Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

New Leaf posted:

It's Cloth when you break it down.

The way people have it stored, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they were using it as toilet paper. Gotta do what you gotta do in the Wasteland.

Theres a dialogue option where someone says literally this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I took one level of Cap Collector at low level and I'm absolutely swimming in caps with not a goddamn thing to spend it on. Why anyone needs to set up stores to generate more money I'll never know.

have you ever had to outfit 20 settlers? gatling lasers are expensive :colbert:

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I took one level of Cap Collector at low level and I'm absolutely swimming in caps with not a goddamn thing to spend it on. Why anyone needs to set up stores to generate more money I'll never know.

It's the same with Scrounger, for ammo. Take one rank, and go about your business for a while. It isn't immediately noticeable, but in two or three hours you'll have more ammo than you'll ever use.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Backhand posted:

It's the same with Scrounger, for ammo. Take one rank, and go about your business for a while. It isn't immediately noticeable, but in two or three hours you'll have more ammo than you'll ever use.

Except shotgun shells, which I have like 40 of. :argh:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sylink posted:

Haha so it just makes you ignore certain quests forever. Weird.

From what I understand, if you do it this way the only thing you have to ignore is PAM, who apparently is bugged and acts like the brotherhood is destroyed. Max on the brotherhood side pouts and won't talk to you, so no escalation happens there. The video goes more into the details of its effects but it does seem to be a legit ending with bugs, rather then a bugged ending.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

New Leaf posted:

I like automatics but they burn a lot of ammo. I also like giving my companions a bunch of guns and they need ammo too, they go through an unbelievable number of rounds. I buy a lot of ammo.

That being said, I don't actually spend caps. I barter with guns and pre-war money because I need to be the richest debutante in the wasteland.

I like to hoard poo poo long enough to dump it on a top-tier weapon vendor and get all of the ammo and most of his 1-2k caps back. On top of that the vendor then pays into the workbench. It lets me keep my vendors in poverty and servitude and they thank me for it and pay me for the privilege. I am the best.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Backhand posted:

I wouldn't say a few hours, more like a few days, but for a while my tactic was to save my good poo poo like 5.56, .45, .308 and laser batteries for when I actually need it, and use a .38 pipe gun for low-level easy poo poo. For some dumb reason, .50 seems easier to find than .308 and my .308 combat rifle is better than my .50 sniper, so since I'm at a level now where the pipe gun is getting to be pretty useless, my .50 sniper is my "your lowliness offends me" gun. Also I've taken to bashing dumb poo poo like radroaches, which is a notable Thing in my world cause I never use melee weapons.

I do want .38 to be useful though. I've got at least 3,000 rounds just chilling with nothing to do with it. Stuff I can one-shot with most of the rest of my guns takes long enough to put down with .38 that I end up eating like three molotovs and a frag grenade before whatever it is is dead.

Maybe I should just up the difficulty level? Cause seriously, at this point the two points I've put into the perks to find caps and ammo would really be better spent elsewhere. I can't carry enough weight, my heavy weapons are too weak and my explosives aren't powerful enough, for starters.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 4, 2015

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I was debating putting a point into this or the ammo perk, they really make that much of a difference?

EDIT: Posted before seeing the previous five or so posts are about this, oops! :derp:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

titties posted:

I like automatics but they burn a lot of ammo. I also like giving my companions a bunch of guns and they need ammo too, they go through an unbelievable number of rounds. I buy a lot of ammo.

That being said, I don't actually spend caps. I barter with guns and pre-war money because I need to be the richest debutante in the wasteland.

I like to hoard poo poo long enough to dump it on a top-tier weapon vendor and get all of the ammo and most of his 1-2k caps back. On top of that the vendor then pays into the workbench. It lets me keep my vendors in poverty and servitude and they thank me for it and pay me for the privilege. I am the best.

