Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Keeshhound posted:

Well, the first amendment, for one.

There are plenty of examples of that not being a factor for example:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!

It's kind of strangely satisfying to see a left-wing tabloid.

Especially with current tabloids literally saying that Obama knew about Paris and handed control to Putin out of cowardice. I mean, that is a nice break from every President constantly being on the brink of divorce, I guess, but it would be nice if these fuckers admitted that their President is a stone - cold badass who riffed on their current toupeed idol while ordering a strike on someone they'd worship anyone else as an incarnate god for killing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Azuth0667 posted:

There are plenty of examples of that not being a factor for example:

Then please, give me an example of how you want to enshrine hate speech into law so that it can be legally punished.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Keeshhound posted:

Then please, give me an example of how you want to enshrine hate speech into law so that it can be legally punished.

I have no idea how to phrase this but, why don't we start with something that already exists like the UK's hate speech laws from public order 1986 section 18:

"A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or

(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby."

Modify that to whatever we need to fit for the US.

E: I forgot the punished part. Scale the fine based on the individuals net income and for corporations make it be X% of gross profit for Y years.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 4, 2015

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

You do realize most first world countries have these kinds of laws right? It isn't some magical turning point that's impossible to enact without eroding our very liberties.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tell us how you really feel, Daily News

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Even ignoring first amendment concerns, there's also the fact that the "if they lie, make them spend advertisement slots to correct it" part it would be completely infeasible to implement and enforce.

For one, how would you avoid partisanship in whatever organization was given the task of identifying lies? Would there be an appeals process? If not, what if the organization is just wrong and something isn't actually false? If so, how would it work in such a way that organizations couldn't just drag through things on technicalities and semantics until the correction was to something that no one cares about anymore?

What is the degree to which something would be judged? If someone said that a public official was, say, 72 instead of 62, would that be a lie that would force the loss of multiple advertising slots on assuring a correction? How do you even begin to develop an objective standard for something like this? And how are you going to make sure people actually pay attention to it? Especially considering that studies have shown that once a person hears false information later corrections are more likely to not be registered or outright ignored in the mind in favor of the original fact.

Would the same punishments be enforced for something that legitimately is likely an error? If so, how would that not just disincentivize any sort of news broadcast given the fact that you're holding everyone to a "get it perfect or face heavy punishment" standard? If not, how could you determine intent for something minor or nonobvious without a prolonged investigation? And if you only investigate big things, what's to prevent a company from just going more subtle?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

big mean giraffe posted:

You do realize most first world countries have these kinds of laws right? It isn't some magical turning point that's impossible to enact without eroding our very liberties.

And in the US, those laws have fared almost universally poorly when challenged in the Supreme Court.

Azuth0667 posted:

I have no idea how to phrase this but, why don't we start with something that already exists like the UK's hate speech laws from public order 1986 section 18:

"A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or

This is really hard to prove, especially in the context of the media.

quote:

(b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby."

And this is so vague as to be useless. How do you prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the Aryan News Network knew that their article 10 Reasons Why The Jew Living Next To You Is Plotting Your Downfall? would cause Jimbob to shoot up a synagogue? What if ANN is a satirical publication and an idiot racist just took it seriously. Are they liable for that?

And it's even worse in the age of the internet. If I run a blog and post a hate screed meant for my followers, but it goes viral and someone who lives on the opposite coast from me reads it and it inspires them to go on a rampage, does that count? What if it's satirical? What about news organizations that repost it as part of their reporting of it going viral?

And again, even if you navigate all of those problems, SCOTUS has a history of bringing the hammer down on these laws the moment they get challenged.

Sure, any part of the constitution might be one SCOTUS ruling away from being changed or rejected, but historically they've been overwhelmingly supportive of a liberal interpretation of the first amendment, especially in the context of hate speech laws.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 4, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

As an example, here's a part of Germany's §130 StGB against incitement of the people:

quote:

(1) Whosoever, in a manner capable of disturbing the public peace

1. incites hatred against a national, racial, religious group or a group defined by their ethnic origins, against segments of the population or individuals because of their belonging to one of the aforementioned groups or segments of the population or calls for violent or arbitrary measures against them; or

2. assaults the human dignity of others by insulting, maliciously maligning an aforementioined group, segments of the population or individuals because of their belonging to one of the aforementioned groups or segments of the population, or defaming segments of the population,

shall be liable to imprisonment from three months to five years.

