Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvMb90hem8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Non Serviam posted:

I was playing Metal Gear Solid V and when characters put on sunglasses you are told the brand. I thought it was made up but, nope, real sunglasses for sale, from some company. It's not even Konami merch.

I thought Calorie Mate was a joke product in MGS3

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of advertising in video games, anyone remember Sneak King, that godawful MGS ripoff where you payed as the Burger King and snuck around various locations...to give unsuspecting people nightmares burgers?

Sneak King owned :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krispy Kareem posted:

They still make Mountain Dew Throwback, Dewshine is actually what Mountain Dew was first introduced as, back when they marketed it as alcohol mixer. It doesn't really taste like Mountain Dew.

Pepsi has made some bone-headed marketing moves, but I kind of like how they're doubling down on sugar. Coke has stated they have no need to market sugar-Coke because people just import it from Mexico. But that means they're on the defensive when Pepsi makes a move like selling sodas with sugar or ditching aspartame - even if you can't taste a difference.

Huh. I've been mixing Mt Dew and Vodka occasionally and calling that a "nuka cola", I'll have to try it with Dewshine next time :cheeky:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of advertising in video games, anyone remember Sneak King, that godawful MGS ripoff where you payed as the Burger King and snuck around various locations...to give unsuspecting people nightmares burgers?

I think you mean that amazing MGS ripoff :colbert:

Sneak King was pretty genius and probably created way more word of mouth buzz than spending the same money on TV ads would have.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I thought Calorie Mate was a joke product in MGS3

Same, I posted awhile ago that I went to Japan and was really shocked when I found Calorie Mate inside all the 7-11s.

So I bought some, but its not really very good. Just like a raw block of dry protein. Good for soldiers though I guess, pretty much an MRE.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah this is exactly the kind of bullshit I was talking about. People make up whatever titles they want, and then they don't have any legal requirements. But they make up fake official-sounding names and people totally fall for it.

"Nicologist" is pretty obviously bullshit but "nutritionist" fools a ton of people.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Krispy Kareem posted:

...Coke has stated they have no need to market sugar-Coke because people just import it from Mexico. But that means they're on the defensive when Pepsi makes a move like selling sodas with sugar or ditching aspartame - even if you can't taste a difference.

Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like I can taste the difference in Mexican Coke vs American Coke. Part of it might just be the glass bottle. It reminds me of being a kid and drinking one of those 8oz bottles they used to sell from chest coolers outside of a business. You had to finish it right there as the bottles were always returned.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I was listening to the radio on my way to uni this morning and a Peugot ad came on that made me think of this thread. They were talking about a rear facing camera in their cars to help people park, something along to lines of having to rely less on intuition. Then immediately following that is their slogan: "Pure intuition."

Literally contradicting themselves.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mostlygray posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like I can taste the difference in Mexican Coke vs American Coke. Part of it might just be the glass bottle. It reminds me of being a kid and drinking one of those 8oz bottles they used to sell from chest coolers outside of a business. You had to finish it right there as the bottles were always returned.

I certainly can. There are American cokes that come in the same bottles as Mexican. I've bought the wrong kind by mistake and I can always tell immediately, before noticing the label.

The difference for mountain dew throwback is way bigger than for coke and Pepsi. I don't know if they just use less of it, but you can actually taste things, eg hints of citrus, rather than just sweetness and yellow (I've always had trouble describing the taste of regular dew, and "yellow" just seems right; I'm not claiming to detect the taste of coloring, nor am I professing a multi sensory experience).

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 17:26 on Dec 3, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I certainly can. There are American cokes that come in the same bottles as Mexican. I've bought the wrong kind by mistake and I can always tell immediately, before noticing the label.

