Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yeah it's terrible. I'm in a league with reverse-standings waivers and I lost the first 5 weeks and was 11th or 12th until week 9 or 10 (I'm still not technically eliminated from the playoffs). I didn't give up so now I have DWill, CharWest, Amendola, Rawls, etc. Even though it's worked out to my benefit I agree it's stupid. No one else has had the chance to play waivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
FAAB is basically the best and other waiver systems are just differing degrees of dumb.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

FAAB is basically the best and other waiver systems are just differing degrees of dumb.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
I play with mostly filthy casuals, so they will only agree to the rolling waiver system.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'll never not like the unlimited immediate add/drop system (aside from players who already played that week e: well you can drop a player who already played the next day, but he/his score still stays in your lineup for that week). It rewards people who actually watch the games and makes the games more exciting to watch in general.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You mean a system with no waivers, just free agents that can be added at any time?

I guess if you have absolutely no life and religiously watch every single game while getting updates simultaneously on your phone/computer, then it would be nice.

Some people have to work/ have a family / can't spend 10 hours straight watching football though.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 3, 2015

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

RCarr posted:

You mean a system with no waivers, just free agents that can be added at any time?

I guess if you have absolutely no life and religiously watch every single game while getting updates on your phone/computer, then it would be nice.

Some people have to work/ have a family / can't spend 10 hours straight watching football though.

Yes, basically. I mean I'm going to be watching at least the 1pm games anyway, it's not that much added effort to have your phone on you in case one of your guys dies. In my league(s) usually you'll be fine even if you wait until Monday morning though so it's not like I have to have 8 TVs going simultaneously watching for injuries.

e: I should add that I do have the distinct advantage that "Monday morning" for me is just a couple hours after SNF ends for people on the east coast.

e2: vv honestly it hardly ever matters. The only times I've directly benefited from it was being able to get Deangelo and Charmander before anyone else. Every other "grab phone instantly" add that I made this year during games has been a dud.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 3, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I mean, whatever works for you, but I prefer a system that isn't a race to see who can grab their phone or computer fastest once an injury happens. Punishing someone for going to the bathroom, or doing ANYTHING other than watching football seems pretty ridiculous.

There's no way an important player would last till Monday morning in most leagues if there's no waiver system.

Murphy Brownback posted:

honestly it hardly ever matters. The only times I've directly benefited from it was being able to get Deangelo and Charmander before anyone else. Every other "grab phone instantly" add that I made this year during games has been a dud.

You realize these are like the two best waiver adds of the season and tremendously impact the entire league right?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 3, 2015

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

RCarr posted:

I mean, whatever works for you, but I prefer a system that isn't a race to see who can grab their phone or computer fastest once an injury happens. Punishing someone for going to the bathroom, or doing ANYTHING other than watching football seems pretty ridiculous.

There's no way an important player would last till Monday morning in most leagues if there's no waiver system.

You realize these are like the two best waiver adds of the season and tremendously impact the entire league right?

Yea, being able to grab both Deangelo Williams and Charcandrick West due to that would certainly change your entire season's outlook by a lot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

RCarr posted:

Of course, but my point was in most weeks a top 5 RB isn't going down. Obviously there was a mad rush to get those two guys - I picked Deangelo up about 2 minutes after I saw Bell go down and within a few minutes I got some angry facebook messages. But I did say "usually" - in most cases the things are speculative adds, not no-brainers. Those are the ones where most people won't read in the news until Monday "this guy might be a good pickup" like, just to pull an example out my rear end, Christine Michael, so then you will be fine if you wait until after the sunday games are over at least.

Anyway it's just the system I like, for obvious reasons - it's worked out great for me so far. Doesn't mean everyone has to like it.

when I said it "hardly ever matters" I was just talking in terms of numbers - out of the ~75 moves I've made so far this season, only those two (and Ware last week anyway) are noteworthy - the rest were either bad adds or just minor improvements.

To be totally honest, I wouldn't like FAAB or waivers because it requires thinking and using strategy, rather than just scooping up everything I can and hoping something sticks.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 3, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
No-waivers is awful and every season I hope that the guy who likes it that way doesn't win (because the winner is the commish/sets the rules next year). But yeah I agree with "whatever works for you" stuff, like if nobody has a family or works weekends or whatever etc

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Anyway it's just the system I like, for obvious reasons - it's worked out great for me so far. Doesn't mean everyone has to like it.

Like I said, whatever works for you. But saying things like "it hardly ever matters" is silly when pretty much every single time a starting player goes down it matters tremendously, and the results can make or break a team's entire season.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
No waivers is awful.
Resetting waivers by standings is next awful.
Rolling waivers are ok. If you decide not to make any moves one week, you are at least rewarded with a higher priority, so there's some strategy involved.
FAAB is undoubtedly the best, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
My only no waiver league is both family/casual and money, so only me and one other guy are really on top of things about adding players immediately and are always racing to see who grabs the hot pick up first. We do limit it to 4 adds per week, which helps a ton. It's still dumb, but given the dumb bullshit nature of fantasy, there are other teams within like 1 or 2 games of us at 1st and 2nd in the standings. Having waivers of any sort is much much better.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
How is FAAB on NFL.com? I like their Waiver system- does FAAB just seamlessly replace waiver priority?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

How is FAAB on NFL.com? I like their Waiver system- does FAAB just seamlessly replace waiver priority?