(2) Whosoever

1. with respect to written materials (section 11(3)) which incite hatred against an aforementioned group, segments of the population or individuals because of their belonging to one of the aforementioned groups or segments of the population which call for violent or arbitrary measures against them, or which assault their human dignity by insulting, maliciously maligning or defaming them,

(a) disseminates such written materials;

(b) publicly displays, posts, presents, or otherwise makes them accessible;

(c) offers, supplies or makes them accessible to a person under eighteen years; or

(d) produces, obtains, supplies, stocks, offers, announces, commends, undertakes to import or export them, in order to use them or copies obtained from them within the meaning of Nos (a) to (c) or facilitate such use by another; or

2. disseminates a presentation of the content indicated in No 1 above by radio, media services, or telecommunication services

shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding three years or a fine.

To my admittedly limited understanding, a key point here is actually the very first sentence "in a manner capable of disturbing the public peace". So it's not just a matter of the content of the speech, but rather whether it is capable of disturbing the public peace or inciting further action.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 210 days!
Out of curiosity, is there legislation which requires that print newspapers issue corrections on factual errors, or is that simply something they do because they want to be, well, factual?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hodgepodge posted:

Out of curiosity, is there legislation which requires that print newspapers issue corrections on factual errors, or is that simply something they do because they want to be, well, factual?

Most of the laws for newspapers are in regards to advertising, privacy and political advocacy. It's pretty much all self-policing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

The latter.

It's a combination of that and also if you're getting emails and phone calls screaming at you, you want that to stop.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

big mean giraffe posted:

Restricting political speech is the definition of eroded liberty. :psyduck:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

big mean giraffe posted:

Holocaust denial laws were recently used as a cudgel to prosecute Muslims in France. The funny part was that it came right after that "March for Freedom of Expression" for the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

Of course, they'll use other means to demonstrate that double standard too.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

computer parts posted:

Holocaust denial laws were recently used as a cudgel to prosecute Muslims in France. The funny part was that it came right after that "March for Freedom of Expression" for the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

Of course, they'll use other means to demonstrate that double standard too.

This is exactly the poo poo I'm talking about. You can't word a hate speech law vaguely enough to catch the bastards without making it expansive enough that it can be used to hurt people you just disagree with.

Edit: An excerpt:

quote:

In the northern city of Lille, authorities suspended three school workers for allegedly refusing to observe a moment of silence in honor of the victims of the attacks, and then justifying their action. One is being charged with “defending terrorism.” The accused denies that he refused to respect the minute of silence, but said he did “debate it with colleagues outside work hours.”

"Honoring the people we want you to honor is MANDATORY! If you don't display the proper amount of reverence, you're a TERRORIST!"

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 4, 2015

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who thought the 2nd picture was Jeb at first.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yep

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
So earlier today MSNBC rifled through the shooters' house. Live on air. They showed someone's (I think his mom's?) SSN card, unblurred, and spent a good amount of time pointing out the children's Quran in the closet.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

PUGGERNAUT posted:

So earlier today MSNBC rifled through the shooters' house. Live on air. They showed someone's (I think his mom's?) SSN card, unblurred, and spent a good amount of time pointing out the children's Quran in the closet.

There were also FBI forms still in the house. Sounds like it wasn't cleared for the media to stomp around in yet.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

PUGGERNAUT posted:

From what I saw (On a short break from working) the FBI cleared the house but the police haven't had a chance to investigate it yet. Is that right or am I misinformed?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
No matter what the technicalities are its extremely weird and a clear sign of how broadly and quickly we suspend all rational thought when it comes to TRUE SWARTHY TERRORISM.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
MSNBC, CNN, and Fox had crews inside the shooters' house, but I liked Fox's labeling of their coverage the best:

:ghost:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sir Tonk posted:

That's the show on PBS that I'm always amazed is still going and hasn't changed a bit in decades. It's so nice that they give Buchanan a place to run his mouth .

