Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az
Dec 2, 2005

VDay posted:

That almost sounds like a bug or something, are you sure you're reading the tooltip right? I just checked and taking away some random province from the clergy in my game gives me a 0.3 loyalty hit. I would think France is big enough that taking away a single province wouldn't immediately tank an estate's loyalty.

If that's not the case then I would think that giving them a different similarly-developed province would give back the same amount of loyalty that you're taking away.

I'm running tests right now. Removing a province takes as much loyalty as the province was worth in their influence, but giving them an equal one only gives about two thirds of the influence as loyalty, so trading provinces is a net loss. Before the patch removing a 21 dev province from the bourgeoise removed ~16 loyalty, after patch it's at 8.7.

edit: still, 8.7 loyalty is massive compared to your 0.x values. Could you try to load up a game as France in 44, fast forward a year and see what it would take to remove Poitou from the Bourg?

Completly unrelated bug, my ruler turned general keeps turning into a regular leader everytime I load a savegame. However I can just remake the king as a general and have two. Since the bugged general seems to have no connection to the king I could do this unlimited times, creating a an army of Louis XI generals until my military power drain goes negative. It looks like he's properly set up as a ruler leader in the savegame so idk.

az fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GreyPowerVan posted:

Pay someone? For continued release of content?

Hahahahahha are you crazy or what

EDIT: Whelp, I deleted all content and reinstalled and it still crashes when I try to start as any country.

Guess I'm done until that's fixed :(

Do you have mods running?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
code:
######## EXCEPTION: 0xC0000005 at address: 0x00EC9C5B: ACCESS VIOLATION  read attempt to address 0x00000064 
Version: Unknown Version
12/03/15 15:24:20
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_recruit.cpp(732) +38 bytes (CAIRecruitMinister::MaintainFleet)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_recruit.cpp(90) +6 bytes (CAIRecruitMinister::NotifyTick)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_agent.cpp(289) +0 bytes (CAIAgent::Update)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai.cpp(1835) +0 bytes (CEU3AI::DailyUpdate)
c:\jenkins\libs\external_libs2\trunk\tbb\include\tbb\parallel_for.h(91) +33 bytes (tbb::internal::start_for<tbb::blocked_range<int>,`anonymous namespace'::ProcessAIFunctor,tbb::auto_partitioner>::execute)
crashes immediately on unpausing game

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I bet someone feels silly about how they named that CEU3AI class these days.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

code:
######## EXCEPTION: 0xC0000005 at address: 0x00EC9C5B: ACCESS VIOLATION  read attempt to address 0x00000064 
Version: Unknown Version
12/03/15 15:24:20
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_recruit.cpp(732) +38 bytes (CAIRecruitMinister::MaintainFleet)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_recruit.cpp(90) +6 bytes (CAIRecruitMinister::NotifyTick)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai_agent.cpp(289) +0 bytes (CAIAgent::Update)
c:\jenkins\workspace\eu4-live-r-steam-windows\eu4\source\ai.cpp(1835) +0 bytes (CEU3AI::DailyUpdate)
c:\jenkins\libs\external_libs2\trunk\tbb\include\tbb\parallel_for.h(91) +33 bytes (tbb::internal::start_for<tbb::blocked_range<int>,`anonymous namespace'::ProcessAIFunctor,tbb::auto_partitioner>::execute)
crashes immediately on unpausing game

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Looking into this right now.

Sindai posted:

I bet someone feels silly about how they named that CEU3AI class these days.

Not as silly as CRomeBitmap!

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

MrBling posted:

Forming Manchu turns you confucian, but I'm assuming I could just incite some Tengri rebels to flip back like with any other religion.

Since Tengri is pagan that doesn't seem possible :negative:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wiz posted:

Do you have mods running?

