Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
What should I drink at the local cellarmaker tap takeover tonight? Only had a coffee Porter from them which was awesome. Options are

Contains nuts w hazelnuts
Bad teeth pale
Moonage daydream pale
Maximum joy ipa

I'm leaning towards the nuts and the ipa, will probably only have time for 2. Anything special about the pales or bad about the other 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

zonacat posted:

What should I drink at the local cellarmaker tap takeover tonight? Only had a coffee Porter from them which was awesome. Options are

Contains nuts w hazelnuts
Bad teeth pale
Moonage daydream pale
Maximum joy ipa

I'm leaning towards the nuts and the ipa, will probably only have time for 2. Anything special about the pales or bad about the other 2?

Moonage Daydream(David Bowie owns) and Maximum Joy is what I'd get, but I tend to gravitate towards hops. Their IPAs and regular pales are really, really good.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Awesome thanks. I tried the contains nuts in a taster and it was not special. Went for the pint of daydream and it's a really good pale.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
The maximum joy however has an odd sweetness to it. More like some strong blonde ales I have had than a regular ipa. Maybe because I had the pale first.

It's not bad, just not what I expected from an ipa. The pale was much more hop forward

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

zonacat posted:

The maximum joy however has an odd sweetness to it. More like some strong blonde ales I have had than a regular ipa. Maybe because I had the pale first.

It's not bad, just not what I expected from an ipa. The pale was much more hop forward

i thought it was pretty hop forward, but it does have some unique hops like motueka and rakau; it was pretty rakau forward for me, despite having a ton of other hops in it.

i'm pretty sure most of their ipas have oats in them, but that seems to change the mouthfeel more than overall sweetness in my experience

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Any Chicagoons know a spot where I can still snag a couple bottles of BCBS without awful gouging? I'm willing to pay a few dollars over MSRP but not like $18.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

danbanana posted:

Any Chicagoons know a spot where I can still snag a couple bottles of BCBS without awful gouging? I'm willing to pay a few dollars over MSRP but not like $18.
Bottles and Cans is doing a lottery for theirs on Sunday which is what I was going to try for since I had to work Friday.

link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=337792199677778&id=155342541256079

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I am ready for december:

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

After the last few local releases I've gone to, and seeing Kane announce their ANTEAD release next weekend.... I just laugh... and laugh... and laugh at the shitshow that will be.

If I had off work, i would be at said shitshow however.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

dominator posted:

Bottles and Cans is doing a lottery for theirs on Sunday which is what I was going to try for since I had to work Friday.

link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=337792199677778&id=155342541256079

Ehhh... Lottery. Thanks though.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

Ehhh... Lottery. Thanks though.

What's your max price? I'm going to check some potentially late arrivals this week and can probably pick some up for you if they received any.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

What's your max price? I'm going to check some potentially late arrivals this week and can probably pick some up for you if they received any.

$13? Looking for 2-4 more. Thanks!

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Anybody try Backwoods Bastard this year? Got some waiting for me in my fridge :getin:

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

TenaciousTomato posted:

Anybody try Backwoods Bastard this year? Got some waiting for me in my fridge :getin:

It's decent. I remember last year's having a bit more vanilla though.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Killed a couple four packs already, I should probably get more... I love that beer so drat much.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

danbanana posted:

Willing to go to the suburbs? Prestige liquors had some.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

trauma llama posted:

Willing to go to the suburbs? Prestige liquors had some.

I saw them on Beermenus... It's a little out of the way for me, even with my job in Addison.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Can we please pop the bubble, already?

http://www.mmmhops.com/

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Phanatic posted:

Can we please pop the bubble, already?

http://www.mmmhops.com/

You're like 3 years late on that, they're probably out of business by now

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Michigan is getting Cantillon and Drie Fontenien again :dance:. Managed to win a bottle of Fou Foune at a local bottle shop's lottery and 3F Geueze is at a few shops.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Michigan is getting Cantillon and Drie Fontenien again :dance:. Managed to win a bottle of Fou Foune at a local bottle shop's lottery and 3F Geueze is at a few shops.

:neckbeard: Source on this?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

:neckbeard: Source on this?

The new Plum Market in northern Ann Arbor has Drie Fontenien on the shelf right now.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Did an impromptu trip over to Hood River beginning yesterday. It's a funny time to be here, it still being the shoulder season; the entire town was deserted on a Thursday and I had the entirety of the Logsdon barrel room/tap house to myself. The Full Sail taproom was also nothing but employees enjoying their shifties and eating happy-hour junk; great fun.

The new Logsdon location is quite nice indeed; they have about 12 things on tap, covering pretty much everything they produce regularly plus a few exclusives, including a light wild-fermentation ale and a brand-new quadruple that really hits well with the malty notes. I spoke with the manager there for a long time, there being nobody else there; she used to manage at Saraveza in Portland before moving to HR to run this taproom. They didn't bother having the kitchen open yesterday, but the menu was packed with brasserie-type stuff and I will try to have dinner there tonight too.

So now in HR there's a little corner that has two breweries, one brewery taproom, one 30-tap beer/growler fill joint, several wine tasting rooms, and several dive bars with mostly local taps. It's more dense than Bend at this point I think.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

Hahaha. My last chance spot had four cases on the floor for $17 a loving bottle. gently caress those people.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Hahaha. My last chance spot had four cases on the floor for $17 a loving bottle. gently caress those people.

