Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Military first or second is pretty much always a bad idea. It seems like getting a bunch of bonuses early for your military would be great, but the problem is that the early military tech is absolutely crucial and makes a way bigger difference than any idea group. Basically being ahead in military tech for the first 9-10 tech levels is almost always a massive advantage so taking a military idea is best delayed. I almost always go military as my 3rd idea, but that depends on your nation/situation so you can play it by ear.

e: With Russia in particular you should wait to grab a military idea as your 3rd, maybe even 4th one. All of your neighbors with the exception of Sweden and Lithuania are complete pushovers thanks to Muscovy's manpower and force limit, so you can safely stall on your military idea upgrades until you've got a big enough economy to afford a huge army. Just don't pick fights in Europe and keep an eye on your aggressive expansion so that all of Asia doesn't form a coalition against you and you'll be fine.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any tips for actually colonisation? Like which provonces to tale, high trade or high dev? Good goods? Strategic importance? I escaped to the RNW as Navarra, I have exploration and economic but my money is barely enough to austain one colony. Any tips? I have 2 10+ provinces and 2 trade ones.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

Any tips for actually colonisation? Like which provonces to tale, high trade or high dev? Good goods? Strategic importance? I escaped to the RNW as Navarra, I have exploration and economic but my money is barely enough to austain one colony. Any tips? I have 2 10+ provinces and 2 trade ones.

Always get the centres of trade and estuaries if you can. Other than that, high development I guess.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sistergodiva posted:

In my experience you will frequently go bankrupt at least once as a weak lovely OPM colonizing.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I realize this was probably in the game for ages, but somehow I never got around to playing EU4 during the Christmas season before.

Deck the Halls, Falalalan. :3:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Just started a Mamluks game, and I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I could go for Arabia I guess. Exploration or Expansion might be good if I want to sneak over to southeast Asia or colonize all of Africa for maximum map painting. Not sure if I'll need religious ideas or not if I can just plop down Ulema estates to help with conversions in rough spots. Any thoughts about that? I haven't played Mamluks much, what's fun to do with them?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm aiming for the "start as a <50 custom nation and get 2000+ development" achievement, I take it colonial nations don't count at all? But trade companies probably do, right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tomn posted:

I realize this was probably in the game for ages, but somehow I never got around to playing EU4 during the Christmas season before.

Deck the Halls, Falalalan. :3:

I was in the same boat this year and thought it was amazing.

I also didn't realize until like two or three replays of the song later that they actually changed the Deck the Halls lyrics to be more grand-strategy-ish, too. A really nice touch on that free Christmas DLC.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Can a kind soul post an idiot's guide to getting PUs? The wiki article is confusing and I am dumb :saddowns:

Is it just be bigger than them, have royal marriage, hope they don't get a heir? How do I get my dynasty on another nation's throne?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 4, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jamsque posted:

Thanks for the tips, I think I'm gonna restart and go for Religious ideas first. I see what you mean about the Novgorod mission, what I did was take the mission to re-conquer your core in Arkhangelsk first but having all the claims would have made coring the other provinces I took in that war cheaper.

Is it really not worth taking a military idea chain first or second with such a combat-heavy nation? I guess I don't really know what advantages are to be gained by getting out to the Pacific as quickly as possible.

If you look, military tactics are very common St early levels. Tactics advantages are worth way more than 2-2 ideas. Note that if you get some kind of 3/1/6 monarch you can go ahead and take offensive or something instead of exploration and just take it next. There's rally not much disadvantage go falling behind in diplo tech as Russia or any land based nation early on. I just mean do you don't overcap on military points.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kersch posted:

Just started a Mamluks game, and I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I could go for Arabia I guess. Exploration or Expansion might be good if I want to sneak over to southeast Asia or colonize all of Africa for maximum map painting. Not sure if I'll need religious ideas or not if I can just plop down Ulema estates to help with conversions in rough spots. Any thoughts about that? I haven't played Mamluks much, what's fun to do with them?

Incite religious rebels to rise up, use them to convert you to Catholic. Take religious ideas and expand into Asia and Africa like a madman while you use your France/Castille /Austria alliances to keep you safe. You can also get into Crimea pretty safely and ally Poland.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
How much does income take off in the last 150 years? I've only reached the end once, and that was about CoP time. I'm 150 years from the end now, tech 22 about to come out, and I'm still 260 ducats/month away from Ideas Guy... and there's no trade route from the Ivory Coast to the New World, so I won't be able to chain that as you usually would with a European nation. I'm colonising 8 provinces at once (can probably stand to go up to 9 tbh) but it's not gonna be even close at the current rate. I'm the biggest country in the world so mass conquest of the rest of the colonised new world is on the way after I get imperialism CB in 2 techs time, but I'm still unsure whether it's gonna be enough :(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Allyn posted:

How much does income take off in the last 150 years? I've only reached the end once, and that was about CoP time. I'm 150 years from the end now, tech 22 about to come out, and I'm still 260 ducats/month away from Ideas Guy... and there's no trade route from the Ivory Coast to the New World, so I won't be able to chain that as you usually would with a European nation. I'm colonising 8 provinces at once (can probably stand to go up to 9 tbh) but it's not gonna be even close at the current rate. I'm the biggest country in the world so mass conquest of the rest of the colonised new world is on the way after I get imperialism CB in 2 techs time, but I'm still unsure whether it's gonna be enough :(

Can't you send Asian trade to the Americas? Or just expand into Europe

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Can't you send Asian trade to the Americas? Or just expand into Europe

Nope, no link that way either. And all the European land will be at 75% autonomy. I'll probably end up doing that anyway because I have manpower to burn but it's not gonna be particularly fruitful

I mean, consider this: I have 1587 development right now and I'm only making 210 gold/month, 134 from production/tax. I'd have to conquer 6000 development at 75% autonomy to get another 134. Trade makes up most of it, but still...

Allyn fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 4, 2015

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Allyn posted:

Nope, no link that way either. And all the European land will be at 75% autonomy. I'll probably end up doing that anyway because I have manpower to burn but it's not gonna be particularly fruitful

I mean, consider this: I have 1587 development right now and I'm only making 210 gold/month, 134 from production/tax. I'd have to conquer 6000 development at 75% autonomy to get another 134. Trade makes up most of it, but still...

Manufactories everywhere, and if you're not using RNW, route trade from Asia around Africa into the Caribbean?

Otherwise I guess go conquer Seville, Venice, or Antwerp.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 4, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Am I making a mistake by giving estates only the bare minimum provinces?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weird, I'm running with a random new world and while I have found some islands I can't see where the trade goes. No connections at all unless it connects down at the Cape node.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Poil posted:

Weird, I'm running with a random new world and while I have found some islands I can't see where the trade goes. No connections at all unless it connects down at the Cape node.

It might go to Asia, in which case SORRY EUROPE

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You need to uncover more of the TI, connections don't reveal themselves immediately. Pretty much all the random new worlds that I've seen seem pretty poo poo for income though, the vanilla one is way better.

Allyn posted:

If you don't have Europe under your thumb, pretty much the best way to make mad trade bucks is to conquer the entire Ivory Coast and South Africa and then set your trade capital to the latter, while funneling all the money from Asia into that trade node. You don't even need to conquer Asia for yourself, just make protectorates all over and use the subject interaction to make them give you all their trade power and keep funneling it along.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Freudian posted:

It might go to Asia, in which case SORRY EUROPE
That'd be hilarious. Especially since I'm playing as Hamburg and new world trade doesn't exactly flow well to Lübeck.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Elman posted:

I'm aiming for the "start as a <50 custom nation and get 2000+ development" achievement, I take it colonial nations don't count at all? But trade companies probably do, right?

Yep. Colonies are your vassals, trade companies are you with some modifiers attached.

Baron Porkface posted:

Am I making a mistake by giving estates only the bare minimum provinces?

No, unless you want/need more loyalty, or you want to take advantage of religious conversion boosts by assigning/revoking repeatedly with the Clergy.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Has anyone else had the AI bug out by walking back and forth between 2 provinces? It keeps happening and it really just hosed me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

Has anyone else had the AI bug out by walking back and forth between 2 provinces? It keeps happening and it really just hosed me.

Move onto one of the provinces with Attach to this Army checked. They're trying to attach to each other but keep getting movement locked into the other province.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hahaha, the trade routes in the new world only lead west. One of the small islands is like right next to the Azores but nope, can't sail that way.

Also I vassalized Brunswick and annexed them and it turned out they had given the nobles estates on every single province they had. :suicide:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Poil posted:

That'd be hilarious. Especially since I'm playing as Hamburg and new world trade doesn't exactly flow well to Lübeck.

In that case, I would actually suggest still colonising to get further West, and start colonising Siberia, while land conquering towards Russia. Make the New World trade go through Russia to you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How does one reduce the influence of an Estate? My Tribes are sitting around 70% all the time, from 10% Base, 20% number of provinces, and 40% number of cities. I have no idea what that number of cities modifier actually comes from; am I just too big, and bound to face a showdown in the near future?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pretty much the only reliable way is to revoke their land. You'll lose a lot of loyalty, but if you're at risk of getting the disaster, it's worth it. Keep in mind that losing loyalty isn't a huge deal as long as you keep it above 30.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
IMO Kamelot would have been a way better choice for a music DLC than Sabaton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJeqUW-T5hE

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

How does one reduce the influence of an Estate? My Tribes are sitting around 70% all the time, from 10% Base, 20% number of provinces, and 40% number of cities. I have no idea what that number of cities modifier actually comes from; am I just too big, and bound to face a showdown in the near future?

