Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

ChaosArgate posted:

That's how you learn how to fly, according to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :v:

Technically, I think you slip on the banana peel in an environment with gravity, you just miss the ground because you're such an irreconcilable fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 5 - Left Is The One With The Burn Scars

We recorded this two weeks after I burned my hand, its been over a month since I did that and I still don't have any feeling in my fingertips. I hosed up, guys.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Even now, Fae keeps walking directly into fire.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Wow, I never noticed that each captain has a different remix of the overworld theme.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

By the way, there isn't actually a 30 day time limit in this game. As the email from the boss said, they have nothing left to repossess, so you can take as long as you want. This game is easy. Also, the fire spouts can be destroyed by non-red pikmin if you time it right and just hit it when the fire isn't shooting. This has actually saved me from my own dumbassery (losing all my reds) multiple times.

And I'm not sure having 33 of each color pikmin in the first game did anything, but having 20 of each of 5 colors in this game totally does do something. :3:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah each captain has their own variant of the overworld themes. Olimar's is played straight while Louie's is played more drunkenly.

Fae please stop walking into fire we've been over how this is a bad idea. (I could have sworn this was a forums smiley but apparently not.)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

but its so pretty I just can't resist :downs:

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

I'm surprised it took us this long to discover that Fae is actually part moth.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Random notes

Fae don't walk into fire spouts IRL. (Get well soon)
You really don't have to get your entire team together to switch floors.
And finally, you are learning that purples are weapons of genocide. :black101:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Faerie Fortune posted:

but its so pretty I just can't resist :downs:

Then Pikmin 3 will just be full episodes of you walking into fire like a moth into a lightbulb.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Ometeotl posted:

Then Pikmin 3 will just be full episodes of you walking into fire like a moth into a lightbulb.
But that's like half the charm of watching her play.

Missing all the things that we see when we're not playing, but miss when we are. It' like actually being in the driver's seat and the passenger seat at the same time!

Seriously, seeing all the times she gets lost going in a straight line and walks into the level hazards makes me so happy because I get video evidence that it isn't just me who does that :downs:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
With the less restrictive time systems of Pikmin 2, you're allowed to blunder around for weeks learning and perfecting your techniques. The only downside is occasionally having to pop down into a cave to refresh stocks of purple pikmin, and even that's not too onerous. While the guided tour probably is the best way to minimize frustration in Pikmin 1, it's less of an issue in 2, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of content of gameplay naturale for a while as long as Faerie Fortune is happy to continue with it.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I would seriously be happy playing this game forever, I love it so goddamn much and every part of this entire LP is a joy to do. But we gotta move on to Pikmin 3 sometime so I can't actually play it forever. Let's make some progress towards our goal with...

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 6 - Egg-Based Treats

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
That was a very nice place you cut the video at the end.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

I still don't understand how every single Pikmin doesn't die.

You're not the only one

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I just realized something. Unless Olimar takes the purple pikmin home with him, they're all going to die when he leaves because they can't get in a hive an onion at night.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 29, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well, assuming the good ending to pikmin 1 is canon, when olimar last left them they had turned into apex predators that devoured the big nocturnal threats in an angry swarm,

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
I was thinking about that last night, and I assume the long-term solution would involve tossing them in candypop buds for other colors to go in onions.

Alternatively, they all hang on the legs of another color onion all night long.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Fae posted:

I still don't understand how every single Pikmin doesn't die.

Despite your best efforts.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I only just started watching the first Pikmin LP but its such a tranquil experience, thank you for making this. It's perfect for a break with some coffee and cookies. I'm happy.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
Regarding the geysers: It's not like pikmin immediately disintegrate on contact with water like they're yoshis or something. They have to actually be underwater long enough to drown. The amount of time the geyser cutscene lasts for is a lot less than the amount of time it takes a pikmin to drown, so Olimar just whistles at them afterward and they're fine.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So Olimar basically waterboards them. En masse.

Such a lovely game.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's the difference between dropping someone that can't swim into a pool, or sending them down a waterslide. The geyser is pushing with enough force to keep the pikmin on top, so they can still breathe. Pools of water don't do that, so instead the pikmin sink under the surface, panic, and drown.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

It's the difference between dropping someone that can't swim into a pool, or sending them down a waterslide.

Is there a pool at the end of the waterslide?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

Hmm.

Captain Bravo posted:

It's the difference between dropping someone that can't swim into a pool, or sending them down a waterslide slip'n'slide. The geyser is pushing with enough force to keep the pikmin on top, so they can still breathe. Pools of water don't do that, so instead the pikmin sink under the surface, panic, and drown.

