Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but its better than Alien Resurrection :cheeky:

The Lowest Bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I loved Prometheus. Then again, it was one of the first films I saw in 3D and me and my friends got shitfaced because we had the theater all to ourselves.

Not ever going to watch it again because I'm sure that'll ruin the good memories.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

FreudianSlippers posted:

I actually like Prometheus and am fairly certain that how stupid and shortsighted everyone is totally intentional. I mean it's not nearly as good as Alien or Aliens but it's far better than Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection and at least as good as Planet of the Vampires.

When the guy whose only job is to draw a map of the temple gets lost, it is a commentary on man's hubris.

When he tries to pet the demon ooze snake, it is an allusion to Homer's The Odyssey, where the crew eat the cattle of the sun.

When the evil Charlize Theron uses a flamethrower to keep the demon zombie monsters off the ship, it symbolizes how Charlize Theron is a heartless bitch, please hate her

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Taeke posted:

I loved Prometheus. Then again, it was one of the first films I saw in 3D and me and my friends got shitfaced because we had the theater all to ourselves.

Not ever going to watch it again because I'm sure that'll ruin the good memories.

I really don't get all the hate for it. It has gigantic plot holes that I noticed instantly, but so does every single major Hollywood movie for the most part. I don't see why people don't hate on everything else for the same reason, but whatever.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When the guy whose only job is to draw a map of the temple gets lost, it is a commentary on man's hubris.

When he tries to pet the demon ooze snake, it is an allusion to Homer's The Odyssey, where the crew eat the cattle of the sun.

When the evil Charlize Theron uses a flamethrower to keep the demon zombie monsters off the ship, it symbolizes how Charlize Theron is a heartless bitch, please hate her

The scientists being idiots actually makes complete sense when you realize the Prometheus expedition had nothing to do with science and everything to do with getting Weilan to a planet with Engineers so he could achieve immortality. Why bother spending money on actual competent scientists when you can get bargain barrel idiots? Also his job wasn't to draw a map, he was a geologist who was there to analyze samples and date things, which is why he freaked the gently caress out when he found out he was on a planet full of dead aliens

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

The Lowest Bar.

Allegedly they didn't have to cgi Sigourney's over the back nothing but net shot. That was pretty cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Allegedly they didn't have to cgi Sigourney's over the back nothing but net shot. That was pretty cool.

It cuts away so quick because Ron Perlman accidentally broke character when it happened.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I actually like Prometheus and am fairly certain that how stupid and shortsighted everyone is totally intentional. I mean it's not nearly as good as Alien or Aliens but it's far better than Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection and at least as good as Planet of the Vampires.

I like Prometheus too, and think it gets rather unfairly poo poo on.

That said, if you own the Blu-Ray consider checking out the HORRIBLE deleted scenes. Holy poo poo are they awful, and utterly ruin/negate/gently caress up everything I think the movie got right. They translate the Engineer's talk, have David explicitly lay out the "message" of the film, and instead of ending with Shaw being resolute in her goals but also reflective of her identity and somewhat sympathetic towards David's limitations, she is aggressive, condescending and appears to have learned nothing from her time on the planet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

It cuts away so quick because Ron Perlman accidentally broke character when it happened.

Weaver has said that she's really pissed off the ball went out of the top of the frame because now nobody will believe it wasn't a dummy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Taeke posted:

On the basis of alcohol and friends, _Pet Sematary 2_ is the best movie I've ever seen.

I have also never rewatched it.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Memento posted:

Except the three teenagers that make them in whichever book it is. I mean, the argument there is "Hermione is a prodigy and is wizarding at a much higher level than other students" but it's not impossible.

You're right, but I was referring to the love potion. Although the polyjuice would still be rife for abuse in that manner as well

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
For a potential sexual abuser the love potion is MUCH more effective. Wasn't Ron uncontrollably in love with some girl after eating chocolates meant for Harry? Why both using the polyjuice potion when you can make a love potion that does literally all of the work for you?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The scientists being idiots actually makes complete sense when you realize the Prometheus expedition had nothing to do with science and everything to do with getting Weilan to a planet with Engineers so he could achieve immortality. Why bother spending money on actual competent scientists when you can get bargain barrel idiots?