Cities is 10% for every 10 provinces you own, capped at 40%. The disaster's nasty (1 stab hit at start, +50% tech cost +50% idea cost, need 1 stab to take the decision to get out of it, decision costs 3 stab and 2 development in your capital) soooo sacrifice your loyalty, basically. Sucks but it's what you gotta do.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fair enough, time to start cracking down on these chumps while hoping Ming doesn't try to wreck me again.

Why does Ming never fall apart in my games? :smith:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sistergodiva posted:

It depends, I guess? Ultimately, the most profitable thing is to funnel all of your trade into your capital / trade capital zone. So any trade nodes that feed into your target node are candidates for grabbing all the high trade provinces, as is your target node.

If you can't get your hands on their trade (e.g. you're in Caribbean but the province is in St. Lawrence) then just grab the richest provinces - you'll only be getting tax + production from those probably.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
Any ideas as to why the decision to adopt plutocratic government would vanish, while the other two remain? I fill all the requirements, but the decision just isn't showing up.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

TITY BOI posted:

Any ideas as to why the decision to adopt plutocratic government would vanish, while the other two remain? I fill all the requirements, but the decision just isn't showing up.

Are you too large?

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Dibujante posted:

Are you too large?

Yeah, I'm an idiot. Some colonies put me over the limit, hopefully the decision will come back when the CN forms.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK so I will be restarting a France game soon and enact my revenge over Austria.

What's the accepted "best" idea set for France? I'm thinking:

- Influence (grab vassals in the first few decades, then influence gives me more money, troops and lessens the impact of the inevitable massive AE pileup)
- Exploration (bolster my economy and prestige with a big colonization effort, grab the best land early, integrate natives for fast growth with that France idea)
- Offensive / Quantity (smash everybody either with godly generals or overwhelming numbers)
- Admin (by this time I should be tough enough to start grabbing the real good, developed land in Europe from the big guys and I'll need mercs / reduced core costs)
- Economic (more money, less inflation = loans and cash to fuel CONSTANT WAR)
- the other military idea that I didn't pick before
- Humanism to appease the clusterfuck of culture/religion that I will be by now
- whatever, probably Innovative just for the epic policies it unlocks

does that sound about right? I'm not sure about admin, I don't really like using huge amounts of mercs because I'm not that good at managing my economy, but everybody rates it as a top tier group...

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Is there any way to revert back to Tengri after taking the Form Manchu decision?

Syncretic faiths are too much fun to just give up.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Dikkfor posted:

Is there any way to revert back to Tengri after taking the Form Manchu decision?

Syncretic faiths are too much fun to just give up.

Only through rebellion. One trick for this is to set the funding on your missionaries to 0, so that they stir up trouble but don't otherwise convert your provinces.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

TorakFade posted:

OK so I will be restarting a France game soon and enact my revenge over Austria.

What's the accepted "best" idea set for France? I'm thinking:

- Influence (grab vassals in the first few decades, then influence gives me more money, troops and lessens the impact of the inevitable massive AE pileup)
- Exploration (bolster my economy and prestige with a big colonization effort, grab the best land early, integrate natives for fast growth with that France idea)
- Offensive / Quantity (smash everybody either with godly generals or overwhelming numbers)
- Admin (by this time I should be tough enough to start grabbing the real good, developed land in Europe from the big guys and I'll need mercs / reduced core costs)
- Economic (more money, less inflation = loans and cash to fuel CONSTANT WAR)
- the other military idea that I didn't pick before
- Humanism to appease the clusterfuck of culture/religion that I will be by now
- whatever, probably Innovative just for the epic policies it unlocks

does that sound about right? I'm not sure about admin, I don't really like using huge amounts of mercs because I'm not that good at managing my economy, but everybody rates it as a top tier group...

Looks pretty good. Ideas are fairly balanced nowadays, so pretty much any ideas you go with will be fine as long as you actually focus on taking advantage of them. Only changes I'd think about would be taking Quality instead of Quantity and Trade instead of Economic. France is big enough that you'll be able to field a sizeable army even without Quantity, and Quality will push your already-good troops into godmode. Then I'd take Trade since by then you should have a pretty good grip on the New World so Trade will help you lock down the flow of income so that it goes directly to you rather than being spread out across multiple end nodes where other European countries can get a piece for themselves.

And yeah Admin's a good idea set, even if you don't actually plan on using a ton of mercenaries. The core creation cost bonus makes a very sizeable difference, especially on big provinces in the mid/late game like you mentioned.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Heads up for anyone getting For Odin, Greenland is part of Scandinavia but if you have a Canadian CN it'll go to them so you have to release them and take it. It stumped me for a minute since they're the same color.

When Mexico gets cut off from itself:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Dibujante posted:

Only through rebellion. One trick for this is to set the funding on your missionaries to 0, so that they stir up trouble but don't otherwise convert your provinces.

Does this work for Tengri? I was under the impression that pagan rebels can't convert you, and that's why Judaism was broken a few patches ago

• Locked thread