Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pixaal posted:

So it's a local account? Is it possible they backed up the SAM file (booting into another OS) and just bruteforced it at home?

All the PCs are locked down and on BitLocker so that's not it. We used to type the password to install programs in person for the few special snowflakes (usually sales engineers) and it wasn't particularly long so I guess I shouldn't be stunned someone actually did that.

These days all the new computers are joined to Azure AD, so what we do is just use a temp admin account in Azure AD where we can generate a new password each time we use it, but we're still rolling out the Windows 10 upgrade so it was people on Windows 8 who pulled that stunt.

Volmarias posted:

It's probably someone "working around" a real or perceived inefficiency rather than being actively malicious. Users will ignore policies to get their jobs done.

Tracking down the users who used that account without access means that you can address them directly and try to resolve the actual underlying issue before the exact same problem happens again.

Win10 solves the inefficiency because we can remote in, generate a temp admin password in Azure AD, give it to them to install what they need under IT supervision, and reset the password when they're done, but these individuals are too busy or use legacy stuff so they've been delaying their upgrades. I guess the new policy will be that those individuals don't get to defer upgrading anymore, and if they want to run legacy stuff I'll get them VDI licenses so they get a little virtual sandbox.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Just let it go. You're throwing extra work at extra work, there's no justification for it.

What part of "I want vengeance" wasn't clear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

The first time I got to use an iDRAC (this was last year) was a complete :aaaaa: moment for me.

I got all excited and checked a dell server I had sitting around but apparently we didn't pay for an enterprise version to get the virtual console. Otherwise I still havent ever used them that much except to check on power readings and temperature from time to time.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

I found it wildly ironic that he lives on a farm in George with no internet access.

Like George, WA? His name isn't John B. by any chance, is it?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Zakutambah posted:

We won't let a public office with a vested interest in quality of service to keep state wide infrastructure in working order, obviously some multinational can do that better... but dammit, government knows what is best for you when it comes to alcohol.

((I'm in Utah, I'm aware this is not a nation wide thing))

Well, Utah is literally the successor state of a teetotaler theocracy, so there's your first loving problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

stubblyhead posted:

Like George, WA? His name isn't John B. by any chance, is it?

No

Georgia, I didn't notice I miss typed

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I got all excited and checked a dell server I had sitting around but apparently we didn't pay for an enterprise version to get the virtual console. Otherwise I still havent ever used them that much except to check on power readings and temperature from time to time.

Me too. iDRAC express. Such a letdown. :(

I'm looking into investing in some KVM-over-IP switches and a few IP-enabled power bars. Now I want to go sneakerless (or remotely turn Christmas lights on and off :science:).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Me too. iDRAC express. Such a letdown. :(

I'm looking into investing in some KVM-over-IP switches and a few IP-enabled power bars. Now I want to go sneakerless (or remotely turn Christmas lights on and off :science:).

Supermicro supremacy: all the poo poo that HP and Dell charge extra for comes for free on Supermicro servers.

And with the money you save with SM you can afford to have a few extra lying around to make up for minimal on-site warranty coverage.

Real admins run prod on white boxes without a net.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

SupermicroSun supremacy: all the poo poo that HP and Dell charge extra for comes for free on SupermicroSun servers.

FTFY

Plus, they never fall down. I ran one with a failed CPU for 9 months before replacing it, with no real impact(other than it slowing down a bit). Sumbitches just work around most faults til you can fix them

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Renegret posted:

No

Georgia, I didn't notice I miss typed

I want to know who John B is now.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
I always find it kinda frustrating when I have customers that I work with where their company purchased an iDRAC Enterprise and aren't even using it. They don't even know what an iDRAC is sometimes.

It was kinda funny one time I had someone trying to setup VNC on the server to do remote management and I had tell him he had an iDRAC Enterprise.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lightning Jim posted:

I always find it kinda frustrating when I have customers that I work with where their company purchased an iDRAC Enterprise and aren't even using it. They don't even know what an iDRAC is sometimes.

It was kinda funny one time I had someone trying to setup VNC on the server to do remote management and I had tell him he had an iDRAC Enterprise.
This is us. Most of our servers have iDRAC in them, but they might not be plugged in, they're definitely not documented anywhere, and they're probably not even configured anyway.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

anthonypants posted:

This is us. Most of our servers have iDRAC in them, but they might not be plugged in, they're definitely not documented anywhere, and they're probably not even configured anyway.