The difference for mountain dew throwback is way bigger than for coke and Pepsi. I don't know if they just use less of it, but you can actually taste things, eg hints of citrus, rather than just sweetness and yellow (I've always had trouble describing the taste of regular dew, and "yellow" just seems right; I'm not claiming to detect the taste of coloring, nor am I professing a multi sensory experience).

this is a person who has clearly never asked for purple flavor drank

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think it's the container more than the sweetener. Mexican Coke tastes better than US Coke, but US Coke in a glass bottle tastes better than Mexican Coke in a plastic 2 liter.

And soda fountain Coke beats all of them.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Mexican coke tasting different has nothing to do with sugar vs HFCS. The recipes are different for different areas.

Chilean coke is vile yet contains regular sugar.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Irradiation posted:

Mexican coke tasting different has nothing to do with sugar vs HFCS. The recipes are different for different areas.

I really think this is fascinating. McDonald's tastes the same everywhere, but coke changes their drink recipes in different countries.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Irradiation posted:

The reality is even more complicated and confusing

quote:

While many believe the primary difference in flavor between Mexican Coke and the American Coca Cola recipe is that Mexican Coke is sweetened using cane sugar as opposed to high-fructose corn syrup, a scientific analysis of Mexican Coke found no sucrose (standard sugar) in its sample of Mexican Coke, but instead found fructose and glucose levels similar to other soft drinks sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup.[3] Coca-Cola claims that Mexican Coke exported to the United States is made with cane sugar, while some bottlers may use high-fructose corn syrup for drinks intended for sale in Mexico.[4] Therefore, while Coke labeled "Mexican" in the U.S. is made with cane sugar, not all Coke sold in Mexico is.

So Mexican "Coca-cola" has HFCS but American "Mexican Coca-cola" uses sugar :psyduck:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've never even heard of "Mexican Coke" as a branded product, the only times I've seen Mexican Coke were in areas with high Central American/Cuban populations and the bottles always say "Hecho en Mexico", units are in metric, and most importantly the nutritional info is added to the bottle with white paper sticker

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

I've never even heard of "Mexican Coke" as a branded product, the only times I've seen Mexican Coke were in areas with high Central American/Cuban populations and the bottles always say "Hecho en Mexico", units are in metric, and most importantly the nutritional info is added to the bottle with white paper sticker

Its never actually branded that way, but everybody knows what it is. It might even be labeled that way on the store shelf, but the product itself doesn't ever say "Mexican".

Some of them say "hecho en Mexico" and others just say "coca-cola" like normal. The only way to tell is that its a glass bottle and it has cane sugar (or not).

But again, it looks like "glass bottle coke for sale in mexico", "plastic bottle coke for sale in the us", and "glass bottle coke with cane sugar sold in the us" are actually 3 separate products.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

But again, it looks like "glass bottle coke for sale in mexico", "plastic bottle coke for sale in the us", and "glass bottle coke with cane sugar sold in the us" are actually 3 separate products.
This last one applies to Coke that's kosher for Passover, containing sugar instead of corn syrup. I think that's only produced and sold during Passover itself, though.

e: And it comes in plastic bottles, too.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Krispy Kareem posted:

And soda fountain Coke beats all of them.

This is highly dependent on the place... Some places have different carbonation:syrup ratios. Mcdonalds tend to have more syrup in their pop. Smaller restaurants that have a bar attached may do less syrup so the sweetness doesn't over power your jack and coke.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

If I recall correctly the paper label says the Coke can have HFCS or sugar as it's ingredient. I used to wonder if I was getting ripped off paying extra for sugar-Coke that was really just regular Coke.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AA is for Quitters posted:

This is highly dependent on the place... Some places have different carbonation:syrup ratios. Mcdonalds tend to have more syrup in their pop. Smaller restaurants that have a bar attached may do less syrup so the sweetness doesn't over power your jack and coke.

I hate when a shop runs out of syrup but doesn't realize it yet and you get a glass full of soda water. I mean if you're eating there you can just ask, but if you got drivethrough you have to go all the way back or just dump it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is exactly the kind of bullshit I was talking about. People make up whatever titles they want, and then they don't have any legal requirements. But they make up fake official-sounding names and people totally fall for it.

