Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Blamestorm posted:

Yeah I'm trying not to be captured by the hype this time (eg BGG gushing). The play time of 90ish minutes is something that is encouraging, so I don't have to choose between playing it and Forbidden Stars if I get it.

I also own Chaos and Kemet, and I have my concerns with Blood Rage (that I recently purchased). I've only played it once so far, and I'll give it a few more tries, but there seemed to be a few cards that could completely foil your plans for the current age, and without knowing that they exist it made it difficult to play around. One of the guys that I played with got really really frustrated about this aspect, but he tends to be a big baby about that kind of poo poo. Also one of the other guys that I played with has gigantic AP issues and was having a rough time drafting things. We still finished in a reasonable amount of time.

The rulebook is split up a bit oddly though and I wasn't a fan of that, particularly for looking stuff up during play. Also it's CMON, so there are titty miniatures. It's not kingdom-death level, but it's firmly in the "if I keep this game I'll have to sculpt some pelts for these poor frigid viking women" territory. The majority of the sculpts are pretty nice however, and I might just keep the game to paint some of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Whoa whoa wait, there's also a Legendary Encounters: Predator? It's not unexpectedly terrible is it? Because a couple pages ago sold me on LE: Aliens and I was already excited, mixing the two would be rad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

memy posted:

While we're talking about Dominion expansions, is there any guide on which ones are the best?

They're all pretty solid with the exception of Alchemy, which is merely OK. It's generally recommended to get the expansions in the order they came out (with the exception of Alchemy, get that last usually), but each expansion usually has one or two core gimmicks they're built around, so if you and your group really enjoy a specific aspect of Dominion, it makes sense to buy an expansion based around that. For example, Prosperity has a focus on big money and comes with a lot of treasures, expensive action cards, and even a new tier of money and victory points, while Seaside has action cards that will stay out and give you effects for two turns, and Dark Ages has a lot of cards focused on trashing.

Dominion is one of my favorites, and it's criminal how little I play it anymore (especially with how much I invested in it).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Splizwarf posted:

Whoa whoa wait, there's also a Legendary Encounters: Predator? It's not unexpectedly terrible is it? Because a couple pages ago sold me on LE: Aliens and I was already excited, mixing the two would be rad.

LE: Predator is not as good, but it's not bad. It's sure as hell not bad enough to stop me buying Legendary Encounters: Big Trouble in Little China when it comes out next year.

(LE: Firefly can go suck its own cock though.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Maaaaan 4 hours of Fury of Dracula last night. This game can run long with a super-analytical group who hate the idea of getting any deduction wrong to the point of marking the map with dice to show where he might have been. We also played against a Dracula who took things really, really slowly and spent virtually every turn at sea, which in turn allowed us to go really slowly and safely, we gave him only a total of two event cards, and drew through nearly all of the event deck, evetually catching up to him during the fourth week with one hunter, who summarily executed his 1HP rear end with a Planned Ambush and a pistol full of holy bullets.

Lesson from this for me: Drac REALLY needs to force the Hunters to take risks. Drac's strategy here left him at sea the vast majority of the time, and whilst that obfuscates his landing point a lot, it doesn't usually obfuscate it enough to mean that in the intervening time of hanging about not doing anything, the PCs won't have drawn some sort of event or got Mina into position to just... immediately narrow it right back down again.

I feel like the game needs to be shorter, and Drac needs some way of drawing event cards of his own volition, because if the PCs are careful and only a bit lucky, he just never gets anything and from personal experience that means he spends a lot of time sitting around not doing much.

I really, really like the game, it's a lovely design, but it's just not quite perfect.

And the rulebooks are just awful.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jedit posted:

Legendary Encounters: Big Trouble in Little China.
You're joking. You're joking, right?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Fat Samurai posted:

You're joking. You're joking, right?

No, this is a thing that is happening along with Firefly.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jedit posted:

Legendary Encounters: Big Trouble in Little China when it comes out next year.

:fap:

Holy gently caress. Can't come quick enough.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Splizwarf posted:

I have it and really enjoy it, though I have never actually played LE: Alien. From what I've read it's basically the same game with some mild game adjustments and the predator theme. Also, while the LE: Alien set is pure coop (with possible traitor) the Predator set is actually half coop and half competitive. The coop half is the same (you and/or your team work together to either kill or at least get away from the predator using two scenarios based on the Predator and Predator 2 movies). The 'versus' game involves the players being the predators and hunting down humans for trophies (victory points basically, with grunts worth a little points and various characters from the movies worth more. Arnold and Danny Glover are considered 'ultimate prey'). Technically there is also a cooperative variant for playing as the predator too, but I haven't tried that. Interestingly, each game uses completely different cards even though the rules are largely the same (there are like 700 cards in the box).

