Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

headshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Plant
Jun 16, 2003

NOBODY DOES GAY LIKE THE COMMONWEALTH OF PA

https://twitter.com/msdev/status/666342077387530240

this came up as a promoted thing on my twitter feed, why ms.

Mustard Plant fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 4, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Granite Octopus posted:

ugh even as an acronym UWA is awkward as gently caress to say

how come I can't find any posters with an OUYA gang tag anymore

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Mustard Plant posted:

and you aggregated their marketing campaign to yospos. owned MS

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Amethyst posted:

and you aggregated their marketing campaign to yospos. owned MS

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

reminder that 2015 GOTY Contradiction: Spot the Liar! (available now on Steam for $9.99) is a chrome/v8/node.js project that predates this idiocy by four months

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

that's some p sick brand engagement

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pseudorandom name posted:

reminder that 2015 GOTY Contradiction: Spot the Liar! (available now on Steam for $9.99) is a chrome/v8/node.js project that predates this idiocy by four months

where does the tomato juice come in? :confused:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cremnob posted:

yea but he could have easily been a passive shareholder

no way, he knows all the bullshit tricks microsoft CEOs use to make their money-losers look good and now that his financial interests are aligned with calling them out, he's gunna go monkeyman on satya's rear end

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the slurface book got a firmware update which breaks multimonitor support. the update is not reversible. lol

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

so Apple's watch likely sold more watches in one quarter than every model of Surface made so far

holy poo poo

source ?

graph posted:

the slurface book got a firmware update which breaks multimonitor support. the update is not reversible. lol

holy poo poo x2

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
a few months ago i got Office for Mac for cheap through one of those employer program things, thinking it'd be nice not to load up the VM just to do an occasional edit to some word doc once in a blue moon. yesterday i had a reason to open a word doc and it basically reminded me of That Day 10 Years Ago When I Thought I'd Give This OpenOffice Thing A Shot:

- Word opens, immediately wanted to download 1.5 GB of updates for Office programs. in a rush to open file, so i cancelled that.
- docx file opens. only the first page is displayed properly. second page is blank and the rest were just missing
- close Word and reopened to try again. now Word wants me to sign into OneDrive before letting me choose a local file to open
- cancel out OneDrive signin (I forgot the login I made up when it bugged me about that poo poo before), select local file to open. OneDrive login prompt suddenly reappears and Word beachballs forever. have to force quit.
- initiate password reset to get my OneDrive login, reset password, log into OneDrive, and load local file. now it displays correctly.
- figure I might as well get those updates now but I can't find any option in Word to recheck for them, dunno if I'm retarded or what it just doesn't seem to be anywhere in preferences or any menu choices in the menubar or anything in the ribbon idk, gently caress this poo poo
- open Powerpoint instead, it auto-checks for updates for all office products and downloads them
- Word updates go through. updates for Powerpoint fail to install with generic error message, have to redownload and retry
- only now on the second time around it tells me it needs me to close Powerpoint to install its update. I do, and it seems to work finally

:nexus:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
sounds like pretty typical MS experience

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you left out the part where the updater needs to be updated

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

- figure I might as well get those updates now but I can't find any option in Word to recheck for them, dunno if I'm retarded or what it just doesn't seem to be anywhere in preferences or any menu choices in the menubar or anything in the ribbon idk, gently caress this poo poo

in office for mac, it's in the "Help" option on the top bar

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

computer parts posted:

i love it because it goes against just about every other program on the operating system

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

computer parts posted:

ugh thx

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

how is your windows 10 phone shagger

its pretty good.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

carry on then posted:

i love it because it goes against just about every other program on the operating system

I seem to remember it being kinda standard 10-15 years ago but yeah nothing does that these days

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mustard Plant posted:

it's not even an emulation. lame.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Perplx posted:

you left out the part where the updater needs to be updated

and where it installs updates and then immediately checks for updates again

and then it gives you a modal dialog where it says "no updates available" and you have to click OK

i guess in case a new update was released in the time it took to install the current update?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

graph posted:

a rare instance of ms following apple's lead

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
going from thunderbird to outlook is really frutrating

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
i'm trying out mailbird right now but it's missing a few features.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:rip: dana plato

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

graph posted:

Oh God, someone thought it was a good idea to give HR staff Surface Pros recently. It's been a loving disaster and if they start installing this update...

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
wouldn't be surprised if it was just the dual gpu surfacebook becuase it's already a loving disaster

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FMguru posted:

:rip: dana plato

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

You Am I posted:

Oh God, someone thought it was a good idea to give HR staff Surface Pros recently. It's been a loving disaster and if they start installing this update...

the fix is to reboot, then plug in the monitors back in randomly until it works. if a sequence doesnt work you have to reboot and try again

just, lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
oh, that sounds pretty standard for windows and peripherals tbh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

all these oems make poo poo-tier hardware, I guess we'll have to show them how it's done!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

graph posted:

the fix is to reboot, then plug in the monitors back in randomly until it works. if a sequence doesnt work you have to reboot and try again

just, lol

*Windows hardware connect/disconnect sounds play endlessly in the HR area*

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

You Am I posted:

*Windows hardware connect/disconnect sounds play endlessly in the HR area*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

its pretty good.

lol

you're the best

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a big interview I'm going to mine for quotes but right away I notice that J allard is in full on "cool dad who wants to tell you about his favorite IPA" mode now

e: nothing especially interesting just a lot of "we did a great job"

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 5, 2015

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fellow kids

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

qirex posted:

there's a big interview I'm going to mine for quotes but right away I notice that J allard is in full on "cool dad who wants to tell you about his favorite IPA" mode now

e: nothing especially interesting just a lot of "we did a great job"

Nooo j Allard you were cool

Now you're a dad.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

graph posted:

fellow kids

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theultimo posted:

Nooo j Allard you were cool

Now you're a dad.

img-jallard-before-makeover.jpg

edit:

Adbot