Of all the wishful justifications for Prometheus making sense, the idea that a multi-billion dollar expedition went with bargain-barrel crewmembers to save a buck doesn't even come close to standing up. It's like people who believe that school districts won't hire teachers with advanced degrees because of they cost too much in salary. The only people who believe this stuff have never run anything and have no idea how hiring decisions are made, but the simplistic logic appeals to the It Just Makes Sense crowd.

Prometheus is what you get when Damon Lindelof hears someone say, "Show, don't tell," and thinks, "Hey! What if I also... don't tell..."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The scientists being idiots actually makes complete sense when you realize the Prometheus expedition had nothing to do with science and everything to do with getting Weilan to a planet with Engineers so he could achieve immortality. Why bother spending money on actual competent scientists when you can get bargain barrel idiots? Also his job wasn't to draw a map, he was a geologist who was there to analyze samples and date things, which is why he freaked the gently caress out when he found out he was on a planet full of dead aliens

You don't need to be a particularly good geologist to know that you should not try to pet alien acid snakes.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You don't need to be a particularly good geologist to know that you should not try to pet alien acid snakes.
Yeah, I'm not an -ist of any sort and even I know it's probably not a good idea to pet alien acid snakes.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The weirdest thing in the Alien universe is the inability to ever have more than one robot in stock. And they always die. Robot is the new black.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Anosmoman posted:

The weirdest thing in the Alien universe is the inability to ever have more than one robot in stock. And they always die. Robot is the new black.

Bishop lived to see Alien3

He wants to die though and Ripley obliged him but he made it through two movies and then back into AvP as his human progenitor.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

For a potential sexual abuser the love potion is MUCH more effective. Wasn't Ron uncontrollably in love with some girl after eating chocolates meant for Harry? Why both using the polyjuice potion when you can make a love potion that does literally all of the work for you?

he was only so in love because the potion went bad and like trippled in strength, plus boys aren't allowed in the girls dorm plus every girl is equipped with a deadly weapon plus love potions are forbidden on campus. i'm sure there are no more assults than a standard mixed boarding school.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

HairyManling posted:

Yeah, I'm not an -ist of any sort and even I know it's probably not a good idea to pet alien acid snakes.

Well, that might make you a racist

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Phanatic posted:

On the basis of alcohol and friends, _Pet Sematary 2_ is the best movie I've ever seen.

I have also never rewatched it.

Do yourself a favor and don't rewatch it so you don't ruin the memory you somehow have that the movie was good in any way.

e: also talking about sexual assault in harry potter is silly. Yeah you can imagine all these ways of raping people with magic, but it's just as easy/valid to handwave a magic solution that prevents it from happening in school. Or maybe wizards are all just a bunch of rapists - who cares, either way it's just pointless speculation about a fictional world because nothing was written about that kind of stuff, so you'll never "know" for sure.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Dec 4, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Because everyone kept complaining about it or complaining about complaining I saw Prometheus today.

Great movie. I saw a hodor rip off a robot's head and beat an old man to death with it. What more was anyone hoping for?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Krinkle posted:

What more was anyone hoping for?

When they open the Engineer pod, Ellen Ripley sits up out of it and says,"Pay attention kid, this is where it gets complicated." Roll credits.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Someone in this thread said the bad deleted scenes had the engineer translated so I, you know, assumed the theatrical release would have an untranslated engineer talking. When he didn't talk it was the funniest thing, to me. Every time he doesn't talk it gets funnier.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Murphy Brownback posted:

e: also talking about sexual assault in harry potter is silly.