The funny thing is that in 6 months I'll be like "Should have had Compusaurus pick those $17 bottles up for me..."

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If anyone in Philly is looking for Pliney the Elder there is a new bar called Clarkville opening today. It's located at 43rd and Baltimore in West Philly and they are doing 64oz growlers of Pliny. Starts at 5.

If I get out of work early enough I'm debating about heading down and grabbing one. Going to crack some Heady Topper and Bourbon County tonight so this might be a nice addition to it as well.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

danbanana posted:

The funny thing is that in 6 months I'll be like "Should have had Compusaurus pick those $17 bottles up for me..."

Yea I might regret it too but I have a feeling it'll sit there over the weekend. Same place had a case of KBS priced at $36/4pk last a whole week.

But then again, I remember that binnys south loop always has bcbs on and sitting at local option now, they also have it on.

I'm drinking a Hawaiian speedway and despite being a little congested, goddamn is it good. I never had Vietnamesse speedway sadly but if it's anything like this....

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Lyon posted:

If anyone in Philly is looking for Pliney the Elder there is a new bar called Clarkville opening today. It's located at 43rd and Baltimore in West Philly and they are doing 64oz growlers of Pliny. Starts at 5.

If I get out of work early enough I'm debating about heading down and grabbing one. Going to crack some Heady Topper and Bourbon County tonight so this might be a nice addition to it as well.

Just go to Monk's almost every day ever if you want Pliny

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah this was growlers though that's all, figured I'd throw it out there if anyone was interested.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Got to try the last of the Catador club version 2 beers last night due to a cool dude who opened one at the taproom. The Error Establishing Database Connection is a really nice barley wine aged in cognac barrels. I'm guessing it will be better in 6 months, but right now it has more of a raisin/port after taste than a cognac one.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I had some brandy BA Blot Out the Sun at Floyds yesterday and it was good cold but had some weird flavors come out as it warmed up. The brandy barrel stuff I've had from Jester King all had such a weird and unpleasant flavor too.

What I'm tryna say is gently caress brandy barrels.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LeafHouse posted:

I had some brandy BA Blot Out the Sun at Floyds yesterday and it was good cold but had some weird flavors come out as it warmed up. The brandy barrel stuff I've had from Jester King all had such a weird and unpleasant flavor too.

What I'm tryna say is gently caress brandy barrels.

I feel the same about tequila barreled anything. Just never tastes right.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Apache posted:

Got to try the last of the Catador club version 2 beers last night due to a cool dude who opened one at the taproom. The Error Establishing Database Connection is a really nice barley wine aged in cognac barrels. I'm guessing it will be better in 6 months, but right now it has more of a raisin/port after taste than a cognac one.

Did you have Lorem Ipsum? Is it the same beer? Them making two cognac barrel barleywines around the same time is odd.

EDIT: Lorem Ipsum was Brandy, nevermind

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Found some Sculpin at a BC Liquor today. I have no idea how old it is, but I had to snag a bottle, since I've never seen it in BC before.

I also paid another visit to Twin Sails and Yellow Dog last week. There was something "off" about all the beers I tried from Twin Sails this time, and there was also a partial power outage in the tasting room, so they're clearly still working out the kinks. I probably won't go back there until they release their new batches later this month.

Yellow Dog is definitely the best of the Port Moody craft breweries. They're canning a really nice Coconut Porter right now, and their Pale Ale and Smoked Porter are also excellent.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I just had the new Peche 'n Brett paired with a steak-frites dinner made by Mrs. Logsdon!

(She is Flemish, which I suppose comes as no surprise)

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I just had the new Peche 'n Brett paired with a steak-frites dinner made by Mrs. Logsdon!

What do you think of the P 'n B this year?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Vertigo posted:

After the last few local releases I've gone to, and seeing Kane announce their ANTEAD release next weekend.... I just laugh... and laugh... and laugh at the shitshow that will be.

If I had off work, i would be at said shitshow however.

I almost wanted to go to this, but it seems ripe to be a pain in the rear end. Almost all the comments on the social media posts are around it being a cluster, or people sharing the picture announcing/asking for trades. Both send up the flare of "this will not be fun in any shape or form."

Maybe if they announce a ticket system I might be tempted, but man I am not doing a 4am line no matter how tasty it is.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Juaguocio posted:

Found some Sculpin at a BC Liquor today. I have no idea how old it is, but I had to snag a bottle, since I've never seen it in BC before.

There is usually a date printed in white, if not that it'll be something like 15 289 which means the 289th day of 2015. Sculpin holds up pretty well within ~3 months I'd say but obviously the fresher the better. If it's older than that It's still decent but probably degraded.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Very jealous. I'm having Maracaibo Especial and I'm coming to the realization that cacao is a real good adjunct, it adds an earthy bitterness you can't get from hops. This beer is crazy though, my tastebuds are goin nuts right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

SUPER HASSLER posted:

So I guess Dave and his wife are still pretty hands-on with the brewery, even after the sale?

Hood River was absolutely beautiful when I visited this past spring! I only had the chance to visit Double Mountain, and Pfriem, because Logsdon's tasting room still wasn't open. Pfriem is one of the breweries I had never heard of before visiting, and they make some absolutely killer stuff. OR really is one of the best beer states around, if not the best. Can't wait to make it back soon!

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 5, 2015