Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

MSNBC just broadcast the shooter's mother's SSN and drivers license number on live TV.

The FBI and sheriff's department maintain that it's still an active crime scene and nobody should be in there but CNN and MSNBC still think it's ok to tromp around and rifle through whatever wallets they can find.

What a poo poo show. Someone's head is gonna roll for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

Sorry cat and dog lovers, the bison is now the national mammal of the US.

Where did humans come in.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FCKGW posted:

I'd definitely buy the theory that he was planning something big and snapped at the party so decided to go for it there instead.

Shooting up a holiday Christmas party of your coworkers in one of the poorest and depressed counties of California makes no sense. Downtown LA is literally a 45 minute straight shot down the freeway. If you wanted to do some real terrorism you go shoot up LA Live or The Grove or any mall during Black Friday. There's even a major airport 20 minutes from where this took place.

My opinion is that something was being planned but that this attack was not what they were planning for.

This is exactly my thoughts. Nothing else seems to make much sense. He was almost surely planning something but this wasn't it

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I guess if you ignore the context of every other terrorist attack over the past few months, everything that ISIS has been saying or doing, the shooter's recent trip to the Middle East, the fact that he grew out his beard, the bomb factory in his house, the go pros, the fact that they deliberately wiped all digital devices the day before, that he's been in some kind of contact with known terror contacts, and that they declared themselves for ISIS, then sure, we really have no idea why.

Congrats, you're the liberal version of a climate change denier.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Luigi Thirty posted:

Originally the landlord did supposedly, despite the FBI saying no, you can't do that. Now the landlord said he didn't let them in, they just barged in.

CNN's reporters are furious, too.

Yeah, I saw NBC's Capitol Hill reporter tweet that the landlord let them in, though he's obviously not on the scene. Why wasn't there an officer there securing the scene? Just bizarre.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So at last, we've found a problem caused by a lack of ethics in journalism.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

euphronius posted:

Where did humans come in.

Bison are the original native americans :smugdog:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Considering that is still a child's home yeah it's really bad imo. Orphan now even.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Joementum posted:

Sorry cat and dog lovers, the bison is now the national mammal of the US.

A filthy trash-eating punk bird and a lumbering, majestic idiot we nearly drove to extinction by shooting them from moving vehicles. :patriot:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Fried Chicken posted:

That Bush invading Iraq would "send a message" to other powers and get them to abandon their WMD programs was one of the cited rationales for the war. When Libya did this in 2003 it was heralded as a success for this Bush doctrine, and you had commentators singing about how now that Iran had the US Army on its doorstep they would follow suit with their nuclear program.

Now obviously that didn't happen, but that invading Iraq would disarm Iran was a reason given by the chickenhawks at the time.

According to the UN report that just came out it may have played some part. It appears Iran did have an active research program attempting to develop a nuclear weapon and that program was mostly shut down by the end of 2003. Whether that was due to their hated enemy (Iraq) disappearing, fear of a US invasion, or purely internal politics is anyone's guess. Maybe some of all of those... if you're Iranian and against wasting money on a nuclear weapons program then having Iraq disappear and the US on your doorstep makes your arguments for "laying low" much stronger.

I also find it interesting that the vestiges of their nuclear program were terminated in 2009, after Obama's election.

What the report makes clear is that they did in fact have a real nuclear weapons research program, but apparently not one serious enough to attempt to build such a thing. My uneducated guess was they wanted to have a Japanese-like situation where they have all the knowledge, designs, and capability of building one in case it were needed but not actually build one.

theblackw0lf posted:

Tis the season of miracles.

Congress passes $305 billion infrastructure bill partly funded by taking money away from big banks

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Congress-Approves-Bill-Nations-Infrastructure-360545871.html

Wonder what made this happen?

It also re-authorizes the Import-Export Bank. So I'd say a combination of medium and large businesses applying pressure, states and construction companies jonesing for those sweet highway dollars, and the fact that the Tea Party loons are fine hating on banks.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
They just doxxed the suspect's mother.

Please tell me someone, anyone is going to be charged with tampering with evidence OR SOMETHING.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cool.

FourLeaf posted:

They just doxxed the suspect's mother.

Please tell me someone, anyone is going to be charged with tampering with evidence OR SOMETHING.

I'd like to see the reporters hit with B&E charges.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I guess if you ignore the context of every other terrorist attack over the past few months, everything that ISIS has been saying or doing, the shooter's recent trip to the Middle East, the fact that he grew out his beard, the bomb factory in his house, the go pros, the fact that they deliberately wiped all digital devices the day before, that he's been in some kind of contact with known terror contacts, and that they declared themselves for ISIS, then sure, we really have no idea why.

So are all workplace shootings terrorism or do you have to be muslim and declare allegiance to ISIS on an alternate facebook account and then delete it first?