The next man on the moon will be Chinese!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMV3dc2PbI

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I honestly cannot tell if this person is serious.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I honestly cannot tell if this person is serious.

Irishmen: the original swarthy foreigner.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Obama can't even get politicians to keep known terrorists from buying guns, yet he is all powerful when it comes to covering up the evidence of said terrorists using those guns.

20 children get massacred and Obama can't even get background checks on gun purchases, but he competently staged the entire Sandy Hook shooting with perfect crisis actors who have never broken their silence.

People are weird.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

William Bear posted:

MSNBC, CNN, and Fox had crews inside the shooters' house, but I liked Fox's labeling of their coverage the best:

:ghost:

I'm pretty sure I went there for Halloween.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

If you got this from the same account I saw, its incomplete without the commentary: "those are kiwis, take a deep breath"

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Was this deleted? Don't see it on their twitter.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's a 'shop.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I mean, regardless of how much I agree with it, that terrorism headline is gonna result in a lawsuit from Lapierre,yes?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Azuth0667 posted:

The biggest problem is these broadcasters spreading lies or hatred right?

So make hate speech a crime that carries fines. Then when a lie is discovered force them to spend several advertising slots to retract the lie and state what the truth is. Don't allow unsubstantiated speculation or any excuses for the outright lies and you have something that will give them pause because their precious advertising revenue is at stake.

This is a bridge too far, a tad ridiculous and, as others have pointed out, a clear violation of the 1st amendment. But I could behind something that labels and separates "news" from "opinion", similar to the way that magazines are made to label advertisements that are designed to look like articles.

But basically, the argument you're positing is pretty short sighted and a tad ignorant. People like Ice-T, NWA and Larry Flynt would be in jail based on your idea, going back to the 90's. Probably Michael Moore, the Dixie Chicks, Bill Maher...a whole lot of people would be subject to prosecution under this nebulous umbrella that you're suggesting.

To start with: define "hate speech". Then explain how satire is different. What happens when you report a "lie" but you've sourced it? Does the person who wrote the lie that was sourced get prosecuted? This is a pretty bad idea you've got here.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Can we just give politifact the ability to levy fines?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Can we just give politifact the ability to levy fines?

The same website that called democrats liars for saying Paul Ryan was going to end medicare just he wanted to change it to a block grant system instead of a defined benefit program? But it was still called medicare, so obviously that was a lie.

No politifact still has plenty of problems, even if it's still better than most.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think the issue is that as the media landscape has changed, content producers have been scrambling to find business models to sustain themselves. Right wing media has found a strong niche by creating a narrative that causes brand loyalty, and have found a group of advertisers that like that same demographic. Many other outlets have seen the success of Fox et al and have tried to imitate then without understanding why Fox's model works, and we see the race to the bottom in terms of sensationalism and pandering to the audience because these networks are struggling to stay alive and the RWM model seems to be the best way to keep limping along. Our media landscape is changing faster than the news institutions can adapt and here we are.

I don't know if it would actually work, but I imagine that strong public funding for newsrooms that extends down to the local level wouldn't hurt. Not necessarily a BBC style network, but maybe some kind of grant system to support local and state investigative work? It's a mess and I don't even know if there is an answer, but I do think that the decay of strong local and state level journalism has to play a role in how our electorate has changed. I do think the total focus on national news has warped political discourse in a way that encourages gridlock and polarization.

Anyone have recommendations for research on things like this?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn't see this in here yesterday, but from YOSPOS:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

can't flim flam the zim zam

Source: https://twitter.com/therealgeorgez

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It'll never make up for him stalking and murdering a child for no reason but I'm glad life keeps making GBS threads on him.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Just can't muster a lot of sympathy for anyone who would associate with that piece of poo poo, much less date him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

beatlegs posted:

Just can't muster a lot of sympathy for anyone who would associate with that piece of poo poo, much less date him.

I was going to argue that it was possible that she was simply ignorant of who he was but that goes out the window with someone as narcissistic and brash as him.