I give my companions guns I don't use. I hate plasma in these games but I recognize their power, so Piper has her very own legendary plasma pistol and every plasma thingie I find. Nick uses the .45 I got off of Kellogg. The only person using a round I use is Deacon - he has 500 rounds of .50 Cal on him, and I have another 1500 more on me. I still have like 28k caps on me at any given moment.

Johnny Truant posted:

I was debating putting a point into this or the ammo perk, they really make that much of a difference?

EDIT: Posted before seeing the previous five or so posts are about this, oops! :derp:

It adds a small amount of caps to a thing that would normally have less, or be entirely empty. So now 75% of every once empty box or locker or desk or filing cabinet or lunch box or whatever has 5-15 caps in it. Clear an office building and find caps in every single container and suddenly you've got an extra 300 caps plus your salvage/loot. It's small but really adds up.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 4, 2015

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Geomancing posted:

Can anyone tell me if the Blitz perk works with unarmed weapons? Knuckles/power fists, and the like.

Yes, it does work with unarmed stuff - I'm playing through with an unarmed/blitz guy now. It's hysterical teleporting across a room or through a wall and destroying someone with one punch or a judo throw.

Here's the piggyback question, does the increased damage with Gun Fu for additional targets take into account melee/unarmed damage? I'd assume so but wanted to check before I invest anything in it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I honestly and literally do not understand where people are finding bullet sponge enemies.I feel like I have never in the whole game encountered anything that takes any sort of excessive numbers of hits. Are people flat out playing wrong in some way?

I'm not even trying to be some sort of condescending jerk about how great I am at this game or something. It feels like a thing I've heard a bunch of times in this thread but never ever encountered. Everything in this game is so super fragile. Is there some sort of common misunderstanding about game mechanics people are hitting that I didn't? Nothing in this game ever has felt like it was designed to have even remotely high HP. But every page is people talking like they are playing borderlands or something where everything takes 1300 hits.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I honestly and literally do not understand where people are finding bullet sponge enemies.I feel like I have never in the whole game encountered anything that takes any sort of excessive numbers of hits. Are people flat out playing wrong in some way?

I'm not even trying to be some sort of condescending jerk about how great I am at this game or something. It feels like a thing I've heard a bunch of times in this thread but never ever encountered. Everything in this game is so super fragile. Is there some sort of common misunderstanding about game mechanics people are hitting that I didn't? Nothing in this game ever has felt like it was designed to have even remotely high HP. But every page is people talking like they are playing borderlands or something where everything takes 1300 hits.

No human should survive a .50 cal to the skull. Most do at higher difficulties.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So I tried to steal this guys power armor...

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

titties posted:

There's a patch in beta if you're on PC.

Nope, Xboner here. Yet another example of PC gaming being the obviously better choice, if only to MAKE the goddamn game behave.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Deathclaws can be hard to bring down with the wrong weapons. And the giant guard robots.

By the late game of course, you're an unstoppable murder god, but in the early game certain enemies can be hard to bring down with your crappy pipe and 10mm guns without all the high level mods unlocked.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Has anyone made a graph to show damage done when comparing damage vs DR? I feel like that would help me better imagine what the gently caress is going on there with Bethesda's new formula. Particular how it affects high damage low ROF vs high ROF low damage attacks.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

New Leaf posted:

No human should survive a .50 cal to the skull. Most do at higher difficulties.

Like, is that it? People are thinking in FPS terms and things taking 2-3 headshots is thought of as bullet spongeyness?

titties
May 10, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, is that it? People are thinking in FPS terms and things taking 2-3 headshots is thought of as bullet spongeyness?

No. At lower levels, things like Mirelurks and Mr. Gutsys take a stupid amount of bullets to kill.

On my level 50 character, even with a heavily-modded legendary combat rifle with a 50 rad damage bonus, being just a teensy bit out of the weapon's range results in basically doing chip damage against human enemies which makes encounters like that feel really bullet-spongy.

