Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006

mcmagic posted:

OK, that is sweet.

2016 GP Promo

ty for making the mirror match even uglier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hyper genesis hasn't been putting up numbers at no ban modern. Must be too much of a known factor.

It's hands down the best goldfish deck I think.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Hyper genesis hasn't been putting up numbers at no ban modern. Must be too much of a known factor.

Does it just play out like a Modern Sneak & Show, AKA "ramp into spell that cheats a huge fuckoff creature into play"? Seems like it might be a little more difficult than that since you can't run any cheap ramp for fear of hitting it with Cascade.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Does it just play out like a Modern Sneak & Show, AKA "ramp into spell that cheats a huge fuckoff creature into play"? Seems like it might be a little more difficult than that since you can't run any cheap ramp for fear of hitting it with Cascade.

Spirit Guides plus Gemstone Caverns presumably.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Stoneforge Mystic is a pretty random choice for a promo to begin with. Snapcaster Mage as the GP promo makes like 10 times more sense than Stoneforge Mystic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Stoneforge Mystic is a pretty random choice for a promo to begin with. Snapcaster Mage as the GP promo makes like 10 times more sense than Stoneforge Mystic.

Next will be bad art Dark Confidant followed by bad art Goyf and finally bad art Abbot of Keral Keep.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

It's also banned in Modern, which makes it weirder.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Please let this mean what I hope it means in January

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm really doubtful that ole Misty Stone will be set loose on modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Legacy pro tour obv.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

They could ban Batterskull, it's not like that's a card anymore post KoCo

Come to think of it, equipment in general sucks in Modern right now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

batterskull and griselbrand ban in january? :haw:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yes it means they are banning Splinter Twin. There is no other possible outcome.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Why does the stoneforge mystic have a staff that looks like a petrified snake, and no actual forges in the art

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

Why does the stoneforge mystic have a staff that looks like a petrified snake, and no actual forges in the art

I do not miss Kabira. It is not my forge. My forge is Zendikar, its cliffs my anvils. Wherever I set my tongs and swing my hammer, I bring a bludgeon-wielding germ.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you ban Batterskull would SF see all that much play in Modern? I doubt it...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

I'm more afraid of SFM pulling a Jitte than batterskull in legacy.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Serperoth posted:

yeah sfm is relevant in what, legacy and.... cube?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chill la Chill posted:

Depends what deck you're playing obviously but that isn't Modern legal either...

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mcmagic posted:

I could easily see mystic fetching Cranial Platings.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Ehh that isn't all that broken if you ask me...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bugsy posted:

If Affinity wanted that they'd play the W sorcery that does that and not bother playing the extra mana for a 1/2 they can't do much with beyond interact with Battle Cry

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

The only decks I get Batterskull against are BUG. Every other deck I either get Jitte or SoFI.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bugsy posted:

I'll admit I'm not super familiar with Modern Affinity, but I feel like there are better things for it to do on turn 2 besides dropping a non-artifact, 1-power creature. Is Cranial Plating run in anything besides Affinity?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Affinity wanted that they'd play the W sorcery that does that and not bother playing the extra mana for a 1/2 they can't do much with beyond interact with Battle Cry

the power of sfm + plating would be dropping it into play and also equipping it at instant speed and also beating negate/only being open to being countered once rather than twice

idk if that would make it worth it, but it'd definitely be much better

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

UberJew posted:

the power of sfm + plating would be dropping it into play and also equipping it at instant speed and also beating negate/only being open to being countered once rather than twice

That would cost 1WBB and if Affinity's got that kind of coloured mana available then they either got lucky with colours or already lost.

Beating Negate is definitely a thing but it's not really a thing worth taking a turn off for as Affinity

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

What about the blazing shoal infect deck?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
There's two particular reasons why SFM isn't getting unbanned 1) SFM pretty much obliterates the entire design space for equipment being good ever again, 2) You have to simultaneously ban a non-problematic card.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
MCMAGIC:

i think painful truths is not good in legacy and am willing to do a bet wherein if by some agreed upon metric it proves to be a real card within 6 months (# of top 8 appearances, but i can't look up an event schedule atm) i will do one of these:

1) post with proper caps and punctuation in the magic thread forever
2) play a major legacy event (SCG open/GP at least) with painful truths (and what the heck narset) in my maindeck and post a trip report on these forums
3) a humorous forums punishment of the threads choosing

if you agree to this bet post and dear thread please provide us with stakes

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i will also take this bet with anyone else who feels strongly that painful truths is Good In Legacy and also side action on whether mcmagic will agree

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

There's two particular reasons why SFM isn't getting unbanned 1) SFM pretty much obliterates the entire design space for equipment being good ever again, 2) You have to simultaneously ban a non-problematic card.

Stoneforge is banned now and they already obliterated that space. At least that way I could play a sword in modern sometimes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

black potus posted:

MCMAGIC:

i think painful truths is not good in legacy and am willing to do a bet wherein if by some agreed upon metric it proves to be a real card within 6 months (# of top 8 appearances, but i can't look up an event schedule atm) i will do one of these:

1) post with proper caps and punctuation in the magic thread forever
2) play a major legacy event (SCG open/GP at least) with painful truths (and what the heck narset) in my maindeck and post a trip report on these forums

Sure. It's not going to be a 4 of but I would bet that it will show up in multiple decks in multiple top 8's.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Sure. It's not going to be a 4 of but I would bet that it will show up in multiple decks in multiple top 8's.

ok cool. thread help us set terms!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Awww poo poo we've got a bet

Now for the thread to pick the stakes for both parties

Personally I'm for gangsines posting with proper punctuation forever

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

McMagic, you need to put up some risks if you're taking that bet. Try not to pussy too hard out of this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stoneforge is banned now and they already obliterated that space. At least that way I could play a sword in modern sometimes.

Except you still have to ban Batterskull, which isn't actually a problematic card that sees some level of play. I guess you could ask the question of how broken Batterskull and SFM are at the same time. Part of me wants to say "not that broken" because modern's pretty biased in favor of "unfair combo poo poo."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Except you still have to ban Batterskull, which isn't actually a problematic card that sees some level of play. I guess you could ask the question of how broken Batterskull and SFM are at the same time. Part of me wants to say "not that broken" because modern's pretty biased in favor of "unfair combo poo poo."

Batterskull sees near 0 play now that the deck you bring it in for has an incredibly good main deck destruction tool for it

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

This seems like a good a reason as any for another legacy thunderdome.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

It would be like Deathrite, It's not broken per se but it would basically force every single fair deck in the format to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

I still think the loser should have their name changed to Painful Truths and have their picture changed to its art.

Angry Grimace posted:

Why? This is a format where for some reason a turn 2, 1 mana 4/5 Azure Mage is just fine. Given that, I don't see why a turn 3, 4 mana over 2 turns, 4/4 vigilance, lifelink creature that dies to Bolt, Clique, Thoughtseize, Duress, and artifact hate is really that big of a deal?

And it looks like they've already given up on printing halfway decent equipment. I don't think anything has been even close to playable since Sword of Feast and Famine. What's the best one we've gotten since then? Godsend? The one that gives +1/+1 fof each color the creature is?

• Locked thread