The LE: Pred manual contains a lot of the rules and scenarios for mixing the Alien and Predator games. It also has a card called 'Sexual Tyrannosaurus'.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

The End posted:

Meh. I'll wait for Legendary Encounters: Snake Plissken edition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ If we're in luck, we might get a series of LE: Big Trouble, LE: Escape From NY and LE: The Thing.

The End posted:

Try changing your grip.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Is everyone in love with 7 Wonders: Duel except me? I was excited about it, but I've played it 3 times now and they've all been kind of blah.

It feels like the game plays itself. Many turns only have one or two cards to choose from since your opponent is going to want to reveal as few new options for your turn as possible. Resources seem plentiful and cheap so the costs of cards isn't really an issue. In the third age, my opponent and I could afford any card, so it became a matter of counting ahead in turns to work out how the game would go; "If I choose card A, next turn you will choose card B, then I'll choose C, then you'll choose D", etc. There just weren't enough good decisions to chew on.

I don't think it's that bad, but I'm disappointed. There's too much setup for too little payout. I have a lot of other games at that weight that I would rather play.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone tried the Marquis PnP game?

If yes, is it any good and how hard is it to assemble?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The variable network bonus and player turn order also own. Variable turn order is the best

The variable network bonus is really good and opens up a lot of different things for the base races.

I haven't played with any of the new races yet but playing with the changes is gonna be annoying without stickers.

Also Brass is the god damned truth. Killer game. Got to try Orleans too which I liked but I'm not sure if I liked it enough to buy. It's a nice combination of quickness and depth but /shrug I dunno.

I think I finished 2nd in both (Although Brass was blind luck because I'm pretty sure I massively hosed up the Canal phase) Mega64 :arghfist:

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 4, 2015

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

T-Bone posted:

The variable network bonus is really good and opens up a lot of different things for the base races.

I haven't played with any of the new races yet but playing with the changes is gonna be annoying without stickers.

Also Brass is the god damned truth. Killer game. Got to try Orleans too which I liked but I'm not sure if I liked it enough to buy. It's a nice combination of quickness and depth but /shrug I dunno.

I wish I could play Brass more. The iOS version is pretty and all but I like cardboard aesthetics on that one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

sonatinas posted:

I wish I could play Brass more. The iOS version is pretty and all but I like cardboard aesthetics on that one.

I noticed that, there's a nice thickness to it -- although my copy was missing a yellow disc :mad:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Amazon is having a one-day strategy games sale. There are a few goon-approved games on there like the Dominion Big Box for $52 and Kingdom Builder for $32.

I'm kind of surprised to see RoboRally there, though. I thought that went out of print ages ago.

e: also Dominion core is on sale for $20. I was going to wait and get it at my FLGS maybe after the holidays, but I don't think I can pass it up at this price.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 4, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't played Dominion, I've just gone on BGG and read the instructions. Admittedly I checked out the "combined rules" that has everything, so I probably scared myself off by doing that.

Mainly I don't want a game that's going to balloon.

If you want to know more about Dominion you can play against AIs for free with Dominion.NET (http://dominion.technowall.net/). It goes up to Guilds, you can restrict to just Base set if you want the easy stuff, and you can hover over cards to take as much time as you'd like to learn what stuff does.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Jesus, it's Legendary Encounters: My Netflix Queue.

While we're getting crazy wishes granted: Dear Santa, please let them also do Robocop, The Thing, Terminator, and Judge Dredd, thanks in advance!

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Legendary Encounters: Die Hard

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wouldn't The Thing be more of a traitor game?

Unless they can figure out how to do a deckbuilder traitor game...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
FYI Bad Beets is a good gateway game to get family into the new era games this Holiday season, and the theme lends to attracting the younger kids.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

sector_corrector posted:

If you want to know more about Dominion you can play against AIs for free with Dominion.NET (http://dominion.technowall.net/). It goes up to Guilds, you can restrict to just Base set if you want the easy stuff, and you can hover over cards to take as much time as you'd like to learn what stuff does.
Oooohhhhh someone put the Isotropic code up online gently caress yes gimme.

E: I know it's not actually that but it'll scratch an itch.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Dominion bores me.

I mean, I know it's a well-designed game, but when I get together with my friends, I want to talk to them. Playing Dominion just means the four of us sitting in a circle while one rattles off what he's doing, then to the next person, and so forth. It's the driest of the dry. It's just not for me.

I found I had the same problem with a lot of card-drafting games. Lots of staring at your hand and not saying much. It's not that they're (all) bad, I just like more table talk than these games usually allow.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Morpheus posted:

Dominion bores me.

I mean, I know it's a well-designed game, but when I get together with my friends, I want to talk to them. Playing Dominion just means the four of us sitting in a circle while one rattles off what he's doing, then to the next person, and so forth. It's the driest of the dry. It's just not for me.

I found I had the same problem with a lot of card-drafting games. Lots of staring at your hand and not saying much. It's not that they're (all) bad, I just like more table talk than these games usually allow.