I'm on normal.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

titties posted:

On my level 50 character, even with a heavily-modded legendary combat rifle with a 50 rad damage bonus, being just a teensy bit out of the weapon's range results in basically doing chip damage against human enemies which makes encounters like that feel really bullet-spongy.

I'm on normal.

This is what I mean, I see people talking like this but never have encountered this at all. I'm around level 50 and a combat rifle with or without 50 rad damage would be taking off at least a third of a health bar with each shot on nearly any human enemy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

titties posted:

No. At lower levels, things like Mirelurks and Mr. Gutsys take a stupid amount of bullets to kill.

I'm on normal.

Mirelurks have to be shot in the body, not their shell. Hit them there with a decent weapon and they fall apart in a few hits. I had success against them with shotguns. I never fought too many Mr. Gutsy's, but from what I understand they're more of a boss-type enemy, and should be able to take quite a few bullets. Regardless, heavy weapons (missile launchers, gauss rifles, etc.) make short work of them.

I've actually never noticed an issue with weapon range, personally. I tend to use the 10mm that the Railroad gives you for most stuff, and fully modded it rips everything to shreds in a few hits. Yeah, the occasional raider might take 2-3 shots instead of one, but it hasn't ever really been an issue. Have you just not been modifying your weapons or something?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think these accounts are probably coming from people playing on hard or survival. On normal I haven't noticed anything either.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Mirelurks take forever to kill if you're shooting at them from above with a rifle or pistol or something, but if you shoot them in the underbelly (torso, face) with a shotgun or energy weapon they go down pretty easy.

You just gotta use the right weapons for the right enemies.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Entropic posted:

Mirelurks take forever to kill if you're shooting at them from above with a rifle or pistol or something, but if you shoot them in the underbelly (torso, face) with a shotgun or energy weapon they go down pretty easy.

It's a nice touch, visually, how lasers bounce off their shells

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Magmarashi posted:

It's a nice touch, visually, how lasers bounce off their shells

Yeah I thought that was cool the first time I saw it happen.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Entropic posted:

Yeah I thought that was cool the first time I saw it happen.

Honestly the first thing I thought when I saw it happen was 'well, gently caress' as it charged towards me

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Deified Data posted:

I think these accounts are probably coming from people playing on hard or survival. On normal I haven't noticed anything either.

Nah, I played on very hard or survival the whole game. It seems like people mention it enough it's gotta be something but it feels so the opposite experience I've had the whole game.

Are a lot of people playing this like call of duty and it's no VATS, no weapon modding, all center shots, no sneak, no crits, only early game weapons challenge runs that they think are the way the game is supposed to be played? My whole experience with this game is that once you see an enemy and are in range the enemy is dead and any of the difficulty is managing how many enemies are rushing you so you don't get mobbed, I have never ever encountered enemies that take any really significant number of shots. Let alone that being a big feature of this game where people sound like they are playing a really bullet spongey game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if you don't take the 20 perks or so that bump your damage to 1 million a lot of things seem like bullet sponges

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
For me the realization about combat difficulty (I am specced into automatics) was to never-not use armor-piercing receiver mods. Sure, you do a little less damage, but you wind up slicing through their defenses so efficiently that it absolutely doesn't matter. My full-auto, armor piercing combat rifle rips through human enemies in one or two bursts, and large, boss-type enemies in one or two magazines. And this is before any psycho.

Also the .45 ammo that the combat rifle uses is really, really, really common. I've got two or three thousand rounds at this point, never bought any ammo, and only use one rank of Scrounger.

EDIT: Also, the extra enemy stagger bonus you get from automatic specialization - especially if stacked with an 'extra stagger' legendary - means anything smaller than a boss spends the majority of its battle with you flailing blindly while you fill it with lead.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 4, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if you don't take the 20 perks or so that bump your damage to 1 million a lot of things seem like bullet sponges

Like, what perks? Almost every tree is directly or indirectly increasing damage. The crafting perks add more damage than the damage perks, the sneak perks add huge damage, perception and luck add tons of damage in vats. Are people avoiding damage increasing perks like its a cheat?