Yeah I had one running that I thought it deleted when I reinstalled. After clearing My Documents it still crashed but upon a second reinstall it worked.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think I figured out one of the reasons estates kinda annoy me, it's the math part. I get that autonomy is one of the easiest ways to add a drawback, but I think it'd be clearer if instead of doing:
+25% autonomy
+10% good produced
+10% trade power
it would do:
-25% manpower
-25% tax
+10% good produced
+10% trade power

It would be way easier to figure out if it's a net gain or not, and leave the drawback for the "attribute" you want to improve away. Like gently caress no, I am not gonna calculate if -25% production efficiency is made up for by +10% good produced, there's just too many drat modifiers for that.
Adding more interaction methods to de/increase loyalty/influence would be welcome too, right now it seems to be one action to increase both influence+loyalty in one and then tons of "get benefit X" at the cost of loyalty or extra influence.

Edit: Also my Burgundy game just de-Ironmaned itself after my ~2hour session, saying I edited the file or it belongs to an other user...

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I really like autonomy because in terms of fluff its clear, and it's clear that autonomy means you lose money. It's a nice shorthand for things like the venality system, where you sign over right to solid long-term moneymaking in exchange for short term benefits (and long term, in the sense that you co-opt those interests by involving them in the government).

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Inheriting the estates of other nations when you take their provinces is insanely lovely

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The default (game start) assignments are dumb too, thanks for giving this 4/4/3 salt province to nobility and the 7/7/3 iron province to the clergy. Optimizing it justs costs so much loyalty. I guess the start values are there for the AI? I doubt it is historical.

Also something I just tried because my save got messed up, adopting the Oligarchic Administration decision as Burgundy didn't get rid of estates, I did however keep my PUs since I still technically have a royal house. Apparently you can't change to other forms of republics while you have PUs tough.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I thought combat width was a function of your combat width score plus your miltech level (giving you a final score of 57 with all miltech researched). But now I see a combat width score of 40 in the military screen. Which is right now?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yashichi posted:

Inheriting the estates of other nations when you take their provinces is insanely lovely

They could at least make it so that you don't lose any loyalty, or as much loyalty for revoking it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Fister Roboto posted:

They could at least make it so that you don't lose any loyalty, or as much loyalty for revoking it.

Well, I could see it increasing rebellion chances, and I would think annexing a vassal should force you to inherit because that's part of the deal, but otherwise yeah, it should just be expected that poo poo's gonna change when you take territory in war.

Maybe a 10 year immunity so you can make those changes? The "transition" phase, as it were?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Well, I could see it increasing rebellion chances, and I would think annexing a vassal should force you to inherit because that's part of the deal, but otherwise yeah, it should just be expected that poo poo's gonna change when you take territory in war.

Maybe a 10 year immunity so you can make those changes? The "transition" phase, as it were?

I like that. I'd make it five years, but a five year window to remove an estate without suffering a hit in relations with that estate seems fair. I agree it should add revolt risk to the province though.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 3, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So i move in to help a fight, lose, and instead of retreating, all of my soldiers stand still and get stackwiped the next day.

Interesting, there goes a stack of 25 that was only down to about 21k

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Xotl posted:

I thought combat width was a function of your combat width score plus your miltech level (giving you a final score of 57 with all miltech researched). But now I see a combat width score of 40 in the military screen. Which is right now?

Combat width is 15 + your combat width value, as show on the tech screen. It maxes at 40 (+25 on your tech screen)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Xotl posted:

I like that. I'd make it five years, but a five year window to remove an estate without suffering a hit in relations with that state seems fair. I agree it should add revolt risk to the province though.

Yeah I was going to post something like this.

It might make more sense to keep estates of conquered provinces that are your own religious group. But for simplicity I would like to be able to strip estates from newly conquered provinces for a local RR cost.

Having to plan your conquests partly around enemy estates is a pain in the rear end.

