Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

toe knee hand posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer to this question is "Cats are jerks" but I thought that was also the answer to why he ignored the water next to his food in favour of toilet water and it turns out there was a reason for it, so...

Quite often, he likes canned food on the first feeding but doesn't like the second half of the can on his next feeding. I keep the half-finished can in the fridge and mix hot water in prior to serving. I often add warm water to the first half of the can so it's not the temperature and it's not the water content. I haven't noticed any signs of digestive issues or allergies. So, why?

Mine are like that too. I never found a solution. Mixed with a bit of warm water, just as is cold, it's never as popular as fresh. I was going to try scooping it out of the can next and putting it in some other container. Maybe the can imparts a bad flavor once it's opened and sits around in the fridge for a day. Instead, I just made dry food less available, and with three cats, they can finish a can of wet if they are not full of dry. So, get more cats?

taqueso posted:

Marvin/Salem/Blackie/Little Buddy/Cat-in-a-box has been visiting our yard for a couple weeks. A few other cats pass through and accept an occasional petting, but this guy is super affectionate and would follow us around. He seemed hungry, so I started feeding him. It is getting cold here so I made him an insulated cat box and now he spends a lot of time in there. The roommates are very adamant about no cats in the house, but I really like having him around. We chill out together every morning while I drink coffee.

That looks like an excellent cat. Marvin is a good name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Gorgar posted:

So, get more cats?

He gets dry instead of wet, not in addition. Like half the time dry, half the time wet. No free-feeding of dry.

And I want more cats but I can't have more where I am right now and also my cat is probably an "only cat" though I'm willing to try making him have friends when I'm in a place where that's possible.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

taqueso posted:

The roommates are very adamant about no cats in the house, but I really like having him around. We chill out together every morning while I drink coffee.

Sounds like it's time to find new roommates.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Clipped our new kitty's claws for the first time and put her collar/nametag on. The clipping went surprisingly well and was super easy with the clipper we got. The collar has a little bell on it and she's very concerned about it every time she starts to run/play.

I might take the bell off as it's bothering me too.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

wilderthanmild posted:

Clipped our new kitty's claws for the first time and put her collar/nametag on. The clipping went surprisingly well and was super easy with the clipper we got. The collar has a little bell on it and she's very concerned about it every time she starts to run/play.

I might take the bell off as it's bothering me too.

First thing I do with new collars is clip the bell off. There's really no point for it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dienes posted:

First thing I do with new collars is clip the bell off. There's really no point for it.

We added a bell to my childhood cat's collar so he wouldn't be able to stalk birds as well. It seemed to mostly work.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The bell is only needed for outside cats so they can't get the jump on animals too well.

An inside cat will use that to loving annoy the poo poo out of you.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

In my experience growing up with inside/outside cats the bell does absolutely gently caress all to stop them from catching birds. They move smoothly enough while stalking the bird that it doesn't jangle at all. I've heard that the bell can damage a cat's hearing over time since it's constantly jangling right by their ears, I don't know how true it is but I think it's worth taking it off just in case since it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to anyway.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

We added a bell to my childhood cat's collar so he wouldn't be able to stalk birds as well. It seemed to mostly work.

I tried this once, my cat ripped first the bell off and a few days later came back without the collar. I guess she has strong feelings about this. Or she was still angry because of the dead bird I took from her some weeks earlier. :v:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Right now she's back to not wearing her collar until I can get the bell off. It doesn't appear to be designed to be removable, so I'm gonna have to be creative most likely.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

wilderthanmild posted:

Right now she's back to not wearing her collar until I can get the bell off. It doesn't appear to be designed to be removable, so I'm gonna have to be creative most likely.

