Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Antti posted:

That's a very interesting question. I think it's simply because it's a culturally significant city, the former capitol city of a global empire and above all else an old city in the Anglosphere. If you're a British or Commonwealth author it's a pretty obvious choice, and even for US authors American cities don't have the same kind of history that London has. Doing research will also be fairly easy for an English-speaking author even if you don't have the opportunity to travel to London, and the treshold to travelling to London is low (and you may well have already been there before) if you are from an English-speaking country. In some stories, the fact that London is so old directly plays into why London has some supernatural property.

London works fine for an international audience too since it's a big tourist destination and because everyone knows London by some degree from English language popular culture. It's like New York or Paris in that sense.

Personally I think it's more likely because London is closer to where a lot of the mythology we read might plausibly exist. I'd have a hard time suspending my disbelief for a story about the hidden magical culture in Toronto or even New York. The Magicians and American Gods have been the only recent examples that I can think of where it was done in a plausible way.

Now if someone was to write / had written a story where North American native mythology is given a cool new spin, I'd be all over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, there's a massive step-up between Gardens and Deadhouse. The opening of Deadhouse with all the Morrowindy unknown desert spirits is exactly why I keep coming back.

I was actually going to use Bakker as a comparison of what I wish Malazan was. Because once you get past the fantasy names (and make no mistake, Bakker's names are painfully terrible at times) all the characters and their motivations are pretty well explained (Xerious and Conphas you crazy Ikurei bastards :allears: ) and it actually spends time sketching out the philosophies of the various groups, which actually gives some material that can be used for speculation - the arguments I've had about Kellhus' intentions are the kind that are usually accompanied by table thumping and pint-glass waving.

Also Nil'giccas/Cleric/Incariol could totally beat up Anomander Rake. :colbert:

Eh, Cleric gets beaten down by Achamian, while Rake is more or less literally a god. :v:

As for the Malazan/Bakker comparison, I kinda agree. Bakker is better at explaining things and philosophies as they come up, while Erikson more presents a mystery that slowly resolves itself.
Both are great books, and I can't wait for both The Unholy Consult and Fall of Light.

Neurosis posted:

I love Gene Wolfe but could not get into Malazan. Whereas Wolfe has beautiful prose and imagery and some very strange settings to carry my interest when events are opaque Malazan just reads like schlock fantasy. Or at least Gardens of the Moon does. There's nothing to maintain my interest until things come together.

GotM is a bad start of the series. It shines once you have read the entire series, FoD and then rereads it (mind you, that is only 11 000 pages), but I can see why people have a hard time with it as an introduction to the series.
Then again LotR is pretty boring the first 100 pages.
As for Gene Wolfe, it have been a long time since I read it, but I remember it as more of a dreamy tale in a weird world. Kinda reminiscent of Elric in some ways.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Ceebees posted:

I felt like he kind of dropped the ball on The Paladin Job. A really fantastical bad-guy concept that the previous two books had both been leading up to just ended up very... mundane in execution. To give an example, the evil office meetings were very evil, yes, but way, way too humanizing for exactly who was participating. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Besides which, the ending was so over the top and had so many twists, it felt like it was trying too hard, and most of the characters are kinda one-note. A few of them get a bit of depth, fair, but the others just spend the whole book being glibly whedonesque so you can tell exactly which archetype they are. Maybe there's something to be said with the ones that do get development subverting the expectations that everyone will be a understood-at-a-glance quip engine, but i'd place my money on him just running low on ideas. The plots roll along entertainingly enough, and the dialogue will probably make you smile momentarily, but there's nothing to digest, nor anything that really sticks with you.

Yea. It was kinda interesting for about 70% of the book, and then it just went off the loving rails. I guess he just decided to wrap up the trilogy and call it a day.

It felt kinda like he got told it was the last season of a tv show and he had to fit ALL THESE IDEAS into one last hurrah, and it was pretty scattershot.

I mean, it's a good book, but the first 2 were way better.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Another big book bundle on Humble. It's all short story collections, but pretty good ones.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Cardiac posted:

GotM is a bad start of the series. It shines once you have read the entire series, FoD and then rereads it (mind you, that is only 11 000 pages), but I can see why people have a hard time with it as an introduction to the series.
Then again LotR is pretty boring the first 100 pages.

Wasn't GotM written like a decade before the rest of the Malazan books? In any case, the writing is substantially improved in Deadhouse.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

tooterfish posted:

I won't argue with your other points, but this is bullshit.

