Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

AgentJR posted:

Also, I'm not sure if this is known yet but using the "command" function of Robotics Expert 3 and giving literally any command will make the target a temporary robot companion. Now I just need to find out if I can hack hostile robots when I'm still undetected by them.

Actually, it's not temporary. They tend to get lost, but will follow you until you either deactivate them or someone destroys them. I had a sentry killbot following me around, spawning randomly in unexpected places, as I fast traveled, with often hilarious unintended (murderous) results.

I don't know what the key to hacking a hostile robot is, but I have managed to pull it off several times. I'm yet to hack an assaultron though, even though I've pretty much sneaked up far enough to go up their arse without them noticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

AgentJR posted:

I really have to find a way to keep settlers from stealing my cool guns, even in the workshop they aren't safe and I made the mistake of arming everyone with different calibres of weaponry. Maybe I ought to just revert them all to .38 and just carry my piper rifle with me at all times. This is what I get for recruiting a bunch of kleptomaniacs (like myself).

Wait a second - settlers will actually steal my items?! (So that's where my Jangles the Moon Monkey went, those fuckers!) Does this just include ones lying around and in the workshop, or also guns in chests? Since I genuinely have so many guns in my weapons locker that I doubt I'd notice if a couple went missing here and there; however I'm also enough of hoarder that I also don't want the settlers to actually have any of them, either! :D (I might need them one day, after all! I only give the two guards decent guns and armour)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Wait a second - settlers will actually steal my items?! (So that's where my Jangles the Moon Monkey went, those fuckers!) Does this just include ones lying around and in the workshop, or also guns in chests? Since I genuinely have so many guns in my weapons locker that I doubt I'd notice if a couple went missing here and there; however I'm also enough of hoarder that I also don't want the settlers to actually have any of them, either! :D (I might need them one day, after all! I only give the two guards decent guns and armour)

Settlers will nab guns from your basic containers (shelves, cabinets, etc.) but they can't go into your workshop. I noticed a settler walking around with my tricked out Assault Rifle that they stole because a single Mole Rat walked by :mad:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When can I make the Atom Cats ally with the Minutemen and usher in a new age of cool in Boston?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Settlers will nab guns from your basic containers (shelves, cabinets, etc.) but they can't go into your workshop. I noticed a settler walking around with my tricked out Assault Rifle that they stole because a single Mole Rat walked by :mad:

drat. Is there any way to prevent this, like being able to mark containers as "not yours, piss off" for the AI in the console, or something like that? Since I don't really want to have to wall-off my weapons and armour area if I can avoid it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Star Guarded posted:

Wow, high level settler attacks don't gently caress around. Ten super mutant overlords with miniguns and super sledges attacked Finch Farm. Finch farm, which had one turret, 5 food, 3 water, and the Finch family. I went there in power armor and any time I didn't use Jet I instantly died from all the minigun fire. I took every drug in the game, sprinted into the face of three overlords and critical hit them at point blank with my shotgun, then watched as the entire Finch family picked up miniguns and returned fire from their shack.

I had one of these but I was in tricked out power armor so all the bullets were like rain.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

drat. Is there any way to prevent this, like being able to mark containers as "not yours, piss off" for the AI in the console, or something like that? Since I don't really want to have to wall-off my weapons and armour area if I can avoid it.

All you can do it toss your stuff in the workbench. If you label your favorite equipment with a hypen in front of it (like -10mm Pistol) they'll always appear at the top of the list.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

All you can do it toss your stuff in the workbench. If you label your favorite equipment with a hypen in front of it (like -10mm Pistol) they'll always appear at the top of the list.

Counter point i have had my poo poo in storage lockers on the second story of my settlement since nearly the beginning of the game and no one has taken anything.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I have NO idea where Strong went since I didn't take him up on his offer after I freed him from the tower and haven't seen him anywhere.

He's still at Trinity Tower if you never took him. That's where he was when I went back for him and then ditched him again a few minutes later after BLURGH STRONG DO THINGS got old really really fast.

katkillad2 posted:

Glory should have been a companion, also Buddy. Some serious missed opportunity there.