There we go.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BattleCattle posted:

Nope, it's full of bees.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 7 - Let's Nap

Also for those of you who just can't get enough of me discovering videogames for the first time, my buddy FPzero is kindly taking me on a guided tour of Tallon IV in his LP of Metroid Prime! Check it out maybe?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
You don't have to bring all your Pikmin to the exit.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

White pikmin are really fun and unique. They're not very good in battle though which means that they actually have a low risk of dying if you keep them separated from your main force. Of course, if you want to go the chemical weapons approach with them, then the numbers might rise....

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
I never got to play the Pikmin games, so seeing you play is super interesting. Though in the last few videos, you seem to be enjoying yourself so much that I'm wishing I could join in somehow. Not the time to be spending money on video games, even if I knew where my old Gamecube went to.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I've just caught up and it's almost frustrating how much this game shits on Olimar. First the president sells his ship and sends him off without a chance to see the family he missed so much in Pikmin 1, all due to his own incompetence, and now the ship is harassing the mute dude for not endlessly tutorialising at Louie, sometimes about things he didn't even know. :(

I didn't play very much at all of Pikmin 1 because I am just horrible at RTS games and I can't work fast enough for the time limit (especially without a Gnome to keep me on track), but if 2 is more lenient I might just have to give it a shot.

E: Also you said at the end of the OoT thread that Majora's Mask was starting in October. Is that on hold because of this? (absolutely no problem, this is charming as hell, just I haven't seen any mention of it)

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 4, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The second game is MUCH more lenient; in practice there's no time limit. The difficulty instead mostly comes from the caves, where you're limited in what Pikmin you can take with you at one go. Some later caves are VERY tough to fully clear, but you have all the time in the world to practice and improve, and if worst comes to worst you can actually clear many of the later caves piecemeal.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AlphaKretin posted:

I've just caught up and it's almost frustrating how much this game shits on Olimar. First the president sells his ship and sends him off without a chance to see the family he missed so much in Pikmin 1, all due to his own incompetence, and now the ship is harassing the mute dude for not endlessly tutorialising at Louie, sometimes about things he didn't even know. :(

I didn't play very much at all of Pikmin 1 because I am just horrible at RTS games and I can't work fast enough for the time limit (especially without a Gnome to keep me on track), but if 2 is more lenient I might just have to give it a shot.

E: Also you said at the end of the OoT thread that Majora's Mask was starting in October. Is that on hold because of this? (absolutely no problem, this is charming as hell, just I haven't seen any mention of it)

It's on hold til Fae gets her hands on a capture device because Majora's Mask doesn't exactly play nice with N64 emulators.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

ChaosArgate posted:

It's on hold til Fae gets her hands on a capture device because Majora's Mask doesn't exactly play nice with N64 emulators.

I remember trying it and the screen getting smaller and smaller with each bell chime. Or just going all black.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember trying it and the screen getting smaller and smaller with each bell chime. Or just going all black.

The screen getting smaller when the bell chimes is how it's supposed to be, but going black is definitely wrong.

On topic, I just got caught up and I'm so glad you're onto Pikmin 2 now! It's such a great game and I have a lot of love for it because it even helped expand my vocabulary, what with all of Olimar's notes and some other stuff we'll get to see later. Awakening Wood is my favorite area, it has the best music of all the maps and it's just so pretty.

And maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems like the Pikmin sprouts pop up much faster than in Pikmin 1, so you don't have to wait so long before plucking them. Also about the soundtrack, as you've already noticed it changes when near an enemy, when fighting an enemy, at dusk and also when near or fighting an enemy at dusk. There's also variations for when Olimar/Louie are hurt, when carrying treasure and a few other things I believe.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

You know how the screen gets smaller with every bell chime?

When I emulated it, totally legally, what was meant to be black space instead looked like MissingNo partied waaaay too hard, and delivered the consequences upon my screen. It was awful. It looked like an expelled assortment of pixelated cabbage, licorice schnapps, and way too many oysters.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
That's odd, I remember beating Majora's Mask for the first time on Project64. I wonder how much it was changed by the emulator, it's not like I had a comparison to the real thing. I don't recall anything gamebreaking, at least not until I discovered the cheats. (Of course, trying to make an emulator work nice with the game and a capturing program at the same time is probably an entirely different beast.)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Sorry for no update this weekend guys, let me show you a picture.

See that red area? That's where storm Desmond is hitting the hardest, with lovely light breezes of 75mph. That's also where I live!

I'm safe for now, I'm in a part of town that's relatively shielded from the worst of the floods and we still have heat, power and water so it could be worse! But I don't know how long I'll have these things for until the storm passes so right now preparing for that worst-case scenario is my first priority!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ah hurricanes. How I miss them. Good times.

Stay safe Fae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
That sucks a lot. Take care!

• Locked thread