Voldemort was born because his mother used a magic drug to rape his father. Because he was born from rape instead of love, voldemort was unable to feel love ever, so he became hitler.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Van Dis posted:

Of all the wishful justifications for Prometheus making sense, the idea that a multi-billion dollar expedition went with bargain-barrel crewmembers to save a buck doesn't even come close to standing up. It's like people who believe that school districts won't hire teachers with advanced degrees because of they cost too much in salary. The only people who believe this stuff have never run anything and have no idea how hiring decisions are made, but the simplistic logic appeals to the It Just Makes Sense crowd.

Prometheus is what you get when Damon Lindelof hears someone say, "Show, don't tell," and thinks, "Hey! What if I also... don't tell..."

It's not really to "save a buck", they dropped a trillion dollars to get there. What I'm saying is that quality wasn't their top priority, so why waste time vetting and finding good scientists when we aren't actually going to do any science? Like in high school where they just have the football coach teach drivers Ed. Sure they could spend a bunch of time and effort finding a top tier drivers Ed teacher but coach Chucklefuck will do just fine let's use him.
Alsothe geologist didn't pet the acid dick snake, the biologist did. The geologist rightly freaked the gently caress out and wanted to run away .

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Alsothe geologist didn't pet the acid dick snake, the biologist did. The geologist rightly freaked the gently caress out and wanted to run away.

And you think this is better somehow? A geologist could at least be excused because living things aren't his specific field of expertise.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I wanted to feel bad for the prometheus robot but he murders the man after like one day of knowing him. His own dad gave a presentation "he's my son, sort of, ehhhhh... feel free to treat him like garbage like the soulless sack of poo poo he is" and one guy says "haha you don't breathe why are you even putting on a suit" and that's the last straw? Drink this pirate sherry I found in the alien's stash let's see what happens?

But don't hang around so I can see what happens, acutally. I feel like it was almost a lab trial, I mean if a scientist took some lipstick, rubbed it all up in the mucus membranes of a rabbit, and then released it into the wild because he didn't actually care if it was toxic or whatever.

If he stuck him in quarantine to see what was up that would be one thing but he lets him go on an away mission and doesn't even go observe. Why do it if he doesn't care?

Who sticks an electric probe in an alien head to trick it into thinking it's still alive? Did I black out and miss a better explanation for that?

How did the meat thermometer give them an instant carbon dating of the corpse without ever calibrating it to an alien planet's carbon 14 levels? Also would that even matter in an underground magic pocket of breathable air that presumably doesn't traffic with the poisonous churning miasma outside?

But besides all that I enjoyed it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I think for me it's because I was expecting more from the film. You can say, "Just turn your brain off" But for the prequel to one of the most influential and most loved films ever made you shouldn't have to just accept what's slopped in front of you.

In work, so can't post it, but it's heartbreaking that they changed Geo-Dude from an alien-hybrid into just a dude with a fat head. That was a big complaint of mine, like, why did "I LIKE ROCKS! YOU DON'T LIKE ROCKS! YOU LIKE ALIENS! THEY'RE NOT ROCKS! ROCKS! ROCKS!" Man just get a big head when he was exposed to the goo?

I'm already rambling, because there's just so much wrong with the film and it all boils down to the script. It should have been much tighter and much better for what it was.

Crank 2? It's dumb. It's great, but dumb. Turn your brain off for that film. Don't turn it off for a prequel to Alien.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Zaphod42 posted:

poo poo you're right. The two films just like blur together in my mind.

How about this for an Irritating Movie Moment:

Hollywood constantly does this thing where they find out somebody is making a movie so they rush to make the same movie at the same time, I guess to compete or steal their thunder or something. Its a huge dick move.

Antz vs A bug's life, for example. Same exact concept coming out at the same exact time from two different studios.

You see this poo poo constantly. "They're making a sci-fi movie! Lets make one!" "they're making a superhero movie, we should do that too." "Hey, disaster movie? Count us in too!"

Many years ago, I had a friend that interned with a Hollywood production studio. I can't remember the studios name but he ran a computer controlled camera.