I just used one of these to clip it off.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

taqueso posted:

Marvin/Salem/Blackie/Little Buddy/Cat-in-a-box has been visiting our yard for a couple weeks. A few other cats pass through and accept an occasional petting, but this guy is super affectionate and would follow us around. He seemed hungry, so I started feeding him. It is getting cold here so I made him an insulated cat box and now he spends a lot of time in there. The roommates are very adamant about no cats in the house, but I really like having him around. We chill out together every morning while I drink coffee.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Sounds like it's time to find new roommates.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Organza Quiz posted:

In my experience growing up with inside/outside cats the bell does absolutely gently caress all to stop them from catching birds. They move smoothly enough while stalking the bird that it doesn't jangle at all. I've heard that the bell can damage a cat's hearing over time since it's constantly jangling right by their ears, I don't know how true it is but I think it's worth taking it off just in case since it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to anyway.

The collars themselves need to be checked over periodically too. We have a pair of 15 year old sisters in care at the moment with permanent neck scarring where the fur won't grow back - their last owner put collars on them and left it at that for god knows how many years. The cats grew, collars don't grow -> tree ringed cats :(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Cat update:

Last week my cat would barf up whatever I fed her in the morning. This included the medicine I would try to sneak in to the water I used to flush her tube.

I called the vet and he prescribed Ondansetron. It's a liquid and I have to give her 1ml per day. I mix this with her water and she hasn't barfed since Friday.

In fact, she ate some of her regular food this weekend! She didn't eat any today, but I am now able to feed her more food through the tube (about 20ml at a time three to four times a day).

She looks a lot better and is starting to act like her old weird self.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I'm actually kinda surprised they didn't give you ondansentron at the outset. It's a really awesome anti-emetic (stops puking) but also has the side effect of making animals more likely to eat (because they don't feel like they're going to puke). Odin was on a human pediatric dose of ondansetron the whole time he had his feeding tube in (which is a lot), along with OTC pepcid. My mortar and pestle got a lot of use during that time.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The bell is only needed for outside cats so they can't get the jump on animals too well.

An inside cat will use that to loving annoy the poo poo out of you.

We use a bell on Jayne so he doesn't sneak up on us. I don't think he realizes he can use it to annoy us since it's usually just to hear where he is in the house.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Irritated Goat posted:

We use a bell on Jayne so he doesn't sneak up on us. I don't think he realizes he can use it to annoy us since it's usually just to hear where he is in the house.

That's why Tali has a bell, too. Otherwise she'd get stepped on and every time I'd turn around she'd be hiding behind me, waiting to scare me. I'm annoyed whenever she's not wearing her collar because then I have no idea where she is (until I hear the thump and little tktktktktk of her running on the hardwood). I specifically ordered her collar with a D ring for a bell because she's naughty and needs it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dienes posted:

I just used one of these to clip it off.

Saw this pic before I saw the post you quoted and for a second I was horrified because I thought you were trimming your cat's claws with it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Saw this pic before I saw the post you quoted and for a second I was horrified because I thought you were trimming your cat's claws with it.

That's actually what I thought at first as well.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I swear my cats are trying to gaslight me. One of them will sit on my back while i'm reading, then swap with the other one really gently while I don't notice so I get confused when I look back and see the cat has shape shifted into the other one. They also like to sleep on my pillow and under the covers and will change places with each other while i'm dozing. Is this stage one of the mental conditioning :tinfoil:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

both my purely indoor cats have bells just so we can work out where the hell they are before they get punted across a room in the dark.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Allright, I've been trying and trying to get my cat used to the carrier in preparation for an 8 hour trip in around a months time. So far I've been:

-feeding her in the carrier
-putting her in the carrier daily, at least for a few minutes to get her used to it
-petting her while in the carrier
-giving her treats after I put her in there
-using Feliway in the same room as it

And she still hates it. I took her for a drive tonight, and she just mews pitifully the whole time, came home and went straight under the bed, ignoring treats. I know I only have to do this move once, but I'd rather not traumatise my cat/crash halfway because my eyes tear up. Does anyone have any tips towards making it more tolerable? I don't really know what else I can do.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I have a half feral two year old cat named Artemis. She does not want to go to the vet. She is smarter and faster than me and not afraid to hurt me. She seems to remember the first trip vividly and still holds a grudge over it. I got my friend to help me catch her but she got the better of us for an entire week and we had to cancel five appointments from not being able to capture her. We gave up. She is noticeably less affectionate to us now even months later. She generally runs from my friend and when I pet her she usually attacks me when she is finished with me/or I do something that offends her. I used to be able to pick her up for a small amount of time, but now she immediately contorts and lunges away from me.