Buddy as a companion, yes, definitely.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Alabaster White posted:

You could probably use the console to lock the container. I don't think they get get items out of locked containers.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I went toe to toe with a Legendary Alpha Deathclaw today. Before I power-fisted it to death, I took pretty much every combat related aid item/drug beforehand. Hearing my punchwoman scream RAWWRRRRR!!! in slow motion was both the coolest and most hilarious point of the game so far.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How the hell do you beat an alpha deathclaw in melee outside of power armor? Everytime I tried, they would just grab me and perform an instant kill move.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The drugs were mostly insurance, but 90% of my survival was the fact I snuck up on it and used all my banked criticals multiplied by a stupidly high sneak bonus.

Come to think of it, I pretty much copied my skyrim build. You could backstab dragons with some crazy high 32x damage multiplier

buglord fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 4, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Crabtree posted:

Where the gently caress are the DC ants anyway? Could they not compete with the giant mosquitoes or were the bloatflies gross enough? I'm guessing no rad spiders because every other RPG has giant spiders in spades and all the phobes would just hate the game for making a spider the size of a Mirelurk Queen.

You killed the only queen.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Paladin Danse dislikes when I fly into psychojet murder sprees

Goodbye, Paladin Danse

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I got Doc Anderson, the special recruitable doctor merchant. She's great, huge cash pile, sells good amounts of jet/psycho/stimpaks. So why does she keep telling me to go easy on the chems? Get off my loving back, lady.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Paladin Danse dislikes when I fly into psychojet murder sprees

Goodbye, Paladin Danse

Hell yeah man, live your dreams. Nobody needs that kind of negativity in their life.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

How the hell do you beat an alpha deathclaw in melee outside of power armor? Everytime I tried, they would just grab me and perform an instant kill move.

Keep your distance and abuse chems.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Deified Data posted:

Keep your distance and abuse chems.

much like my sex life

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
So i was doing the first institute quest, to find the rogue synth. Having to cross the waterworld-esque boat raider hideout thing. I did this quest in my power armor and fell off the boats and sunk to the bottom. The last save i have before that is like 30 mins back and i can't seem to get out of the water anywhere. I'm on ps4 so no console. Am i just screwed?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hit the weirdest loving bug and I don't know if its some hidden thing I've never heard of or if Cait has hosed a playthrough up completely, but for some reason my adventure to booze with the Irishwoman has caused my 10 Agility character to permanently lose AP reserve from over 100 to down to 75. Is this something I'm just going to have to lose progress to avoid or what?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Loose Ifer posted:

So i was doing the first institute quest, to find the rogue synth. Having to cross the waterworld-esque boat raider hideout thing. I did this quest in my power armor and fell off the boats and sunk to the bottom. The last save i have before that is like 30 mins back and i can't seem to get out of the water anywhere. I'm on ps4 so no console. Am i just screwed?

Just walk to shore?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Do I have to give settlers ammo?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Do I have to give settlers ammo?

Settlers need 1 round, followers need all rounds

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

titties posted:

followers need all rounds

Unless you use a gun that the game counts as close enough to their default gun to use the default gun infinite ammo they have. What weapons count seemingly is totally arbitrary and includes some but not all guns that use the same ammo type.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I had a tough time punching my way through there too; I was in single-digit levels I think and only had spiked knux. Killed the poo poo outta the dude in raider power armor tho :cool:

I have bladed (or whatever the best mod for knux is) and I was level 6. Took me hours, and I had to do it in pieces but I did it. Cost me like 5 loving stims.

I'm curious how you handle turrets in places you cannot possibly punch. I now carry a sidearm just to do those.

I also killed protectron after he killed the leader in the garage. I hope htat wasn't a mistake.

Seditiar posted:

This is why I consoled 20k carry weight after finishing the game. How else am I going to haul 6k concrete blocks around for my Junk Jet?

Small poo poo like this is why I had a real gaming computer, but then I realize I don't buy enough games to make it worth it and a mac makes more sense for me anyway. I hate that consoles don't let me have the admin_console thingy. One thing I'd do that I wouldn't consider cheating at all is adding infinite carry weight. All carry weight does for me in games is delay me. I'll just stop what I'm doing and go to a vendor to dump it all off. Or, I'll find a place I can stash it. It's just a waste of my loving time to constantly worry about my carrying capacity. Stop making me care game devs.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Unless you use a gun that the game counts as close enough to their default gun to use the default gun infinite ammo they have. What weapons count seemingly is totally arbitrary and includes some but not all guns that use the same ammo type.

