Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GAL posted:

hell yeah

Yeah, soz, just read the section again and they replaced the Indian-made obsidian heads with steel ones before the battle. Still cool, but a bit less so.

Ordered. Mary Douglas plus early modern Europe rubs me up all the right ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FAUXTON posted:

Sparta is like the cultural equivalent of some of those honestly celibate religious enclaves in the 19th c. US.
TBH I think Sparta is basically Worf. People wrote about how badass Spartans were to humblebrag about how badass they were for beating them.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BurningStone posted:

If you're asking me, I think it was mostly luck. A series of inventions and discoveries were able to piggy back off each other. The most important point, it seems, was technology advancing so rapidly that it progressed faster than it could diffuse.

You're definitely right about stuff piggybacking off each other, but the entirety of human history is basically the story of stuff happening because of other stuff. I barely feel comfortable with my New World idea because even the decision to sail across the Atlantic is something that gets built up over centuries of other ideas.

The period in which important events of the Scientific Revolution take place is like 300 years yeah? This is just off a wikipedia page, but 300 years covers everything from early empiricism to coke furnaces.

300 years is a long-rear end time for a group of people to hold a coherent idea together. There have to be circumstances that cause people as a whole to continue to pursue, and then accept the ideas that are being put forward. The Ancient Greeks invented the first steam engine, but they didn't think it was useful because it burned too much fuel and couldn't produce enough energy compared to a person. The circumstances of the period, aside from the "spirit of invention", defined the reach of the invention.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sparta didn't write things down, so all of their legacy is in probably very biased second hand accounts.

Edit: You know what's a good book about why/how the west dominated the world? This is. The guy actually uses metrics to judge the whole thing. You can debate whether population density and city size are the most important metrics to judge a society's dominance, but it's better than nothing.

I think it might actually be worse than nothing.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 4, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Hazzard posted:

We all know Sparta as a military power with little to nothing left of them beyond a reputation. Athens left us all sorts, with culture and art. But if Sparta created a really good military, they could have destroyed Athens. And then Athens would be gone and stop being a source of culture.

Being good at war kind of trumps everything else in the short term. Yes your books are nice, but my gun lets me take it from you. In the really long run a "good" (I'm the effective sense, not the moral) culture can subsumed a bad one. But beyond one culture being good at taking over another, you can't really judge them without taking a moral framework to apply to the comparison. Unless there's someone with a degree in cultural studies that knows a way I don't.

Athens and Rome provided legal frameworks and legacies. Greek and Latin have seeped into European languages. We quote Romans and spend a long time studying them. That puts them on a better footing than Sparta. I'm saying Sparta here because I can't think of a better example.

Leaving everything else aside, China has a long history of culturally co-opting outside invaders until they became Chinese in all but name, the Yuan and Qing dynasties being the big standouts. Military defeat, even conquest, doesn't automatically lead to the eradication of the defeated culture.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Another Sharpe series question - during the Napoleonic wars, the English army was the only one to practice / drill with live ammunition. Everyone else just... went through the motions of firing without using actual bullets.

True / False?

Seems like a fairly major advantage in terms of combat competence even among raw trainees if true.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

Yeah, soz, just read the section again and they replaced the Indian-made obsidian heads with steel ones before the battle. Still cool, but a bit less so.
less cool, but also less breakable

quote:

Ordered. Mary Douglas plus early modern Europe rubs me up all the right ways.
"People Who Ordered This Also Looked At [a bunch of books you own already]"

edit: also Marcel Mauss also has a thing about how executioners can work magic but I forget which book it's in

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 4, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and the Best Culture is the one i study

obviously

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Thanks Slo-Tek and Lowtax.

From now on just report and move on if Keldoclock starts Keldoclocking.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 4, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Another Sharpe series question - during the Napoleonic wars, the English army was the only one to practice / drill with live ammunition. Everyone else just... went through the motions of firing without using actual bullets.

True / False?

Seems like a fairly major advantage in terms of combat competence even among raw trainees if true.