I am not a new cat owner. I have had cats for 29 years and never had this much trouble getting them to the vet. I have two carriers. She generally gets elusive if she hears the sounds that they make from across the house(even gym bags now that I bought a gym bag-like carrier). She runs when I wield a towel or piece of clothing big enough to swaddle her. I could trap her in a small room and violently force her into a carrier but I worry that will stress our already rocky relationship. I can also wait until she goes into heat again, but it has been a long while and I want to get her fixed.. Supposedly it is dangerous to do it during that time. Feliway spray seems to actually repel her.

Any tips to get her to the vet? Any tips on getting her to be less violent in her affections?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zenithe posted:

Allright, I've been trying and trying to get my cat used to the carrier in preparation for an 8 hour trip in around a months time. So far I've been:

-putting her in the carrier daily, at least for a few minutes to get her used to it

And she still hates it. I took her for a drive tonight, and she just mews pitifully the whole time, came home and went straight under the bed, ignoring treats. I know I only have to do this move once, but I'd rather not traumatise my cat/crash halfway because my eyes tear up. Does anyone have any tips towards making it more tolerable? I don't really know what else I can do.

You're going to have to traumatize her whether you like it or not, and she'll get over it. Cram her in the carrier and let her howl. You're never going to get her to like being in there.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Surely it's the car that she hates rather than the carrier? In any case, she'll survive. Just do the trip and she'll sulk for a little while and then get over it.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah when we moved from IN to VA with our cat in the carrier (two full-trip days with an overnight in a pet-friendly motel) our cat would usually just bitch and moan for the first 15-30 minutes of each drive and then settle down. She was clearly unhappy about the whole situation but it was either that or give her up so in the end I think her being uncomfortable for a couple days was the better choice. She also pouted for a couple days once we arrived at our new home but once she got acclimated she was back to her usual self.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Organza Quiz posted:

Surely it's the car that she hates rather than the carrier? In any case, she'll survive. Just do the trip and she'll sulk for a little while and then get over it.

It's both. I might take her on a slightly longer trip to see what she does. Thanks guys.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Man, this "train cat to not meow for attention" thing is hard. It's impossible to be on my computer or walking around without her being really vocal. It doesn't matter what we do really, if it's not with her, chances are she's being loud about it.

I almost want to start spraying her with water or something when she gets really bad, but that almost feels mean. Hopefully I can just train this out by ignoring her when she's trying to get our attention by meowing incessantly right?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

My cat poops in a random spot outside the litter box roughly 4 times a year. I cannot find any rhyme or reason behind this - I have a couple different types of litter I use and it never lines up with me changing it. I clean his box every 1-3 days and refresh it every 2 weeks. It doesn't line up with when its fuller than normal. He only gets one type of food. I'm reluctant to move the box as it's a rare occurrence. But I'd like him to stop. The locations he poops in are seemingly random. Has anyone experienced this?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm not sure how to feel.

Theodore, a cat we've had for two years, had never really gotten along with the other two cats, and he was stressing Mortimer out something awful with his constant 'hunting' of him - it didn't look like play - and making Mort terrified of his litterbox. He'd wait until Mort was using the litterbox, then go and attack him... so Mort was resorting to peeing on laundry, towels, etc.

Thing is, he's a really sweet cat and we loved him, even though he was a bit of a weirdo. He'd howl at the moon, was very nice with people. He just had to be an only cat. It worked out such that a coworker's mother was able to adopt him from us, and from all the pictures I've seen and from what I've heard he's just living the good life and he and her mother are already in love. It sounds like he's already way better adjusted there than he ever was with us. He found his forever home, just it wasn't with us.

I know that it's better for everyone and everyone is happy, but now the apartment feels so quiet and empty with 'only' the other two, who I love, but I also love and miss him. It's a weird feeling, like I gave up on him.