Speaking of default weapons, Preston magically lost his big ol laser gun somehow... :smith:

Also, gently caress the Minutemen, I'm doing everything for you assholes. :mad:

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Alabaster White posted:

drat, can they get into a safe too?

Thinking I might start locking things with a console command soon...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

The game doesn't seem to have any way of marking things so NPCs can't use them. I was on the airship and there was someone sleeping in the bed that was supposed to be mine.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I got tired of the theft problem so I made a 2 story cube building with no doors and just a fast travel point to get inside and made myself a room with all the crafting stations, storage containers for specific things and my comics/bobbleheads. I did make an escape route in the form of a stairway to the roof to jump off of. Spectacle Island is pretty dope.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

see them before they see you, blitz across to them and punch them to death with sneak damage. if this does not work, run away until they forget about you and go back and do it again!

i got a vats enhanced deathclaw gauntlet off a legendary, now i can punch things seven times in vats. it is good

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have the opposite problem, I'll leave piles of guns and armor around and none of my settlers seem that interested in taking them. I mostly haven't bothered equipping settlers, I just build a bunch of turrets.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So beyond some nice scenery and that chinese sub is there anything to actually do under the sea?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Is the chokeslam supposed to be an instant kill move? It's never killed me once. Done plenty of damage, sure. Maybe it's because of my Toughness perks and ... and the drugs I'm on? :shrug:

And forget sneaking to kill a Deathclaw with unarmed/melee. Git gud and just run up on 'em :haw:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Is the chokeslam supposed to be an instant kill move? It's never killed me once. Done plenty of damage, sure. Maybe it's because of my Toughness perks and ... and the drugs I'm on? :shrug:

And forget sneaking to kill a Deathclaw with unarmed/melee. Git gud and just run up on 'em :haw:

No, they have an unique kill animation where they lift you up and shove their claws through your stomach.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

It's not. It only does like 3% damage for me at the moment. If I'm in the sun I actually passively outheal multiple Deathclaws until my armor starts breaking. :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

No, they have an unique kill animation where they lift you up and shove their claws through your stomach.

Yeah I've gotten that one too, hasn't killed me yet. If it's supposed to then maybe it's a bug.

JetsGuy posted:

I have bladed (or whatever the best mod for knux is) and I was level 6. Took me hours, and I had to do it in pieces but I did it. Cost me like 5 loving stims.

I'm curious how you handle turrets in places you cannot possibly punch. I now carry a sidearm just to do those.
Dang I was probably level 9 or so at least, didn't take me quite that long.

And for turrets I can't punch--I drug up to mitigate damage, avoid their line of sight, or find a way up there. Or, if possible, find their terminal. But otherwise if I can't reach them, oh well.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Speaking of default weapons, Preston magically lost his big ol laser gun somehow... :smith:

Sometimes your followers equipped weapons don't show up in the UI. Force him to equip a different gun and it might pop back into his inventory.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Loose Ifer posted:

Sometimes your followers equipped weapons don't show up in the UI. Force him to equip a different gun and it might pop back into his inventory.

They're also very horrible dogs and will pick up a bunch of lovely weapons from enemies you didn't want like 2 unmodded assault rifles or whatever and may switch to those for god knows what reason. I think I pioneered a new way for the game's programming to bug out and add withdraw effects to every booze bottle I drank while I have the party boy perk and shouldn't have that issue at all. What a way to make me stop playing your game until something hopefully patches it in March, beth. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Last time I tried fighting a legendary alpha deathclaw in melee it would grab my character, extend its claws, and then shove them into my soft skull causing it to shatter into a million pieces. Now come to think of it, I was at level 17 on very hard when I fought it so maybe I mistakenly interpreted that as an instant kill move when it was just my character being woefully unprepared.

I just use mines to blow deathclaws legs off on my melee character instead.

• Locked thread