You could still always use them through the OS - there's IPMI tools including Dell's RAC Admin tools (RACADM). As long as the iDRAC driver is installed and the service is up you can still do stuff with it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lightning Jim posted:

You could still always use them through the OS - there's IPMI tools including Dell's RAC Admin tools (RACADM). As long as the iDRAC driver is installed and the service is up you can still do stuff with it.
They're generally running ESXi.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Lightning Jim posted:

I mean what else is there to really do without the enterprise version? Like I said occasionally I'll pop over just to see the power/thermal settings but thats been about it. Are there like useful logs or something too that you can look at?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Of particularly great use has been iDRAC's recording of the most recent boot, which has been helpful in troubleshooting dead hypervisors in the past.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I mean what else is there to really do without the enterprise version? Like I said occasionally I'll pop over just to see the power/thermal settings but thats been about it. Are there like useful logs or something too that you can look at?

Yeah. With at least the iDRAC7, there's Lifecycle Logs, that includes a lot more detail than just the hardware logs. You can see firmware update information, controller information.
There's boot capture so you can see the last 3 boots as there are some errors that just don't get into the SEL like memory misconfig I've dealt with recently.
Firmware updates can be done through the Web Interface (still requires a reboot for firmware that's not the iDRAC/Lifecycle Controller)
There's the vCard storage for OS ISOs and other needed access storage (SD card into the iDRAC ports card) so you can do Virtual Console mounts much easier. You can also do network share mounts for Virtual Media as well.
You can setup alerts, and iDRACs do have SNMP traps you can monitor for hardware.
Also with iDRAC7 and 8 you can not only monitor RAID conditions, on the iDRAC8 and with firmware updates on the iDRAC 7 you can even configure RAID arrays from it.
There's quite a bit I'm likely not even remembering, so could also take a look through the user guide and see.

And the most important one I can think of as of late is the Tech Support Report, which allows you to basically pull something like a DSET without having to go into the OS.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Our entire web infrastructure just died. Tickets can still come in through email, but our web interface is dead so we have to read/manipulate tickets through an ssh terminal interface that hasn't been updated since 1999.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Maniaman posted:

Our entire web infrastructure just died. Tickets can still come in through email, but our web interface is dead so we have to read/manipulate tickets through an ssh terminal interface that hasn't been updated since 1999.

Year of the linux desktop???

:frogon:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Agrikk posted:

Supermicro supremacy: all the poo poo that HP and Dell charge extra for comes for free on Supermicro servers.

And with the money you save with SM you can afford to have a few extra lying around to make up for minimal on-site warranty coverage.

Most of the servers we sell that aren't OEM from a certain vendor are Supermicro. Shove em full of 4TB drives in em and put Open-E on them and you have a NAS in a box.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

How does this stack up to FreeNAS?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How does this stack up to FreeNAS?

I've never used FreeNAS (though I've been meaning to build my own NAS at home) so I can't really say. Open-E is pretty solid for video editing on the cheap if you have it running NFS and give it a 10GbE connection to the network, we have a few clients running on it with no issue.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Virigoth posted:

I want to know who John B is now.

man who lives in George who helped invent the internet, apparently.

Wow, look how fast I can post. The butt is a wonderful thing, thanks lowtax

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pr0digal posted:

I've never used FreeNAS (though I've been meaning to build my own NAS at home) so I can't really say. Open-E is pretty solid for video editing on the cheap if you have it running NFS and give it a 10GbE connection to the network, we have a few clients running on it with no issue.

That's pretty impressive.
You definitely need to check out FreeNAS for home use. I tried Amahi and it was alright if you only have JBOD (greyhole) but I prefer FreeNAS for a dedicated appliance.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's pretty impressive.
You definitely need to check out FreeNAS for home use. I tried Amahi and it was alright if you only have JBOD (greyhole) but I prefer FreeNAS for a dedicated appliance.

Yeah it works for a lot of our smaller clients with only two or three edits and nothing super complicated. A couple of them do direct 10GbE connections to the Supermicro box, I know one has a quad bonded (so 40GbE) connection to his backup server.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Friend of mine, got a ticket yesterday.

Customer got a replacement Power Supply since theirs died.
Did they package up the fried one and send it back? Nope, he sent back THE ENTIRE SERVER

Now he's calling in 3 weeks later cause his server hasn't been returned yet.
:psyduck:

(EDIT) I'm wondering why the Fed Ex guy is lugging back this 80+ pound server whose return label states "5 pounds"

Malek fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 4, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Anyone with Quickbooks experience? Is it normal for a backup file to be 30+GB? My client wants to make a daily backup and then keep every backup forever stored both locally and in the butt. The backups are increasing in size exponentially and his storage costs are gonna get out of hand real quick.