I know early on people were posting they spent many levels thinking you could only level the "special" skills and not understanding perks. Are there people that are 10 in every stat and have no perks at all and that is why they think the enemies take too much damage?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Survival is absolutely a bullet sponge zone, so much that on my first play through I ran out of ammunition for my rifles because I didn't take scrounger and all the enemies took multiple rounds to bring down.

I only play survival edit
This is both with the rifle damage perks and the pistol perks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, what perks? Almost every tree is directly or indirectly increasing damage. The crafting perks add more damage than the damage perks, the sneak perks add huge damage, perception and luck add tons of damage in vats.

I know early on people were posting they spent many levels thinking you could only level the "special" skills and not understanding perks. Are there people that are 10 in every stat and have no perks at all and that is why they think the enemies take too much damage?
ninja, better criticals, rifleman or gunslinger and that .50 goes from doing 5% damage to 2000%

the only things you get shafted on are heavy weapons but they're recognized to be universally poo poo

titties
May 10, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Mirelurks have to be shot in the body, not their shell. Hit them there with a decent weapon and they fall apart in a few hits.

Entropic posted:

Yeah no poo poo. What I said was that to a low-level character (think level 10 with a semi-auto .38 pipe pistol) that mirelurk is bullet-songey.

Dirk the Average posted:

I've actually never noticed an issue with weapon range, personally. I tend to use the 10mm that the Railroad gives you for most stuff, and fully modded it rips everything to shreds in a few hits. Yeah, the occasional raider might take 2-3 shots instead of one, but it hasn't ever really been an issue. Have you just not been modifying your weapons or something?

Yes, a fully-modded Deliverer with a few levels of gunslinger behind it is effective against a lot of enemies.

I have Gun Nut 4, and even with level 2 commando and an irradiated automatic combat rifle with high-end mods I will still do virtually no damage outside the weapon's range. That doesn't mean that the enemy is a bullet sponge, but it still feels that way.

I have fired a silenced sniper rifle from stealth at an enemies who were just inside console draw distance, received a hit marker, and seen their health bar pop up displaying zero damage.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

ninja, better criticals, rifleman or gunslinger and that .50 goes from doing 5% damage to 2000%

the only things you get shafted on are heavy weapons but they're recognized to be universally poo poo

I really am trying not to say I'm some videogame master or something, I just don't understand in a literal way. Are there people that are not taking any damage perks (or crafting perks which are secretly the biggest damage perks in the game) and then thinking the enemies take too much damage? But like not as an intentional challenge run? Like do people skip the whole perk/level up system? I know there is a ton of people that skip VATS for whatever reason.

I feel like the whole game I was putting away my better weapons just to make things a bit more exciting even on survival, but this thread feels like it's got a ton of people feeling the opposite and that enemies take too many hits. And in a literal sense I can't figure out what difference in playstyle is accounting for that, since I feel like I've varied how I'm playing a few times through the game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
LIke are people going "I don't use vats, I don't use perks, I don't use stealth, I don't use scopes, I don't use any chems, why did they make the game like this"?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Can you potentially stop melting down

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

LIke are people going "I don't use vats, I don't use perks, I don't use stealth, I don't use scopes, I don't use any chems, why did they make the game like this"?

It's you Owlofcreamcheese. you're the only one playing this game right. You tell those pleebs.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheStampede posted:

It's you Owlofcreamcheese. you're the only one playing this game right. You tell those pleebs.

I want to figure out how to make this game hard.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

You're Mount Etna.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This game is cool

The more spawns mod is hilarious and having 30 synths run at you is disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

strong bird posted:

Can you potentially stop melting down

Well it is Fallout, so if he melts down it's not like we can't just pop some Rad-X.

• Locked thread