I'm 100% willing to believe that they may have been planning something, but targeting the people you work with and no one else doesn't scream terrorism to me. Definitely not under the traditional definition. If they'd gone and shot up the nearby mall or done anything else besides go home and chill for a couple of hours I'd be saying something completely different.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Inside Edition paid $1000 according to MSNBC. Also random members of the public are sneaking in now. One of them literally stole a Popsicle from the freezer and left.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Inside Edition paid $1000 according to MSNBC. Also random members of the public are sneaking in now. One of them literally stole a Popsicle from the freezer and left.

No loving way.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is so hosed up.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ok, this is pretty clearly a problem with the local police not maintaining a crime scene at this point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

To whom? Some ethically challenged security guard?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thump! posted:

You're cousin might be a KKK member then. Who the hell likes a KKK page?

I posted it in thhe Crazy e-mail forwards thread a few weeks back.

On the surface it sounded like typical Tea Party nonsense.

Tea Party rhetoric notwithstanding.

Then again she's a nutbar so hell if I know.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

fknlo posted:

No loving way.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Ok, this is pretty clearly a problem with the local police not maintaining a crime scene at this point.

Why can't the police keep people out? They have arrest powers....

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Luigi Thirty posted:

Amazing.

They eat popsicles like us :911:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
How can all the authorities be this incompetent?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Orange. The most radical of popsicle flavors.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FourLeaf posted:

How can all the authorities be this incompetent?

Strangely, this isn't a problem with the houses of our Christian terrorists

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Can someone please clarify:

1) Is the suspect's home, which couldn't possibly not still be under active investigation, being contaminated by the presence of the public and press?

2) Have their been identified press who have entered the suspect's home (goons have mentioned CNN and Inside Edition)?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I believe they call this the horseshoe effect. In any case I agree, I consider myself a mainstream liberal Democrat and I am not afraid to say that this was very clearly an attack by islamic terrorists. I think it also hurts us as a party when our leaders aren't willing to say such. Like it or not these people, like those in Paris, were motivated by religion; and it doesn't help the U.S., or the world, to deny that.

fknlo posted:

So are all workplace shootings terrorism or do you have to be muslim and declare allegiance to ISIS on an alternate facebook account and then delete it first?

I'm 100% willing to believe that they may have been planning something, but targeting the people you work with and no one else doesn't scream terrorism to me. Definitely not under the traditional definition. If they'd gone and shot up the nearby mall or done anything else besides go home and chill for a couple of hours I'd be saying something completely different.

I think they really thought they would get away. They probably intended to get the GoPro video back to their Daesh contact for use in propaganda.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 4, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

This man is an American hero.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I can't even imagine what it's like to be that mother right now. Her son goes crazy and then she gets doxxed on live tv. Holy gently caress that is horrible.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Joementum posted:

Orange. The most radical of popsicle flavors.

Is it cream filled?

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Strangely, this isn't a problem with the houses of our Christian terrorists

But that's the thing, you think they'd be more careful with a SCARY ISLAMIC TERRORIST than a kinda sorta maybe we-just-don't-know-his-motives Christian terrorist

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At least On The Media will be good this week :smith:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mulva posted:

I believe they call this the horseshoe effect. In any case I agree, I consider myself a mainstream liberal Democrat and I am not afraid to say that this was very clearly an attack by islamic terrorists. I think it also hurts us as a party when our leaders aren't willing to say such. Like it or not these people, like those in Paris, were motivated by religion; and it doesn't help the U.S., or the world, to deny that.

Hillary's pivot makes complete sense now in light of these events, Obama is a bad taste now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

1) Is the suspect's home, which couldn't possibly not still be under active investigation, being contaminated by the presence of the public and press?

2) Have their been identified press who have entered the suspect's home (goons have mentioned CNN and Inside Edition)?

Yes and yes. On live TV in fact.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yes and yes. On live TV in fact.
Luigi Thirty beat me to it, but yuuup

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
It would be extremely funny if a booby trap leveled the house on live TV.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Mulva posted:

Yeah, once it came out about the whole online pledge to ISIS thing, I feel safe calling it a terrorist attack. Now, still a rather odd terrorist attack, mind you. Or maybe not so odd; if you want to rack up the body count, and you work at a disabled services center, you already know the layout and you know its not going to offer much resistance.

The people saying he was angry because of an argument might have attributed a lot of importance to something after the fact that the guy didn't actually care about.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

All you need to stop this is one police officer and one strip of DO NOT ENTER, POLICE INVESTIGATION tape.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

JT Jag posted:

All you need to stop this is one police officer and one strip of DO NOT ENTER, POLICE INVESTIGATION tape.

Budget cuts.

Thanks Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Mulva posted:

I think it also hurts us as a party when our leaders aren't willing to say such. Like it or not these people, like those in Paris, were motivated by religion; and it doesn't help the U.S., or the world, to deny that.propaganda.

How dare elected officials put the safety of innocent Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs who suffer retaliation for this poo poo above "it hurts as a party when we don't say the magic words."

• Locked thread