I either need to figure out how to make the files smaller or convince him to adopt a more feasible backup strategy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

larchesdanrew posted:

Anyone with Quickbooks experience? Is it normal for a backup file to be 30+GB? My client wants to make a daily backup and then keep every backup forever stored both locally and in the butt. The backups are increasing in size exponentially and his storage costs are gonna get out of hand real quick.

I either need to figure out how to make the files smaller or convince him to adopt a more feasible backup strategy.

Close out previous years. When they're closed out you can back them up independently and keep those backups static, and then your active backup will contain the current year only. This also increases performance of quickbooks because the file is a lot smaller.

At least this is what I read once and proposed to a client with a huge QB file, never actually did it because they were too afraid of splitting the file.

EDIT comedy option recommend they buy 10 buffalo NAS units to house backups

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 4, 2015

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

30 GB quickbook backup? Larches... something is really wrong there.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Close out previous years. When they're closed out you can back them up independently and keep those backups static, and then your active backup will contain the current year only. This also increases performance of quickbooks because the file is a lot smaller.

At least this is what I read once and proposed to a client with a huge QB file, never actually did it because they were too afraid of splitting the file.

I thought about this, but it's the same story. He probably won't want to split it. I'll throw it by him as it may be his only option.

My other plan was to have him do daily backups, then clean out every backup but the most recent from the previous month. At least that drops them to 12 files a year rather than 365.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Larch, you know this.

Buy an external Buffalo NAS for each backup, they are so cheap you'd be negligent NOT to do it!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I'll never escape my legacy.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I would just like to congratulate the thread on lasting 10 whole minutes without suggesting buying Buffalo drives.

edit: DAMMIT

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

larchesdanrew posted:

I thought about this, but it's the same story. He probably won't want to split it. I'll throw it by him as it may be his only option.

My other plan was to have him do daily backups, then clean out every backup but the most recent from the previous month. At least that drops them to 12 files a year rather than 365.

Does zipping it reduce the size at all? I've seen a ton of programs just basically throw a backup into a tar with no compression. They tend to compress real nice. I'm not familiar with quickbooks backups. But that has reduced some backups a ton for me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Also switch him to the web version of QB and upload the old company files to it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Also switch him to the web version of QB and upload the old company files to it.

They limit the backup file size to 6gb online, I think. Last I checked was last year though. It may have changed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How in the hell did somebody create a 30GB QB file?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Agrikk posted:

Dude, supermicro's IPMI is terrible, like completely awful.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

How in the hell did somebody create a 30GB QB file?

10 years of records, all open, with integrated invoice scans.

Had a 15 employee company get to 5 gigs in 2 1/2 years so it's entirely possible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Malek posted:

Friend of mine, got a ticket yesterday.

Customer got a replacement Power Supply since theirs died.
Did they package up the fried one and send it back? Nope, he sent back THE ENTIRE SERVER

Now he's calling in 3 weeks later cause his server hasn't been returned yet.
:psyduck:

(EDIT) I'm wondering why the Fed Ex guy is lugging back this 80+ pound server whose return label states "5 pounds"

RIP that server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

spankmeister posted:

Dude, supermicro's IPMI is terrible, like completely awful.

No it isn't, I got one to work once.

With a very specific version of Java 6.

After updating the IPMI firmware to a version I found hidden on a supermicro FTP support site.

Only on Tuesdays after 3 PM though. Sucks when the server's down other times.

(As much as I generally prefer Dell over HP, I have to say that the HP iLO .NET launcher is the greatest loving thing because unlike Supermicro and iDRAC you don't need to gently caress around with ActiveX, Java, trusted sites, and any of the other bullshit. Windows machines generally have .NET installed, so click, run app, oh look you've got access. Trying to make a DRAC 6, or even worse, DRAC 5, console and virtual media work on a modern OS is teeth-grindingly painful).

Also anyone who doesn't have a DRAC Enterprise equivalent in their server is literally a moron, I'm sorry but the $300 cost of that or whatever the equivalent iLO license is is a rounding error versus "poo poo I have to drive to the datacenter/office at 11 PM because I done hosed up" and I learned that the very first time I encountered a server that I thought had a DRAC but didn't. It's peace of mind and it's the second thing on my priority list for servers after redundant power.

• Locked thread