Edit: it might even be sort of exploitable, give another nation a ton of provinces all in one estate, their influence goes through the roof.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dibujante posted:

Combat width is 15 + your combat width value, as show on the tech screen. It maxes at 40 (+25 on your tech screen)

The military screen now shows the actual value so you don't need to work it out.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Damnit Austria is strong. They thoroughly kicked my rear end because I failed to notice they had a PU with Hungary and declared on them. I could bounce back but it would take a hundred years.. gently caress, there goes my super France. And I was doing so well :smith:

Oh well, another lesson learned. Ironman just isn't for me :v:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
An other bug, "Our spy forging a claim in Caux was discovered blah blah" but the spy forging a claim on Metz gets slowed down instead of the one in England.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's not explicitly said in the patch notes, but American culture also got revised with 1.14. I know this matters to a lot of you, so it seemed important to draw it to your attention.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Did another hotfix just roll out?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Wiz posted:

The hotfix was updated with a fix for another ironman-invalidating bugs and a CTD. We're going to look into a way to recover broken ironman saves tomorrow.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
So far I'm liking the estate system, but I seem to be having the reverse problem. I can't get their influence high enough to make use of them. If people are having trouble with high influence you might be tossing too much land to them for short term gains. Annexing territory hasn't given them much influence at all and my emirs, guilds, and Ulema are all below 50% influence despite focusing almost exclusively on same religion provinces. However, it seems they really need to change the influence gain from some of these decisions considering how crippling the disasters for >80% are. There's no way in hell I'm going to go for a cheap advisor in ironman if I'm risking having a bad event pop up and ruin my country when I go from 60% influence to 75%.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I was playing when the Ironman hotfix came out (and so didn't download it) and got hit with the "Meant to be played as <another country>" bug :negative:

RIP Western Norse 'Murica run.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Ithle01 posted:

So far I'm liking the estate system, but I seem to be having the reverse problem. I can't get their influence high enough to make use of them. If people are having trouble with high influence you might be tossing too much land to them for short term gains. Annexing territory hasn't given them much influence at all and my emirs, guilds, and Ulema are all below 50% influence despite focusing almost exclusively on same religion provinces. However, it seems they really need to change the influence gain from some of these decisions considering how crippling the disasters for >80% are. There's no way in hell I'm going to go for a cheap advisor in ironman if I'm risking having a bad event pop up and ruin my country when I go from 60% influence to 75%.

You can interact with them to increase their influence, e.g. giving your merchant guilds a new world charter or an admiralty.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

does anyone have some advice for hordes? I tried both Golden Horde and Uzbek. I keep getting stuck in really frustrating and un-fun cycles of rebel squashing that suck up all my manpower so I can't wage war to get territory to raze, which creates unrest and makes more rebels to squash, etc. Uzbek especially was annoying because of the huge travel times to get anywhere so the rebels keep adding separatism and stuff to my provinces. I also can't make enough money to field anything close to my force limit and I end up taking out loans over and over which just seems to work against me in the long run. I end up spending a lot of military points on lowering rebel progress because it just gets so frustrating.

With Golden Horde I was able to vassalize Crimea and eat half of Nogai and Kazan, but just as I was stabilizing from that Muscovy invades me. I'm a tech behind, I have to take out a few hundred in loans to field enough mercs to match them and I still get wiped easily, even with Uzbek's 15 stacks helping out. I can't get Ottomans to ally me no matter what I do either.

With Uzbek I can knock out Nogai and Kazan easily, and eat most of Oirat, but after that I'm stuck running around for ages fighting rebels. My khan died without an adult heir and that knocked my unity down to 40 or so. I allied Yarkand (was this a mistake?) meaning Timurids are my only choice for lands to raze. I could probably take them at this point, they've gotten wrecked by rebels too, but I'm just too broke and have no manpower.

What am I doing wrong?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

shallowj posted:

does anyone have some advice for hordes? I tried both Golden Horde and Uzbek. I keep getting stuck in really frustrating and un-fun cycles of rebel squashing that suck up all my manpower so I can't wage war to get territory to raze, which creates unrest and makes more rebels to squash, etc. Uzbek especially was annoying because of the huge travel times to get anywhere so the rebels keep adding separatism and stuff to my provinces. I also can't make enough money to field anything close to my force limit and I end up taking out loans over and over which just seems to work against me in the long run. I end up spending a lot of military points on lowering rebel progress because it just gets so frustrating.

With Golden Horde I was able to vassalize Crimea and eat half of Nogai and Kazan, but just as I was stabilizing from that Muscovy invades me. I'm a tech behind, I have to take out a few hundred in loans to field enough mercs to match them and I still get wiped easily, even with Uzbek's 15 stacks helping out. I can't get Ottomans to ally me no matter what I do either.