Not sure about that, but eg. the Royal Navy (of the United Kingdom) got so little gunpowder for training purposes that they also mostly just trained without.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

and the Best Culture is the one i study

obviously

So for me it's the Swedes in all their demographical genocide glory.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

You know, while we're on the subject of cultures and their attitudes towards war, I'm kinda curious now.

What are the contenders for the most pacifistic major cultures? I.E. Larger than a tribe or two on an island in the Pacific somewhere.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

You know, while we're on the subject of cultures and their attitudes towards war, I'm kinda curious now.

What are the contenders for the most pacifistic major cultures? I.E. Larger than a tribe or two on an island in the Pacific somewhere.
the state ashoka ruled, after his conversion?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Some korean kings went so buddhist that they almost made vegetarianism mandatory.

On the note of medicinal cannibalism, it kind of was a huge thing back in Europe. Which is funny because europeans have to this day derided american and polynesian and african natives as cannibals.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAL posted:

while early 20th century austria was an interesting place with lots going on

Oh, that reminds me: Danubia by Simon Winder is a pretty awesome layman's introduction to Habsburg [Austria And Friends]. I picked it up at a traveling exhibit of bits of the Vienna Habsburg Legacy Or Whatever, and it owns.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Vienna Habsburg Archive Or Whatever

i hate the haus-, hoff-, und staatsarchiv, the cataloging isn't granular enough so all you'll get is like a giant file and it'll be "militaria: 1590-1648"

bitch just tell me what's in there

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

..., while early 20th century austria was an interesting place with lots going on

Der Tanz auf dem Vulkan.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
In 1913 Hitler, Stalin, Tito, Trotsky and Freud all lived in Vienna. Not in the same house unfortunately, but someone should still make a sitcom out of it.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 4, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Der Tanz auf dem Vulkan.
like i said

lots going on

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Some other questions to bring up -

HEY GAL, what kind of retirement plan do your guys have? I mean their employers probably don't offer pensions, most of them won't survive to retirement age and those that have likely haven't planned for it, but if you were prudent enough to survive a stint as a mercenary trooper and get out with enough cash to avoid becoming a beggar what do you do next? Open an inn? Buy some land and become a farmer? Try to get hired as a military advisor? Watchman in a town guard? What does a happy ending for a mercenary look like?

On a semi-related note, I've been reading the Aubrey/Maturin series and it mentions privateers with letters of marque during the Napoleonic Wars, with investors specifically raising funds to build privateers so as to make bank off prizes. Did this actually happen? And if it did, what happened to all those privateers when the wars ended? Conversion to cargo ships, scrapped for pennies, etc?

Actually anyone who knows more about privateers of the era and how they were funded/raised/operated would be pretty interesting in general.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Some other questions to bring up -

HEY GAL, what kind of retirement plan do your guys have? I mean their employers probably don't offer pensions, most of them won't survive to retirement age and those that have likely haven't planned for it, but if you were prudent enough to survive a stint as a mercenary trooper and get out with enough cash to avoid becoming a beggar what do you do next? Open an inn? Buy some land and become a farmer? Try to get hired as a military advisor? Watchman in a town guard? What does a happy ending for a mercenary look like?
remember before obamacare when you'd ask young americans what they planned to do about healthcare and they said "don't get sick, i guess"? i think it was kind of like that. or you could refuse to demobilize and become a robber, the skill transfer is very easy

on the other hand Juergen Ackerman, a Protestant who was a captain under Tilly (don't protestantshame, we'd do the same in his place), eventually did buy land and became a farmer, we know this because he left some memoirs

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

remember before obamacare when you'd ask young americans what they planned to do about healthcare and they said "don't get sick, i guess"? i think it was kind of like that. or you could refuse to demobilize and become a robber, the skill transfer is very easy

on the other hand Juergen Ackerman, a Protestant who was a captain under Tilly (don't protestantshame, we'd do the same in his place), eventually did buy land and became a farmer, we know this because he left some memoirs

And if you get a disabling wound it's tough luck and not many opportunities?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

on the other hand Juergen Ackerman, a Protestant who was a captain under Tilly (don't protestantshame, we'd do the same in his place),

shame on a protestant who try to run game on a protestant

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

i hate the haus-, hoff-, und staatsarchiv, the cataloging isn't granular enough so all you'll get is like a giant file and it'll be "militaria: 1590-1648"

bitch just tell me what's in there

Reminds me of the Admiralty files at the National Archives at Kew for pre-1914. Lots of big boxes with only the vaguest record of what's in them, like this:

Reference: ADM 1/8120
Description: From Admirals X Home Fleet 1647-1762
Date: 1910
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keldoclock posted:

Japan is 19 on the HDI, that's higher than the U.S., while, bafflingly, China is absent from the 2014 HDI report.