Theodore:

Mort's getting better. It's only been a couple days and he seems to be slowly realizing that he can use the litterbox without getting the poo poo beat out of him. He's lost a lot of weight from stress, and he still seems very 'nervous' to be here, which breaks my heart. I'm wondering if it'll get better, or if he'll need a new one too since this one is too traumatizing for him. :(

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My cat poops in a random spot outside the litter box roughly 4 times a year. I cannot find any rhyme or reason behind this - I have a couple different types of litter I use and it never lines up with me changing it. I clean his box every 1-3 days and refresh it every 2 weeks. It doesn't line up with when its fuller than normal. He only gets one type of food. I'm reluctant to move the box as it's a rare occurrence. But I'd like him to stop. The locations he poops in are seemingly random. Has anyone experienced this?

Gonna chalk that up to 'because cats'

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Imagine if every time you tried to take a poo poo, someone would knock down the door and punch you in the face. Cats are hosed up.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Gonna chalk that up to 'because cats'

this is a distinct possibility but it goes against everything I've read.

of course, everything I've read says "TAKE YOUR CAT TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY" which I have not done since this happens once every fiscal quarter, so it's probably the response I deserve.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Happy cat news:

Since she's had her feeding tube put in, I've been putting out my cat's regular daily meal as normal in hopes she'll start eating again. Last week, she would eat a little here and there, but not enough for a full day's meal.

Today, she ate everything I put out. I refilled the bowl and she ate some of that, too. By the time I got home from work, she had eaten the rest, plus a little more that I put out. She even ate a few of her snacks.

Since she ate a full day's meal, I'm going to give her a break from the tube. She goes back to the vet on Wednesday for a check up and to have the tube looked at.

Update: She threw up a little yesterday and didn't eat a whole lot. Went to the vet to have the tube refitted. She did NOT like that and had to be sedated. Got some Mirtazapine and more Prednisolone. The vet wants me to try and back off the anti-nausea medicine to see what happens. I'll start this on Saturday so that I have time to clean any possible mess and feed her again.

Also, the yellow is going out of her eyes and ears, so it looks like the liver thing is on the mend.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 3, 2015

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Have you actually witnessed him taking a dump where he shouldn't, or just found evidence? I occasionally find poo where it shouldn't be, and it turned out to be because of danglers. Is he a medium/longhair? Does he get danglers?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Have you actually witnessed him taking a dump where he shouldn't, or just found evidence? I occasionally find poo where it shouldn't be, and it turned out to be because of danglers. Is he a medium/longhair? Does he get danglers?

So here's the thing. He is long haired and I have never witnessed it. But I have never seen a dangler on him either, and they are usually full size turds.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah Odin my superfluffybutt cat sometimes leaves full-size danglers outside the box a couple times a year. He also will every once in a while realize he has a dangler and buttscooch it off, leaving this horrible pooptrail that can sometimes stretch up to 3 feet in length. He's a real jerk.

Trimming his buttfur helps, but that's also one of the only things I can do to him that pisses him off so much he hisses at me. Last time I tried to clean off his butt he swatted me in the face hard enough to draw blood, so now I just stock up on heavy-duty carpet cleaner. :sigh:

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Any tips for if your cat is very possessive of you and beats up the other cat for getting in your lap?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

quote:

Danglers and bum trims
I have heard of people having their cats' bumfur trimmed by a vet, under sedation. Maybe try that, if you want to avoid violence?

For my part, Wolfgang has a dangler more or less every month. I'm just used to cleaning up the odd stray turd, or wrestling him down and snipping the offending hair off now.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kickshaw posted:

Any tips for if your cat is very possessive of you and beats up the other cat for getting in your lap?
Make sure you pet both of them a lot so you get the other cat's stank on you too and your other cat learns to be more okay with it.

Also, what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hyperlynx posted:

I have heard of people having their cats' bumfur trimmed by a vet, under sedation. Maybe try that, if you want to avoid violence?

That would be my cat. Luckily she hasn't needed it in a while, but when she was much younger she would have hairball problems, and they always had to sedate her for it.