With Uzbek I can knock out Nogai and Kazan easily, and eat most of Oirat, but after that I'm stuck running around for ages fighting rebels. My khan died without an adult heir and that knocked my unity down to 40 or so. I allied Yarkand (was this a mistake?) meaning Timurids are my only choice for lands to raze. I could probably take them at this point, they've gotten wrecked by rebels too, but I'm just too broke and have no manpower.

What am I doing wrong?

Just go Humanist ideas. You have like -15 or -20 years of Separatism then.

EDIT: I wish idea group events would have some kind of little border or something in the corner telling you why you got that event. I have a lot of them memorized but I think some of the new loyalty/estates events are tied to idea group and I can't tell which ones.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

shallowj posted:

What am I doing wrong?

You bumping autonomy? I'm playing as Mongolia and not having any issues at all. You do have to keep a close eye on where the separatists are at, and be ready for when they're going to revolt though.

GreyPowerVan posted:

EDIT: I wish idea group events would have some kind of little border or something in the corner telling you why you got that event. I have a lot of them memorized but I think some of the new loyalty/estates events are tied to idea group and I can't tell which ones.

:agreed:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

I swear I had nothing to do with this plucky underdog story. I just scrolled around and noticed that holy poo poo, Theodoro is a regional power. I'm happy to report that I'm allied to the lil' guy and I intend to do whatever it takes to keep the magic going. At least until Lithuania's ally France comes in to stomp me :gonk:

Also, interesting sidenote: in this game, the RNW generated a massive Atlantic ocean which is entirely empty, the continent starts far to the west. So far it's untouched, instead all the colonizers are gunning hard for Africa and Asia ahead of the normal schedule. I love this kind of butterfly effect in EU.

Guildencrantz fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 4, 2015

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Guildencrantz posted:

I swear I had nothing to do with this plucky underdog story. I just scrolled around and noticed that holy poo poo, Theodoro is a regional power. I'm happy to report that I'm allied to the lil' guy and I intend to do whatever it takes to keep the magic going.

(At least until Lithuania's ally France comes in to stomp me :gonk: )

go goths woo!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

The default (game start) assignments are dumb too, thanks for giving this 4/4/3 salt province to nobility and the 7/7/3 iron province to the clergy. Optimizing it justs costs so much loyalty. I guess the start values are there for the AI? I doubt it is historical.

Also something I just tried because my save got messed up, adopting the Oligarchic Administration decision as Burgundy didn't get rid of estates, I did however keep my PUs since I still technically have a royal house. Apparently you can't change to other forms of republics while you have PUs tough.

The obvious answer is only play OPMs. Your capital can't have any estates assigned to it.

shallowj posted:

What am I doing wrong?

I started with Kazan, allied Timmy and used them to whipe out Nogai, then Uzbeck and I gave them territory in both wars (knowing they'd explode soon anyway) then got them to help me take out the Golden Horde. They should explode soon and then I can take them out and the Ottomans are close to allying with me now. I raise autonomy on every province as I take them and my rebel problems aren't that bad at all. They key with hordes is you want constant war, never stop warring! I would wager that with humanist I would very rarely have any rebels at all.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

deathbagel posted:

The obvious answer is only play OPMs. Your capital can't have any estates assigned to it.

I started with Kazan, allied Timmy and used them to whipe out Nogai, then Uzbeck and I gave them territory in both wars (knowing they'd explode soon anyway) then got them to help me take out the Golden Horde. They should explode soon and then I can take them out and the Ottomans are close to allying with me now. I raise autonomy on every province as I take them and my rebel problems aren't that bad at all. They key with hordes is you want constant war, never stop warring! I would wager that with humanist I would very rarely have any rebels at all.

