Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I played a tick man the other day.I tried to run around yelling eating utensils at people which is hard because they dont exist yet. They said it was inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Box status

code:
	[SKILL:WAX_WORKING]
	[DESCRIPTION:Dwarves don't know about candles, but beeswax can be cast into some really nifty little statuettes. One lump produces three pieces of art.]
	[CATEGORY:Wax products]
You can attach them to just about any reaction! First in the reaction you slam the DESCRIPTION: tag, followed with gabbing, and then you may add a CATEGORY: tag that names the entry in the workshop job menu. You can use the [CATEGORY:x] token just like that, but you can also use it as simple alias and then actually name it for the menu with [CATEGORY_NAME:x], use [CATEGORY_DESCRIPTION:x] to add a box for the category itself and drive it further down the tree of nested categories with [CATEGORY_PARENT:category alias]. According to Toady, the thing to look out for is that "just make sure the category of the reaction itself is the last defined", so those would have to go before everything else then??

The total maximum of the box varies according to some arcane whitespace rules. All capital X:s make an 18 by 18 character box topped by a single one at the start of the first line. That comes out to 325 characters, but Kirk's Razer report here cuts off at 312. Should be plenty for most uses.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
How'd you get those nice colors? Playing ascii is fine for me but the default colors for everything are really intense.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Oh, I just scooped them out of my 40.24 inits. It's a slightly modified version of Vherid's older Natural color scheme I think.

code:
These are the display colors in RGB.  The game is actually displaying extended ASCII characters in OpenGL, so you can modify the colors.

[BLACK_R:27]
[BLACK_G:18]
[BLACK_B:9]
[BLUE_R:32]
[BLUE_G:50]
[BLUE_B:150]
[GREEN_R:30]
[GREEN_G:100]
[GREEN_B:40]
[CYAN_R:16]
[CYAN_G:120]
[CYAN_B:115]
[RED_R:110]
[RED_G:20]
[RED_B:20]
[MAGENTA_R:133]
[MAGENTA_G:17]
[MAGENTA_B:171]
[BROWN_R:100]
[BROWN_G:64]
[BROWN_B:42]
[LGRAY_R:116]
[LGRAY_G:108]
[LGRAY_B:84]
[DGRAY_R:70]
[DGRAY_G:65]
[DGRAY_B:50]
[LBLUE_R:0]
[LBLUE_G:120]
[LBLUE_B:255]
[LGREEN_R:170]
[LGREEN_G:255]
[LGREEN_B:0]
[LCYAN_R:27]
[LCYAN_G:210]
[LCYAN_B:205]
[LRED_R:192]
[LRED_G:36]
[LRED_B:36]
[LMAGENTA_R:230]
[LMAGENTA_G:71]
[LMAGENTA_B:170]
[YELLOW_R:250]
[YELLOW_G:180]
[YELLOW_B:10]
[WHITE_R:220]
[WHITE_G:220]
[WHITE_B:220]

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Someone please start a project to perform a soundtrack to Dwarf Fortress using solely authentic procedurally generated dwarven instruments.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Elukka posted:

Someone please start a project to perform a soundtrack to Dwarf Fortress using solely authentic procedurally generated dwarven instruments.

Realtalk: If upon starting the game the user noticed that there was just the one default song available and then as they generated their world the soundtrack got populated with the songs of your civ it would be pretty freaking baller.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
As soon as DFHack and Therapist are updated I am making a tavern in Hell.

Maybe a temple as well.

See who comes to visit and from what direction they come.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Mzbundifund posted:

What's the 5x5 room with four statues and a table that gets the privilege of first smoothing?

Yeah, that's a small shrine I built to satisfy people's worship need. Unfortunately, I only learned later that you need a fairly large open area in the temple for the religious celebrations. Ended up converting it into a statue garden after I built a proper temple.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Toady should really let people help him develop the game

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Average Bear posted:

He does, now and then.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TheCIASentMe posted:

As soon as DFHack and Therapist are updated I am making a tavern in Hell.

Maybe a temple as well.

See who comes to visit and from what direction they come.

if my previous fort that just got razed to the ground by goblins is any clue: there will be, at any point, at least 40 fuckers milling about and drinking all of your hell booze while they socialize and listen to poetry that's satirizing war

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, that's a small shrine I built to satisfy people's worship need. Unfortunately, I only learned later that you need a fairly large open area in the temple for the religious celebrations. Ended up converting it into a statue garden after I built a proper temple.

Ah ok. I thought it might be a meeting room for merchant representatives since it's close to the entrance.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Average Bear posted:

Honestly, I think it's very telling in the year 2015, when everything has a pateron/kickstarter/whatever, that no team has made an honest to god attempt to try their own Dwarf Fortress. Dude is nuts, has been nuts for... however long this has been around god drat, he's kind of an outlier in the world.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people have tried to make their own versions of dwarf fortress. without fail they end up falling through due to a wide variety of reasons.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Presented without comment.

This civ also really loving loved wrestling competitions.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Honestly, I think it's very telling in the year 2015, when everything has a pateron/kickstarter/whatever, that no team has made an honest to god attempt to try their own Dwarf Fortress. Dude is nuts, has been nuts for... however long this has been around god drat, he's kind of an outlier in the world.

A bunch of people have tried making Dwarf Fortress clones. They've generally failed though, for various reasons.

The only decent one I've tried is Gnomoria, and I still prefer Dwarf Fortress. I haven't touched it in ages, but it was basically Dwarf Gnome Fortress with fancier graphics and less content when I tried it last. Looks like it's still getting patches though, so maybe I'll reinstall and have a look while I wait for utilities/tilesets to catch up with the current version of Dwarf Fortress.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

My current fort's civ has a lot of interesting artifacts. There's the solid stone guitar which must be played with a bone plectrum, the colossal fuckoff pipe organ that has over four hundred pipes, and the block of wood. It's just... it's just a block. You take the block and you hit it, and it makes a noise, and the noise is art.