Back when the likes of Manchester were "nothing special", neither was London quite frankly. They're both actually contemporaries, they were established as Roman forts at roughly the same time. It's only relatively recently (in historical terms) that London has come to dominate politically and culturally,

Come on, I phrased that badly but you're being obtuse. They're a lot younger in terms of being important English cities. London has been England's capital for over a millennium and nowhere else has had that staying power - did you know England's second city used to be Norwich? Manchester, for instance, wasn't that important until the Industrial Revolution, which is a lot more recent than London's importance...

quote:

and that's a matter of policy rather than anything inherently special about the place... because frankly it's a loving shithole. A shithole that just happens to be full of self congratulatory toffs. :colbert:

I did say that one of the reasons more people write about London is that it's in the South :v:

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 3, 2015

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
The Roman London was also a city of tens of thousands of people while Manchester was a fort. London really was THE CITY for Britannia for the longest time. Nothing wrong with hometown pride but come on...

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Megazver posted:

Another big book bundle on Humble. It's all short story collections, but pretty good ones.

storybundle has another sf/f bundle curated by Jeff & Ann VanderMeer that looks pretty good: https://storybundle.com/fiction

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is Terry Brooks' Shannara stuff worth reading? Someone reminded me about it being made into a miniseries or whatever and I realized I've never actually read the books.

And if they are worth reading, some googling shows that there's a prequel trilogy? Should I read that before the normal sequence?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Is Terry Brooks' Shannara stuff worth reading? Someone reminded me about it being made into a miniseries or whatever and I realized I've never actually read the books.

And if they are worth reading, some googling shows that there's a prequel trilogy? Should I read that before the normal sequence?

The Shannara books were written at a time when Tolkien was considered god, and if you were to write any high fantasy, you were either going to borrow heavily from him, or not do it at all.

I read the shannara books starting back when I was in fourth grade and absolutely loved them. I couldn't get through the first two chapters five years ago. Unless you love reading (and I mean LOVE) Tolkien, or have never read a fantasy book ever, you're going to find the series immensely boring, bland, predictable, routine, and lacking in characterization.

Some people say that it gets better from the second 'series' on, but...

If you do read them, read from publication order not inbook timeline.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 3, 2015

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Drifter posted:

The Shannara books were written at a time when Tolkien was considered god, and if you were to write any high fantasy, you were either going to borrow heavily from him, or not do it at all.

In part this is true, in that Tolkien has always been heavily respected. But Shannara is what really set that as holy canon: the monstrous success of those Tolkienesque books prompted publishers to scoop up all the Tolkien knockoffs they could find, and really solidified that aesthetic's death-grip on fantasy. Compare mid-70s fantasy to late 80s and you'll see some huge differences.

Interestingly, for real nerds out there, this process is mirrored in the development of D&D, where late 70s first ed is an amalgam of fantasy influences that can seem really weird to us today, and 2nd ed is a much more homogenized product with all of what we consider the oddball stuff that doesn't seem to belong in "proper" generic fantasy filed off (psionics, cross-time and tech mixing, outer planar stuff slowly demphasized over time). What gets lost is the process that made this generic fantasy in the first place. All that 1st ed stuff came from fantasy novels, too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WarLocke posted:

In 2015 the value of those books is mostly historical. Shannara was basically written to prove that Tolkien mad libs fantasy could be a profitable genre.

Go read something actually good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megazver posted:

In 2015 the value of those books is mostly historical. Shannara was basically written to prove that Tolkien mad libs fantasy could be a profitable genre.

Go read something actually good.
I'd say this is true a well. Suggest something good for him to read. And don't say David Eddings' Belgariad (even though it's definitely better than Shannara). If you're stuck on old school high fantasy, Memories of Sorrow and Thorn or Paksennarion maybe. Heck, even Feist's Magician series. Ooh, Hickman's Death Gate Cycle.

Xotl posted:

In part this is true, in that Tolkien has always been heavily respected. But Shannara is what really set that as holy canon: the monstrous success of those Tolkienesque books prompted publishers to scoop up all the Tolkien knockoffs they could find, and really solidified that aesthetic's death-grip on fantasy. Compare mid-70s fantasy to late 80s and you'll see some huge differences.