What he told us is that all big movies come in threes. The good one gets announced, someone else hustles a similar version to the screens faster than the good one. The good one comes out and everyone loves it. A year later, someone makes a really lovely version of the first 2.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nutsngum posted:

Its like watching those awful tv "street" magicians who do amazing tricks that turn out to be post editing and just actors.
I saw one of these shows. The supposed magicians were the douchiest wankers ever, and one of their tricks was walking up to this group of women and one man, they get the man to "volunteer" and make him disappear, then all the women start fawning over them. The man is never seen again. It doesn't sound like there could be any way this was meant to be taken as legitimate, but I swear it was. Literally all their tricks were obviously done with actors for the audience, edited footage, or both, and the whole tone of the show was "look how cool these guys are, just walking around doing magic and all the ladies love them."

Murphy Brownback posted:

Yeah you can imagine all these ways of raping people with magic, but it's just as easy/valid to handwave a magic solution that prevents it from happening in school.
It would be if the bit where Ron gets drugged with a love potion didn't exist. And it just gets shrugged off as "Oh yeah, girls do this all the time, it's no big deal."

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It would be if the bit where Ron gets drugged with a love potion didn't exist. And it just gets shrugged off as "Oh yeah, girls do this all the time, it's no big deal."

Female on male rape is funny though, because

ChogsEnhour posted:

I'm already rambling, because there's just so much wrong with [Prometheus] and it all boils down to the script. It should have been much tighter and much better for what it was.

Blame Damon Lindelof. I don't know why or how he gets work when he is less capable of assembling a coherent script than most dogs.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

I meant more along the lines of the professors being trained to detect the effects of it before anything serious happened. It's still a very stupid thing to talk about. Yes, in a world where magic is real it could be used maliciously, but what are we getting out of it to sit here trying to figure out if hogwarts students are all raping each other?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It seems you all haven't read my magnum opus, Harry Rapist and the Secret of Rapewarts.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Tiggum posted:

I saw one of these shows. The supposed magicians were the douchiest wankers ever, and one of their tricks was walking up to this group of women and one man, they get the man to "volunteer" and make him disappear, then all the women start fawning over them. The man is never seen again. It doesn't sound like there could be any way this was meant to be taken as legitimate, but I swear it was. Literally all their tricks were obviously done with actors for the audience, edited footage, or both, and the whole tone of the show was "look how cool these guys are, just walking around doing magic and all the ladies love them."

I always disliked shows like this because of the superdouche magicians but at least I thought they were drat good tricks to be doing this kind of poo poo in the middle of the street with strangers around. Learning it is literally all staged just made me hate them even more. You cant even call yourself a magician at that point.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Nutsngum posted:

I always disliked shows like this because of the superdouche magicians but at least I thought they were drat good tricks to be doing this kind of poo poo in the middle of the street with strangers around. Learning it is literally all staged just made me hate them even more. You cant even call yourself a magician at that point.

I've yet to meet anybody who is into street magic who isn't a slimy rear end in a top hat. Including my once best friend who slowly transformed into a MRA and learnt street magic to try and up his "bang count"

LeJackal posted:

Blame Damon Lindelof. I don't know why or how he gets work when he is less capable of assembling a coherent script than most dogs.

There's another name for my list! :hellyeah: My list of people who should really know better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The administration of Harry Potter School probably just mixes in a potion of no raping into every meal the cafeteria serves.

So I guess like maybe the one weird kid who has to have all his specially prepared meals shipped in because of his allergies could be a hardcore rapist but the rest are probably fine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought we pretty much solved this rape issue with the response of extremely strict curfew (plus they don't allow boys into the girls' dormitories and vice versa). Why are we still talking about it?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think this thread should be renamed PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: Star Wars, Harry Potter & Prometheus

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There was that one professor who got raped by centaurs in book 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
You people are really weird. I assume the rate of sexual assault in the wizard world is roughly the same as it is in the real world simply because most people aren't rapists. You're all acting like the only thing keeping us from raping everyone we see in the real world is that it just isn't easy enough without magic.