I believe you can set it waiver priority settings as tie breakers.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Wrong thread sorry

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Its weird how the combination of Atlanta now being bad, Houston's defense being resurgent, and Romo going down that my steamrolling WRs of Julio, Nuk, and Dez that I assumed would carry me to an easy championship now have me really fearful of a first round exit

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Am I overthinking dropping robbie gould for Cairo Santos?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nope, KC is hot and Santos has been a top kicker.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Thinking enough about kickers to actually post about them is overthinking it, yes. :v:

I'd go with Santos.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Santos is like the #2 overall Kicker behind only Graham Gano I believe.

Grab him

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Done. Also who the gently caress knows whether or not you start forte or langford?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think Langford is getting mixed in and seeing the goal line carries, so I'd lean towards him, but that could just be redzone bias since I try to avoid Bears games.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

What's a good D to look at for playoff weeks 15-16 (assuming I get there)? Currently have CIN

CIN: @SF, @DEN
WAS: vBUF, @PHI
HOU: @IND, @TEN
IND: vHOU, @MIA

Maybe go CIN/HOU?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bellmaker posted:

What's a good D to look at for playoff weeks 15-16 (assuming I get there)? Currently have CIN

Maybe go CIN/HOU?

Yeah, should be good. Definitely Cincinnati. If they keep doing well, I'd probably feel fine starting them in a hopefully snowy Denver over Houston at Tennessee, but they'd both be good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guess it's officially announced now that West and Ware will be a committee this week. I understand the logic, but they really should think of the fantasy football players before making these kind of decisions.

Now I have to actually consider (but I probably won't actually do it) pulling Hill off my bench.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Do you have West or Ware? If you have Ware do it, the Browns have shitass run D and Hill is their more traditional RB.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Do you have West or Ware? If you have Ware do it, the Browns have shitass run D and Hill is their more traditional RB.

Both. I was going to start West this week but now I'm not so sure.

I know Cleveland is terrible against the run but it's the same team Hill managed to only put up ~5 points against earlier this year.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 4, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I also have both West and Ware, in a league with 1ppr and we start 1 rb, but two flex (rb/wr/te) spots.

I'm starting Rawls at rb for sure, so in my two flex spots plus two wr spots I'm starting some combination of:
ODBJ
Jarvis Landry
West
Ware
Sammy Watkins
Latavius Murray
Anquan Boldin
JeremyLangford
Michael Floyd
Benjamin Watson

Odbj is the only no-brainer, I'm really vaccilating on the other three. Probably sitting Watson and Floyd. Langford seems risky with Forte back. Boldin is a 49er.Murray has a decent floor but is up against the chiefs. Watkins has been wildly inconsistant,he put up big numbers on my bench and horrible numbers starting so I hate him. Landry is a solid starter. And, West/Ware are the other two.

I could get cute and start both, but that caps their combined total...

...and my normally crap oppone t this week started Richard rodgers so he's already got 28 points.

Tough decisions.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm dropping Lacy. gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Done. Also who the gently caress knows whether or not you start forte or langford?

The Johnson injury means I'm forced to start both to try and get into the playoffs :(

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

89 posted:

I'm dropping Lacy. gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him gently caress him.

I don't believe there's a player that has proven more detrimental to their owners than first round pick Eddie Lacy this year. If by some miracle I make the playoffs, I'll keep being pestered by the Lacy/Starks decision week to week.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

the dude who turned down all my Lacy offers was crowing to me the other day about his foresight after Lacy's two consecutive good games. We're playing this week :toot:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bellmaker posted:

Maybe go CIN/HOU?

I traded Rishard Matthews two weeks ago for Cinci, roll with them along with me. :)

Murphy Brownback posted:

Both. I was going to start West this week but now I'm not so sure.

I know Cleveland is terrible against the run but it's the same team Hill managed to only put up ~5 points against earlier this year.

I am also in the predicament of having West/Ware and Hill as my flex/rb options for the week. I'm tempted to play both West and Ware since they predicting Ware gets the goal line work, but that seems way to cute.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 4, 2015

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I'm mad at Detroit something awful because I'm playing for the bye this week, against the other guy who is playing for it, and NATURALLY he has Aaron Rodgers as his quarterback. First three quarters, I'm stoked, and then...that happens.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
NFL.com where I own Cobb: touchdown doesn't count (because it isn't a passing or rushing touchdown).

Yahoo.com where I'm playing against Cobb: touchdown counts.

FML.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Can't really claim to have seen Charles and Bell's injuries coming, but boy howdy do I feel good about crowning Peterson as the #1 overall pick back in August

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Can't really claim to have seen Charles and Bell's injuries coming, but boy howdy do I feel good about crowning Peterson as the #1 overall pick back in August

That's just luck. Injuries hit randomly (unless it's Foster or Ellington) so you just have to draft with depth in mind in case the unfortunate occurs.

Lacy and Anderson are the huge busts out of the Round 1. Peterson is right about where everyone thought he'd be. He's not a standout RB1 like 2013 J. Charles but he just wins it by default due to injuries to Bell, Charles, and Lynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Freezer posted:

I don't believe there's a player that has proven more detrimental to their owners than first round pick Eddie Lacy this year. If by some miracle I make the playoffs, I'll keep being pestered by the Lacy/Starks decision week to week.

How could you even consider starting Lacy in a playoff game after what happened last night?

• Locked thread