Oh yeah, I never posted my response to "Why European colonization and dominance?", my answer is first good successful use of fossil fuel resources, probably.

Didn't fossil fuel industry only really kick off in the 19th century and starting in England first?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

shame on a protestant who try to run game on a protestant
he was at magdeburg lol

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Reminds me of the Admiralty files at the National Archives at Kew for pre-1914. Lots of big boxes with only the vaguest record of what's in them, like this:
eighteenth century military stuff in the german speaking world is organized pretty well, usually, because it was well-organized at the time.

seventeenth century military records, if they're even in government archives at all (regiments and companies belong to their commanders so a lot of the time those records are wherever that guy's papers ended up) are just dumped in there, either by the seventeenth century dudes themselves or by some fucker in the eighteenth or nineteenth century who had no idea how what they were looking at functioned.

and then once you get to the muster rolls, they vary widely depending on the opinions of the musterschreiber. some of these things appear to have been used as working documents, being constantly updated whenever people leave or desert or get sick, "Hans von Goonenstein was not at the last muster," "Dietrich von Goonenstein is out on a pass, working as a carpenter in Dresden," etc. And that was when I figured out how these guys's part time jobs worked. This is great for information, except how do I organize the data I get if it's different for every document?

I have a friend who studies the eighteenth century Austrian army and the Mustertabelle he reads not only track data down to the level of the names of each conscript's children but they're all the same for every document through the entire century. that fucker just fed that poo poo into Excel and some graphs popped out

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

he was at magdeburg lol

..who run wild with the tilly!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lol, if you want badly organized records try the papers donated by E. German bigwigs in teaching and the education ministry. You'll get poo poo like

Donation of TacherName: 65 running meters.

They don't even list how many loving boxes, just how long the bookshelf is.

edit: a buddy who does holocaust stuff tells me that there are still huge chunks of captured German documents in the US Nat'l Archives that are the same way. Boxes and boxes of poo poo still crated up the way it was when it was shipped over in the 40s.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

HEY GAL posted:

eighteenth century military stuff in the german speaking world is organized pretty well, usually, because it was well-organized at the time.

seventeenth century military records, if they're even in government archives at all (regiments and companies belong to their commanders so a lot of the time those records are wherever that guy's papers ended up) are just dumped in there, either by the seventeenth century dudes themselves or by some fucker in the eighteenth or nineteenth century who had no idea how what they were looking at functioned.

and then once you get to the muster rolls, they vary widely depending on the opinions of the musterschreiber. some of these things appear to have been used as working documents, being constantly updated whenever people leave or desert or get sick, "Hans von Goonenstein was not at the last muster," "Dietrich von Goonenstein is out on a pass, working as a carpenter in Dresden," etc. And that was when I figured out how these guys's part time jobs worked. This is great for information, except how do I organize the data I get if it's different for every document?

I have a friend who studies the eighteenth century Austrian army and the Mustertabelle he reads not only track data down to the level of the names of each conscript's children but they're all the same for every document through the entire century. that fucker just fed that poo poo into Excel and some graphs popped out

I love how mad you get about organization of fuckers who, by your own description, were permadrunk fuckups.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

VanSandman posted:

I love how mad you get about organization of fuckers who, by your own description, were permadrunk fuckups.

I'll almost guarantee that the people who wrote those documents weren't the ones who organized them. My guess is going to be some archivist in the early 20th century.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol, if you want badly organized records try the papers donated by E. German bigwigs in teaching and the education ministry. You'll get poo poo like

edit: a buddy who does holocaust stuff tells me that there are still huge chunks of captured German documents in the US Nat'l Archives that are the same way. Boxes and boxes of poo poo still crated up the way it was when it was shipped over in the 40s.