Interestingly, for real nerds out there, this process is mirrored in the development of D&D, where late 70s first ed is an amalgam of fantasy influences that can seem really weird to us today, and 2nd ed is a much more homogenized product with all of what we consider the oddball stuff that doesn't seem to belong in "proper" generic fantasy filed off (psionics, cross-time and tech mixing, outer planar stuff slowly demphasized over time). What gets lost is the process that made this generic fantasy in the first place. All that 1st ed stuff came from fantasy novels, too.
You explained it better than I did. Thank you. Brooks was among the Alpha.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 3, 2015

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Drifter posted:

I'd say this is true a well. Suggest something good for him to read. And don't say David Eddings' Belgariad (even though it's definitely better than Shannara). If you're stuck on old school high fantasy, Memories of Sorrow and Thorn or Paksennarion maybe. Heck, even Feist's Magician series. Ooh, Hickman's Death Gate Cycle.

Speaking of 70s era fantasy, I recently got a hankering (which I will probably never act on) to re-read Niel Hancock's "Circle of Light" books.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Drifter posted:

Ooh, Hickman's Death Gate Cycle.

This sounds familiar. Protagonist is a wizard dude with magical tattoos? World was broken up into elemental versions (ie, a 'water world', 'fire world', etc)? I think I read one book of this years ago.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Holy poo poo Sword of Shannara was released seven years after Nine Princes in Amber.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

There is no recommendation of The Deed of Paksenarrion (and the followup, Paladin's Legacy) that is too hyperbolic.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Don't read Memory Sorrow and Thorn as suggested above. I remember reading a decade ago GRRM had been inspired by those books because they proved to him fantasy didn't have to be bland Tolkien crap. I started to read and kept waiting for the books to get better and it never happened.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

There is no recommendation of The Deed of Paksenarrion (and the followup, Paladin's Legacy) that is too hyperbolic.

It was good

Neurosis posted:

Don't read Memory Sorrow and Thorn as suggested above. I remember reading a decade ago GRRM had been inspired by those books because they proved to him fantasy didn't have to be bland Tolkien crap. I started to read and kept waiting for the books to get better and it never happened.

Yeah, they were pretty 'ehh'. Not awful, just sort of overly long and relatively predictable. Somewhat interesting in places if I recall correctly, but nothing special.

Oh, btw, is the Shadowmarch set of books anything better?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NinjaDebugger posted:

Best novel about your first edition AD&D paladin ever

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Best novel about your first edition AD&D paladin ever

More like the best D&D fiction ever written, license or no license. Though allegedly Paks wasn't an actual character, just an idea of one inspired by some nerd talk, and is more of an OD&D paladin. Also, Paladin's Legacy, the followup series that was written like 30 years later, centers on other characters. Paksenarrion shows up occasionally, but isn't a POV character.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I really liked Deed of Paksenarrion, but was wary of the other books in the setting once Paks wasn't the focus. The Legacy of Gird spinoff didn't really seem that novel since they seemed like more traditional heroes quest stuff.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

NinjaDebugger posted:

More like the best D&D fiction ever written, license or no license. Though allegedly Paks wasn't an actual character, just an idea of one inspired by some nerd talk, and is more of an OD&D paladin. Also, Paladin's Legacy, the followup series that was written like 30 years later, centers on other characters. Paksenarrion shows up occasionally, but isn't a POV character.
Paks literally visits the moathouse full of bandits from T1, which still has its giant frogs. The village she spends time in basically is Hommlet.

I think Moon said she didn't play when she started writing, but did hang out with people who played and sit in on sessions. Could be misremembering that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I think that Paladin's Legacy was mediocre at best. It has a great setup but I thought that it just kind of fizzled out at the end.

Dorrin's necklace strangles the Pirate King guy of its own accord, ending that threat in a page. Dorrin's crown and such turns back into water and refloods the sandlands they had to abandon, inside of a page. The Baron who tortured Phelan as a boy shows up, spends a page talking to Phelan, and then Phelan handles him in another page. And so on. And so on. Every conflict that was setup, every problem that they had to face, every troublesome situation... it all gets handled like that. After all that build up it was a huge letdown.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I just saw The Traitor in the Best Books of 2015 list of Amazon! Really happy that such a good book is getting its due. Congrats , general.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grimwall posted:

I just saw The Traitor in the Best Books of 2015 list of Amazon! Really happy that such a good book is getting its due. Congrats , general.

The Traitor I read had Libertarian bullshit and an insufferably dumb main character who was able to do things because the plot wouldn't work if she didn't do them. Not awfully written by any standards, and congrats General B for getting published at all, but it wasn't a great book.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Neurosis posted:

It's been years since I read them, but yeah, if I wanted books that "prove fantasy doesn't have to be bland Tolkien crap" those would not be on the list.

