Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

This is from many pages ago, but holy lol

quote:

Another Bush 2000 alumnus said to me: “Why do people take such an instant dislike to Ted Cruz? It just saves time.”

quote:

Asked about Cruz at a fund-raiser last spring, John Boehner responded by raising a lone finger — the middle one.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Now we move to the Paul (R-GG) amendment which creates a District of Columbia concealed carry program, allow military personnel to concealed carry on bases, and create national reciprocity for concealed carry laws.

The Paul amendment fails 54-45.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if we just give the Muslims, like, Mississippi or something.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DOOP posted:

Is this by federal law, the *NC rules, or some sort of gentlemans agreement?

State law in New Hampshire. Just *NC tradition for Iowa.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

greatn posted:

Traditionally that's Oklahoma's role.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

greatn posted:

If we do that then native americans should get a state or two.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

The distinction you're trying to make isn't convincing. The dude that shot up PP is no less scary because he's white. Normal, peaceful Muslims look at yesterday's shooters and think "those people are crazy" and they are 100% right.

You're correct, but lets not split hairs and say that the culture of Islam isn't backwards in a lot of ways. Normal peaceful muslims also believe in a pretty high percentage that people who try to leave the religion should be executed. It's almost as if internal cultures of groups sometimes have counterproductive views that negatively effect everyone.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

greatn posted:

Mississippi is really only fit as a DMZ or something

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Mississippi is really only fit as a DMZ or something

So refugees should feel right at home? :haw:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

A Winner is Jew posted:

If we do that then native americans should get a state or two.

Muslims get Mississippi. Native Americans get Alabama and Tennessee, Cuba gets Florida

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Galt's Gulch

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Rubio amendment (something about the risk corridor provision) is not agreed to 52-47.

Now we move to the Reid (D-NV) amendment which removes the tax on "Cadillac" plans. It passes on a voice vote.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Farook destroyed digital evidence before he went on his rampage.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

DeusExMachinima posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6ef3_story.html

All guns used in the shooting were Cali legal. RIP Obama's gun control attempt (even more than it already was).

Why is that a bad thing for Obama? Laws could actually do something here. If they were illegal we'd just get a bunch of "criminals will buy illegal guns anyway so why bother with laws" stuff.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Prayer_for_Rain_in_the_State_of_Texas

Yeah God sure does answer prayers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Less people died in all the mass shooting between 1999-2013 than all the victims of 9/11

Uh.... are you being serious because those numbers are completely wrong.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Also, Martin Shkreli is upset about all the press Donald Trump is getting and demands your attention.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Why is that a bad thing for Obama? Laws could actually do something here. If they were illegal we'd just get a bunch of "criminals will buy illegal guns anyway so why bother with laws" stuff.

No see if the guns are illegal then gun laws won't work and if the guns are legal then gun laws can't work.

The only thing that could possibly work is more guns, let's try that again.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010
I think our efforts at gun control have been pretty good so far. At least the shooters weren't using automatic weapons or grenades like the Paris attacks. Would have been a lot worse if that were the case.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Got an article that sources something other than the moonie times?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

greatn posted:

Muslims get Mississippi. Native Americans get Alabama and Tennessee, Cuba gets Florida

What the hell did Muslims, Natives or Cubans do to you to deserve such a poo poo platter?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Actually maybe I'm being to hard on the moonies, after all msnbc has an article where its mentioned maybe its a case of folie à deux.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Baldwin amendment (expand healthcare plan access) is not agreed to (45-54).

Now we move to the Murphy (D-CT) amendment which would preserve Obamacare for pregnant woman, victims of domestic violence, people with terminal illnesses, etc.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Is there a "Why the gently caress are we playing this charade" amendment Joe?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think this is the last or second-to-last vote. But the reason for all this is that there's only one budget bill and sometimes a budget reconciliation bill (which this is) each year. All amendments to budget bills are considered in order, so Senators can use them to do messaging votes or proxy votes on bills that they have which are bottled up in committee.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Got an article that sources something other than the moonie times?

'Sall I got at the moment :shrug:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Samurai posted:

Y'all so busy tilting at trolls that you missed this new wrinkle from Trump.

Trump irks Jewish donors with comments on Mideast peace
I actually agree with him on the whole "Good luck ever having peace in the region if you want Jerusalem all to yourselves" thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Joementum posted:

The Baldwin amendment (expand healthcare plan access) is not agreed to (45-54).

Now we move to the Murphy (D-CT) amendment which would preserve Obamacare for pregnant woman, victims of domestic violence, people with terminal illnesses, etc.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Murphy knows it's going to fail, he and the dems just want it on record that the Republicans voted against pregnant woman, victims of domestic violence, and people with terminal illness for all those sweet 2016 political ads.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

The Paul amendment fails 54-45.

Did the senate parliamentarian say that the reconciliation bill to repeal Obamacare was ok to do?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sydin posted:

Murphy knows it's going to fail, he and the dems just want it on record that the Republicans voted against pregnant woman, victims of domestic violence, and people with terminal illness for all those sweet 2016 political ads.

Well duh, those people have had it easy for too long.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

Did the senate parliamentarian say that the reconciliation bill to repeal Obamacare was ok to do?

Yup. It'll be voted on after all this. It doesn't *fully* repeal Obamacare because the parliamentarian thought that was against the rules for whatever reason, so it just removes most of the revenue provisions and the medicaid expansion.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Is amending a bill that is known to be a guaranteed veto the same as rearranging chairs on the titanic? I hope there is a nice violin group playing on the floor of the senate at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5zGkqAWsWE

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

On Terra Firma posted:

Honestly shocked nobody has put forward gun control measures that only apply to muslims today.

I think the "Block gun sales to the no-fly list!" I've seen a lot of lately half-counts here.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Is amending a bill that is known to be a guaranteed veto the same as rearranging chairs on the titanic? I hope there is a nice violin group playing on the floor of the senate at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5zGkqAWsWE

They're actually playing Reigns of Castemere or whatever that song was.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

The motion is not agreed to 46-53, the point of order is sustained and the motion falls.

Now move to a voice vote on the Republicans' substitute amendment to the bill, which passes. This is the meat of the bill. Now we move to the vote on passage.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Banning guns for Muslims is like possibly the most unconstitutional law I can imagine.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

euphronius posted:

Banning guns for Muslims is like possibly the most unconstitutional law I can imagine.

That's why it has the greatest shot at being passed.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

euphronius posted:

They follow the Quran not the bibleConstitution so nope sorry not American enough for guns.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

"In a 5-4 decision...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Reddit - Guns, Gold

I'm assuming Republican - Galt's Gulch

An under appreciated joke on Joe's part.

• Locked thread