This is why I get pissed off at people who insist that all history has been recorded and trying to introduce new documents is revisionism. Yes, they are often fans of German military hardware, but I'm sure that's a coincidence.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'll almost guarantee that the people who wrote those documents weren't the ones who organized them. My guess is going to be some archivist in the early 20th century.
no, this poo poo is old. according to the date on the wrappers of some of them, they were filed on 1700 precisely. it's probably among the oldest strata of the archive--not the oldest stuff they have, but probably organized first. there's 18th century tracking numbers on some of them, crossed out and replaced with newer ones, which have in turn been crossed out. the newest numbers are stickers on the front.

VanSandman posted:

they might be permadrunks, but they're pretty good at the core of what they do, which is "deliver a bunch of dudes to the battlefield demanded, at the time and place demanded, in the quantity demanded (last part optional), and try like gently caress not to panic or die"

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

They have top men working on it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

no, this poo poo is old. according to the date on the wrappers of some of them, they were filed on 1700 precisely. it's probably among the oldest strata of the archive--not the oldest stuff they have, but probably organized first. there's 18th century tracking numbers on some of them, crossed out and replaced with newer ones, which have in turn been crossed out. the newest numbers are stickers on the front.

they might be permadrunks, but they're pretty good at the core of what they do, which is "deliver a bunch of dudes to the battlefield demanded, at the time and place demanded, in the quantity demanded (last part optional), and try like gently caress not to panic or die"

They're also pretty good at tackling the window menace.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

A lot of manuscripts from the founding collection in the British Library will be termed something like "Cotton, Cleopatra, D, VI, meaning "from the collection of Sir Robert Cotton, on the bookcase with the bust of Cleopatra standing on it, shelf D, sixth book from the left". It's a perfectly functional system, but I find it quite charming.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

xthetenth posted:

And if you get a disabling wound it's tough luck and not many opportunities?

Dealing with disabled veterans was a problem that basically didn't get solved until after WWI and even then you still have a bunch of problems up until this day - look at the Vietnam war for example. A lot of crippled soldiers were reduced to begging in order to make a 'living' since they couldn't really make it in any other profession at the time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

This is why I get pissed off at people who insist that all history has been recorded and trying to introduce new documents is revisionism. Yes, they are often fans of German military hardware, but I'm sure that's a coincidence.

Someone (I think actually it might have been Dr Parrott!) told me once in a tutorial that this is why the early modern is the ideal period for a historian; before that, we don't have enough material (like, there might be one or two accounts total written down even about major events), and after that once modern bureaucracy gets invented there's often too much for any one human to really get a handle on.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Someone (I think actually it might have been Dr Parrott!) told me once in a tutorial that this is why the early modern is the ideal period for a historian; before that, we don't have enough material (like, there might be one or two accounts total written down even about major events), and after that once modern bureaucracy gets invented there's often too much for any one human to really get a handle on.

Trouble is, there's still far to much material to comb through by hand, for England at least, but whimsical spelling makes it very hard to automate, even if you transcribe it all.

It's extremely likely there's a document somewhere out there which tells us what Shakespeare was doing during his "lost years", for example, but no-one has any idea how to find it, because it calls him Saxby, and it's written in half-literate Latin, and a dog pissed against the bookcase in 1792.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MikeCrotch posted:

Dealing with disabled veterans was a problem that basically didn't get solved until after WWI and even then you still have a bunch of problems up until this day - look at the Vietnam war for example. A lot of crippled soldiers were reduced to begging in order to make a 'living' since they couldn't really make it in any other profession at the time.

Or, you know, the recent shebangs in Middle East.

Adopting the ignore function let me read through the backlog here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MikeCrotch posted:

Canada has problems with this right now, to the point the Veteran's association told the Conservative government "You know Antonio Fantio, the defense Vice-minister? On November 11th, he's not welcome at the national cenotaph."

• Locked thread