I think it's really stupid that in order to keep my horde happy I have to raze my own drat settlements. Why the gently caress can't I raise an enemy settlement I have occupied? That both makes sense and would be something I would actually WANT to do. I dont want to decrease the dev of the settlement I just took by 3, why the gently caress would I want to do that?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I think it's really stupid that in order to keep my horde happy I have to raze my own drat settlements. Why the gently caress can't I raise an enemy settlement I have occupied? That both makes sense and would be something I would actually WANT to do. I dont want to decrease the dev of the settlement I just took by 3, why the gently caress would I want to do that?

They aren't your own settlements. You're destroying the houses of all the people who lived there and settling your own people :)

EDIT: Lol this random new world is so huge that one "Explore the waters of XXX" mission took 10+ years. I hired an explorer, fought a few wars, and then he randomly died and I look and it still wasn't done.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I have some dumb questions about ironman Russia.

I spent a little while banging my head against start strategies for Novgorod but eventually gave up, maybe you just have to be good at this game in a way that I am not but it seemed like an un-fun kind of hard. I switched to Muscovy and immediately ha a better time, I only restarted once when I realized that I shouldn't have taken the 'conquer Novogorod' mission straight off because it would take me more than one war to annex them.

I've played a couple hundred hours of this game but always as western nations before, and I've never done such a military-heavy nation. Right now it's 1533 and I've conquered a fat stripe from the White Sea to the Black Sea and the Caspian. I don't think I made optimal use of the CBs from the 'conquer the steppes' or 'conquer Crimea' missions (they always seemed to expire right as I was gearing up for the last war I needed to finish them), but I've expanded about as quickly as I can with the admin points I have and having to camp out waiting for rebels to spawn between wars.

I took Defensive ideas first and then Humanist, but I'm not sure what to go for next. I'm about ready to annex Perm and in theory start expanding out towards the pacific with colonization, does that mean I should take Exploration next or am I better off waiting for Expansion or even the free settler from the Muscovite ideas chain? If so, which Diplo idea should I go for?

Are the province bonuses from estates good enough that I should be granting all my land to them? All I've really done so far is throw some low-dev high-separatism provinces to the clergy when they complained.

Should I have formed Russia already? I am worried that the claims it gives me will expire like the mission CBs so I haven't prioritized it, and I'm missing the Smolensk/Ryazan requirement. Ryazan was annoying, they got conquered and turned in to a Golden Horde vassal and even after I had them released they were nowhere close to accepting vassalization from me so I had to wait out a royal marriage and break an alliance with them to even get ready to conquer. It doesn't really make sense to me that this two-province zero-ally nation would refuse to be vassalized by a neighboring military colossus just because my economy isn't quite as many orders of magnitude ahead of theirs as they'd like. At least I have a border friction CB.

Finally, what about westernization? I've been kinda trying to keep up on military tech but I'm spending so much adm and diplo on conquering, annexing, culture-swapping and coring that I wouldn't have to wait too long to be 7 behind Norway or Sweden. Do I go that route to westernize early or should I shoot for 'Western Focus' instead? I have yet to attack any of my western neighbors because there were too many easy pickings to the North and South. I guess I could probably get hold of Danzig with three or four wars but my borders would be really ugly.

Should I just restart and focus more on forming Russia as soon as possible and making early gains westwards?

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 4, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jamsque posted:

I spent a little while banging my head against start strategies for Novgorod but eventually gave up, maybe you just have to be good at this game in a way that I am not but it seemed like an un-fun kind of hard. I switched to Muscovy and immediately ha a better time, I only restarted once when I realized that I shouldn't have taken the 'conquer Novogorod' mission straight off because it would take me more than one war to annex them.

I've played a couple hundred hours of this game but always as western nations before, and I've never done such a military-heavy nation. Right now it's 1533 and I've conquered a fat stripe from the White Sea to the Black Sea and the Caspian. I don't think I made optimal use of the CBs from the 'conquer the steppes' or 'conquer Crimea' missions (they always seemed to expire right as I was gearing up for the last war I needed to finish them), but I've expanded about as quickly as I can with the admin points I have and having to camp out waiting for rebels to spawn between wars.

I took Defensive ideas first and then Humanist, but I'm not sure what to go for next. I'm about ready to annex Perm and in theory start expanding out towards the pacific with colonization, does that mean I should take Exploration next or am I better off waiting for Expansion or even the free settler from the Muscovite ideas chain? If so, which Diplo idea should I go for?