I love Dominion to death, have probably close to 15,000 games played, and will play it anytime, anywhere (except on MakingFun).

That said, I also like notoriously-badly-balanced deckbuilder Nightfall (and a lot of my playgroup does, as well) solely because it's the only deckbuilder we've found that strongly breaks the "it's not my turn, probably a good time to check my phone/grab a snack" feel. I'd love to see a decent deckbuilder come out that encourages off-turn interaction.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
re: Blood Rage chat

I've reached a point where I no longer buy every board games that catches my eye, but simply try to curate the best of each genre I enjoy. I have a few asymmetrical war games like Eclipse and City Of Remnants, and while Eclipse is staying, I think it's time to replace CoR, no matter how much Quinns assures me it is sexy.

Is Blood Rage considered the better of the two when compared to Chaos In The Old World? I've heard so much about CitOW for years, and always meant to pick it up, but if Blood Rage is a straight upgrade in terms of mechanics, and has a shorter play time, I might just skip Chais and go straight to Blood Rage.

On that topic, I also hear Cthulhu Wars is comparable, but is that simply thematic, or mechanically similar? Obviously CW is a flashier, more expensive game, but I wouldn't mind spending more if it's considered the top dog of the asymmetrical Ameritrash war games.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Selecta84 posted:

Has anyone tried the Marquis PnP game?

If yes, is it any good and how hard is it to assemble?

I've played the app version and enjoyed it. Would recommend that over putting it together yourself, if possible. If I had to estimate construction time, I'd say probably 30 minutes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Chaos of the Old World did not work for me because it's basically four player only. I just got Blood Rage and hopefully it'll be fine with 3 or 4. My most common player count is 3, so games that are good at that number are looked at harder.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Lorini, do you have Maria?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

LE: Alien already includes an optional traitor mechanic and rules for playing as an Alien if you're eliminated early.

Re: Cthulhu Wars - it is very easy to get overwhelmed by the bling and think there can't possibly be a good game behind it. You would be wrong. I am seriously considering grabbing the PBP files from BoardGameGeek and running a game here, if there would be interest.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Lorini posted:

Chaos of the Old World did not work for me because it's basically four player only. I just got Blood Rage and hopefully it'll be fine with 3 or 4. My most common player count is 3, so games that are good at that number are looked at harder.

You seem to be regarded as having good game opinions, so I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think once you've played it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

On that topic, I also hear Cthulhu Wars is comparable, but is that simply thematic, or mechanically similar? Obviously CW is a flashier, more expensive game, but I wouldn't mind spending more if it's considered the top dog of the asymmetrical Ameritrash war games.

Cthulhu Wars is sorta weird in that combat is not exactly a very productive thing to do. Like there's only a 1 in 6 chance of killing a unit, so it's more about disrupting economy (since it costs 1 to move each unit) than it is about eliminating pieces off the board. That being said, I find the design pretty interesting, although I can't say for sure whether it's better or worse. There are some aspects that are worse, like the random draw of Doom tokens that give you anywhere from 1-3 points each), but (with the expansions) it becomes a much more variable game, with more factions and supplemental options (independent Great Old Ones, for example), although balance is obviously still open to discussion. These all cost a poo poo ton of money, but the options are there, whereas most people will warn against using The Horned Rat in CITOW.

In the end, for pure economical reasons (i.e., cost), CITOW is the better option, but it might be worth a wait and see to see if major issues crop up in CW before making the sizeable investment. Figures do look super rad, though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

I am seriously considering grabbing the PBP files from BoardGameGeek and running a game here, if there would be interest.

I would be interested in this.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Patchistory and Kanban just came in the mail, and now my brain is leaking out of my ears after reading the instructions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

In the end, for pure economical reasons (i.e., cost), CITOW is the better option, but it might be worth a wait and see to see if major issues crop up in CW before making the sizeable investment. Figures do look super rad, though.

CW has had all its factions (except the Tcho-Tchos) tested in hundreds of games over the last three years and the balance is fine. It's the production that has taken the time - if it was just cardboard counters it'd have been out by last June.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/75828/thing

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

I would be interested in this.

Same, either playing or lurking.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Toshimo posted:

I love Dominion to death, have probably close to 15,000 games played, and will play it anytime, anywhere (except on MakingFun).

That said, I also like notoriously-badly-balanced deckbuilder Nightfall (and a lot of my playgroup does, as well) solely because it's the only deckbuilder we've found that strongly breaks the "it's not my turn, probably a good time to check my phone/grab a snack" feel. I'd love to see a decent deckbuilder come out that encourages off-turn interaction.

Eminent Domain?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Toshimo posted:

Or Puzzle Strike.

I also love Nightfall, but holy hell is it a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finally got to try Codenames last night. It lived up to the hype. Everyone loved it.