"Nicologist" is pretty obviously bullshit but "nutritionist" fools a ton of people.

Irish comedian Dara O'Briain has a good bit where he mentions 'dietician' is the protected term, but nutrionist is not. I think his wife's a dietician.

edit: vv Oops

davidspackage has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Dec 4, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

davidspackage posted:

Irish comedian Dara O'Briain has a good bit where he mentions 'dietician' is the protected term, but nutrionist is not. I think his wife's a dietician.

Just, you know, saying. I know a blank link isn't much cop on this score...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wanamingo posted:

e: to keep this post on topic, I've been seeing this commercial airing all the drat time lately. It took me a while to figure out what the game they're selling even is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SnWADBx5uE

Ah yes, Pie-face. Just a simple plastic lever and cardboard cutout that Hasbro totally fumbled on making a mint on. around a year ago that clip you see in the commercial of the grandpa and his grandson playing it and cracking up was a viral video, I think like Ellen might have shown it on her show too, because one of the things she does is steal cute kid youtube videos because it's pandering easy ratings. So then everyone in the "grandparent" demographic wanted to get their hands on that game after seeing the delightful funny family bonding moment. Turns out the game was only sold in the UK, so if you wanted to buy it, you had to pay SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars. It's a game that is so simple and and bare-bones that you'd think Hasbro would jump on it and sell them hand over fist. Nope, it didn't reach American markets til now, a YEAR AND A HALF later, when people have already forgot about it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I used to know a girl who's brother managed a soda bottling plant. One thing about glass bottled sodas in general is they tend to taste better because they can't sit as long in a warehouse. Since glass is fragile, heavy and a specialty product there is a much higher chance that your glass bottle of Pepsi was bottled very recently while plastic bottled Pepsi often sits for months in a warehouse until demand is met. This may seem like an inconsequential thing but fresh off the line soda tastes radically different than soda that has been sitting in a warehouse for a while letting itself mellow. Mountain Dew is the most noticeable one, when it's fresh it has a very vibrant sour citrus taste that goes away when it sits around for a long time. Another thing is quality control. Sodas like Pepsi are made in such large quantity that the range of what is acceptably "Pepsi" can vary quite a lot, sodas made in smaller batches tend to have stricter quality control because a defect in a small batch can effect a much larger total percentage of the product on the market. I don't know if this is true, but he claimed that Squirt was the soda that sat in exactly the "sweet spot" between being popular enough to be mass produced and cheap but not popular enough that you were usually guaranteed a fresh batch with strong quality control.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Hirayuki posted:

This last one applies to Coke that's kosher for Passover, containing sugar instead of corn syrup. I think that's only produced and sold during Passover itself, though.

e: And it comes in plastic bottles, too.

I live in an area with a large jewish population. Kosher for passover Coke is easily identified by the yellow caps or the Pareve mark on the side. Coke in cans has gold tops. As you said - we only see it around passover time.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Has anyone posted the Heineken - Hotel Babylon thing yet?

The gist of it is, the BBC were making a program designed to appeal to young people with bands and pop culture and all that jazz. Heineken sponsored it. Then an email came out from Heineken to the shows producers in which Heineken were unhappy with a) the amount of shots of their product in the show, they wanted more, and b) the amount of "negroes" in the shows cast and audience, they wanted less

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BrigadierSensible posted:

The gist of it is, the BBC were making a program designed to appeal to young people with bands and pop culture and all that jazz. Heineken sponsored it. Then an email came out from Heineken to the shows producers in which Heineken were unhappy with a) the amount of shots of their product in the show, they wanted more, and b) the amount of "negroes" in the shows cast and audience, they wanted less

You mean telegram, right? Because of how this happened in the fifties? Right?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You mean telegram, right? Because of how this happened in the fifties? Right?

Nah, 2011, and it was a fax.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-tv-parts-that-black-men-cant-reach-1322406.html

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

"The audience should be aspirational but not too much on the edge. There was a too high proportion of negroes. Although the audience group seems to be a mixture, director and/or camera crew have a tendency towards selecting just extravagant people. Also 'normal' people should be filmed."

