worry, I'm certain toady will somehow have to fill out at least half of that section of game development while working on non-player artifacts, and then also do parts of the trader role while hes at it because having mansions for sale is absolutely necessary to properly implement NPC artifacts as well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hooman posted:

Done.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Has anyone gotten far enough to see the new monster slayer NPCs? Can they actually kill any of the forgotten beasts?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Excellent.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Remember that patch note about how your dwarves will equip themselves with random jewellery again? Because one of my cooks just went berserk because of a failed mood and attacked a nearby soapmaker, which didn't end very well for him:

DeadGame posted:

Has anyone gotten far enough to see the new monster slayer NPCs? Can they actually kill any of the forgotten beasts?

I've only received a single petition so far, from a human swordsman wishing to join my fortress as a mercenary. Which, as far as I can tell, makes him a regular citizen who refuses to do any civilian work, presumably so you have to actually assign him to a squad instead of turning around and making him a fish dissector or something. I think his highest skill level was merely 'skilled', and he only brought an iron scimitar and a shield as far as equipment went, which wouldn't bode well for his survivability in a serious fight.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

hahaha yes YES GOLDEN SCEPTERS FOR EVERYONE

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

So, I literally just set up my makeshift tavern, and it took less than a month for my first visitor to show up. I wonder who they'll b-

:staredog:

The vampire is ... just hanging out in my tavern. I'm not sure what to do with her really. I don't even have a military to begin with, much less one capable of fighting her, so killing her is out of the question. I guess my only option is to just leave her be and pray she doesn't decide to have an extra snack in my poor little outpost? That would be the quickest game over in DF I've ever had for sure.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

VerdantSquire posted:

So, I literally just set up my makeshift tavern, and it took less than a month for my first visitor to show up. I wonder who they'll b-

:staredog:

The vampire is ... just hanging out in my tavern. I'm not sure what to do with her really. I don't even have a military to begin with, much less one capable of fighting her, so killing her is out of the question. I guess my only option is to just leave her be and pray she doesn't decide to have an extra snack in my poor little outpost? That would be the quickest game over in DF I've ever had for sure.

I wouldn't worry unless she orders Bloody Mary.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elth posted:

Legendary Persuader retired adventurer with intense need to argue joins your fortress. A week later everybody thinks friendship is bullshit.

This is beneficial, as it prevents tantrum spirals.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Did the game get any harder than it used to be?

I miss the difficulty of the 2d version.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's less of a game than the 2D days, it's more of a story simulator

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

"I've corrected what is hopefully the cause of all the world generation freezes (an uninitialized poetry refrain index...)"

God drat this game is awesome

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Party Plane Jones posted:

Did the game get any harder than it used to be?

I miss the difficulty of the 2d version.

Well, it's still easier than 2D days (Cave-ins are still nerfed, no Nile-style farming with associated flooding issues, less straight-out murderbeasts), but it should be more difficult than last release. Now that the issues that invasion forces were having pathing around mountains has been solved, there should be more attacks. :shrug:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wow, building musical instruments can be opaque.

Apparently you assemble the complex ones at the Craftdwarf's workshop. There, you can also see the "recipes" for each instrument. But good luck discovering where all the individual parts are built.

One instrument in my world consists of two wooden triangles, held by a wooden stand, played with some kind of stick. The triangles are built at the Carpenter workshop, the stand at the Crafts workshop, but I can't figure out where the stick is made.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sticks are very difficult to construct, you need a real expert in the field

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

This is an *Ash Stick*. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sometimes you have to suffer for your art

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Depending on materials, instrument pieces and the final assemblage need to be done at the craftsdwarf's workshop (bone, stone, wood, cloth), the leather works(leather), the metalsmith's forge(metal), the kiln(ceramic) or the glass furnace(glass).

... And the first human scholar to visit my library immediately sat down and wrote a scroll titled "Start Your Day With Probing".

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Did Tolkien ever go into real stupid lengths about dwarven music? The game builds all instruments with user-accessible raws stuff, so we could outright replace the whole system on a civ-to-civ basis with our own stuff.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

What's the 5x5 room with four statues and a table that gets the privilege of first smoothing?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

That table's probably an altar.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there any way to get the personality/description of a historic figure from legends mode? I'm trying to see if there's anything else funny about the author of "The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control" but he hasn't written anything else interesting.

He does love to challenge people to foot races, tho.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Are foot races part of the "Festivals" in the dev notes that only occur in world gen?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any way to get the personality/description of a historic figure from legends mode? I'm trying to see if there's anything else funny about the author of "The Wizard's Guide to Self-Control" but he hasn't written anything else interesting.

He does love to challenge people to foot races, tho.

If they're still alive you could track them down with an adventure character for whom you know the beliefs of and suss out their beliefs by arguing with them.

:getin:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 4, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I don't know if you can coax it out through Legends mode. :ohdear: I know you should be able to with DFHack, but...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:iit:

I can't believe this smiley and the last major patch was from July 2014. It doesn't feel that long ago.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Considering that the major patch before that was in 2012 ... :corsair:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Alehkhs posted:

If they're still alive you could track them down with an adventure character for whom you know the beliefs of and suss out their beliefs by arguing with them.

:getin:

Well, I guess I'm going to go argue with him at some point. Wonder if I can ask him about the whole 'Wizard' thing.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

So Math posted:

Considering that the major patch before that was in 2012 ... :corsair:

"I remember when trees were the size of a dwarf..... And one accidental death and the whole fort might as well be over! And you couldn't reclaim back then neither! No-siree! If you wanted to revisit some old memories you had to hop to it and get to walkin' as an adventurer! And Armok save you if you didn't remember where the traps were on the way in!" *Holds up stump for emphasis*

"We know Grampa we know."

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Apparently flying does not cancel the On Ground status for flying adventurers.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Jyrraeth posted:

Well, I guess I'm going to go argue with him at some point. Wonder if I can ask him about the whole 'Wizard' thing.

Make sure you try to argue with him the importance of self control! :haw:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

So Math posted:

Apparently flying does not cancel the On Ground status for flying adventurers.

Hump the Air!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Yeah, I believe "on ground" is just an indicator of a "prone/NotDefault" position, regardless of whether you're actually prone on the ground or not. Hence fish "standing up" while swimming, as well.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Holy poo poo, my world has a handheld hydraulophone.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

So Math posted:

Holy poo poo, my world has a handheld hydraulophone.

But where are my bow-played auquasonic waterphones? :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRB3CbvQBJA

I too would like to play the song of the whalemen.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I took notes of what changed in the raws between versions. The "modding & utilities" post in the OP has an unholy mess of data at the end of it.