I mostly remember them for the genuinely interesting twist in the last book, where it turns out that the ritual/prophecy they've been slavishly trying to follow since the first book to save themselves was written by the elves, at a time when human genocide of the elven nations was a real concern, and by completing it they have just activated an ancient elven superweapon designed specifically to gently caress them up. That's not something I've seen a lot of, prophecies in fantasy tend to either be 100% true and accurate and do exactly what the protagonists need, or completely irrelevant bullshit. But it's not clever enough that I'd recommend reading the whole trilogy just for that scene.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

The Traitor I read had Libertarian bullshit and an insufferably dumb main character who was able to do things because the plot wouldn't work if she didn't do them. Not awfully written by any standards, and congrats General B for getting published at all, but it wasn't a great book.

I didn't love it as much as some people do, but I am legitimately curious how you got Libertarian bullshit out of Traitor

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Patrick Spens posted:

I didn't love it as much as some people do, but I am legitimately curious how you got Libertarian bullshit out of Traitor

Baru undermines the plans of the evil hegemonic government who want to control everything by returning Aurdwynn to the gold standard.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Jedit posted:

Baru undermines the plans of the evil hegemonic government who want to control everything by returning Aurdwynn to the gold standard.

...What?

EDIT: Seth Dickinson set out to write Baru as an explicitly anti-colonialist fantasy. That doesn't even match the text of the book, much less the subtext, given that she did that to counter rebels against the evil hegemonic government. It also pretty clearly wasn't an ideological move, it was a tactical one.

Grimson fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 4, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

You seem to have missed how that was shown to be catastrophic for all economic purposes, which was sort of the idea - undermine the plans by making the country valueless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grimson posted:

...What?

EDIT: Seth Dickinson set out to write Baru as an explicitly anti-colonialist fantasy. That doesn't even match the text of the book, much less the subtext, given that she did that to counter rebels against the evil hegemonic government. It also pretty clearly wasn't an ideological move, it was a tactical one.

Don't bother, people who read to find authorial agendas find points to support it. Regardless of whether they're really present.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So, belated recommendation for 'Dickensian' Brit-style fantasy books, all of Stephen Hunt's Jackelian novels are...inspired by various Victorian through pulp genres and keep getting weirder and more creative as you go along. They start out more or less saying 'Britain but also with urchin crab people' and then steadily yank that rug until it's a distant memory.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Jedit posted:

Yeah, she uses that to break the province economy and put it into chaos. Not very libertarian.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chrisoya posted:

Paks literally visits the moathouse full of bandits from T1, which still has its giant frogs. The village she spends time in basically is Hommlet.

I think Moon said she didn't play when she started writing, but did hang out with people who played and sit in on sessions. Could be misremembering that.

Yeah you can tell when she hits fourth level because she gets her warhorse. It's pretty transparent, especial ly if you ever played first edition. Still yeah certainly the best AD&D fiction I've read.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Drifter posted:

You explained it better than I did. Thank you. Brooks was among the Alpha.

Re: Fiest's Riftwar books:

Original Trilogy is good for standard high fantasy.
Serpentwar is really good though the ending of the last book goes a bit off the rails. King's Buccaneer can be worth a read before this series because a lot of things will make more sense with it.

If the last conflict the main characters have in the Serpentwar books isn't to your liking I'd suggest stopping there. If you liked the Riftwar trilogy then consider reading the Riftwar Legacy stuff before moving on to the Serpentwar books. If you're fine with elements introduced later in Serpentwar then you can keep reading the remain dozen-ish books in the Riftwar Cycle.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, they were pretty 'ehh'. Not awful, just sort of overly long and relatively predictable. Somewhat interesting in places if I recall correctly, but nothing special.

Oh, btw, is the Shadowmarch set of books anything better?

Shadowmarch is very similar, maybe slightly better written with more memorable characters. It's still Tad Williams and isn't substantially different from MST, structurally is very similar to it and to Otherland.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Amberskin posted:

Yeah, she uses that to break the province economy and put it into chaos. Not very libertarian.

I dunno man, that sounds Libertarian as hell to me.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Baru undermines the plans of the rebellion against the evil hegemonic government by purposely causing hyperinflation in the fiat currency. She does not return Aurdwynn to the gold standard, she crashes the economy so hard that people need to regress to use of gold as currency.

Seriously every thought in your sentence was wrong, how are you so bad at reading?

House Louse posted:

I dunno man, that sounds Libertarian as hell to me.

Hyperinflation being bad isn't a Libertarian belief, its the belief of anyone who knows anything at all about economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I read that as "loving everything up and creating chaos" is a libertarian thing, which is pretty much true.