This civ has the dwarfiest music ever.

They've invented the Mississippi Drum Machine!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Presented without comment.

This civ also really loving loved wrestling competitions.

I think you may have created the Oglaf world.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

Apoffys posted:

A bunch of people have tried making Dwarf Fortress clones. They've generally failed though, for various reasons.

The only decent one I've tried is Gnomoria, and I still prefer Dwarf Fortress. I haven't touched it in ages, but it was basically Dwarf Gnome Fortress with fancier graphics and less content when I tried it last. Looks like it's still getting patches though, so maybe I'll reinstall and have a look while I wait for utilities/tilesets to catch up with the current version of Dwarf Fortress.

Speaking as somebody doing a thing that has DF inspiration: it's really, REALLY, *really* hard. My brain hurts on a regular basis, and I'm a good programmer. I would honestly encourage other programmers thinking about tackling something like this to run screaming in the other direction.

(Also, graphics makes everything worse doing this. How do you accurately depict a --==exceptional quality minced dwarven syrup roast==--? Is there a shader for this?)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

apply a bloom filter

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Everyone who plays Dwarf Fortress eventually starts making jokes about how the program is sentient or whatever, and I'm not sure how much it's not true. It's almost like a living thing. Toady meticulously grafts on new appendages and prunes branches and guides the growth of the program like some kind of hermetic bonsai artisan. I've played and like a lot of the DF-alikes, but whatever it is that Toady's making is so bizarre and unique that I don't think it could be replicated. As others have said, it's not exactly a game anymore. It's more of a microcosmic ant farm.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nvining posted:

Speaking as somebody doing a thing that has DF inspiration: it's really, REALLY, *really* hard. My brain hurts on a regular basis, and I'm a good programmer. I would honestly encourage other programmers thinking about tackling something like this to run screaming in the other direction.

(Also, graphics makes everything worse doing this. How do you accurately depict a --==exceptional quality minced dwarven syrup roast==--? Is there a shader for this?)
Just put sparkle effects on high quality things, the more sparkly the higher quality.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Lens flares everywhere.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dwarf fortress would genuinely be hard to replicate in any form because everything about it comes together in an incredibly unique way. and since it's the original, it has a more earnest feeling about it. games that try to emulate the general aesthetic will always come off as copies and not the real thing. it also helps that toady's whole deal in general is and has been different from other game designers for the longest time and he shows no signs of stopping doing things the way he does them. i really don't envy those who go down the path that was created by dwarf fortress, because they're probably in for a Bad Time that doesn't jive well with how most game studios these days function.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Gah. Playing without Therapist is almost impossible at this point - I'm too drat used to using it.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Edit: Accidental doublepost.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Zereth posted:

Just put sparkle effects on high quality things, the more sparkly the higher quality.

This is a superior quality vampire...

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

CrazySalamander posted:

:golfclap:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

nvining posted:

MMO's solved this years ago with their color scale. Just be prepared for a fortress where everything is orange or sparkly teal.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Apoffys posted:

Alright, that's fair. When I was going for DF-clone I was going for the world part, but come to think of it there has been a lot of settlement builder games of DF's sort... which have all fell on their faces, so I guess people can't manage a relatively simpler thing, why expect a world. :v:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Alright, that's fair. When I was going for DF-clone I was going for the world part, but come to think of it there has been a lot of settlement builder games of DF's sort... which have all fell on their faces, so I guess people can't manage a relatively simpler thing, why expect a world. :v:

The only game that I've ever really seen as coming close to DF in terms of random worldbuilding stuff is Ultima Ratio Regum. It's still in alpha, but the devblog is absolutely fascinating, if not as funny as the DF one can be.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Is anyone tracking Therapist? I am just dying without it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's relying on the same structure maps as DFHack. The wait goes on.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just dick around in adventurer mode; no need for a therapist even if you start crying uncontrollably.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CrazySalamander posted:

Hahaha oh drat, well played :golfclap:

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

dwarf fortress would genuinely be hard to replicate in any form because everything about it comes together in an incredibly unique way. and since it's the original, it has a more earnest feeling about it. games that try to emulate the general aesthetic will always come off as copies and not the real thing. it also helps that toady's whole deal in general is and has been different from other game designers for the longest time and he shows no signs of stopping doing things the way he does them. i really don't envy those who go down the path that was created by dwarf fortress, because they're probably in for a Bad Time that doesn't jive well with how most game studios these days function.

The only thing that comes to mind is Aurora, which is an extremely complex space 4x, but Steve Walmsley has other irons in the fire and it's not his full-time or even part-time job, just a hobby, so it doesn't get updated often at all. I don't know if it's something a studio could ever do, it relies on a dedicated and totally batshit (in the best way) individual.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Just caught my tavernkeeper letting some fine visitors know about the wonderful fortress of SafeBowel; apparently founded about 25 years prior to my own story.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

nvining posted:

Multithreading too. Everything's messing with everything else for all sorts of reasons and they're all freeform object graphs with no sensible synchronization scheme.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Elukka posted:

It occurs to me that Toady has invented the procedural Harry Partch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Dig this, more sources of save corruption.

Toady One posted:

I fixed a calendar crash, and a crash with children socializing that typically happened when children arrived with immigrant waves. I patched out an adventure corruption crash, but I haven't gotten to the heart of it yet. I've fixed the problem with the "Worship!" activity not branching into specific activities that satisfy needs (so people will actually use your temples properly now). Temples in the location list show their deity now. Vampires are not outed on the occupation list.