Are the province bonuses from estates good enough that I should be granting all my land to them? All I've really done so far is throw some low-dev high-separatism provinces to the clergy when they complained.

Should I have formed Russia already? I am worried that the claims it gives me will expire like the mission CBs so I haven't prioritized it, and I'm missing the Smolensk/Ryazan requirement. Ryazan was annoying, they got conquered and turned in to a Golden Horde vassal and even after I had them released they were nowhere close to accepting vassalization from me so I had to wait out a royal marriage and break an alliance with them to even get ready to conquer. It doesn't really make sense to me that this two-province zero-ally nation would refuse to be vassalized by a neighboring military colossus just because my economy isn't quite as many orders of magnitude ahead of theirs as they'd like. At least I have a border friction CB.

Finally, what about westernization? I've been kinda trying to keep up on military tech but I'm spending so much adm and diplo on conquering, annexing, culture-swapping and coring that I wouldn't have to wait too long to be 7 behind Norway or Sweden. Do I go that route to westernize early or should I shoot for 'Western Focus' instead? I have yet to attack any of my western neighbors because there were too many easy pickings to the North and South. I guess I could probably get hold of Danzig with three or four wars but my borders would be really ugly.

Should I just restart and focus more on forming Russia as soon as possible and making early gains westwards?

Take exploration or expansion. BTW Religious is great on muscovy because the Deus Vult CB lets you take provinces for 0 diplo cost, so you can take chunks out of everyone around.

EDIT: I think forming Russia gives you permanent claims now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jamsque posted:

Absolutely take the Conquer Novgorod mission. It gives you claims on all of Novgorod's provinces, so in the first war you take all of their border provinces and make them an enclave so nobody else can grab a piece of them. Just don't take Novgorod itself in the first war. Once you've started coring everything, cancel the mission, and after your truce expires, take it again and finish the job.

Form Russia ASAP, the claims don't expire. Shoot for Western Focus, you can release Danzig in a war, and then diplovassalize and annex them once you're huge. You get a flat -10% tech cost in your national ideas as well, so Westernization isn't a thing you should pour a lot of effort into.

And like GreyPowerVan said, you'd have been way better off taking Religious ideas either first or second (if you want to take Explo first for a colonization rush).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You should definitely restart. Here's like 2-3 pages of discussion about Muscovy/Russia strats that we had a while back: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=118

Some stuff will be slightly outdated since it's from like 5 months ago, but the general strategies should still apply. Without just copy/pasting what I wrote back then, my general Muscovy strategy is to go Religious->Exploration->Offensive as my first three ideas, declare on Novgorod day 1 and cut them off like PittTheElder said, declare on Livonian Order and feed all of their lands (it used to add up to 99% war score, might not work if their provinces have been changed in Cossacks) to Pskov, declare on any horde that looks weak below you, feed any land you can to Perm, annex Pskov and Perm, immediately focus everything on colonizing all of Siberia. The provinces you get aren't super great but they're revolt/risk free, and the production and trade income will start piling up very quickly. Then once you've got your nice solid economy going you can descend onto Asia and easily swallow up tons of provinces in easy wars.

Again, this is slightly outdated so picking on the Asian/steppe tribes especially might be different now that they have some different mechanics, but in general the go-to start for Muscovy is pretty much always Eat Novgorod, pick on weak neighbors, dominate Asia, turn towards Ottos/Europe once you're big enough. Definitely don't worry about Lithuania for the first hundred years or so unless something crazy happens and they fall apart. But they're one of the stronger nations in the game in the beginning so it's not worth pissing them off just for some territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Thanks for the tips, I think I'm gonna restart and go for Religious ideas first. I see what you mean about the Novgorod mission, what I did was take the mission to re-conquer your core in Arkhangelsk first but having all the claims would have made coring the other provinces I took in that war cheaper.

Is it really not worth taking a military idea chain first or second with such a combat-heavy nation? I guess I don't really know what advantages are to be gained by getting out to the Pacific as quickly as possible.

• Locked thread