Never thought you'd top Zwarte Piet, Dutch folk, but goddamn.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

I see they really grok the zeitgeist, excellent marketing.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

From a few pages back about that Singapore company's Black Friday website.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know its standard among model figures, but those are some scary sharp elbows

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Fauxtool posted:

I know its standard among model figures, but those are some scary sharp elbows

You know I was thinking that too, but didn't want to point it out because of the 'sharp knees' thing, but yeah, I don't think that is particularly healthy.

edit: drat I was looking through their site and there are some scary thin girls on it. They always look so sad, it makes me sad.

(fwiw I have been both scary skinny and overweight and I am not trying to bodyshame these girls. Or get into a debate about the horrors of the model industry)

Rondette has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Dec 4, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rondette posted:

You know I was thinking that too, but didn't want to point it out because of the 'sharp knees' thing, but yeah, I don't think that is particularly healthy.

edit: drat I was looking through their site and there are some scary thin girls on it. They always look so sad, it makes me sad.

(fwiw I have been both scary skinny and overweight and I am not trying to bodyshame these girls. Or get into a debate about the horrors of the model industry)

Why are you posting pictures of me at 13?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rondette posted:

Sharp knees thing?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

Sharp knees thing?

Doing the "Ugh i would totaly not gently caress that hot model because her knees look sharp and not because i would never have a shot!" thing

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shai-Hulud posted:

Doing the "Ugh i would totaly not gently caress that hot model because her knees look sharp and not because i would never have a shot!" thing

Is that type of model really considered hot? She's skeletal. Her dress is just draped over her. I've always figured that body type is cultivated to show off the fashion, not to be sexy.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Rondette posted:

You'd be sad too if your butt had just exploded poo poo against a wall while wearing a pretty, white dress.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Models are basically living coat hangers. Plus, thin models mean you don't have to use as much cloth.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You don't even necessarily need to go that far. For a lot of things you can slap a label of "health food" on it if you have "an expert" declare that it is, in fact, healthy. It doesn't even need to be a nutritionist, really. Plus you get garbage like a study comes out that says "people who eat oats have a slightly lower risk of heart disease" leads to cheerios saying "may reduce the risk of heart disease so eat up and live forever!"

Other than that health conscious people aren't always the best informed. Which is why you see "a naturally fat free food!" on bags of candy as if being zero fat but all sugar and nothing else somehow makes it healthy.

The rampant misinformation from the food industry doesn't make eating healthy easier.

A couple of years ago one of the big cereal companies got in trouble because they put labels on all their kids brands saying that they were good for the immune system when they didn't really have any proof.

Choco1980 posted:

Ah yes, Pie-face. Just a simple plastic lever and cardboard cutout that Hasbro totally fumbled on making a mint on. around a year ago that clip you see in the commercial of the grandpa and his grandson playing it and cracking up was a viral video, I think like Ellen might have shown it on her show too, because one of the things she does is steal cute kid youtube videos because it's pandering easy ratings. So then everyone in the "grandparent" demographic wanted to get their hands on that game after seeing the delightful funny family bonding moment. Turns out the game was only sold in the UK, so if you wanted to buy it, you had to pay SEVERAL HUNDRED dollars. It's a game that is so simple and and bare-bones that you'd think Hasbro would jump on it and sell them hand over fist. Nope, it didn't reach American markets til now, a YEAR AND A HALF later, when people have already forgot about it.

The thing I find bizarre about the game is that you can't even play it out of the box and have to provide your own whipped cream.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

muscles like this? posted:

A couple of years ago one of the big cereal companies got in trouble because they put labels on all their kids brands saying that they were good for the immune system when they didn't really have any proof.

Good for the immune system!*

*compared to starvation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rondette posted:

They always look so sad, it makes me sad.

I'd be sad too if they'd taken a pic of me right after I lost bowel control.